Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

DancinBrud posted:

I don't think they necessarily are. You just see a bunch of them get blown up in Rebels because hey, something's gotta get blown up.
It explains why there aren't any leftover for A New Hope... :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

as "eh" as I was about some of the stuff in Rogue One I gotta say that the scene where the Hammerhead rams a Star Destroyer was pretty loving :black101: and I got super excited

too bad the music for that scene wasn't as memorable

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

MrJacobs posted:

Korriban was changed to Morriban for some reason, but since the KOTOR games are so goddamned far in the past there is no reason to assume otherwise unless stated directly.

The reason being Lucas was dumb and thought Korriban was too similar to Coruscant.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Offhand thought related to Rogue One... and potential happens in Rebels in the future.

We saw the Ghost during the space battle as well as IIRC a blue-trimmed CR90 that was very likely Liberator, Sato's corvette, what we did not see however was the Quasar Fire carrier, Phoenix Home. I hope it wasn't lost at some point. :ohdear:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yes, Gold Squadron is from the OT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJV_B1TzQM

Minor Rogue One/ANH connection spoiler: Gold and Read Leads in Rogue One are the same Squadron commanders that die at the Battle of Yavin. Both were put in Rogue One via unused footage/audio from A New Hope

Minor Trivia: Vander is an Onderonian like Saw.

Along the same lines...

We also get a direct shot of Red Five getting blown up. Just in time for a certain somebody to be slotted into that position a few days/a week or so later.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BigRed0427 posted:

PRetty much. By the end of 4, the Rebel fleet is pretty much decimated.

Also, when were A Wings considered the Red Shirts of the Rebel fleet?

The new explanation is that they're an older fighter that the Rebels stop using once they get X-Wings. Once the Empire introduces the high speed TIE Interceptor, the Rebels pull the old A-Wings out of storage, juice the engines at the cost of shields and firepower, and re-introduce them as high speed interceptors of their own just in time for Endor.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

The new explanation is that they're an older fighter that the Rebels stop using once they get X-Wings. Once the Empire introduces the high speed TIE Interceptor, the Rebels pull the old A-Wings out of storage, juice the engines at the cost of shields and firepower, and re-introduce them as high speed interceptors of their own just in time for Endor.

It's a loving dumb nucanon retcon to solve a problem that didn't exist.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Old canon had a pretty similar explanation with those shown earlier than Endor being 'R-22 Spearheads'. Both dumb, but I at least kind of like the new explanation better. :shrug:

e: Like both could have had the answer, they just weren't at Yavin or Hoth.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 31, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Plus....tie interceptors already exist in rebels so that makes no sense

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jng2058 posted:

I thought the explanation is that different Rebel cells had different ships, and that we only saw A-Wings at Endor because that was the first time that the entire Alliance Fleet was ever all in one place. We saw that the Y-Wings got sent off to Yavin, for example. So A-Wings exist concurrently with X-Wings, we just never see them side by side until that point. Although I guess that raises the question of why none showed up at Scarif while the Ghost was there, but I guess General Syndulla was at Yavin on her own and the rest of Phoenix Squadron couldn't make it in time or was on another mission - we saw there was no Phantom docked, after all.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Offhand thought related to Rogue One... and potential happens in Rebels in the future.
We saw the Ghost during the space battle as well as IIRC a blue-trimmed CR90 that was very likely Liberator, Sato's corvette, what we did not see however was the Quasar Fire carrier, Phoenix Home. I hope it wasn't lost at some point. :ohdear:
Maybe the rest of Phoenix Squadron (along with some of the Ghost Crew) was in the middle of another operation and couldn't make it to Scarif in time. The Ghost may have only showed up because Hera was already at Yavin.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Or our plastic genocidal pal who's fun to be with, hijacked it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chop stole the Ghost, took it to Yavin for shits and giggles.

General Syndulla gets paged over the coms because the Ghost is illegally parked in a no Transport zone but Chop don't give a womprats rear end.

The Ghost appears at the Battle of Scarif because Chopper has the balls to take her in and he escapes into hyperspace just in time to avoid T-boning Vader's ride.

He returns The Ghost to Chopper Base before Hera even wakes up to notice it was gone.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

AndyElusive posted:

General Syndulla gets paged over the coms because the Ghost is illegally parked in a no Transport zone but Chop don't give a womprats rear end.

The Ghost appears at the Battle of Scarif because Chopper has the balls to take her in and he escapes into hyperspace just in time to avoid T-boning Vader's ride.

He returns The Ghost to Chopper Base before Hera even wakes up to notice it was gone.

This would make for a legitimately great episode.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

C1-10P's Day Off: A Rogue One Story

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Chop came to Yavin cause he heard that rear end in a top hat R2-D2 was chilling out there and wanted to remind him who the coolest Astromech was.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Chop came to Yavin cause he heard that rear end in a top hat R2-D2 was chilling out there and wanted to remind him who the coolest Astromech was.

Probably owed him money.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

AndyElusive posted:

I would watch the hell out of that.

Because of R1 I finally got around to watching Rebels S1 Bray and S2 was on sale so I bought it and basically gorged through the show in a week or two. And then started a thing: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/operation-game-collection-star-wars.html

(The D6 Holocron has a fan made Rebels S1 Sourcebook that kind of makes my iPad Air unhappy at having to render it.)

I'm pulling out all my SW Vidya for a post on all of them. I have many. Some I have even played!

Rogue One and Rebels have pretty much made me love Star Wars again even if RLM has spent the last month complaining about it. (I mean they live in the Great Lakes Region so misery is their only friend but.. Don't take it out on Star Wars!)

I even bought the Ahsoka novel at Target for 15 bux this week. And 5 for Infinity Kanaan. Well loving played Disney. Well played. Depending on finances and holiday hell weeks pay I might grab the Ghost for X Wing Minis though I primarily buy Imps with Rebels merely as OpFor.

Chopper is in fact the best and I hope Bandai plans on making a model kit of SPACE GARFIELDROID soon. (Knowing my luck and Japanese toy and kit makers it'll just be some Kobo. Bishoujo line statues of the ladies. I mean they do Marvel and Star Wars stuff already which makes me uncomfortable when you look at say their Jubilee figure. :smith:

But we need that Murdermachine in scale with their Trooper figures so I can have Chopper doing sick spins to the First Order Trooper kit who has the baton of sick spins! Bandai should do this dammit. I mean if size is an issue throw in a Gonk and Mouse Droid. Space Rickman would probably be too deep a cut and price point increase though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hello Star Wars goons, I'm spending most of the holiday season marathoning Clone Wars so I can begin then binging Rebels, mostly because I loves me some Thrawn and I really like the idea of Ahsoka's role in the tragedy of Anakin's fall and wanted to see the whole thing. I'm up to the Order 66 arc in TCW (2 episodes into it) and the scene of Tup dying knowing he was free of the mission was loving brutal. :smith:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Oh you poor wretch, that ride isn't letting go of your heart just yet.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, that's one of the best storylines! Please report back after you finish it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In other news, I tried to watch the Clone Wars movie with the kidnapped Hutt. Holy hell is that awful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Okay, now done with everything that is actually fully animated from TCW, and the Order 66 story was very tragic (though I'd been slightly spoiled, plus, well, y'know, foregone conclusion due to movies) but had a really clumsy misstep where I feel like it would've been way stronger to actually see the confrontation that led to Fives attacking the Emperor. It would also have allowed them to have him find out the specifics of the plan rather than the weird middle ground where he's right, but realistically has no evidence nor does he actually know what's going on. He basically knows a bad thing is being done and the chips are to blame, but not much else.

I felt most bad for Shaak Ti. She does everything right, trying to involve the Council and get the Kaminoans out of things but bureaucracy stops her.

It was still probably the best individual story arc of the series, especially if you include the previous Domino Squad episodes as part of it.

I also really liked the Mandalore stuff, Ahsoka, Anakin, Maul and Ventress' character arcs and the story with the Jedi kids making their sabres.

One thing watching the show at such a compressed rate did was highlight how dumb the anachronic ordering of episodes was. I'm fairly sure Cad Bane's appearances are literally backwards in order. It also highlighted a couple of issues the show has, one being a flaw most SW spin-offs have, that of being incestuously reverent to a very small reference pool of the original films. The phrase "I've got a bad feeling about this" brings bile to my throat now.
The other was the odd way the show seemed to use the time-jump between seasons to both add nuance and depth to Ahsoka, and yet immediately began objectifying her. In the space of what felt like a dozen episodes she was leered at, dressed in sexy slavegirl attire and felt up by multiple baddies, both male and female. It was a little disconcerting and disheartening.

The cameos of future important players was a mixed bag. Tarkin worked pretty drat well. Ackbar slightly less so. And Chewie's was basically unnecessary and would've been an easy way to introduce a new Wookiee.

Narcissus1916 posted:

In other news, I tried to watch the Clone Wars movie with the kidnapped Hutt. Holy hell is that awful.

If it helps, the pink Truman Capote Hutt gets murdered in a later season?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jedi literally have precognitive bad feelings about stuff.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Gaz-L posted:

Okay, now done with everything that is actually fully animated from TCW,

Now go watch the stuff that was not fully animated. :v:

Narcissus1916 posted:

Yeah, the pilot movie was absolutely awful. It gets better though!

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Now go watch the stuff that was not fully animated. :v:

Even though I have them on DVD and bluray, I have not watched the prequels since they were in theatres. I don't really want to but I know that it's something I'm going to have to do.

At the time I thought they were fine. I'm kind of afraid of going in and realizing "Oh crap, they really are that bad.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Even though I have them on DVD and bluray, I have not watched the prequels since they were in theatres. I don't really want to but I know that it's something I'm going to have to do.

At the time I thought they were fine. I'm kind of afraid of going in and realizing "Oh crap, they really are that bad.

Pretty sure they meant the episodes of TCW that were only partially animated, not the prequels.

Also the prequels really are that bad.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

BigRed0427 posted:

They're good.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Zoran posted:

They're good.

:stare:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

The prequels are flawed movies but not nearly as bad as some like to think.

And yes I meant the unfinished episodes from season 6.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Pretty sure they meant the episodes of TCW that were only partially animated, not the prequels.

Also the prequels really are that bad.

Oh, I thought they meant the prequel movies. :v:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The prequels are flawed movies but not nearly as bad as some like to think.

Well 1 and 3 but they could have been improved with a couple dialog changes and a few edits and cgi fixes involving Mr Binks.

There ain't much you can do for 2 at all. Outside of like cutting 2/3 rds of the movie out entirely and redoing it. Anakin is unbearably whiny and creepy throughout most of the first acts of the movie.

Like his entire dialog can be summarized as "WAAH IM HORNY AND WANNA BANG PADME! OBI WAN IS A MEANIE WHO WONT LET ME DO WHAT I WANT EVEN THOUGH IM SPECIAL WAAA!"

I mean pretty much everything up to Geonosis Arena is garbage or semi irrelevant in general.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Captain Rufus posted:

There ain't much you can do for 2 at all. Outside of like cutting 2/3 rds of the movie out entirely and redoing it. Anakin is unbearably whiny and creepy throughout most of the first acts of the movie.

Like his entire dialog can be summarized as "WAAH IM HORNY AND WANNA BANG PADME! OBI WAN IS A MEANIE WHO WONT LET ME DO WHAT I WANT EVEN THOUGH IM SPECIAL WAAA!"

Wouldn't a guy as ruthless and vile as Darth Vader be someone who felt powerless and sexless and unappreciated by his father figure? I mean doesn't things like this majorly contribute to how a lot of sociopaths and bullies are created?

The core problem with Episode 2 is how much poo poo was forced into it, specifically since Episode I did almost nothing with the overarching narrative of the trilogy, forcing 2 and 3 to actually tell the story of how the republic failed, making the other 2 movies feel rushed and can't find their own pace to tell their section of the trilogy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Powerless, sexless and unappreciated would make the ultimate Jedi.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The thing is that we know Anakin gets redeemed in the end, so he needs to feel sympathetic to some extent. I think they thought the forbidden love angle was enough, but it's executed so poorly that Anakin comes off alternately as an abusive boyfriend who SHOULDN'T be in a relationship and as a total Nice Guy dink who does not understand how the hu-man girl works.

It's why I think the Clone Wars series works a lot better in his arc, showing how he loses faith in the Jedi while buying into the propaganda about the war that Palpatine feeds him. Beats like him lashing out after being lied to when Obi-Wan faked his own death or when the Council expel Ahsoka from a combo of politics and trial by public opinion make him understandable AND sets the stage for him being vulnerable to a more 'nurturing' father figure like Sideous.

Oh, I've started Rebels now, and... I'm supposed to loathe Chopper, right? He's worse than useless, he's unfunny and actively seems to be trying to get the other characters killed. Like if he spoke English I assume he's sound like Gilbert Gottfried doing Jar-Jar's shtick.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, I've started Rebels now, and... I'm supposed to loathe Chopper, right? He's worse than useless, he's unfunny and actively seems to be trying to get the other characters killed. Like if he spoke English I assume he's sound like Gilbert Gottfried doing Jar-Jar's shtick.

What the poo poo?

Although now that you mention it, I'd love to hear Gottfried voice Chopper.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

What the poo poo?

Although now that you mention it, I'd love to hear Gottfried voice Chopper.

Does he get more endearing in seasons 2 and 3? Because all he's done is be an antagonistic little poo poo. Like, it's funny when Artoo gives a baddie what-for because he's retalliating, but he's be much less beloved if he spent the whole movie jabbing Han in the rear end with a spork and then instead of stopping the garbage compactor, actually turned on the alarm to let the Empire catch Luke, Han and Leia.

He's basically exactly what you'd think Ezra would be at his worst. Col. Gascon would be ashamed to have him in D-Squad, and he's not fit to polish Artoo's exhaust ports. :colbert:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone knows R2 is a useless repair droid Mary Sueing his way through the Journal of the Whills.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Does he get more endearing in seasons 2 and 3? Because all he's done is be an antagonistic little poo poo. Like, it's funny when Artoo gives a baddie what-for because he's retalliating, but he's be much less beloved if he spent the whole movie jabbing Han in the rear end with a spork and then instead of stopping the garbage compactor, actually turned on the alarm to let the Empire catch Luke, Han and Leia.

He's basically exactly what you'd think Ezra would be at his worst. Col. Gascon would be ashamed to have him in D-Squad, and he's not fit to polish Artoo's exhaust ports. :colbert:

Chopper is a surly sailor with a foul mouth, murderous streak, and a heart of gold. All he needs is a cigar.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I want to hear Chopper's definition of love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Artoo fan spotted.

• Locked thread