Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hat Thoughts posted:

Not rly haha, you want there to be acknowledgement from Disney that the films have been edited & that the original versions have value that's been lessened by and/or distinct from the later special editions?

I want to buy the films in a manner that is similar to every other film out there. If there's other versions they will be included.

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think the theatrical version of BvS is complete garbage and the extended is miles better, but it wouldn't be fair to those that prefer the original if they didn't release it. I know that a few of you here dig the theatrical more so than the extended.

Having both versions is neat.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

blu-rays end up as a file on my computer after I'm done with them

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Speaking of alt versions. Does the Hateful Eight bluray contain the 70mm version with the interlude?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

I think the theatrical version of BvS is complete garbage and the extended is miles better, but it wouldn't be fair to those that prefer the original if they didn't release it. I know that a few of you here dig the theatrical more so than the extended.

Having both versions is neat.

Yeah but the thing I was saying earlier is that what you're asking for exactly already exists exactly. I don't understand why it being unofficial/not available for "purchase" somehow makes it less valid when you can still get it super easy.
Like ,yeah, I agree that it's too bad that they didn't officially release a high-res version but who cares, people put in a lot of time and effort and did it themselves and now it's out there. Who cares if it's "unofficial" if it's the exact same thing?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I think multiple cuts is one of the best extras you can have on Blu-Ray. Especially since it's more practical. Sony had to release the DVD edition of their 30th anniversary set for Close Encounters of the Third Kind over three discs (one for each cut) while the Blu-Ray has all three cuts on one disc.

MacheteZombie posted:

Speaking of alt versions. Does the Hateful Eight bluray contain the 70mm version with the interlude?

No and it seems like it'll remain a 70mm print exclusive.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Dammit, not surprised though.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

There's one 35mm print that's identical to the Roadshow version, but it's in Quentin's personal collection and he only shows it for special occasions at the New Beverly Cinema. :clint:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Yeah but the thing I was saying earlier is that what you're asking for exactly already exists exactly. I don't understand why it being unofficial/not available for "purchase" somehow makes it less valid when you can still get it super easy.
Like ,yeah, I agree that it's too bad that they didn't officially release a high-res version but who cares, people put in a lot of time and effort and did it themselves and now it's out there. Who cares if it's "unofficial" if it's the exact same thing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqSmmsrZYw4

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

my new hobby is to once a week (at least) throw on a movie that is going to really drive my surround sound system. Today is my last day before getting back to real life so I watched Pacific Rim and then Lone Survivor back to back. Both were great but Lone Survivor was much more impressive on a sound level. Pacific Rim was LOUD, but Lone Survivor was so rich in sound. Bullets flying, explosions, ambient sound, everything was top notch.

I'm thinking about making a thread about best home theater showoff movies, discussion about if/when to upgrade to 4k, etc.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

blue squares posted:

my new hobby is to once a week (at least) throw on a movie that is going to really drive my surround sound system. Today is my last day before getting back to real life so I watched Pacific Rim and then Lone Survivor back to back. Both were great but Lone Survivor was much more impressive on a sound level. Pacific Rim was LOUD, but Lone Survivor was so rich in sound. Bullets flying, explosions, ambient sound, everything was top notch.

I'm thinking about making a thread about best home theater showoff movies, discussion about if/when to upgrade to 4k, etc.

Do it. I'll contribute.

While I don't care as much about whether a track has surround or not, I love it when it's an immersive mix.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
My friend just showed me that when he did his last job as an exterminator he asked the guy if he could keep a VHS in his collection that was sitting downstairs. He said yes. The VHS?

I'm so jealous.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Hat Thoughts posted:

It's just kind of loving insane that the only way to get an original, superior copy of one of the most important films in American cinematic history is to pirate it. The George Lucas edits are noticeably inferior to the original cut of a film that drastically changed American cinema, but the only way you can obtain the superior, original cut is through illegal means. To me, that's loving bonkers.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

My friend just showed me that when he did his last job as an exterminator he asked the guy if he could keep a VHS in his collection that was sitting downstairs. He said yes. The VHS?

I'm so jealous.

That movie must be incomprehensible in pan & scan.

Also, I'm not a fan of the movie, but Criterion's artwork is awesome:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

GonSmithe posted:

I'm so jealous.

I found a copy of that at goodwill awhile back, haven't hooked my VRC up to watch it, but I keep it out on display along with my copy of Re-Animator.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Any nostalgia I might have for VHS ends as soon as I think about this. Poor sound and picture quality is one thing, but 99% of the films you find on VHS are presented in an incorrect aspect ratio. Sure some of the covers were cool, but VHS was cinephiles' worst enemy.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, I'm not a fan of the movie, but Criterion's artwork is awesome:

Awesome? Looks like a generic airport novel

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A local record store has criterion blurays of The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth (no booklets, for whatever reason), for $99 each. I was too tempted, but thankfully didn't go through with it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

I found a copy of that at goodwill awhile back, haven't hooked my VRC up to watch it, but I keep it out on display along with my copy of Re-Animator.

The correct spelling is Re-loving-Animator.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

A local record store has criterion blurays of The Third Man and The Man Who Fell To Earth (no booklets, for whatever reason), for $99 each. I was too tempted, but thankfully didn't go through with it.

Back when Netflix was a DVD delivery service I got both of those, should have eaten the 15 dollar disc replacement fee.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I definitely would have at least bought Third Man if I hadn't bought the DVD from a different place a couple weeks ago. I'll seek out the bluray whenever I get a better paying job.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
haha i have both blu-rays, and also pierrot le fou and last year at marienbad :shittydog:

Spatulater bro! posted:

Any nostalgia I might have for VHS ends as soon as I think about this. Poor sound and picture quality is one thing, but 99% of the films you find on VHS are presented in an incorrect aspect ratio. Sure some of the covers were cool, but VHS was cinephiles' worst enemy.

That's definitely the worst part. Open matte I can handle, but pan-scan is abhorrent.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I passed up The Third Man Criterion blu-ray at Barnes and Noble a few days after it was announced to be OOP because I hadn't heard the news. I found out the next day. I rushed back to the store and nope :(

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

haha i have both blu-rays, and also pierrot le fou and last year at marienbad :shittydog:

That's definitely the worst part. Open matte I can handle, but pan-scan is abhorrent.

Die yuppie scum!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I bought The Third Man when it was only $16.99 on Amazon. :smug:

Spatulater bro! posted:

I don't think it was that bad in general since most films shot for standard widescreen (1.85:1) tend to work just fine.

Scope films are simply murdered. Can you believe films like The Royal Tenenbaums or Moulin Rouge! even had 4x3 versions? They're unwatchable because every single shot is composed in such a way that it's unintelligible without the full image.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

blue squares posted:

Die yuppie scum!

I just kind of slowly collected them as I found them for cheap. I saw the Chungking blu for like $15 once and I'm mad I didn't pick it up because it's one of my favorite movies. I'm like Citizen Kane, dying on a pile of OOPs I'm lukewarm on and muttering about Wong Kar-Wai.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hat Thoughts posted:

no people spent years of their life making it identical to the laserdisc in hd

Except it's not

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think I ever pre-ordered a Criterion, though I ordered Army of Shadows when it was going OOP off Criterion's site. Well worth it.

The only pre-orders I've had this decade were the Lawrence of Arabia gift set, Napoleon, Masters of Cinema Metropolis steelbook, and the Marx Brothers set. And It's Such a Beautiful Day if that counts.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also why the gently caress should I have to pirate it to watch the movie the way it was originally presented

It's a real important movie in American cinema it should just be fuckin available

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It's just kind of loving insane that the only way to get an original, superior copy of one of the most important films in American cinematic history is to pirate it. The George Lucas edits are noticeably inferior to the original cut of a film that drastically changed American cinema, but the only way you can obtain the superior, original cut is through illegal means. To me, that's loving bonkers.

The original theatrical cut of The Exorcist is only available through piracy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Also official release of the holiday special

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think that can't be released due to the Geneva Conventions.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't think I ever pre-ordered a Criterion, though I ordered Army of Shadows when it was going OOP off Criterion's site. Well worth it.

The only pre-orders I've had this decade were the Lawrence of Arabia gift set, Napoleon, Masters of Cinema Metropolis steelbook, and the Marx Brothers set. And It's Such a Beautiful Day if that counts.

The only Criterion I've pre-ordered is the Before Trilogy a couple months ago because it was $39.95 at Amazon by mistake.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I agree with George Lucas. It's absolute garbage. The only good part, the Boba Fett cartoon, is on the Complete Saga Blu-Ray set, anyways.

(If I were a betting man, I'd say we're finally getting at least Star Wars '77 unaltered this year. It's the 40th anniversary and there's a new 4K restoration)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The George Lucas edits are noticeably inferior to the original cut

Lmao, the death Star dogfight sequence of the theatrical cut looks like loving garbage compared to the SE cut among other things

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I bought TMWFTE on SA Mart (along with Frost/Nixon) for like $40.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how alien and eerie the emperor looked in his first appearance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The original theatrical cut of The Exorcist is only available through piracy.

Which would also be bad if it were true

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Right, the point is that it's not unusual.

I think the conclusion Hat Thoughts is approaching with CelticPredator is that [i]even receiving exactly what he demanded would not bring satisfaction.[/B] The goal is the desiring itself. Desire is sustained as long as the thing remains unobtainable.

The actual 'unusual' new phenomenon is not the existence of rare alternate cuts, but a marked rise in speculation about hidden alternate versions - even of film that haven't been released at all yet. This is a tactic for sustaining desire.

The new innovation has been speculation that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't think there's anything wrong with small fixes or cleaning up effects as long as it's seamless.

More so, the filmmakers ought to be involved or at least the fixes reflect what you'd see in original prints.

• Locked thread