Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've restarted Baten Kaitos as I got stuck due to not having many good weapons (I've been grinding for them this time) and something I like is that as long as their attack rating is reasonable even elemental weapons that the enemy is strong to do decent damage - the formula goes that they have physical and elemental for each of those types of weapons - Longswords have rating of 12, so contribute 12 to the final number, but fire swords have something like 26 physical then 14 fire. Physical is always applied unless the enemy guards so against a neutral enemy the fire sword would do the full 40 damage (26+14), against an enemy strong to it it does 33 (26+[14/2]) and against an enemy weak to it it can do 47 (26+[14*1.5])

The weapon drops that I'm going to start grinding in the cloud pass are 40 base damage with 25 or 35 dark damage - replacing the 12 damage swords that I currently use with those will be lucrative. Also milk drops will help keep my health up. It was a mean trick though when I was grinding fire swords early in the game as they all extinguished while trying to get more and left me with a flood of the weakest weapons. Bastards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I've been complaining about Dishonored 2 a lot but on this second playthrough I've been looking at all the newspapers, books, etc, and they apparently are different depending on what you do. Like if you kill everyone the newspaper will say "these guys all died" or like, "[ spoiler ] people did [ x ] "

I was thinking when I was going to bed last night, they put SO MANY TINY THINGS into this game, so many little details, it's crazy. And the amount of stuff that changes based on your actions is like 5000% more than what happened in DH1. I really, really think it's awesome how much work they put into this.

:kimchi:

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I picked up Overwatch over the holidays and have been mostly sticking to the support/defense characters, but yesterday I decided to branch out and played Sombra a little bit and noticed that the ammo counter on her gun was in hexadecimal which I thought was a nice touch. Of course the hacker character would have a custom yet impractical mod on their main firearm.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I've restarted Baten Kaitos as I got stuck due to not having many good weapons (I've been grinding for them this time) and something I like is that as long as their attack rating is reasonable even elemental weapons that the enemy is strong to do decent damage - the formula goes that they have physical and elemental for each of those types of weapons - Longswords have rating of 12, so contribute 12 to the final number, but fire swords have something like 26 physical then 14 fire. Physical is always applied unless the enemy guards so against a neutral enemy the fire sword would do the full 40 damage (26+14), against an enemy strong to it it does 33 (26+[14/2]) and against an enemy weak to it it can do 47 (26+[14*1.5])

The weapon drops that I'm going to start grinding in the cloud pass are 40 base damage with 25 or 35 dark damage - replacing the 12 damage swords that I currently use with those will be lucrative. Also milk drops will help keep my health up. It was a mean trick though when I was grinding fire swords early in the game as they all extinguished while trying to get more and left me with a flood of the weakest weapons. Bastards...

I'm surprised you are needing to grind!

All I remember is buying bamboo shoots for healing and using Lyude as one of their special attacks was my favourite.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Greatbacon posted:

I picked up Overwatch over the holidays and have been mostly sticking to the support/defense characters, but yesterday I decided to branch out and played Sombra a little bit and noticed that the ammo counter on her gun was in hexadecimal which I thought was a nice touch. Of course the hacker character would have a custom yet impractical mod on their main firearm.

I like that she has long manicured nails on the outside of her gloves for some reason.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Geokinesis posted:

I'm surprised you are needing to grind!

All I remember is buying bamboo shoots for healing and using Lyude as one of their special attacks was my favourite.

I got stuck at the Airship fight against the three sub-villains because they hit hard and I couldn't keep up. Gonna make sure I have the resources this time.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Watchdogs 2 gives you a gamelong objective to take selfies at San Fran landmarks.

There's an achievement when an NPC photobombs you.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So, I'm sure I've posted about it before. But I'm in an SMT mood and am thinking about playing Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne for the millionth time (seriously, I wish they'd port Persona 5 to steam then work backwards from there) and in Digital Devil Saga, the protagonist from Nocturne is an optional secret super-boss. He's immune to everything except gun, earth and almighty. Gun and Earth weren't damage types in Nocturne and typically speaking in SMT games you can never be fully immune to almighty type damage. It's a fun little attention to detail they included in the fight, not that it makes it much easier since you'll never use guns in DDS and almighty skills have absurd MP costs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

So, I'm sure I've posted about it before. But I'm in an SMT mood and am thinking about playing Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne for the millionth time (seriously, I wish they'd port Persona 5 to steam then work backwards from there) and in Digital Devil Saga, the protagonist from Nocturne is an optional secret super-boss. He's immune to everything except gun, earth and almighty. Gun and Earth weren't damage types in Nocturne and typically speaking in SMT games you can never be fully immune to almighty type damage. It's a fun little attention to detail they included in the fight, not that it makes it much easier since you'll never use guns in DDS and almighty skills have absurd MP costs.

If you try taking in any passive Null or Reflect skills, he'll gently caress you over with 9999 damage on the first turn too. Your max possible health is 999. He's also nigh-impossible to beat even with a fully-maxxed-out party unless you follow a few specific strategies. Even then it's a crapshot.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Doesn't it play the Nocturne random encounter music too? Implying you're just a random encounter to him?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

VanSandman posted:

Doesn't it play the Nocturne random encounter music too? Implying you're just a random encounter to him?

It sure does! I believe he also pops off his nuke for a few other things too, like killing both of his helper demons. Basically anything that would make a normal fight too much hassle to deal with and he'll just use his "I Win" attack.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

One does not gently caress with the demifiend.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Who What Now posted:

It sure does! I believe he also pops off his nuke for a few other things too, like killing both of his helper demons. Basically anything that would make a normal fight too much hassle to deal with and he'll just use his "I Win" attack.

They'll bust out the big debuffs and buff him if you get carried away with your buff or debuff stacks. Then, if you don't keep on top of things he'll bust out a pixie and heal himself to full health. One of the more common strategies is to just use a specific and otherwise useless skill to dodge everything until his pixie runs out of MP then focus fire him down with earth magic.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

And if you do beat him
Its implied he just reloaded a save

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And if you do beat him
Its implied he just reloaded a save

Reminds me of a silly little moment in Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal. You end up subcontracting a fetch quest out to some entry-level adventurers, and they decide to attack you for the great loot you're obviously carrying. You promptly slaughter them and they reload their save.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Which is great considering if you've been playing the entire series with the same character this entire time you're basically a god at this point of the story so you can look at that low level party and have some memories of simpler times in the first game :v:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Playing from bg1 to the end of ToB with the same character is one of my most satisfying gaming memories.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Golden Bee posted:

Watchdogs 2 gives you a gamelong objective to take selfies at San Fran landmarks.

There's an achievement when an NPC photobombs you.

There's one for calling the cops on DONUT GUY

:allears:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I got stuck at the Airship fight against the three sub-villains because they hit hard and I couldn't keep up. Gonna make sure I have the resources this time.

Is that the one where if you save on before hand it screws you up as there is no way to go back and grind bar loading a save from prior to that?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Geokinesis posted:

Is that the one where if you save on before hand it screws you up as there is no way to go back and grind bar loading a save from prior to that?

I hate when games do that. Digital Devil Saga 2 did it, too. There's one point where the reoccuring miniboss squad eat eachother and become a giant fuckoff monster that's basically just a giant roadblock to test whether or not you've been keeping your skills to date, and there's a save point in the same area you can't retreat from. So if you save there and can't beat that guy you're kind of boned.

Anyway a dumb thing I still like is that in the first Digital Devil Saga everyone has stupid anime hair colors, and when the plot happens a girl from the real world shows up and she has black hair and it blows everyone's mind. Then in the second game the main characters are still the only ones with neon hair.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:47 on Jan 1, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
While I'm not really sure on the game itself, the faction-creation system in Stellaris is really great, with a wide variety of not only mechanical options, but visual ones as well. Want your faction to be a Star Trek human-with-a-thing-on-their-forehead? Five options. Anotherwise mammalian? Seventeen. Bugs? Sixteen, with a lot of variety in there.

But what really sticks out as interesting to me is the random-generation system it has for pronouns. Not only does it randomly generate all the -ian and -ist titles automatically for you (Mishar / Misharan), but the randomly-generated official title of your faction can be based somewhat on your faction's philosophical choices. Christ, your faction's philosophical choices actually determine what sort of image background your leader has!

I bet this is all commonplace in 4x games now, but it blows my mind. I remember faction-making in SMAC being a image and text file.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nice spoilers there. :eyepop:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The game is from the PS2 but I'll spoiler it anyway, sorry.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a 10 year old niche jrpg if you weren't going to play it by now you probably aren't going to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

It's a 10 year old niche jrpg if you weren't going to play it by now you probably aren't going to.

You mean the ones readily available on the PSN Store on PS3

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the ones readily available on the PSN Store on PS3

Which were ports of the PS2 games, yes. Nocturne's on there too.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's so many games out there that it's probably safest to assume that, if you're talking about important plot points, you should just take the half-second to tag it just in case. Same for movies and film, really.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Len posted:

It's older than that. Next thing you know people will be getting upset for saying that Aerith dies or that the princess is indeed in another castle.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

flatluigi posted:

There's so many games out there that it's probably safest to assume that, if you're talking about important plot points, you should just take the half-second to tag it just in case. Same for movies and film, really.

In my defense what I revealed isn't actually a secret or anything, it's something rather casually mentioned early on. The exact nature of the thing in question becomes part of the main plot.

Anyway, more little things about games;
The way the SMT games interconnect based on their in-universe relations is always fun. Some of the spinoffs you might not even think are related except for incidental dialogue or NPCs. Digital Devil Saga references some of the earlier SMT games and the first Raidou Kuzunoha game has some ties to the first SMT. But it's stuff you wouldn't really notice if you didn't know what the dialogue was referencing already. It's the same with the persona games, where characters from the first two games get a bunch of incidental off-screen cameos in three and four.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Why stop with movies and games? Include books. Any books. Any story, really. Anything where anything happens, in perpetuity, for eternity.

Or perhaps people can stop being such whiny babies about spoilers in media that's been out for 5+ years.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
overwatch

when hanzo does his ultimate he says, "let the dragon consume my enemies!"

when he wears the okami skin he changes it to "the wolf hunts its prey!" and the twin dragons change into wolves.

okami can mean both wolf and great god

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The game is called Digital Devil Saga. His "spoiler" is in the title of the game.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Blind Sally posted:

It's older than that. Next thing you know people will be getting upset for saying that Aerith dies or that the princess is indeed in another castle.

Whoa what the gently caress! spoiler that poo poo. I was just about to play those 20 year old games, thanks for ruining this for me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Blind Sally posted:

Somfin posted:

Why stop with movies and games? Include books. Any books. Any story, really. Anything where anything happens, in perpetuity, for eternity.

Or perhaps people can stop being such whiny babies about spoilers in media that's been out for 5+ years.

TontoCorazon posted:

Whoa what the gently caress! spoiler that poo poo. I was just about to play those 20 year old games, thanks for ruining this for me.
It's really amazing how much people can project onto the idea that maybe some people haven't gone and consumed every form of media put out over several decades + therefore taking half a second to slap a spoiler tag on something is maybe an okay thing to consider instead of being some oppressive injustice to even put forward

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I mean, there was a guy who was didn't know that Aeris died and found out when the let's play got to it.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I mean, there was a guy who was didn't know that Aeris died and found out when the let's play got to it.

Really impressive he did not get that spoiled for him both in the threads restraint and somehow just not knowing.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

flatluigi posted:

It's really amazing how much people can project onto the idea that maybe some people haven't gone and consumed every form of media put out over several decades + therefore taking half a second to slap a spoiler tag on something is maybe an okay thing to consider instead of being some oppressive injustice to even put forward

Except that, as shown above, your definition of what precisely constitutes a spoiler is really loving weird.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
this is a dumb derail. Nuebot already said it wasn't a big plot reveal. spoiler what you think requires spoilers. whatever.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Somfin posted:

Except that, as shown above, your definition of what precisely constitutes a spoiler is really loving weird.

I'm talking in general and always have been, I hadn't even played the game that started the conversation. Don't know why you think I ever said otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Action Tortoise posted:

overwatch

when hanzo does his ultimate he says, "let the dragon consume my enemies!"

when he wears the okami skin he changes it to "the wolf hunts its prey!" and the twin dragons change into wolves.

okami can mean both wolf and great god

The voice line changes for costumes are great. Witch Mercy says "my minions never die!" instead of "heroes never die!"