Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Barudak posted:

Eternal Darkness.

ED didn't have a Wii version, but it was a drat good horror game.

I guess I think RE4's influence stretches further than just the immediate year or two after it's release. There were definitely third person games before it but just going off what I saw as a teen there was one hell of a boom afterwards (not to mention a massive improvement in design quality).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

ED didn't have a Wii version, but it was a drat good horror game.

I guess I think RE4's influence stretches further than just the immediate year or two after it's release. There were definitely third person games before it but just going off what I saw as a teen there was one hell of a boom afterwards (not to mention a massive improvement in design quality).

Resident Evil 4 was January of 2005. Gears of War was November 2006. Like it absolutely was influential in making Gears of War, but Gears of War is why that Third Person Shooter concept fuckin exploded.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psGKXEbT0s

A bunch of my PS1 games were pirated versions of Japan/Asia region versions, so it was a real nostalgia rush for me when I saw this years later, which was on the Japanese SF Alpha disc. :allears:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Dewgy posted:

How about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psGKXEbT0s

A bunch of my PS1 games were pirated versions of Japan/Asia region versions, so it was a real nostalgia rush for me when I saw this years later, which was on the Japanese SF Alpha disc. :allears:

Hot drat that's beautiful. J-pop makes everything better!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
discovered the other week or so when i was ripping all my console games games to my 3tb hdd (show off post) that the redone hosed up soundtrack is only for the dualshock version of the directors cut, my uk pal directors cut with no dualshock support that comes with the demo of re2 has the original music even in director's cut mode. the more you know. also re1, both remake and original, are amazing. you might be 12 and/or a soulless husk if you think otherwise. i played the saturn version back in the day on release and it was mind blowing. (also while we're on show and tell, the saturn version had monsters that are not in the psx version, including 2 tyrant fights weird tic hunters and a lovely battle mode.)

anyway continuing my "replay every RE game i can before 7 hits" and i've blasted through all scenarios in resident evil 2 now, gently caress that game still owns. i did claireA and leonB which i don't usually do and i legit got stuck a few times trying to remember what to do, it's been awhile. the bit when you go back through the small hallway and the hands come smashing out of the window still, in the year 2016, made me jump half a mile. kinda worried they will gently caress the remake up big time.

should i go outbreak file1/2 next or just go straight into re3? trying to go chronological but these things all take place at the same time. also i've never played outbreak before, should i bother?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

discovered the other week or so when i was ripping all my console games games to my 3tb hdd (show off post) that the redone hosed up soundtrack is only for the dualshock version of the directors cut, my uk pal directors cut with no dualshock support that comes with the demo of re2 has the original music even in director's cut mode. the more you know. also re1, both remake and original, are amazing. you might be 12 and/or a soulless husk if you think otherwise. i played the saturn version back in the day on release and it was mind blowing. (also while we're on show and tell, the saturn version had monsters that are not in the psx version, including 2 tyrant fights weird tic hunters and a lovely battle mode.)

The composer for the infamous dualshock version was a famous deaf composer by the name Mamoru Samuragochi who got in trouble a few years ago when he admitted that he hired people to do his work in his name starting back in about 1996.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Plan Z posted:

The composer for the infamous dualshock version was a famous deaf composer by the name Mamoru Samuragochi who got in trouble a few years ago when he admitted that he hired people to do his work in his name starting back in about 1996.

More than that, it turns out he wasn't even deaf.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Plan Z posted:

hahaha i read about that, didn't realize it was the same dude. amazing.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Is the dualshock version the Director's Cut that's on the store as a PS Classic? I know I own some version of RE1 for PSX but I don't know how that works with the digital releases.

John Luebke
Jun 1, 2011

Dewgy posted:

Is the dualshock version the Director's Cut that's on the store as a PS Classic? I know I own some version of RE1 for PSX but I don't know how that works with the digital releases.

The Dualshock version is the one in the US PSN store (Though there's no mention of it being the Dualshock version.), while the regular DC with the original soundtrack is up on both the european and japanese stores. I don't know what Capcom USA was thinking, making only that version available digitally.

Oh, and btw, to get back to the earlier discussion, the DC's Arranged Mode as Chris is the best rendition of RE1, even the REmake can't compete.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dewgy posted:

The Dual Shock version of the Director's Cut is the one available on PSN.

e;fb

EDIT: On a totally unrelated note thanks to everyone who recommended I download Silent Hill from PSN. I beat it tonight and quite enjoyed the game overall.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 29, 2016

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Vikar Jerome posted:

should i go outbreak file1/2 next or just go straight into re3? trying to go chronological but these things all take place at the same time. also i've never played outbreak before, should i bother?

I'm probably alone in saying this but I say play both of them. They're not really connected to anything else that I can remember. You just play as some random civilians when poo poo hits the fan in Racoon City. They're solid games, though. If you're pressed for time, play just Outbreak #2. If you're really pressed for time, then skip both of them.

I wish those ones got ported to PC with working multiplayer. That'd be rad. Becoming infected and turning into a zombie and working against your former teammates was a really cool idea.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Vikar Jerome posted:

I'm not 100% on my Outbreak chronology but you can play all of the file #1 scenarios except Decisions, Decisions (which ends with Raccoon being bombed) and the file #2 scenarios except for End of the Road (also ends with the bombing). I think there's like semi canon survivors to do certain scenarios with since they are involved with the plot and will die otherwise if you don't use them in said scenarios but it doesn't really matter either way.

The games have cool setpieces but can be tough to solo without a guide or previous experience so I wouldn't feel too bad about skipping them and going for RE3.

Fun warning: zombies can and will follow you into rooms which can get pretty intense!

Dj Meow Mix fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 29, 2016

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Outbreak really was ahead of its time. If they remade it today it would go over much better. I'm pretty sure when Outbreak 1 launched you still needed to buy the extra online peripheral and load times were so bad they included an option to save it to the also optional HDD.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

EU version got stripped of all the online stuff and was thus mostly pointless.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

As cool as a remake of Outbreak would be it would kind of be ruined. Since with voice chat being so easy you wouldn't need the overly complicated and sometimes hilarious emote system.

"here's what i'm thinking" "SON OF A BITCH"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

As cool as a remake of Outbreak would be it would kind of be ruined. Since with voice chat being so easy you wouldn't need the overly complicated and sometimes hilarious emote system.

"here's what i'm thinking" "SON OF A BITCH"

They could leave it out of the game as intended and then let the players work around it and ruin the effect of they want to.

Granted that would result in reviewers missing the point and giving it the worst ratings because of that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they might revisit the concept someday, but generally only games that people liked get remakes.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Never got outbreak because I couldn't afford to play it online so my parents refused to let me buy half a game.

Boy I feel old saying that

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spiffster posted:

Never got outbreak because I couldn't afford to play it online so my parents refused to let me buy half a game.

Boy I feel old saying that

I think I played it on dialup? I don't remember if I had my job by that time or not.

First thing I did with my job at 16 was save up to get us away from dialup internet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, I just realized I have never even heard of Outbreak. I've heard the name but I've been confusing it for that PSX light gun game this whole time. I don't know how an RE game would have slipped past me at that time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Wow, I just realized I have never even heard of Outbreak. I've heard the name but I've been confusing it for that PSX light gun game this whole time. I don't know how an RE game would have slipped past me at that time.

You'll be even more shocked:

There are two Outbreak games, not one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had an oddball 4 years in my early 20's where I didn't play a single video game. They must have come out around then.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Resident Evil: Survivor sure was a video game.

I expected the FPS shooting to be worse than it was, though it's a bit baffling to consider that this game only came out about a year before the first Halo did. The (lack of) saving was also unusual, and it reminded me a lot of the Struggle DLC for Revelations 2 with its continue system. It actually lead to the final boss feeling fairly tense, since I was on my last life and had to rely on one of my pistols to finish off the Tyrant as he was trying to strangle Ark, since I had gone through all of my better ammo.

I didn't hate the game, though it's certainly a flawed experience. I had enough fun with it considering how short it was, and I wouldn't mind replaying it in the future on one of the different story routes.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Raxivace posted:

Resident Evil: Survivor sure was a video game.

I expected the FPS shooting to be worse than it was, though it's a bit baffling to consider that this game only came out about a year before the first Halo did. The (lack of) saving was also unusual, and it reminded me a lot of the Struggle DLC for Revelations 2 with its continue system. It actually lead to the final boss feeling fairly tense, since I was on my last life and had to rely on one of my pistols to finish off the Tyrant as he was trying to strangle Ark, since I had gone through all of my better ammo.

I didn't hate the game, though it's certainly a flawed experience. I had enough fun with it considering how short it was, and I wouldn't mind replaying it in the future on one of the different story routes.
God, I hate it. I hate Survivor yet the various paths which amount to gently caress all in terms of story progression but do give you some different toys to play with IIRC mean I've played it a few times recently, also because of some stupid RE hype with this newfangled thing I'm still incredibly skeptical about (even after repeat playing of the 'teaser' to actually explore the loving lovely house properly. Christ, no wonder I'm so loving skeptical about a mainline RE game being crap if it's using FPS perspective. LOOK WHAT WE loving GOT LAST TIME.

I'll have to record the final Tyrant battle from Survivor one of these days to show off just how easy it is to cheese that motherfucker with the basic handgun. Admittedly it takes a fair (well, unfair given how poo poo the game is) amount of time to put the bastard down but avoiding his attacks is like some sort of unfunny punchline to a joke nobody wanted to hear. It's just so absolutely loving disappointing, which is fitting when you consider the game itself.

Oh gently caress it, I'll cheese him with the big guns using the same stupid tactic. I don't have the time to waste using the Handgun A... except I do really. I'll probably run out of HDD space before patience. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUCK.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Which Survivor games got home releases, just the first one and Dead Aim? I don't remember seeing the Code Veronica and Dino Crisis ones outside the arcade.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

All of 'em, at least here in Europe. I remember seeing them used for stupidly low prices at lunchtimes back when I was at school.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sakurazuka posted:

Which Survivor games got home releases, just the first one and Dead Aim? I don't remember seeing the Code Veronica and Dino Crisis ones outside the arcade.

The Dino crisis one got labelled Dino Stalker and released on ps2

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Finished replaying RE4 last night (steam version), hot drat that game is still excellent. The Ada gamecube thing is also fun, the PS2 one not as much. And of course Mercenaries.

Just played the RE7 Beginning Hour thing. Stuff like the fuse no longer being on the box after you watch the tape, I don't get the point of that. Just doing stuff in random orders the devs decided on, not great as far as puzzle design goes. But I get it's just a mysterious marketing thing that has captured some people's imaginations. Hopefully the puzzles in the finished game don't have nonsense dream logic to them, such as items disappearing after you watch a tape. I guess the graphics are good, and the tape was okay (kind of reminded me of Alan Wake in tone/humor).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah i really hope that philosophy doesn't transfer into the final game. Some of the stuff in the demo seems to have no logic behind the triggers.

I'm hoping they just did that because they wanted people to really pick the demo clean.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

this is supposedly a theme from one of the boss battles in RE7, gonna put it behind spoilers just in case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjrqfR4acU lol imagining this is some super mutated version of course.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vikar Jerome posted:

this is supposedly a theme from one of the boss battles in RE7, gonna put it behind spoilers just in case. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUjrqfR4acU lol imagining this is some super mutated version of course.

If there's stuff like that playing often enough, GOTY! I'll take epic weirdness over standard grim horror sounds any day.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha wow. Thats pretty awesome in a sort of ghetto psx kind of way.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I wonder what the lyrics are.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He he doo he hey hoo hee He he doo he hey hoo hee doo dee hoo hee doh doh

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

He he doo he hey hoo hee He he doo he hey hoo hee doo dee hoo hee doh doh

The theme is a lot less wacky than I was expecting from this post

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wow, that does entirely sound like it is from a completely different game.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
What does such pompous music have to do with a bunch of hicks in a lovely shack? It would be fitting for a game like Code Veronica, but I was hoping for something more along the line of this or this, twisted in an appropriate way to be more resident-evily. (Much like the original soundtrack took cues from classical music, for a setting in a mansion, while still doing its own thing.) It's typical of Japanese developers, not understanding or appreciating the rich history and culture of America and just throwing some cheap Final Fantasy music on top of an already disrespectful portrayal. Disgusting.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
For some reason it reminds me of some of the boss music from darkside chronicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
3 hours in, the camera switches from 1st person to 3rd person, the merchant comes from behind a corner, hands you a machinegun and tells you "nah this whole horror crap was just for laugh, now go and kick rear end, Wesker clone number 3... if you survive, you'll know what happened to number 1 and 2... oh no, watch out !" and out of nowhere a giant tentacle of bones, putrid flesh that somehow radiates electricity comes out of the ground and misses you by a mere inch as you successfuly completes a QTE.