Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright, new question.

What are the best matches in Hogan era 80's WWF to not feature Randy Savage?

Vs. Ultimate Warrior at WM 6

EDIT: That's 1990.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ChrisBTY posted:

Alright, new question.

What are the best matches in Hogan era 80's WWF to not feature Randy Savage?

Rockers vs Brainbusters

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

new phone who dis posted:

Vs. Ultimate Warrior at WM 6

EDIT: That's 1990.
Eh, you can make the argument that it's the end of that "Hogan era 80's WWF".

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Hogan vs Bob Backlund at the Philly Spectrum in 1980, and the rematch.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Steel Cage match, Tito Santana vs Greg Valentine for the IC title.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Pat Patterson vs Sgt. Slaughter, Alley Fight, 5/4/81
Iron Sheik vs Sgt. Slaughter, Boot Camp Match, 4/23/84

Sgt. Slaughter is the king of Hardcore, apparently. These are great though, seriously.

Brainbusters vs Hart Foundation, Summerslam '89. 4 guys working their asses off, great match. Bret bumps like a pinball in this.

Rick Rude vs Ultimate Warrior, Summerslam '89. The only guy who could get good matches out of Warrior other than a two meticulous planners like Savage and Hogan was Rude. Rude's injury in the 90's was a real shame, he'd really become a complete wrestler capable of doing most things well.

"Rugged" Ronnie Garvin vs Greg Valentine Summerslam '89. Doesn't seem like it'd a be a great match, but they beat the gently caress out of each other in this. They also would whale on one another at the '89 Rumble. Good times.

Mr. Perfect vs "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin, 12/12/89 Awesome but simple story where Perfect is still undefeated and Garvin keeps frustrating him and makes you think he might just pull it off, it's really solid.

The second match and last match I saw because of the DVDVR best of the WWE 1980's set, don't know if the last match will be on the network or not.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jan 2, 2017

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Valentine/Garvin at the Rumble is the best match in Rumble history and anyone who argues otherwise is wrong, and kid me who made that show his first wrestling rental from the library will explain for hours how and why you are wrong and stupid.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

super macho dude posted:

Hogan vs Bob Backlund at the Philly Spectrum in 1980, and the rematch.

i misread the question as best Hogan match in the 80's. Nvr mind, Hogan never had a good match (without Savage) in the 80's outside of Japan. Brother.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
I misread the question as well, but for a good Hogan match in the 80's WWF sans Savage, the cage match with Bossman is fairly solid.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Pat Patterson vs Sgt. Slaughter, Alley Fight, 5/4/81
Iron Sheik vs Sgt. Slaughter, Boot Camp Match, 4/23/84

Sgt. Slaughter is the king of Hardcore, apparently. These are great though, seriously.

Brainbusters vs Hart Foundation, Summerslam '89. 4 guys working their asses off, great match. Bret bumps like a pinball in this.

Rick Rude vs Ultimate Warrior, Summerslam '89. The only guy who could get good matches out of Warrior other than a two meticulous planners like Savage and Hogan was Rude. Rude's injury in the 90's was a real shame, he'd really become a complete wrestler capable of doing most things well.

"Rugged" Ronnie Garvin vs Greg Valentine Summerslam '89. Doesn't seem like it'd a be a great match, but they beat the gently caress out of each other in this. They also would whale on one another at the '89 Rumble. Good times.

Mr. Perfect vs "Rugged" Ronnie Garvin, 12/12/89 Awesome but simple story where Perfect is still undefeated and Garvin keeps frustrating him and makes you think he might just pull it off, it's really solid.

The second match and last match I saw because of the DVDVR best of the WWE 1980's set, don't know if the last match will be on the network or not.

There's a shoot interview with valentine where he talks about those matches with Ron Garvin and how they kept challenging each other to take more and more stiff rear end shots. The SS89 match is kind of incredible because of this. Like, yeah of course the finish was pre-determined, but they're honestly beating the living gently caress out of each other.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Valentine/Garvin at the Rumble is the best match in Rumble history and anyone who argues otherwise is wrong, and kid me who made that show his first wrestling rental from the library will explain for hours how and why you are wrong and stupid.

I'll always hold up Cena vs Umaga at Rumble 2007 as my favourite.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

HHH vs Cactus is my personal favorite, and I think Angle vs Benoit is the accepted answer.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

HHH vs Cactus is my personal favorite, and I think Angle vs Benoit is the accepted answer.

:agreed:

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Yeah man, Angle/Benoit is the sort of match I can watch to this day and STILL think Benoit has a chance to pull it off.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

rare Magic card l00k posted:

didn't know the OSW guys posted here

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Rockers vs Brainbusters

this. the Perfect v Garvin match is great too

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

TheHoosier posted:

didn't know the OSW guys posted here

this. the Perfect v Garvin match is great too

What was the perfect v garvin match on? Was it on like prime time wrestling or something?

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

new phone who dis posted:

I don't even watch regularly and I still feel like I've seen everyone feud with everyone. Maybe no-name jobbers and enhancement talent was the glue making all the interesting poo poo happen.

that, and having an eternity of tv/network time to fill every week. I don't actually believe there is a human on earth that could stand to watch all the first run WWE content every week. That they have pre and post shows for everything now is mind boggling.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Monkeycheese posted:

that, and having an eternity of tv/network time to fill every week. I don't actually believe there is a human on earth that could stand to watch all the first run WWE content every week. That they have pre and post shows for everything now is mind boggling.

Especially on ppv weeks. jesus.

3 hours of raw + half hour preshow = 3.5 hours
2 hours of smackdown + half hour preshow + half hour talking smack = 3 hours
205 live = 1 hour
nxt = 1 hour
ppv + hour pre show = 4 hours

whole goddamn weeks is 12.5 hours of poo poo to watch

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Other than Vampiro and other in-ring talent, is there any notable employee overlap between Wrestling Society X and Lucha Underground? Producers, writers, etc.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Gavok posted:

Other than Vampiro and other in-ring talent, is there any notable employee overlap between Wrestling Society X and Lucha Underground? Producers, writers, etc.

In Ring Talent (Because I want to list them all anyway)

Vampiro
Ricky Banderas (Mil Muertes)
Jack Evans
Matt Cross (Son of Havoc)
Joey Ryan

I just learned that TJ Perkins was in WSX Lmao

No Producers or Writers that I can find on IMDB or Wiki though

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Platypus Farm posted:

whole goddamn weeks is 12.5 hours of poo poo to watch
Idunno, man, that's only like 7.5% of your life spent watching WWE programming.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

What was the perfect v garvin match on? Was it on like prime time wrestling or something?

House show match from Nashville , I believe.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Was I the only kid who thought that the ref you could bump in WWF Royal Rumble was modeled after Garvin?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Its a bit late but if you want streetfights then see if you can track down the RAW from 5/10/1999. One night only, Cactus Jack in a 2 on 1.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

My favorite Street Fight they've done is the Cena vs Eddie Guerrero Parking Lot Brawl from 2003 Smackdown. The Flair vs Vince one from the Royal Rumble (2002 i think) is fun too, but not as good objectively.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

AJ Styles seems incapable of having bad matches. But is he? What are some of AJ Styles's worst televised matches (if there are any really bad ones)?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

projecthalaxy posted:

My favorite Street Fight they've done is the Cena vs Eddie Guerrero Parking Lot Brawl from 2003 Smackdown. The Flair vs Vince one from the Royal Rumble (2002 i think) is fun too, but not as good objectively.

Flair-Vince is the last match where Flair looks and moves around like Flair

He aged terribly soon after

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

extradite THIS! posted:

AJ Styles seems incapable of having bad matches. But is he? What are some of AJ Styles's worst televised matches (if there are any really bad ones)?

The I Quit match with Daniels

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

Flair-Vince is the last match where Flair looks and moves around like Flair

He aged terribly soon after
Vince used his lich powers on him.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Was I the only kid who thought that the ref you could bump in WWF Royal Rumble was modeled after Garvin?

I feel like the ref sprites changes between games and which console you played it on. I did greatly enjoy how those games would let you straight up run into the ref or punch him in the face to knock him out, even to the point where the ref would just leave the ring and not come back in WWF Raw.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Maybe this is a stupid question and maybe this has been discussed before, but if my boy D-Bry never signed with WWE he'd probably be paralyzed/dead by now, right? Did Vince McMahon save Daniel Bryan's life?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

AlLamonaca posted:

Maybe this is a stupid question and maybe this has been discussed before, but if my boy D-Bry never signed with WWE he'd probably be paralyzed/dead by now, right? Did Vince McMahon save Daniel Bryan's life?

My guess is Bryan would still be wrestling, but things would be much, much worse for his long-term health than they likely will now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Looking back at the history of professional wrestling, are there many pro wrestlers who you could put in a ring with, for example, a judo guy and they'd be able to go all Ad Santel on them and win legitimately? I guess what I'm curious about is which pro wrestlers are historically (and currently) considered to be the best legitimate fighters; I've been reading a bit about the early days of pro wrestling recently and was struck by how a big reason why the Gold Dust Trio were able to establish their stranglehold on the business in its early days was because Ed Lewis was legitimately skilled enough that he could beat anyone who wouldn't follow the script.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

extradite THIS! posted:

Aj vs Rhyno in a Elevation X match. But you can hardly blame either of them for it when they had to wrestle on a lovely scaffold that looked like it was going to collapse and kill both men at any second.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking back at the history of professional wrestling, are there many pro wrestlers who you could put in a ring with, for example, a judo guy and they'd be able to go all Ad Santel on them and win legitimately? I guess what I'm curious about is which pro wrestlers are historically (and currently) considered to be the best legitimate fighters; I've been reading a bit about the early days of pro wrestling recently and was struck by how a big reason why the Gold Dust Trio were able to establish their stranglehold on the business in its early days was because Ed Lewis was legitimately skilled enough that he could beat anyone who wouldn't follow the script.

Meng.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

AlLamonaca posted:

the real lesson we can learn from daniel bryan is that most of the roster probably wouldn't be able to pass the test that finally retired him

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oatgan posted:

the real lesson we can learn from daniel bryan is that most of the roster probably wouldn't be able to pass the test that finally retired him

Also that Roman sucks

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

Also that Roman sucks

D-

see me after class

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

Also that Roman sucks

oatgan posted:

D-

see me after class

I agree. Roman does suck D-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

The folks that immediately come to mind are Shibata and Lesnar, seeing as they've both had great MMA careers and they could both legitimately kill someone. Other than that, afaik the New Japan dojo generally trains folks to be able to withstand shoot fighters and all that. Think there was a story about these MMA folks coming to the dojo to prove that they weren't proper fighters or whatever, only to find that the NJ dojo folks were actually really loving tough and fought them off surprisingly well. Not sure if that's just bullshit, but that's what I heard.