Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

A lot of effort went into making that and it's pretty but boy is it not right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Each of the pieces looks about right within acceptable stylization, but... why is TWW Hyrule east of AoL Hyrule?

Also, I need to finally beat Zelda 1... I'm torn between doing it totally oldschool style and drawing maps, and just using Automap Plus. I don't really feel like drawing my own maps adds much to most games...

Keiya fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 2, 2017

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

DalaranJ posted:

Is this art from Nintendo Power? Those buildings really remind me of the Castlevania 2 map I saw.

Yeah, I assume so. I remember the CV2 map you mentioned from the NES Games Atlas, very similar art.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Zelda II is probably the worst. Even if SS throws out some really stupid poo poo, there's still enough cool things in this game to make it be good.
You're the worst. :colbert:

SeANMcBAY posted:

Miyamoto also thinks 2 is the worst Zelda.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I think the DS ones are the worst but they're not bad games for what they were trying to do.
I take it back. You are just and correct in your Zelda opinions.

Zelda 2 is fantastic.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Every Zelda is the Best Zelda

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

DalaranJ posted:

Is this art from Nintendo Power? Those buildings really remind me of the Castlevania 2 map I saw.

I believe it is from an old Zelda comic

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2WgoEuA45Y

Supposed leaked scans of CoroCoro magazine confirm BotW for Spring, which is good news for anyone hoping it will be a Switch launch title.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LividLiquid posted:

I take it back. You are just and correct in your Zelda opinions.

Zelda 2 is fantastic.

Hey, I love Zelda 2!

Corocoro has revealed that BOTW is indeed coming out Spring 2017 and isn't going to be delayed like some were speculating.

EDIT: Beaten.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
That sounds super good, but i'm pretty sure it's a bit too early to be leaking CoroCoro stuff? usually it'd be around next week.

It's also a little suspect, imo, this corocoro would officially come out after the presentation on the 12th, and if it's coming out in Spring then they should have a solid date since that's so soon. Like, if it was a launch title that scan would be promoting that, so probably around May?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

April or May would still be better than June. But like everyone else here, I'd love to be able to get it in March and just play this insanely good and fun looking game already.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It will be launch. I trust Emily Rogers generally but I've been sayng since she said it was delayed that she didn't know what she was talking about. She's been wrong on Zelda every time.

Laura also said it was delayed but recently said that information was from two NOE sources. With all the recent marketing pointing to March she reached out to an NoA source she hadn't used before and that source said launch.

My guess, all of their NoE sources are the same people who told Unseen64 Star Fox was failing QA and going to be delayed (which he reported after Nintendo was filming promotional segments with famous YouTubers and they literally announced a direct for the game hours later)

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

greatn posted:

It will be launch. I trust Emily Rogers generally but I've been sayng since she said it was delayed that she didn't know what she was talking about. She's been wrong on Zelda every time.

Laura also said it was delayed but recently said that information was from two NOE sources. With all the recent marketing pointing to March she reached out to an NoA source she hadn't used before and that source said launch.

My guess, all of their NoE sources are the same people who told Unseen64 Star Fox was failing QA and going to be delayed (which he reported after Nintendo was filming promotional segments with famous YouTubers and they literally announced a direct for the game hours later)

Well, there could be another reason why there are different dates from a European and American source.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Keiya posted:

Also, I need to finally beat Zelda 1... I'm torn between doing it totally oldschool style and drawing maps, and just using Automap Plus. I don't really feel like drawing my own maps adds much to most games...

Maybe I've just internalized Zelda1 too much to be objective but I don't think you really need to make a map.

The original release did include an unlabeled overworld map poster so maybe just use that for an authentic experience. IIRC on the back were dungeon maps of levels 1-3 and a bit of four. The rest you were on your own.

I still have mine somewhere. I wonder how it's held up.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

LividLiquid posted:

Zelda 2 is fantastic.

Zelda 2 could have been great, but a few misfeatures (a loving lives system!?) keep me from really liking it. I guess my opinion of it is similar to many people's opinions of SS.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

greatn posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense out of all this. Thanks :)

Can't wait for ten days from now to be waiting two months to get a Switch and play BotW

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Ah, okay, that makes sense out of all this. Thanks :)

Can't wait for ten days from now to be waiting two months to get a Switch and play BotW

Preorders probably will go live after they officially announce. So you got that going for you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Just got to Lorule in Link Between Worlds and did the Thieves' Den dungeon. So far, this is pretty drat fun. I feel like the dungeons are a little shorter than I expect every time, but they've been really, really clever so far, and maybe it's less that they're short and more that the puzzles are clever while still keeping the pace going and never really seem to grind things to a halt with too much block pushing. Really liking the game so far.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dungeons ask you to figure out the trick and then you win. As opposed to older games where you figure out the trick then do it 10 times. They get longer but they are always tight.

I guess some could see that as a negative but I loved it.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
the only criticism i have of albw is that allowing you to tackle the dungeons.in any order means no real sense of.difficulty progression. otherwise it's a nearly flawess game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

There a no level up treadmill. No 'you have twice the hearts but enemies hit twice as hard'. So it does get easier as you go.

Hero mode is just great in that game. Every enemy must be respected. Very dark souls mode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The only bad thing about ALBW is that LTTP lovers say it is a copy and not as good. The truth is LTTP hasn't aged well and is like an outline for the far superior ALBW.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The only bad thing about ALBW is that LTTP lovers say it is a copy and not as good. The truth is LTTP hasn't aged well and is like an outline for the far superior ALBW.

I am a huge LTTP fanboy and I wouldn't say that BLW was a copy or not as good, its an incredibly well done distinct homage. LTTP aged incredibly well.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

LTTP is the best Zelda and I'll fight anyone who disagrees. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, LTTP has aged fantastically and while LBW is also great it isn't anywhere as good as LTTP, not in the least because the dungeon design isn't as good due to the extreme limitations they need to put on it due to the rental system. That doesn't mean LBW isn't also fantastic.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
it's possible lttp becomes incredible after i stopped playing, but i didn't really want to sit through fifty more identical "push a random block and the door opens" puzzles

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
My personal problem with LTTP is that I wasn't alive when it was new, and didn't have a snes so I never played it until I got the GBA port. By that time, many other games had come out that copied parts of LTTP's formula, so it didn't really come off as anything special to 12-year-old me.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I lament that I will never master A Link Between Worlds for reasons.

What are the better Zelda clones out there?

I really liked Okami back in the day in spite of the low difficulty, unskippable cutscenes, dreadful sidekick, and three Orochi fights. The game felt like an evolution of the Zelda formula: instead of one hub town there's multiple towns giving the world a sense of scope. You don't just have the one weapon, you can customise and switch it out or use it's alternate form. You kill the apparent final boss and the game just keeps going, and you travel to a whole new land. The plot doesn't rely on the same old Mcguffin Collectathon and even has legitimate twists, where every non-Majora Zelda game would just be predictable. Also you spend the entire game as a wolf that learns new tricks while Twilight Princess struggled to explain why the Wolf-form even belongs in the game.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 2, 2017

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

My personal problem with LTTP is that I wasn't alive when it was new, and didn't have a snes so I never played it until I got the GBA port. By that time, many other games had come out that copied parts of LTTP's formula, so it didn't really come off as anything special to 12-year-old me.

The day I got LTTP was the first time in my life I pulled an all nighter. I still will play it start to finish any time I'm sick and can't get out of bed. The art, the gameplay, the music-- pretty much everything about it aged well. Yeah, a lot of stuff used it as inspiration and if you go back and play it after-the-fact it won't stand up to its descendants, but what will by that metric? Any time I sit down to really try to narrow my best game of all time list, this is firmly planted.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I really liked Okami back in the day in spite of the low difficulty, unskippable cutscenes, dreadful sidekick, and three Orochi fights. The game felt like an evolution of the Zelda formula: instead of one hub town there's multiple towns giving the world a sense of scope. You don't just have the one weapon, you can customise and switch it out or use it's alternate form. You kill the apparent final boss and the game just keeps going, and you travel to a whole new land. The plot doesn't rely on the same old Mcguffin Collectathon and even has legitimate twists, where every non-Majora Zelda game would just be predictable.

Both Darksiders are great and I heard Alundra is pretty good too.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

People's enjoyment of Link to the Past really hinges on whether they played it back in the day or not, it seems. I'm one of the people who likes it, and I play it often still. But my younger friend played it for the first time a few years back and just didn't like it. But he also dislikes Super Mario 64, because Galaxy is better. Oh well.

I think Link to the Past had a cool overworld and a lot of exploration and obtaining treasures. I don't think any other game in the series has had more optional items. That's why I like it. Plus, being simple isn't necessarily a bad thing if it doesn't do anything particularly wrong.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Mega Man Legends 1&2. Mostly 2, though the original isnt without merit.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

LttP's just never grabbed me much no matter how many times I've tried it, which is a shame since most people seem to agree that it's the best one. It's not just age either since I enjoyed Z1 just fine.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Nephzinho posted:

I am a huge LTTP fanboy and I wouldn't say that BLW was a copy or not as good, its an incredibly well done distinct homage. LTTP aged incredibly well.

Agreed, I'm watching a person play through it now who has little experience with video games outside of Puyo Puyo), and I'm amazed at how well this game holds up and teaches the player in 2016. She's picking up almost everything very intuitively with a few exceptions (she didn't get the block pushing in Desert Palace).

As for LBW, I actually really like it because of how different it is from Link to the Past. I get two totally different experiences from them so it's hard for me to compare them. I think LBW actually gets better if you know what kind of game structure it's playing off of to surprise you.

I also think the term "has/hasn't aged well" is extremely vague. I feel like we need it specify what kind of experience we're seeking when we play old games, because many of us go in knowing that certain things we see now (e.g. tutorials and themes that subvert traditional concepts found in older games) may not appear in the old game, and many of us are playing games in a post-Internet world where the playground and Nintendo Power support system is something a lot of us actively avoid (remember, LttP even came with a sealed hint book if you needed help). We often take for granted how much outside information came into play back then.

That said, under the standard of "could be released today as an indie game" I firmly believe LttP holds up based on watching someone with no real gaming vocabulary learn it from scratch in very little time.

Note that this doesn't account for the many players who have grown up on Link to the Past clones without realizing it and will now just think "well, here we go again" playing LttP now. I think that's probably a common occurrence. I just don't think it's strictly about whether you played LttP in the 90s. It's also about what else you have or haven't played and your personal tastes.

Motto posted:

LttP's just never grabbed me much no matter how many times I've tried it, which is a shame since most people seem to agree that it's the best one. It's not just age either since I enjoyed Z1 just fine.

See, I appreciate this perspective. Sometimes a 2016 player just doesn't like a game and the "timelessness" of the game may not have a lot to do with it.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jan 2, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah, I wouldn't say LttP "aged" much; it generally plays identically as later 2D games with the main differences being structural stuff like the games up until LBW being more directed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Alxprit posted:

People's enjoyment of Link to the Past really hinges on whether they played it back in the day or not, it seems. I'm one of the people who likes it, and I play it often still. But my younger friend played it for the first time a few years back and just didn't like it. But he also dislikes Super Mario 64, because Galaxy is better. Oh well.

I think Link to the Past had a cool overworld and a lot of exploration and obtaining treasures. I don't think any other game in the series has had more optional items. That's why I like it. Plus, being simple isn't necessarily a bad thing if it doesn't do anything particularly wrong.

That applies to almost anything. I played through OoT recently because I love the game. As soon as I started it up, I realized I would hate it if I didn't have the nostalgia. The controls are terrible, and there's no direct camera control. You either have to use Z targeting or C-Up. Either of those has a small chance that you either target on to something or navi happened to be bitching at you and you're talking to her now. It has a terrible habit of moving the camera around for something but not putting it back. So when I'm racing out of the Kokori village and I stop to play Epona's song, it plays the song cutscene but then leaves the camera there. I either have to press Z to look the right way or now run towards the camera. Z targeting only works for rotating the camera, the game still decides the pitch. Often it decides to point the camera down when you're trying to look over or up at something. They should have used the D-pad to control the camera instead of having the entire D-Pad toggle the minimap. I don't know why you'd care if you could toggle that.

Nostalgia allows you to look past little annoyances to get to the part of the game you like.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 2, 2017

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I really liked Okami back in the day in spite of the low difficulty, unskippable cutscenes, dreadful sidekick, and three Orochi fights. The game felt like an evolution of the Zelda formula: instead of one hub town there's multiple towns giving the world a sense of scope. You don't just have the one weapon, you can customise and switch it out or use it's alternate form. You kill the apparent final boss and the game just keeps going, and you travel to a whole new land. The plot doesn't rely on the same old Mcguffin Collectathon and even has legitimate twists, where every non-Majora Zelda game would just be predictable. Also you spend the entire game as a wolf that learns new tricks while Twilight Princess struggled to explain why the Wolf-form even belongs in the game.

The thing is, the plot twists aren't really twists if you knew anything about classic Japanese mythology. :v: However, it is still a really great game and everybody ought to play it if they haven't already. The HD versions are stunning.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The first Darksiders is the best Fake Zelda game, I think.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
i would highly reccomend Beyond Good and Evil. I haven't played very much pf it yet, but what I have played was extremely enjoyable. It's one of the few games out there that really scratches that zelda-formula itch for me, whike having a unique world that's intriguing and inviting, and doesn't feel derivative.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

That applies to almost anything. I played through OoT recently because I love the game. As soon as I started it up, I realized I would hate it if I didn't have the nostalgia. The controls are terrible, and there's no direct camera control. You either have to use Z targeting or C-Up. Either of those has a small chance that you either target on to something or navi happened to be bitching at you and you're talking to her now. It has a terrible habit of moving the camera around for something but not putting it back. So when I'm racing out of the Kokori village and I stop to play Epona's song, it plays the song cutscene but then leaves the camera there. I either have to press Z to look the right way or now run towards the camera. Z targeting only works for rotating the camera, the game still decides the pitch. Often it decides to point the camera down when you're trying to look over or up at something. They should have used the D-pad to control the camera instead of having the entire D-Pad toggle the minimap. I don't know why you'd care if you could toggle that.

Nostalgia allows you to look past little annoyances to get to the part of the game you like.

maybe you're talking about Oot3D but using the d-pad to control the camera wouldn't have made any sense on the N64 controller

e: I agree with your overall point though

romanowski fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I certainly do hope it's a launch title.

Cojawfee posted:

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Every Zelda is the Best Zelda

:unsmith: