Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Didn't Schilling famously steal taxpayer money in Maryland?

Rhode Island.

Julio Cruz posted:

Rhode Island, he set up a game studio with a massive loan from the state government then defaulted on it when the studio went under. There's no question he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat but on stats alone he's certainly got a reasonable HoF case - 200 wins, 3000 IP, 3000 Ks, career ERA+ of 127, CY runner-up three times (to Johnson twice and Santana), 6 ASGs, 3 rings, 80.7 career WAR.

The other thing about Schilling is that you can make a very easy argument for him being the best postseason pitcher of all time (it's either him or Mo Rivera).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

No matter what the Jays are worse this year? Right?

crossing my fingers to squeak into a WC spot, yeah.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Schilling should be in the Hall of Fame but I also understand why a baseball journalist might be reluctant to vote for the guy who supports lynching journalists.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

Rhode Island, he set up a game studio with a massive loan from the state government then defaulted on it when the studio went under. There's no question he's a tremendous rear end in a top hat but on stats alone he's certainly got a reasonable HoF case - 200 wins, 3000 IP, 3000 Ks, career ERA+ of 127, CY runner-up three times (to Johnson twice and Santana), 6 ASGs, 3 rings, 80.7 career WAR.
Right. My point being that Schilling is a slam-dunk HoF'er based on his pitching. Its everything else that makes him less deserving, and this is essentially the opposite of what davecrazy posted. Since davecrazy is, well, davecrazy, this solidifies my beliefs.

edit: It seems like the obvious answer to Schilling's case is to deny him entry until after he dies. If he wants to be a bigoted blowhard rear end in a top hat, then so be it, but we don't have to give him the smug satisfaction of induction nor the platform that comes with it. He gets a plaque after he's dead so that future generations can rightly know how good he was on the field.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 4, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

His fake blood sock is in the hall which is plenty for him. Also just let Bagwell in you fuckers

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Pussy Boss posted:

Schilling should be in the Hall of Fame but I also understand why a baseball journalist might be reluctant to vote for the guy who supports lynching journalists.

I guess I get tired of writers bringing up the character clause when the BBWAA still considered child molester Bill Conlin a member in good standing, and a decade ago the Hall of Fame convened a special Negro League committee with the pretty explicit purpose of putting Buck O'Neil in ... and then that committee wound up electing seventeen people, including a white owner, but leaving O'Neil out.

I also have to laugh at every writer who brings up Schilling's win total as a knock against him (well, I laugh at writers who give a poo poo about pitcher wins in general, but that's neither here nor there). He spent basically a decade on some truly, truly terrible Philadelphia teams, so of course his win-loss record took some bruises.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/KTAR923/status/816431204236869632

place hasn't even been open for 20 years

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Timby posted:

The other thing about Schilling is that you can make a very easy argument for him being the best postseason pitcher of all time (it's either him or Mo Rivera).

Curt Schilling is ... clutch?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Timby posted:

I guess I get tired of writers bringing up the character clause when the BBWAA still considered child molester Bill Conlin a member in good standing, and a decade ago the Hall of Fame convened a special Negro League committee with the pretty explicit purpose of putting Buck O'Neil in ... and then that committee wound up electing seventeen people, including a white owner, but leaving O'Neil out.

I also have to laugh at every writer who brings up Schilling's win total as a knock against him (well, I laugh at writers who give a poo poo about pitcher wins in general, but that's neither here nor there). He spent basically a decade on some truly, truly terrible Philadelphia teams, so of course his win-loss record took some bruises.
I don't think it's the character clause. It's literally because he "joked" about lynching journalists. They are simply saying, "nah, that guy can gently caress right off"

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Given how good Happ and Estrada were last year, pitching could easily be worse, too.

I believe in Estrada being one of those dudes that breaks fip because it doesn't account for flyball pitchers that can induce lovely contact at an elite rate.

Happ probably regresses but so does Stroman which sort of cancel each other out. Sanchez should be as good or better. Liriano is at least as good as Dickey, and could be much much better than him.

The pen is still just a pile of hopes and dreams, but same with last year.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

I don't think it's the character clause. It's literally because he "joked" about lynching journalists. They are simply saying, "nah, that guy can gently caress right off"

It turns out telling the group of people whose votes you need that they're terrible people who should be violently murdered doesn't get you votes, who knew?

Yet another team that will probably get a new/renovated stadium before the A's do.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The hitting is ya. Pitching might actually be better.

Lol. Our bullpen has 2 or 3 good pitchers. Realistically, Happ and or Estrada won't pitch quite as good as last year. Sanchez will be great, who knows about Stroman.

And our hitting is way worse. We are maybe the 3rd best AL east team now and like 6th in the AL for wildcard.

And according to the Toronto Star, the Jays are denying reports they are in serious talks to bring Bautista back.

Who wants to bet Bats doesnt even get a contract this off season? The QO really screwed him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Timby posted:

and a decade ago the Hall of Fame convened a special Negro League committee with the pretty explicit purpose of putting Buck O'Neil in ... and then that committee wound up electing seventeen people, including a white owner, but leaving O'Neil out.

This has nothing to do with the hall, but I got to meet Buck a couple of years before he died and he was just as awesome as any article you've ever read about him. 90 plus years old and he'd sit there and shoot the poo poo about baseball with anyone for as long as you were willing to listen.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Sydin posted:

It turns out telling the group of people whose votes you need that they're terrible people who should be violently murdered doesn't get you votes, who knew?

So who's the Trump in this scenario?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

Yet another team that will probably get a new/renovated stadium before the A's do.

Nah, Maricopa County gave them the finger and the public is generally anti-new stadium too, ironically because of the Coyotes. But yeah, they're gonna be stuck at Chase for awhile.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Really is this simple.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grittybeard posted:

This has nothing to do with the hall, but I got to meet Buck a couple of years before he died and he was just as awesome as any article you've ever read about him. 90 plus years old and he'd sit there and shoot the poo poo about baseball with anyone for as long as you were willing to listen.

Ernie Banks was the same way. Dude just loved to talk about baseball. He would randomly pop into Chicago bars and just start shooting the breeze with people. I ran into him once at Melnick's in the River North neighborhood and he was one of the most incredibly laid-back individuals I've ever met.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

finally got around to watching the world series dvd. it is good.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

patonthebach posted:

Lol. Our bullpen has 2 or 3 good pitchers.

How is this any different than the majority of last season?

I already went over the starters.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

How is this any different than the majority of last season?

I already went over the starters.

Well the first half of the year we had one of the worst bullpens in the league. I don't think we will be as lucky this year with trading for a few old relievers for nothing and having them pitch great second halfs?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

bawfuls posted:

Right. My point being that Schilling is a slam-dunk HoF'er based on his pitching. Its everything else that makes him less deserving, and this is essentially the opposite of what davecrazy posted. Since davecrazy is, well, davecrazy, this solidifies my beliefs.

edit: It seems like the obvious answer to Schilling's case is to deny him entry until after he dies. If he wants to be a bigoted blowhard rear end in a top hat, then so be it, but we don't have to give him the smug satisfaction of induction nor the platform that comes with it. He gets a plaque after he's dead so that future generations can rightly know how good he was on the field.

Embrace the Ron Santo Clause of waiting until the player dies to put them in because the voters don't like you

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Schilling should make more vidiar games

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

Who won?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Popete posted:

Who won?

the bears

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

patonthebach posted:

Well the first half of the year we had one of the worst bullpens in the league. I don't think we will be as lucky this year with trading for a few old relievers for nothing and having them pitch great second halfs?

The Jays pen went from having a 4.05 era in the first half to a 4.18 era in the second half.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I've decided to buy into the vague narrative that Russell Martin's Veteran Presence will continue to fix every bad pitcher who comes to the jays, forever, until such a time as Reese Mcguire can get a really big beard.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I've decided to buy into the vague narrative that Russell Martin's Veteran Presence will continue to fix every bad pitcher who comes to the jays, forever.

Fixed the bullpen! and Liriano! Veteran presences!!!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Fixing Liriano is just waiting for the correct celestial alignment and then taking credit for it.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

Ernie Banks was the same way. Dude just loved to talk about baseball. He would randomly pop into Chicago bars and just start shooting the breeze with people. I ran into him once at Melnick's in the River North neighborhood and he was one of the most incredibly laid-back individuals I've ever met.

A friend of mine who'd never met Ernie Banks is his life somehow got his address and decided to send him an invitation to his wedding as a shot in the dark. Ernie sent back the RSVP with a handwritten message congratulating them and saying that he was sorry he'd be unable to attend, with his autograph at the bottom.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
N: Rajai Davis to the A's on a 1y/6MM deal

V: That homer in the 8th was worth at least a million in 2017 salary, wasn't it

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

bawfuls posted:

If you go by fame in the sense of major accomplishments than he's pretty famous. His 2001 run with Randy is the kind of thing that would've gotten him in by itself if he were simply a quiet rear end in a top hat, add to that the 2004 Bloody Sock stuff. When I think Hall of Stats, not Hall of Fame I more think of guys who put up big numbers without a lot of fanfare, who weren't recognized for their greatness at the time, etc. Mussina is that kind of guy, and I really don't know if he's getting in. Anyone, internet poster or Hall of Fame voter, trying to make an actual recommendation against Schilling because of what he did on the field is being dishonest. If he weren't a total dick I'd think he would have gotten in 1st ballot.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Someone reminded me on facebook that Ebbets Field Flannels is doing their annual clearance sale now. Lots of goofy tshirts and hats from old minor/independent/negro league teams.

A rooster with a bat!

:lol: sexjoke

cat :stare:

Anyway, you get the idea

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I believe in Estrada being one of those dudes that breaks fip because it doesn't account for flyball pitchers that can induce lovely contact at an elite rate.

The worry with Estrada wouldn't be "regression will get him" but rather he'll get caught by some combination of him not being as good, teams getting better at doing stuff like sitting on his change, and the league generally getting better at dealing with shitballers who work high in the zone.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

The Jays pen went from having a 4.05 era in the first half to a 4.18 era in the second half.

Wow. I can't believe the stats. I guess I just had one too many flashbacks of having to rely on Drew "6 ERA" Storen and Chavez as bullpen help. Either way, bottom third ERA bullpen. Not going to cut it when even with great starting pitching our hitting,fielding and baserunning are looking to be trending downward.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

CubsWoo posted:

N: Rajai Davis to the A's on a 1y/6MM deal

V: That homer in the 8th was worth at least a million in 2017 salary, wasn't it

It was probably my favorite moment of the postseason. Rajai was like the only watchable part of the A's from 08-10 and I'm looking forward to watching him steal 20 bases and then get flipped at the deadline.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

bawfuls posted:

Someone reminded me on facebook that Ebbets Field Flannels is doing their annual clearance sale now. Lots of goofy tshirts and hats from old minor/independent/negro league teams.

Anyway, you get the idea

Oh poo poo, thanks for the heads up. I got a Seattle Raniers shirt when I went to their store in Seattle and it's like my favorite baseball shirt. I can't find it on their website, so I think I got lucky. I have always meant to get a few more.

Going to get a Commies shirt.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

R.D. Mangles posted:

One of my favorite DVD's ever. But then again I"m biased.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Barry Bonds was known for being pretty surly with reporters but I don't think he ever called for them to die.

Schilling's case is uncomfortable to me, because by his numbers he should absolutely be in but he really is an awful person. But yeah, if you suggesting lynching journalists, and then cry foul that journalists won't vote for you, yeah maybe you shouldn't be in the hall.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

They still make DVDs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Timby posted:

LOL what? Madison Bumgarner is arguably better than even Schilling in the postseason so far and he isn't even that old.

Sorry but statistically Schilling doesn't touch the past few pitchers who have been enshrined. If it wasn't for 2001 and 2004's heroics nobody would give a gently caress about him getting in. He still had a decent chance to get voted in just based on those performances alone but decided to piss away the coin flip decision by being a loving dipshit. I can understand people wanting Bonds/Clemens finally voted in but nobody will hugely care when Schilling gets left off. People saying he'd have gotten in "first ballot" otherwise are crazy.

Just to gently caress with him, I hope Mussina gets his votes instead.

• Locked thread