Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Got the oculus today from bestbuy for the $600 + $150GC deal

First impressions after an hour:
-The tracking setup is ghetto as hell, if you want to do 360 degrees with two sensors then you better have a usb 3.0 extension handy because they dont include one. On top of that in the setup process they say youre setting it up wrong if you have the sensors in opposite corners, you have override it when you set your sensors in the corners. Basically 360 degrees is NOT encouraged at all.

-The tracking for your hands is definitely not the same fidelity as vive, my hands are more "floaty" than the vive. Maybe i need to play around with how my sensors are pointing.. i dont know.

-The headset strap is better than the vive, and the headset is a LOT lighter than the vive, but I still prefer the psvr the most.

-headphones are really nice, every headset should have clip on headphones like these. I do wish they were open like my sennheiser px100s though, allows people to talk to me while im using vr

-the FOV on bullet train looked really bad, it feels really claustrophobic. Also seems like im seeing a weird mirror/distortion effect on the left and right sides of my vision. I have yet to try superhot VR though.

-force feedback is not as good as the vive controllers, going to assume its a lot weaker motor due to how light the controllers are

-actually not entirely sold on the touch controllers, while theyre lighter they feel oddly balanced on the outer part of my hand. Maybe its just the thumb placement that throws me off, the idle spot for the thumb isnt great.

Disappointing because i thought it would be 100% better than the vive and was hoping to just sell my vive and keep the oculus as my one headset, instead im probably going to sell or return the oculus? kind of conflicted here.

edit: Oh yeah, doesnt fit my glasses, i had to put contacts in otherwise the oculus just smashed my glasses against my face. Meanwhile my vive accomodates them perfectly. I understand the vive doesnt accomodate all glasses but its certainly more accomodating than the oculus.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jan 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Cojawfee posted:

Superhot VR is on sale for 20 bucks on Oculus.

Got a link? Cant find it in the oculus home store

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

coolskillrex remix posted:

Got the oculus today from bestbuy for the $600 + $150GC deal

First impressions after an hour:
-The tracking setup is ghetto as hell, if you want to do 360 degrees with two sensors then you better have a usb 3.0 extension handy because they dont include one. On top of that in the setup process they say youre setting it up wrong if you have the sensors in opposite corners, you have override it when you set your sensors in the corners. Basically 360 degrees is NOT encouraged at all.

-The tracking for your hands is definitely not the same fidelity as vive, my hands are more "floaty" than the vive. Maybe i need to play around with how my sensors are pointing.. i dont know.

-The headset strap is better than the vive, and the headset is a LOT lighter than the vive, but I still prefer the psvr the most.

-headphones are really nice, every headset should have clip on headphones like these. I do wish they were open like my sennheiser px100s though, allows people to talk to me while im using vr

-the FOV on bullet train looked really bad, it feels really claustrophobic. Also seems like im seeing a weird mirror/distortion effect on the left and right sides of my vision. I have yet to try superhot VR though.

-force feedback is not as good as the vive controllers, going to assume its a lot weaker motor due to how light the controllers are

-actually not entirely sold on the touch controllers, while theyre lighter they feel oddly balanced on the outer part of my hand. Maybe its just the thumb placement that throws me off, the idle spot for the thumb isnt great.

Disappointing because i thought it would be 100% better than the vive and was hoping to just sell my vive and keep the oculus as my one headset, instead im probably going to sell or return the oculus? kind of conflicted here.

edit: Oh yeah, doesnt fit my glasses, i had to put contacts in otherwise the oculus just smashed my glasses against my face. Meanwhile my vive accomodates them perfectly. I understand the vive doesnt accomodate all glasses but its certainly more accomodating than the oculus.

This entire post is why I keep recommending people try out both headsets before buying one

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Got a link? Cant find it in the oculus home store

It was a daily sale that has ended.

Flashbackjack
Jun 25, 2008

.....Also seems like im seeing a weird mirror/distortion effect on the left and right sides of my vision. I have yet to try superhot VR though.

The distortion happens for me if i haven't adjusted it correctly. Not sure what you need to do, but it is fixable. Try fiddling with the fit some more. Check your ipd. Move the headset up/down on your head and tilt it in/out.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

How big is your 2-sensor 360 degree setup? Oculus recommends that the distance between the two sensors be 3 meters (10 feet).
See: https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/t39.2365-6/15397552_232732683816172_4121045365602385920_n.pdf

This gives you a 5x5 foot play area (the cameras are placed outside that in a 7.2x7.2 foot box). The reason for this is that the drift correction gets worse when you are far away from the cameras. This is what is most likely giving you the floaty feeling. When I set up my 3-sensor layout, I noticed the headset itself feeling a little floaty. It was because my cameras were pointed too far down so I was only being seen at the outer range of one of the cameras. Also, make sure your cameras are being seen as USB 3. I am pretty sure that if the cameras are operating in USB 2 then the resolution of the image will be reduced, which will lower the longer-range accuracy.

The Rift's biggest flaws are definitely the tracking volume and the support for glasses.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

Lemming posted:

This entire post is why I keep recommending people try out both headsets before buying one

Spent most of last year wishing this was possible

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

If your hand tracking isn't rock solid 1:1, something is wrong with either your setup or hardware. Shouldn't be any different than Vive.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I haven't had any issues with Rift+Glasses, but I guess it depends on what kind of glasses you have. Someone recommended a pair from zenni that was like $13 that fit well in the Rift.

Also, the only issue with the room-scale Rift tracking is being able to pick stuff up off the floor, but that could be an occlusion thing since my space isn't 100% unobstructed. Otherwise it's just as good as the Vive.

Hand tracking seems on par with the Vive in my experience, but yeah, it feels like there's something "off" about the touch controllers, like they need a thumb/hand strap or something - when you release the grip button and lift your thumb up you're just kind of balancing it on your hand...it's hard to describe without it being in my hand right now, but I still prefer them over the Vive wands.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Shredder posted:

Also, the only issue with the room-scale Rift tracking is being able to pick stuff up off the floor, but that could be an occlusion thing since my space isn't 100% unobstructed. Otherwise it's just as good as the Vive.

It's probably a camera field of view thing. I'm 6'3" tall, so in order to track myself standing the cameras don't get a good view of the floor. It goes back to the tracking volume issue that the Vive excels at. While the tracking is identical between the Rift and the Vive when you are within the tracking volume, the Rift's trackable area is much smaller.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I think both the rift and the vive need a revamped tracking setup. The only time you see the actual "detection area" in VR for the rift is that quick 4 second "scanner beam" thing coming out of the sensors on finishing setup and AFIAK there isn't any VR representation at all for the vive.

I ended up doing the setup over and over again to try and make a best-guess of the best up/down angle of the camera head to be able to walk around and get as low as possible.

I've got 3 cameras and a solid 2m/1.5m play area but I get some slide at one of the corners. the cameras are at chest/stomach height currently so I'm going to buy some of those adhesive stands and see how things change above head height.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Dual-Passthrough cameras need to be a thing too. Vive came close but it's disorienting as hell with Valve's green-space thing going on.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Bhodi posted:

I think both the rift and the vive need a revamped tracking setup. The only time you see the actual "detection area" in VR for the rift is that quick 4 second "scanner beam" thing coming out of the sensors on finishing setup and AFIAK there isn't any VR representation at all for the vive.
There's this for Rift users, at least.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I didn't know this existed, this looks great and I'm going to try it when I get home!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Nalin posted:

It's probably a camera field of view thing. I'm 6'3" tall, so in order to track myself standing the cameras don't get a good view of the floor. It goes back to the tracking volume issue that the Vive excels at. While the tracking is identical between the Rift and the Vive when you are within the tracking volume, the Rift's trackable area is much smaller.

At 6'6" this is probably my problem as well, I bet placing a 3rd sensor in front of you lower to the ground with the existing 2 at your sides would fix that, but I don't really feel like dropping another 80 bucks on this poo poo right now

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shredder posted:

At 6'6" this is probably my problem as well, I bet placing a 3rd sensor in front of you lower to the ground with the existing 2 at your sides would fix that, but I don't really feel like dropping another 80 bucks on this poo poo right now
Putting the sensors up higher then angled downwards would definitely help; $10 two sensor mounts might be worth a try. The oculus demo booths had the sensor at ~6.5 feet, just above most people's head. At that angle, it can see pretty much all of the floor.

I still don't understand why they suggest two parallel cameras at thirds on the same wall instead of all on the corners. Maybe it's an image processing thing?

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 3, 2017

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Bhodi posted:

Putting the sensors up higher then angled downwards would definitely help; $10 two sensor mounts might be worth a try. The oculus demo booths had the sensor at ~6.5 feet, just above most people's head. At that angle, it can see pretty much all of the floor.

I've got mine in the corners, one is hanging from a guitar wall hangar about 6 feet up, the other one is jammed into a mic stand that is about 7 feet up. Maybe I just need some more down angle. I just kind of winging it since I'm waiting on some wall mounts to show up and then I'll spend some time perfecting it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Shredder posted:

I've got mine in the corners, one is hanging from a guitar wall hangar about 6 feet up, the other one is jammed into a mic stand that is about 7 feet up. Maybe I just need some more down angle. I just kind of winging it since I'm waiting on some wall mounts to show up and then I'll spend some time perfecting it.
Try that app, chances are you can angle it a lot more aggressively downward than you think... Hard to tell from that pic but it looks about pointed around the waist if you're in the center of the room.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

itch.io is having a VR game jam for anyone interested.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

Bhodi posted:

I've got 3 cameras and a solid 2m/1.5m play area but I get some slide at one of the corners. the cameras are at chest/stomach height currently so I'm going to buy some of those adhesive stands and see how things change above head height.

Do you have a link to those adhesive stands? My Touch arrived yesterday, and though I haven't hooked it up yet (my current PC only has 2 USB3 ports), I'm already thinking of where I'm going to put the sensors for room-scale.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Do you have a link to those adhesive stands? My Touch arrived yesterday, and though I haven't hooked it up yet (my current PC only has 2 USB3 ports), I'm already thinking of where I'm going to put the sensors for room-scale.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=adhesive+camera+mount

Pretty sure the first two are the same stand re-branded, which is what I got - one with a single fixable ball joint.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm on board the VR train by way of Oculus Rift. I got the headset today and the controllers are coming tommorow, but holy poo poo the two games I currently have (Elite Dangerous and Thumper) are multitudes more amazing now. Can't overstate how convincing the sheer scale of things are in VR, and watching the missus have an absolute balls to the wall freakout about the dinosaur in Dreamscapes was amazing to watch. Dying to play Superhot.

Experiencing minor queasiness here and there, and wearing my glasses is a bitch and a half because they feel slightly too wide for the headset and tend to get steamy occasionally, but I can see well enough without them on. It's such a trip. I was struggling to get past the pricepoint and the knowledge that it's early tech and the library of games is still small, but everytime I watched someone play something in VR I desperately wanted to be at the helm instead of them and trying one of the ghetto mobile phone VR sets was more than enough to sell me on the experience.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Welcome aboard dude. Download Gorn.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS is still probably one of the coolest VR experiences out there. At least top 4, in my opinion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If only they included a fun game in that cool experience.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Poetic Justice posted:

Elite Dangerous with a HOTAS is still probably one of the coolest VR experiences out there. At least top 4, in my opinion.

It's crazy how much more you get a sense of the size of the ships and cockpits.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Shredder posted:

I haven't had any issues with Rift+Glasses, but I guess it depends on what kind of glasses you have. Someone recommended a pair from zenni that was like $13 that fit well in the Rift.

Can you post the model? both of my glasses are from zenni and fit ok but I'd like to know what else to try.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Out of Ammo, the single player missions are insane fun. I hope it's still being actively developed. It is right? :ohdear:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Out of Ammo, the single player missions are insane fun. I hope it's still being actively developed. It is right? :ohdear:
Its not as far as new content goes, they're currently making a standalone expansion that will be a separate purchase.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

homeless snail posted:

Its not as far as new content goes, they're currently making a standalone expansion that will be a separate purchase.

Zombies oh well, they need money.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

StarkRavingMad posted:

It's crazy how much more you get a sense of the size of the ships and cockpits.

I looked forward to upgrading my ship so I wouldn't feel as cramped in my virtual non-existent cockpit.

Anyway - I just got around to playing the Budget Cuts demo. By far, my favorite game that I've played on the Vive. Can't wait for the full version.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Can anyone recommend a good hotas

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I got a ch joystick and vaguely regret it because it doesn't have the twist for Elite, which I never play or would play anyway because I have discovered it is intensely boring

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Poetic Justice posted:

What HOTAS are you using?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

McGiggins posted:

What HOTAS are you using?

I went with the Saitek x52 Pro. Kind of pricey, but I occasionally enjoy flight sims outside of VR, so it wasn't just for E:D. It does help that that's the one modeled in E:D though. That being said, there are cheaper ones like the Thrustmaster T Flight that would work just as well if you don't want to drop that much money.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

If you know you want a HOTAS enough to get a good one but also don't want to spend a fortune or deal with Saitek's drivers, look into the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I have this:

It was my dads, before I made it mine, but it no longer has a deadspot and always drifts to right when hands off. Never played a joystick game since it died and can't really justify buying a new one when the only game i would play with it would be X-Wing Alliance.

Which is a shame because elite looks visually sexsational and I otherwise would be willing to jump into it if not for the lack of a working joystick.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Helter Skelter posted:

If you know you want a HOTAS enough to get a good one but also don't want to spend a fortune or deal with Saitek's drivers, look into the Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS.
Or if you're like me and not sure you want to make that kind of investment, I got a Thrustmaster T-Flight Hotas X Flight Stick for $38 and it does everything I need for E:D while in VR. I needed to increase the deadzone in Elite's settings because it was a little too twitchy around the center where the stick is a little loose, but it was a big step up from using an XBOX controller because there are plenty more buttons.

Seconding what everyone is saying about Elite: Dangerous VR too. I didn't even ever play it on a monitor until after I had like 30 hours in game and when I did I was pretty disappointed about how boring it was to look at a picture of a spaceship cockpit on my monitor. It felt completely different. The scale of the space stations is incredible and being able to look around easily in combat is a huge advantage. I do wish it had better performance though because you've gotta lower the graphics settings to keep it running at 90 FPS, seems like for no reason I'll be sitting in a space station running 8-9ms/frame and then BLURRRRP it is locked down to 45 FPS and just stays there for 30 seconds then pops right back to "no problem". This is with the headset just sitting on the table so it isn't like I turned and looked at something complex. This is on a GTX 1070 as well.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
There are graphical presets in elite dangerous specifically for VR low, medium and high, tried any of those? I've not noticed any of that kind of shenanigans on my gtx 970ti, but I'm pretty bad at discerning framerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Stations in Elite are a very common spot for the frame rate to take a huge dump for no discernable reason other than "being in a station".

ASW on the Rift is good enough that you might not notice unless you're falling below 45fps or watching performance from outside the headset (where locking to 45fps is the sign that ASW is active), though. Unfortunately for Vive users in this case, SteamVR's reprojection implementation still has some catching up to do.