Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Natsuumi posted:

Unless it's for mission they're just like any other random cargo. Radio Skvortsov has lead me to believe that when you sell escape pods you're selling them into slavery.

I have nothing to compare it to, but when I was doing the sirius grind, I sold a bunch of manned escape pods when I was offloading exploration data, and the 8 or so pods seemed to give a nice chunk of reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
So from what I'm seeing, the gravy train is about to end, but it's still possible to farm the dregs as long as I don't mind becoming Wanted and practicing my fast docking/trying to make the 10Kls trip back to the station without getting interdicted and killed?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

adamantium|wang posted:

Yeah I wouldn't have even looked at any of these kill missions were it not for skimmers counting for them. Who the hell is going to spend a day killing 72 ships for the princely sum of 6 million? And that's one of the ones you get after grinding your rep with them to the max. At the very least they need to stick an extra zero on the end of that to make it remotely worth considering.

Me, but I have a specific goal in mind that isn't achievable by any other means - BGS manipulation.

You're right that I would not seek these out otherwise tho. 6 million to risk my 500million ship in one of the riskiest PVE zones? lmao

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So is frontier ever going to balance money, at all?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
If I had to guess I'd say not until they also rebalance ship and module costs.

Right now ships follow a 'strictly better than' model except right at the top. It is very much intended for these top ships to be able to poo poo all over everything with impunity.

I don't see this ever happening.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Breetai posted:

So from what I'm seeing, the gravy train is about to end, but it's still possible to farm the dregs as long as I don't mind becoming Wanted and practicing my fast docking/trying to make the 10Kls trip back to the station without getting interdicted and killed?

Eventually they stop giving the massacre missions until the next war starts. There is some delay from the time war ends to when missions stop because they are already in the queue. If you're online and getting missions, go for it, if you're not already in system, best to wait until the next war starts. It seems as though people are actively pushing the system to war as fast as possible so the wait may not be long.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Chrysophylax posted:

Me, but I have a specific goal in mind that isn't achievable by any other means - BGS manipulation.

You're right that I would not seek these out otherwise tho. 6 million to risk my 500million ship in one of the riskiest PVE zones? lmao

"Risk"

FWIW 6 million for 72 ships is like 83,000 a ship which isn't too far off from what you'd average bounty hunting It might be faster because a CZ is always target-rich, it doesn't matter what you kill, and you get combat vouchers on the side. It's not good but it's not especially worse than the normal alternatives.

In general the progression curve more or less works up to an A-rated Vulture and then gently caress you.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Now that I'm a mini space-Trump how's the FDL? Any better than a Vulture or is it just an overpriced side-grade?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
The discussion should be comparing 100 million for 72 ships. :v:

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

adamantium|wang posted:

Now that I'm a mini space-Trump how's the FDL? Any better than a Vulture or is it just an overpriced side-grade?

FDL is a fuckin beast

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

timn posted:

"Risk"

I mean yeah, I haven't lost a ship to an NPC in over a year, but the average player sucks if the threads on the brown sea/reddit are anything to go by

So I imagine that there is an actual risk for them. I don't think balancing around end game sperglords like me is the way to go

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

DarthBlingBling posted:

FDL is a fuckin beast

Seconding this. It's not quite as manuverable as a vulture, but with dd5 and that c4, you can kill drat near anything. Hell, I recall blowing up multiple cap ships in one night while winged up with Para and a few others.

E: wing of 4 FDLs with c4 heal beams and 4 c2 modded MCs is basically beast mode.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I think they believe they are balancing money by making everything equally unprofitable.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
So, I'm trying to unlock Ram Tah to get those :sicknasty: utility mods, and his requirement is 50 classified scan databanks. Okay, sound excessive, but maybe they are easy to get, right?

Wrong :trumppop:

They come from scanning transport ships, I'm finding them at a rate of ~1/100. So, here I am, flying around high-population systems in trade lanes scanning random transports and passenger ships in the hopes that 17 of them will drop this one mat which is used for nothing else...

Like, who sits around and thinks "let's make people fly around systems not even doing anything for hours on end so that they can really feel like they earned it."

Gameplay Status: ~immersed~ :pcgaming:

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

So, I'm trying to unlock Ram Tah to get those :sicknasty: utility mods, and his requirement is 50 classified scan databanks. Okay, sound excessive, but maybe they are easy to get, right?

Wrong :trumppop:

They come from scanning transport ships, I'm finding them at a rate of ~1/100. So, here I am, flying around high-population systems in trade lanes scanning random transports and passenger ships in the hopes that 17 of them will drop this one mat which is used for nothing else...

Like, who sits around and thinks "let's make people fly around systems not even doing anything for hours on end so that they can really feel like they earned it."

Gameplay Status: ~immersed~ :pcgaming:

They come as mission rewards too. I got all 50 from the 17 draco loot pinata.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Lol, no. Of course not.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

TorakFade posted:

This does need nerfing because I think it's absolutely unintended - the "killing skimmers as ships since they aren't targetable and obviously useless against a proper spaceship" part - what really needs to be fixed is the mission rewards.

A payout of anything less than 300-500k is frankly unacceptable for anything above a Vulture. Being offered 20k to take my spaceship 3 systems over for whatever reason is fine when I'm in a Sidewinder, not when I'm in a Python.

Surely :frontear: has to realize nobody would move a Python (a 56 million ship in its most basic form) for anything less than 6 figures, preferably 7. Let me kill a few Clippers, maybe ranging from 5 to 15, for 1 million each on top of any bounties. A tough mission like an Elite Pirate Lord in a souped up Battleconda should net you at the very least 10-20 millions, more if you're friendly or allied. Or a carrying job of 200 tons halfway across the bubble, or an exploration mission to relatively nearby places like Canis Majoris. maybe a 100+ mil reward to bring some poo poo to Colonia. You want to be taken to the center of the galaxy and back within two weeks? That'll be a billion, friend.

Then there is no need for easy cash grinds anymore. You have your more long term, dangerous missions that reward you big allowing you to get top tier stuff and upgrades eventually, or quicker low-to-mid earning ones (excellent for newbies too) or when you just have 10 minutes and want to buy a Cobra for poo poo and giggles, or when you don't want to risk a rebuy.

Guarantee a total of 3 of each type per faction, randomize a bit and voila, you fixed the economy

But this is :frontear:, where fuel and ammo costs used to literally make you run missions at a deficit. A spaceship game where you could go bankrupt just playing it the intended way. I have no hope

This would make things a lot more entertaining.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
How could Frontier "balance" money without ducking over people who worked for their wealth?

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

TorakFade posted:

But this is :frontear:, where fuel and ammo costs used to literally make you run missions at a deficit. A spaceship game where you could go bankrupt just playing it the intended way. I have no hope

Reminder that :frontear: eventually fixed this and the fix completely broke early game progression.

To me this means that there's some ultra-grognard game designer at odds with someone saner. They set the ship and module costs in stone then started moving money earned steadily up (for the most part) without ever revisiting this, it's pretty funny

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

How could Frontier "balance" money without ducking over people who worked for their wealth?

I'm more interested to know if players accumulate long service leave for all their work.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Chrysophylax posted:

Reminder that :frontear: eventually fixed this and the fix completely broke early game progression.

To me this means that there's some ultra-grognard game designer at odds with someone saner. They set the ship and module costs in stone then started moving money earned steadily up (for the most part) without ever revisiting this, it's pretty funny

It's Sandro.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Sard posted:

give us a year of crisis where credits no longer have any recognized value

Crash the space economy in the bubble. Anyone who seriously, laboriously, mindbendingly traded or 20k-payout jobbed their way to an A-rated Anaconda will not complain because it'll be a roleplay wonderland. Go nuts, make purchases rare but introduce crashed ships and modules that you can salvage parts from to eventually construct a complete version, figure out some way to handwave insurance replacements, and use the months to figure out a working economy and introduce a new currency for it so everyone starts at zero in the bank and whatever ships they have.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Sard posted:

Crash the space economy in the bubble. Anyone who seriously, laboriously, mindbendingly traded or 20k-payout jobbed their way to an A-rated Anaconda will not complain because it'll be a roleplay wonderland. Go nuts, make purchases rare but introduce crashed ships and modules that you can salvage parts from to eventually construct a complete version, figure out some way to handwave insurance replacements, and use the months to figure out a working economy and introduce a new currency for it so everyone starts at zero in the bank and whatever ships they have.

I like the idea about salvaged parts and wish they had something like that from the start.
Any other space game handles that by having destroyed ships drop something useful. Elite's ships always explode into a pile of nothing useful.

An actual useful salvage system where you can buy a salvage permit would be great. Without a permit when you find a wreck in a USS anything you find is marked as illegal. With a permit all the junk you find is yours for the taking and you don't have to worry about it being illegal goods.

Don't even get me started on how they need to make scan-proof cargo bays. Good for smugglers and miners alike.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Sard posted:

Quote your sources...

Turmoil posted:

I like the idea about salvaged parts and wish they had something like that from the start.
Any other space game handles that by having destroyed ships drop something useful. Elite's ships always explode into a pile of nothing useful.

An actual useful salvage system where you can buy a salvage permit would be great. Without a permit when you find a wreck in a USS anything you find is marked as illegal. With a permit all the junk you find is yours for the taking and you don't have to worry about it being illegal goods.

Don't even get me started on how they need to make scan-proof cargo bays. Good for smugglers and miners alike.

I see you've been grinding for chemical manipulators? :haw:

Seriously though, that sounds terrible. After changes like these, instead of going to one place and paying an absurd price for my modules, I'll have to go to 100 randomly spawning planetary sites in the hopes that enough of them spawn the parts I'm looking for... :jerkbag:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Never trust a man with a dunce hat.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
All they have to do is sell currency for real money and everything economywise is fixed.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Quote your sources...

Seriously though, that sounds terrible. After changes like these, instead of going to one place and paying an absurd price for my modules, I'll have to go to 100 randomly spawning planetary sites in the hopes that enough of them spawn the parts I'm looking for... :jerkbag:

I'm not saying it'd be the best solution, just that if you want to get as close to a reset as possible without alienating the playerbase who ground everything out without exploits, then something drastic in-universe would have to happen. Maybe keep things safe and status quo in Colonia so you can ride it out over there, but you'd probably only take one ship with you unless you can stomach that much travel so there's another form of soft reset. As far as as salvage goes, I do want that to happen as an alternative path to ownership. I was thinking something more manageable as far as finding scrap goes, but it'd be up to Fdev so, well. Like, you could actually make a large ship without finding 200 polarity reversal modules, instead needing only days of searching but you'd probably have a subpar ship using wornout parts. Search longer and you could find better components to swap in, or maybe have the engineers offer restoration services.

Sard fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 30, 2016

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Killing skimmers is easy so I did it until I had enough rank and money to get a corvette. Then I saw a chrome paintjob for that corvette gave frontier five of my real-life dollars.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I have no idea, but I don't care. When you have a very sick dog that is evidently suffering without hope of recovery, the nice thing to do is put it down and get a new dog, not keep putting band-aids on it.

Also Frontier has already "hosed over" people who worked for their wealth, remember the early days when bounties were 5k-15k and a 'conda kill in a CZ was literally worth 200 credits? Back when doing rare runs was the only way to make around 1 mil / hour and you'd consider yourself really lucky to get such profits? Well since that day payouts for bounties, missions, exploration have been boosted 10-100x, and nobody (sane) is complaining about it.

Unsurprisingly, the only ones that complain are grognards that spend hours upon hours each day grinding money and rank, and don't want others (especially "scrubs" that don't have the game since day 1) to have money / rank.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 30, 2016

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Any chance we see another civil war in 17 Draconis over the weekend, or has the ship sailed at this point?

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Soon I'll start grinding for them. Right now I've just been trying to get to level 5 with Felicity with dropping base elements that I got from mining. 85% to go.

But yes, Frontier would find a way to kill any good ideas with salvage for modules and make it a huge grind just for the most basic things.
"You found a damaged 5C Life Support. If you want to fix it, you'll need 200 sulfur and 10 worn shield emitters."

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

By earn wealth do you mean tagging targets at nav beacons or taking advantage of money "exploits" for lack of a better term, or are there people still space trucking it and mining it to their first 10 mil?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Turmoil posted:

Soon I'll start grinding for them. Right now I've just been trying to get to level 5 with Felicity with dropping base elements that I got from mining. 85% to go.

But yes, Frontier would find a way to kill any good ideas with salvage for modules and make it a huge grind just for the most basic things.
"You found a damaged 5C Life Support. If you want to fix it, you'll need 200 sulfur and 10 worn shield emitters."

"And one unit of Arsenic"

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Turmoil posted:

Ah but just wait for the ship naming! Each letter will surely take hours of farming and obviously the order of the letters will be random because immersion! :frogbon:

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I think we've had this discussion several times and came to the conclusion that you could add a 0 to every mission payout/trade commodity sale price and money acquisition still wouldn't be fast enough to own more than one tricked out large ship after a month of playing the game normally.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
If boarding and stealing ships was a thing, or being able to take the modules and weapons off the ship you just killed the economy wouldnt be so bad. Its like they planned the economy around a distant feature they might implement years down the road.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't even mind if normal-play income was as abysmal as it always has been, as long as every once in awhile the tidal forces of the game's BGS and procedural generation admixture produced anomalies of short-lived high income opportunities that weren't rooted in exploits. It's fun when stuff gets discovered by the community and everyone rushes together to join in the latest California gold rush for awhile. Stuff like that is a good way to keep YouTubers and streamers driving interest in the game and keeps dedicated players changing up their routine.

But nope, :frontear:. Stuff like this is always more of an exploit rather than an intentional design decision.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Coming back to the game after a bit of a break. Any recommendations on what to do? I'm honestly a bit lost with all of the stuff that's changed since I played last. I have a vulture, asp, and an eagle.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Siets posted:

I wouldn't even mind if normal-play income was as abysmal as it always has been, as long as every once in awhile the tidal forces of the game's BGS and procedural generation admixture produced anomalies of short-lived high income opportunities that weren't rooted in exploits. It's fun when stuff gets discovered by the community and everyone rushes together to join in the latest California gold rush for awhile. Stuff like that is a good way to keep YouTubers and streamers driving interest in the game and keeps dedicated players changing up their routine.

But nope, :frontear:. Stuff like this is always more of an exploit rather than an intentional design decision.
It's possible that the cycle of "players find exploit, forumdads whine about exploit, devs patch exploit" is actually the intended design - Braben was always talking about there being gold rushes that would attract huge swarms of players trying to get rich while they lasted, you can't say he wasn't right. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

It's possible that the cycle of "players find exploit, forumdads whine about exploit, devs patch exploit" is actually the intended design - Braben was always talking about there being gold rushes that would attract huge swarms of players trying to get rich while they lasted, you can't say he wasn't right. :v:
Emergent game design.

• Locked thread