Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Indy does seem alot like a Tilkedrome

There are no hairpins on Indy though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

njsykora posted:

There are no hairpins on Indy though.

Only the one that leads to victory lane. :getin:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I've always been curious how the "500", Sebring, Daytona, Le Mans, and US/Canadian GP's would look if it were indeed like the 60's or so.

Not so much the cars being potential fiery death traps, but the amount of people from outside of the typical norm showing up to run cars at those events.

Mario Andretti winning Daytona. The Wood Bros. teaming up with Jim Clark to win Indy. Jack Brabham showing up at Indy with the rear engine car to completely change the game. Cale, and the Allison bros. running Indy. Parnelli, Dan Gurney, and Penske running F1.

These are type of things I wish we could see happen more often in modern times.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I've always been curious how the "500", Sebring, Daytona, Le Mans, and US/Canadian GP's would look if it were indeed like the 60's or so.

Not so much the cars being potential fiery death traps, but the amount of people from outside of the typical norm showing up to run cars at those events.

Mario Andretti winning Daytona. The Wood Bros. teaming up with Jim Clark to win Indy. Jack Brabham showing up at Indy with the rear engine car to completely change the game. Cale, and the Allison bros. running Indy. Parnelli, Dan Gurney, and Penske running F1.

These are type of things I wish we could see happen more often in modern times.

back then race fans were race fans and it made sense

nowadays you don't generally have race fans, you have NASCAR fans, Indy fans, F1 fans etc

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd say there was also more crossover in terms of driving skill and engineering ability, when everything was a tube frame with no downforce and lovely tires. A skilled team could reasonably expect to be successful, or at least not completely lost, with an otherwise unfamiliar car.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

The Wood Bros. teaming up with Jim Clark to win Indy.

Filling the car up with gas on race day; truly an epic contribution by the Wood Brothers. Certainly worthy of being talked about decades after it happened.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

VikingSkull posted:

back then race fans were race fans and it made sense

nowadays you don't generally have race fans, you have NASCAR fans, Indy fans, F1 fans etc

Back in the day it made sense that race fans would like all kinds of racing, since all the different disciplines were really pushing the envelope with speed and technology. It was all happening in different ways, but the tide was rising for everyone.

Today, speed and technology advances are limited or too expensive to attain, so now the racing series has to rely on what makes them stand out. Race fans are still race fans but they're going to have different tastes and preferences and will gravitate towards series that best matches up with those.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I just don't have the time to closely follow every major racing series. The advantage of F1 is that most of the races are on at strange hours and never conflict with anything else (except sleeping).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
New Thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3803471

• Locked thread