Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'd also like to add that a weapon like a batleth is more than likely impossible to sharpen. Curves make your job much harder. I have sharpened both kitchen knives and swords by hand and with a belt sander because I'm a chef and a huge nerd. But not a huge enough nerd to make up a fake story about defending my animes from a level 3 Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

My deep, deep hope for the post-millennial generation is that they have a massive popular backlash against nerd poo poo. Like, when they hit their rebellious phase they key in to the fact that the best way to piss off their parents is to hate Harry Potter and Star Wars.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Verisimilidude posted:

I'd also like to add that a weapon like a batleth is more than likely impossible to sharpen. Curves make your job much harder. I have sharpened both kitchen knives and swords by hand and with a belt sander because I'm a chef and a huge nerd. But not a huge enough nerd to make up a fake story about defending my animes from a level 3 Rogue.
Convex curves are fine, concave ones are annoying. Several large concave curves on something that unweildy would be a nightmare.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Jan 3, 2017

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

LanceHunter posted:

My deep, deep hope for the post-millennial generation is that they have a massive popular backlash against nerd poo poo. Like, when they hit their rebellious phase they key in to the fact that the best way to piss off their parents is to hate Harry Potter and Star Wars.

This would be extremely good

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Who the gently caress likes vanilla frosties, thanks but no thanks, imaginary Wendy's employee

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

life is killing me posted:

Who the gently caress likes vanilla frosties, thanks but no thanks, imaginary Wendy's employee

"Thanks, you guys are awesome. Also I wrote that down on the place mat for you."

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

LanceHunter posted:

"That's it, Galadriel, Lando, go to your rooms!"

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, don't gently caress with real swords. $30 mall katanas can barely cut a 2 liter in half, but real swords kept sharp are going to gently caress up every bit of flesh they touch.

My cousin is/was a swordsmith in Toledo, Spain. You wouldn't want to gently caress with him and any sword he made. People forget that they're made to kill other people. They don't even have to be very sharp, just handled with some degree of competence. You can see from the pictures how one guy tried to stop the blade with his hand. Bad idea without gloves, not really good with them either. And stopping the blade with your face isn't such a good idea, either.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Khazar-khum posted:

You can see from the pictures how one guy tried to stop the blade with his hand.

That's a very natural reaction. It'd take lots of training to do something else instead. And by stop with his hand, I'm sure it was more like cower and shield his head with his hands out.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Khazar-khum posted:

My cousin is/was a swordsmith in Toledo, Spain. You wouldn't want to gently caress with him and any sword he made. People forget that they're made to kill other people. They don't even have to be very sharp, just handled with some degree of competence. You can see from the pictures how one guy tried to stop the blade with his hand. Bad idea without gloves, not really good with them either. And stopping the blade with your face isn't such a good idea, either.

Just make sure he never sells anything to a six-fingered man.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

kimbo305 posted:

That's a very natural reaction. It'd take lots of training to do something else instead. And by stop with his hand, I'm sure it was more like cower and shield his head with his hands out.

Didn't work out so well, did it?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Khazar-khum posted:

Didn't work out so well, did it?

I mean that blow might have been caught with the hand instead of the face for all we know.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Some rare reverse stdh. I expected to see "I was at the mall in uniform with my medals and some jock called me a babykiller and spat at me, so I beat the poo poo out of him with my military training. Everyone applauded and the cops didn't charge me with anything"

Or is that :thejoke:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
:thejoke: is K-mart. I haven't seen one in about ten years.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

hogmartin posted:

:thejoke: is K-mart. I haven't seen one in about ten years.

I know of a single open K-Mart in Ocala, FL. One of the most redneck of major Florida towns.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
A Marine was taking college classes between his deployments to Afghanistan.

One of his courses had a professor that was an atheist and a member of the ACLU. One day the professor shocked everyone by walking into class, looking up and stating "God, if you are real, I want you to come down and knock me off this platform, I will give you 15 minutes.

Several minutes tick by in silence, when the 15 min. time almost expired the Marine gets up from his seat, approaches the professor and punched him in the face knocking him off the platform and out cold. The Marine simply went back to his seat.

The professor came to, visibly shaken and asked the Marine, "What the heck did you do that for?!"

The Marine said, "God was busy protecting America's military who are out protecting your right to say stupid poo poo like that, so he sent me to fill in."

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Classic.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

LanceHunter posted:

"Someone help my incredibly buff jock son keeps knocking my anime dvds out of my hands"

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

I know of a single open K-Mart in Ocala, FL. One of the most redneck of major Florida towns.

Calling Ocala "major" is exceedingly generous

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It's got over 57,000 people as of the last census. That's what, 10% of the total population of Wyoming?

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

http://imgur.com/gallery/j227K

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

It's basically a lone oasis (albeit filled with meth and prostitutes) in between Tampa and Gainesville so I consider it somewhat major. At least you'll find semi-respectable chain restaurants there. Speaking of K-mart though there was still one in Gainesville when I moved away a few years back. They are rare and terrible but they are still around.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah I'm sure a wall of text of threats would make someone turn humble/respectful and not elicit a call to the police.

Also no whiskey is truly worth 10000 dollars a bottle and that is twice the highest price I saw for any bottle of that stuff after quickly checking google. Why can't people just say he stole something more reasonable someone might have, like a 300-500 dollar bottle? Why is it always the super rare thing that is the top result when you search for "most expensive _____"?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Speaking of K-mart though there was still one in Gainesville when I moved away a few years back. They are rare and terrible but they are still around.

Are they still stores that are even notionally owned and operated by any business though? I'm picturing K-marts out in low-rent cracked parking lot areas across the US, still operating on some kind of institutional inertia. Cheerful people still open them every day, even though nobody ever comes in. There's no head office to report to, but because they haven't sold anything since 1997, the lack of a supply chain doesn't matter much. There are probably Caldor and Zayre stores out there still running the same way, in their own pocket retail universe.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hogmartin posted:

Are they still stores that are even notionally owned and operated by any business though? I'm picturing K-marts out in low-rent cracked parking lot areas across the US, still operating on some kind of institutional inertia. Cheerful people still open them every day, even though nobody ever comes in. There's no head office to report to, but because they haven't sold anything since 1997, the lack of a supply chain doesn't matter much. There are probably Caldor and Zayre stores out there still running the same way, in their own pocket retail universe.

Last time I went in it it was pretty empty of customers and a lot of the shelves were half-full/empty. It constantly looked like they were going out of business but it stuck around in that state for years. There's basically no reason to go to kmart anymore when even the most rundown old walmart (which Gainesville's is) has a better selection and prices. I'd still exclusively stick to Target though for the much better+cleaner atmosphere even if they were more pricy.

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013
K-Mart chat: Oddly enough, here in Oregon, K-mart seems to be hanging on quite well. We have one here in Corvallis that's clean, bright, well stocked and not in a bad part of town. Same for Salem and Roseburg. There's also apparently 3 in Portland. On the other hand, Target and WalMart here are what you'd expect a K-mart to be, dingy, understaffed, and always out of stock.

But then again, the dream of the 90's IS alive in Portland, I'm told...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Yeah I'm sure a wall of text of threats would make someone turn humble/respectful and not elicit a call to the police.

Also no whiskey is truly worth 10000 dollars a bottle and that is twice the highest price I saw for any bottle of that stuff after quickly checking google. Why can't people just say he stole something more reasonable someone might have, like a 300-500 dollar bottle? Why is it always the super rare thing that is the top result when you search for "most expensive _____"?

It is insane how pervasive is the idea that whiskey ages in the bottle.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

http://www.boredpanda.com/most-savage-comebacks-ever-heard/?utm_source=tina&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=viralagain

10 shits that didn't happen

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

There's one in Savannah, GA too. It is equally lovely a store as the rest of them with lovely employees who are rude and dgaf

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

life is killing me posted:

The chicky nugs have already been devoured, much to our penefit, to ehlp us see the note left by the abused employee

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Speaking of K-mart though there was still one in Gainesville when I moved away a few years back. They are rare and terrible but they are still around.

Can confirm: It's still here and doing business. The old, rundown Wal-Mart you spoke of is no more (doesn't matter if you were referring to the one on 13th or the one on Archer Rd., they're both gone), two of which were demolished and rebuilt in different areas.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
hey look kmart has a list of all their currently operating stores

http://www.kmart.com/stores.html

we don't actually need to self-report them town-by-town

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

We don't NEED to but I also don't need to wipe my rear end after taking a huge poo poo

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

InediblePenguin posted:

Yeah, they're actually doing better than their sister store: Sears.

But the entire Sear Holding Corp is slowly being driven out of business. Eddie Lampert is tries to run Sears and KMart as the prophetess Rand would want. As you can expect, it's not turning out well. Zero money is churned back to the stores or infrastructure. Instead they buy back stock and try to be a poor copy of Amazon online.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

InediblePenguin posted:

Well, the joke's on you for thinking anyone here was going to check the website of a dead dying department store chain, or assume it is being updated.

I mean, the website has to be run by the department store fairies and not by actual people because ffs how does Kmart still exist

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

flosofl posted:

Yeah, they're actually doing better than their sister store: Sears.

But the entire Sear Holding Corp is slowly being driven out of business. Eddie Lampert is tries to run Sears and KMart as the prophetess Rand would want. As you can expect, it's not turning out well. Zero money is churned back to the stores or infrastructure. Instead they buy back stock and try to be a poor copy of Amazon online.

Or do you forget Sears became famous by way of their mail order business?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

oldpainless posted:

We don't NEED to but I also don't need to wipe my rear end after taking a huge poo poo

More like oldtoiletpaperless

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

WampaLord posted:

More like oldtoiletpaperless

Well, while we're talking about the Sears catalog...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Do people just craft these as elaborate jokes now? Literally every comment on the post is just calling it out as fake so I'm not sure who ever believes these any more.