Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Outrail posted:

Great to hear, a mate just grabbed it out from under me.

Is the G4 a decent phone? Reviews seem to say it's pretty good but I'd like to hear it from a trusted stranger on an anonymous online forum.

Howdy, internet stranger here and I've been using the g4 since it came out and it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Blue Train posted:

Howdy, internet stranger here and I've been using the g4 since it came out and it owns

Thanks trustworthy stranger.

I've ordered a used phone from JP Mobiles and am sure that I will be happy with my purchase assuming they're as trustworthy as you are.

:ohdear:

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I need a cell phone for my father. He won't ever use it -- it's just the IRS' new identity verification rules make it almost impossible to verify your identity without a cell phone and the cell phone account in your name.

What is the absolutely cheapest way for him to get a cell phone account to receive literally one text message? Pay-as-you-go plans and things like Google Voice are explicitly disallowed by the IRS.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If it requires a plan then probably t mobile and whatever the cheapest dumb phone you can get

E: I would contact ting and see if they qualify because they're extremely cheap

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 18, 2016

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blue Train posted:

E: I would contact ting and see if they qualify because they're extremely cheap

This looks really promising. I have an iPhone5 on AT&T. Can I swap the SIMs, get his text message, then swap it back without losing my message history?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Chuu posted:

This looks really promising. I have an iPhone5 on AT&T. Can I swap the SIMs, get his text message, then swap it back without losing my message history?

You should be able to put the ting sim in your existing phone get the message and put your other one back in when done without your data being altered assuming you do the byod plan, but I use Android so it's possible it's different for iOS due to iMessage.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Samsung j5 prime y/n? Looking for something around the moto g4 level but g4 doesn't work on nz Spark network.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ok alert over i got one and it's p deece will keep you posted

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Posting from a J5, 2 months in and good so far

Camera is good during day and poo poo at night
Having not upgraded in a few years holy poo poo everything including the keyboard wants permissions
I liked the xiaomi granular permissions but it all seemed a bit moot since it reports everything to the Chinese government regardless of settings

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hi everyone! I'm getting another phone soon, and I finally am going to bite the bullet and go get a touchscreen smartphone. I have narrowed my choices between the BQ Aquaris X5 ,the Wiko HighWay Star 4G and the Motorola 4G (If I can get a store that stocks it here). What would be my better choice in this case? (I'm aware the Moto 4G is the best one, but I may not be able to find it here)

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have a friend order it on Amazon and post it to you?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

simplefish posted:

Posting from a J5, 2 months in and good so far

Camera is good during day and poo poo at night
Having not upgraded in a few years holy poo poo everything including the keyboard wants permissions
I liked the xiaomi granular permissions but it all seemed a bit moot since it reports everything to the Chinese government regardless of settings

yeah, it seems pretty slick, lower resolution than the moto 4 but very nice colours. camera is adequate. battery life is a dream so far - are there charging tips to keep it that way?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sebmojo posted:

yeah, it seems pretty slick, lower resolution than the moto 4 but very nice colours. camera is adequate. battery life is a dream so far - are there charging tips to keep it that way?

Your battery life is a function of the software, not the way in which it charges.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Country/Provider: USA/t mobile

Features I know I want: 4.3-5" screen, good camera, under $250 unlocked

Looking for anything fresher than the Sony z3 compact, or similar but cheaper, as it's at the upper end of my budget. Band 12 would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Edit: I know nothing is toddler proof but the higher the chance of surviving being knocked out of my hands, the better

kaschei fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 22, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kaschei posted:

Country/Provider: USA/t mobile

Features I know I want: 4.3-5" screen, good camera, under $250 unlocked

Looking for anything fresher than the Sony z3 compact, or similar but cheaper, as it's at the upper end of my budget. Band 12 would be nice but not a deal breaker.

Edit: I know nothing is toddler proof but the higher the chance of surviving being knocked out of my hands, the better

In the price range you're looking at, the Moto G4 is your only reasonable option.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Can I throw $50 at a g4 to shrink it to 5"? How much would I have to spend to get a near-equivalent in a size I like?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

kaschei posted:

Can I throw $50 at a g4 to shrink it to 5"? How much would I have to spend to get a near-equivalent in a size I like?

The G4 Play is 5". But it's their basic entry-level phone.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

kaschei posted:

My g4 case just arrived ahead of the phone itself and I won't be able to work it with one hand. Probably going to drop it off a chairlift and there goes $200.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 24, 2016

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
The basics:

Country/Provider: US/Sprint, considering Project Fi if I get a Pixel.

Current contract status: Unlimited Talk/Text/Data, paying ~100/month subsidized by my work.

Budget (phone/plan): I can afford a fair bit considering my workplace helping out, and I have the savings to buy a phone outright. The Pixel and S7 are both in my price range.

Features I know I want: I have an oncall rotation, so I need a SOLID call reliability, voicemail, etc..
UI smoothness is a high want.
Durability is also high since my phone lives in a house being remodeled and also gets wet fingers on it when I'm cooking (rinse hand, poke phone for next recipe step), and if it's tough enough I could even start taking it hiking and take pictures like all my friends hassle me to do.
Plan-wise, I'm spoiled by the unlimited data plan so I just click the button and stream like there's no tomorrow. Podcasts, music, phone is the go-to for background sound when working and playing.

I'm getting a little tired of the Note Edge that I got. It's good, and big, but the curved edge gimmick didn't pan out the way I thought and the UI on Samsung has gotten sluggish. Actually answering calls with the tap and slide is shockingly frustrating. Also, I've dropped it a couple times and I think that might have given it brain damage.

From the service perspective I'm on the fence between staying with Sprint and upgrading to the S7 (not the edge, just a little to big and I'm soured on the curvy edges) or jumping ship to the Pixel and Project Fi.
I could ALSO stay with Sprint and just bring them the unlocked Pixel and stay with them. That might be the happy medium between the two, but after reading the Project Fi page I'm wondering if I can cut some costs by being more intelligent about using wifi and downloading podcasts rather than streaming. I don't know much about Project Fi beyond the site's marketing so if anyone has real world use experience that'd be very good to know. I need solid call reliability and while Sprint's got issues I think I have more frustrations with the phone than the service. Project Fi claims to use whatever local network is strongest, which could make my life happier when I travel.

It sounds like I'm pretty sold on the Pixel, but here's my hardware concerns. The S7 is waterproof, actual factual waterproof, which is fantastic. If I drop it on the forest floor it won't be bothered. Also, it uses 3.5mm headphone jacks and Micro-USB which I have a million cables lying around my house for, so no need to upgrade cables and chargers, or hunt for adapters. The consensus here is that the Pixel has a stronger UI and software base, which is honestly what I will be interfacing with nearly all the time, but I worry about the USB-C port. I feel like I'll need to tape the adapter to the back of the phone so I don't lose it (I'll lose it) and I've ready about funkiness when charging, that is that if you use the wrong charger your phone will die. That is Bad for me, a dead phone at the wrong time means a dead support hotline at work. Also, it's splashproof but not waterproof and my phones encounter more than their fair share of dust and grit and being wet-finger proof is just a high level of convenience. I think both phones can handle it, but it'd be great to be confident about picking up the phone with wet hands. I cook a lot.

So, I'm pretty much looking at the S7 as the safe but unexciting and possibly continuing the same software annoyances choice vs. Pixel that is new and shiny but has some cutting edge risks and (maybe?) growing pains.
Also, whether Project Fi is worthwhile.

Mhasmic
Dec 10, 2016

El Spamo posted:

The basics:

Country/Provider: US/Sprint, considering Project Fi if I get a Pixel.

Current contract status: Unlimited Talk/Text/Data, paying ~100/month subsidized by my work.

Super curious about your Service Provider. How reliable is your connection(Call/Data) with sprint? Do you live in a Metropolitan area or in the boonies?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

El Spamo posted:

So, I'm pretty much looking at the S7 as the safe but unexciting and possibly continuing the same software annoyances choice vs. Pixel that is new and shiny but has some cutting edge risks and (maybe?) growing pains.
Also, whether Project Fi is worthwhile.

The only advantage to the S7 is the water proofing. One way or the other you'll have to switch to USB C eventually.

I am pretty sure the Pixel has a headphone jack.

Personally, get the Pixel. It'll get supported longer.

Sprint in theory has the worst coverage, so i guess if you are doing ok with sprint, Fi would be better coverage, and Verizon or ATT/Cricket would be better still. Fi only makes more sense if you are a low data user, so that's more on your side if you want to curb your usage.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Aklepto posted:

Super curious about your Service Provider. How reliable is your connection(Call/Data) with sprint? Do you live in a Metropolitan area or in the boonies?

Boonies. Like it says in the OP, every provider sucks in their own way. Sprint does fine. I don't have anything nice to say, but I don't have any real complaints either. Between my previous post and now I got in touch with a friend of mine who's using Project Fi in my area and got me the lowdown. It works, but there have been some quirks. Sprint will work with a Pixel phone with no fuss so I don't have to touch a thing with my current plan. That means I'll stick with Sprint for now until I get used to the new phone. Also, not a low-data user either so simply stream it and forget it is probably better for me. Getting a Pixel, if I want to switch to Project Fi in the future I'm not doing any installment payments on a phone so switching will be as easy as pulling my number to another service.

I think I've come to a conclusion, but it's really helpful to hear a second opinion and make sure I'm not walking into any traps. Thanks!

Also, waterproofing hasn't been an issue for me so far in my cellphone using life so I doubt I'll have much trouble now. Just it being a talked-about feature put the concern in my mind but if I really think about it it's not a big deal.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So, my mother-in-law has an original recipe Moto X -- the hinge in the side bezel is separating, it turns off randomly (even with a full battery), it's dropping calls, randomly making calls, occasionally not receiving calls, etc. So, she's in the market for a replacement. She wants to stick with Android, she's on the bog-standard Verizon 4GB plan (ideally staying on Verizon due to rural coverage in Wisconsin), and her budget is basically "as cheap as possible."

What are her options?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Moto g4 play

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
My mother has discovered only now that she now wants a smartphone (just to browse and make phone calls/texts, take the odd picture), so I have to find her one. She likes the look of my nexus 5, which has served me faithfully for 2 years, despite a poorish battery. The only problem is that she utterly refuses to pay more than €300 for a phone, as saving for a month and deferring another loving trip to Tenerife is out of the question. Edit: After explaining resolutions to her she now wants a 1080p phone! (:doh:) I've been thinking of getting her the Nexus 5X, but checking the other thread it seems to have some issues. Are there any other alternatives?

Also, should I be worried about lack of security updates for the Nexus phones in the future? I've been considering moving to a Pixel myself, but gently caress iPhone prices in Euroland. I guess I'll cross that bridge when my Nexus 5 dies. I love the capacity to shitpost on my Nexus 5 with Awful, which is all I ever use it for apart from browsing.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 30, 2016

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Thank you cell phone thread! My phone was supposed to be on backorder until the middle of January, but arrived today. It is still in the box, I am not taking It out until my case arrives, because I can not be trusted with expensive, fragile things.

I am thinking the lifeproof fre case, any other reccomendations? I got the pixel xl 128 gig, it already cost me a pretty penny, I have no issue spending decent money on a top of the line case that will ensure its safety.

But if there is a case of equal quality that won't cost me $80-100 or whatever it is I am also happy to save money if the quality is there.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

School Nickname posted:

My mother has discovered only now that she now wants a smartphone (just to browse and make phone calls/texts, take the odd picture), so I have to find her one. She likes the look of my nexus 5, which has served me faithfully for 2 years, despite a poorish battery. The only problem is that she utterly refuses to pay more than €300 for a phone, as saving for a month and deferring another loving trip to Tenerife is out of the question. Edit: After explaining resolutions to her she now wants a 1080p phone! (:doh:) I've been thinking of getting her the Nexus 5X, but checking the other thread it seems to have some issues. Are there any other alternatives?

Also, should I be worried about lack of security updates for the Nexus phones in the future? I've been considering moving to a Pixel myself, but gently caress iPhone prices in Euroland. I guess I'll cross that bridge when my Nexus 5 dies. I love the capacity to shitpost on my Nexus 5 with Awful, which is all I ever use it for apart from browsing.

Get her a Moto Play 4.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

These days, I want only a great portable camera on my phone. I really don't need the ultra-fast processor or huge screens. But it seems these two things go hand in hand and it's hard to find a decently priced phone with a great camera, as a result. Any suggestions?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Great camera will cost you but maybe the moto g4+? It has a better camera, there are some examples here http://www.gsmarena.com/lenovo_moto_g4_plus_handson_camera_samples_too-blog-18261.php

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

These days, I want only a great portable camera on my phone. I really don't need the ultra-fast processor or huge screens. But it seems these two things go hand in hand and it's hard to find a decently priced phone with a great camera, as a result. Any suggestions?

Yeah, most good cameras are in more expensive phones. iPhone SE would be a good bet.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm looking for a new (to me) phone. I'm on Verizon and have been using the same HTC One M8 for almost three years now. It's falling apart pretty badly but I liked how durable it was during that time. My contract is month-to-month, no device subsidies.
I use it to listen to audiobooks & music, read SA, Facebook, and email. I also use Strava as exercise tracker daily for running & biking, hence the need for durability. So I guess things I care about the most are reliable Bluetooth and durability.
Let me stress that the only reason I want a new phone is that the HTC is not going to live much longer. I am not looking for new features, finger print scanners, wireless charging, 4k video or anything like that.

The further under $200, the better. What is recommended by goons?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'm currently on a Verizon family plan, but i'm looking to finally get off of it and get my own plan. Just bought my Galaxy 7 about 6 months ago. I'd like 3 or 4gb worth of data and unlimited talk/text if possible, but on Verizon, that's $50 plus a ridiculous $20 for the line fee. That's about $30-40 more than I want to pay. I'd also like to keep my phone, which I wouldn't be able to do with T Mobile, if I understand correctly. Should I do Ting or another one of the no contract carriers? Any recommendations?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ArtVandelay posted:

I'm currently on a Verizon family plan, but i'm looking to finally get off of it and get my own plan. Just bought my Galaxy 7 about 6 months ago. I'd like 3 or 4gb worth of data and unlimited talk/text if possible, but on Verizon, that's $50 plus a ridiculous $20 for the line fee. That's about $30-40 more than I want to pay. I'd also like to keep my phone, which I wouldn't be able to do with T Mobile, if I understand correctly. Should I do Ting or another one of the no contract carriers? Any recommendations?

Your phone would work with T-mobile, switching carriers you would just immediately owe the balance of the phone if you are on payment plan. T-Mobiles postpaid plan is also $70 a month (ridiculous!) but they still have the prepaid nerd plan at $30 for 100 mins, text and 5GB of data.

Verizon ironically has a prepaid plan of $50 for call, text and 5GB. Cricket is probably the lowest cost for best coverage (Verizon and ATT still tend to have better nation coverage than T-Mobile), it's like $35 for call, text And x amount of data.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

Total wireless is a Verizon reseller and for a single line, you can get unlimited talk/text with 5gb data for 35/mo. Speed is capped at 5 down tho. Fwiw I've never found it too slow

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm looking for a new (to me) phone. I'm on Verizon and have been using the same HTC One M8 for almost three years now. It's falling apart pretty badly but I liked how durable it was during that time. My contract is month-to-month, no device subsidies.
I use it to listen to audiobooks & music, read SA, Facebook, and email. I also use Strava as exercise tracker daily for running & biking, hence the need for durability. So I guess things I care about the most are reliable Bluetooth and durability.
Let me stress that the only reason I want a new phone is that the HTC is not going to live much longer. I am not looking for new features, finger print scanners, wireless charging, 4k video or anything like that.

The further under $200, the better. What is recommended by goons?

Samsung j5 prime is cheap and decent.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Blue Train posted:

Total wireless is a Verizon reseller and for a single line, you can get unlimited talk/text with 5gb data for 35/mo. Speed is capped at 5 down tho. Fwiw I've never found it too slow

I barely ever stream and never watch movies on my phone. Apart from lots of app use, like facebook and twitter, i'll really only watch a video clip here or there, so I don't care about speed that much. Sounds like total wireless may be worth it, I might just try it for a month and see how it goes.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013
Country/Provider: UK

Current contract status: Sim Free

Budget (phone/plan): 200-250?

Features I know I want: Android for my wife. Currently we are using a 99 pounds huawei phone so we actually have no idea what a decent phone even feels like anymore but really we just want an android that is decently responsive and doesn't break easily. It will be in the hands of toddlers often. No asus as they broke too many times by now.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Country/provider : France/Free
Current contract status : Sim Free
Budget : 200-250ish euros

Hey, my beloved Nexus 5 seems to have died. Looks like there is a false contact or something in the power circuit so it's caught in a reboot loop, even should i go into the recover boot mode. I took it apart and tried to clean it but it didn't seem to help.

Money wise this isn't going to be the best year for me so I'd prefer to go with a cheaper phone for now, android, at least 16 gb of storage (mainly for music and podcasts), camera is nice but really not a priority to me.

The Moto G4 (plus) seems really nice and everyone seems to like it but what bothers me is the 5.5 inch screen which is just a bit bigger than the Nexus 5's and I'd really have preferred the same form factor, it just feels so much nicer and more usable. Flatmate recently got a OnePlus3 which has a 5.5 inch screen and it feels so bulky.

Is there any good 5 inch phone around nowadays ?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Country/provider:US/Verizon or any
Contract status: no contract
Budget: Any

I'm currently using my galaxy note 3 because nothing has been worth upgrading to since my contract expired long ago.

I want a phone with a removable battery that also supports fairly robust VR like Daydream or gear VR. As far as I know, the note 4 is the most recent phone with these requirements that exists. Is there any phone coming out in 2017 that is confirmed to have both a removable battery and decent VR? Failing that, I'll just get a LG V20 or something with a removable battery and just give up on mobile VR for another few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Butt Discussin posted:

Country/provider:US/Verizon or any
Contract status: no contract
Budget: Any

I'm currently using my galaxy note 3 because nothing has been worth upgrading to since my contract expired long ago.

I want a phone with a removable battery that also supports fairly robust VR like Daydream or gear VR. As far as I know, the note 4 is the most recent phone with these requirements that exists. Is there any phone coming out in 2017 that is confirmed to have both a removable battery and decent VR? Failing that, I'll just get a LG V20 or something with a removable battery and just give up on mobile VR for another few years.

Removable batteries are going away. It's something I would personally recommend accepting, as the better phones all have non removable batteries.

Yes LG makes phones with removable batteries. But LG phones have been more awful than even their usual bad standards over the last few years (G4, G5 are both awful). Don't buy LG.

Also, you should upgrade to the Pixel.