Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I'm just impressed that mummy pig rocks a bikini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up
We primarily use Netflix for TV viewing, so Sarah and Duck and Puffin Rock are the favorites in our house. I recommend both for toddler viewing.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
Hey Duggee is my favourite, let alone my kids! Peppa Pig gets right on my wick, my son used to really love it though

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?
What's the general consensus on Peg + Cat? I greatly enjoy Ray Romano cat, but dislike how Peg is literally yelling all the time.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What car seats do people like for > 30 lbs? Our daughter will likely outgrow her KeyFit 30 soon. Before I knew that rear-facing as long as possible is the current advice, I bought a Graco Nautilus. In addition to it being front-facing, it also looks like it would be difficult to switch between cars, which we would like to be able to do, since currently I drop her off at daycare and my wife picks her up.

So, rear-facing, and easy to swap between cars would be our two biggest factors.

As an addendum, any ideas on where to donate a never-used carseat?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I bought a britax with the clicktight system specifically for ease of install between two cars. This is using the seatbelt install though. Not the latch installation method. It's served me well. Don't especially love the seat otherwise. The biggest annoyance may be the hole where you reach in to change the belt tightness is always full of cheerios and crackers.

For a seat I don't move, I prefer my son's Diono for that. It takes up a lot of room rear facing though, even with the angle adapter thing.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

hooah posted:

What car seats do people like for > 30 lbs? Our daughter will likely outgrow her KeyFit 30 soon. Before I knew that rear-facing as long as possible is the current advice, I bought a Graco Nautilus. In addition to it being front-facing, it also looks like it would be difficult to switch between cars, which we would like to be able to do, since currently I drop her off at daycare and my wife picks her up.

So, rear-facing, and easy to swap between cars would be our two biggest factors.

As an addendum, any ideas on where to donate a never-used carseat?

It depends on your budget, child, car, etc.

I recently switched to the Graco Size for Me 65. If you aren't picky about color you can get it for as low as $140 on amazon. It has a lot of the features of the more expensive carseats and can rear face up to 40 lbs with no chance of outgrowing it based on height before reaching that weight (very important if you have a freakishly tall kid like me). It is fairly light and easy to switch between cars. It has the push button latches that are super easy and quick to undo. It also takes up less space front to back so would be good in more cars. My kiddo loves this seat. It is super easy to use.

Car seats that rear-face to 50lbs just came out. The Graco Extend to Fit will work for that and comes recommended. I believe it takes more space front to back and can extend to give more leg room. I believe it is otherwise similar in features to the size for me.

If money isn't an issue, my inlaws have the Chicco NextFit and find it easy to install. Not sure how heavy it is to haul around. I will say that my kiddo's legs are a bit squished in the nextfit if that matters to you. Prior to the graco, i had the Safety 1st complete air+ which is also good for extended rear-facing, but it was a very large seat and I wouldn't want to carry it around.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I would really advise getting a seat for each car. Having to install & uninstall a seat at every drop-off & pickup is going to become a major pain in the rear end very quickly.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I bitch about the nextfit mainly because I have to haul it to grandparent cars since no one will ever buy one for their car. And in my car (2012 Ford Focus) it's a pain to install because it's a small backseat. Great car seat other than those issues (which may not be issues for you). I have a click tight britax marathon in my husband's car and it is excellent as well in seatbelt mode.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Those are good points. I mean, for the price of the nextfit you could get two of the graco's and not have to worry about switching at all.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

WTF BEES posted:

What's the general consensus on Peg + Cat? I greatly enjoy Ray Romano cat, but dislike how Peg is literally yelling all the time.

I really like the art direction of Peg + Cat. The screaming all the time is why I can't stand Dora.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I really can't stand peg + cat because of peg wigging out all the drat time. It really gets on my nerves. Thankfully my kid was never interested in it very much.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

Tom Swift Jr. posted:

Those are good points. I mean, for the price of the nextfit you could get two of the graco's and not have to worry about switching at all.

Also a good point. I only bought the Britax, as my mom got me the Nextfit as a present. If I would do it again, I would get the Britax for both due to the size of my backseat and how more portable it is. If you have the money or a captain's chair style backseat in your car - the Nextfit would be excellent if you planned to put it in and not move it.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Awww...we love Peg+Cat. My first impression of it wasn't good, but then the kiddo got into it and after watching awhile I love it. I love that Peg freaks out and cat reminds her to calm down. That's a hard skill for kids to learn and the repetitiveness gives them more practice with the concept. I love the creative ways that it teaches math concepts and social skills. It's fun and entertaining and I'd rather watch it than any of the other shows out there. Also, the music is great and encouraging.

The potty episode just saved us. Anders was having trouble actually peeing on the potty (he's had the process down for a year). He never fully relaxed enough for anything to happen. The episode features waiting for the pee to come as an important step. He watched that on the tablet while trying and it finally clicked and he went and has been doing great since!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Sigh. Just sat down and was gonna watch some youtube or something... and Daniel comes up to me with his mouth and hand full with something brown and exclaims "cookies!" and runs away... I rush to the kitchen and the freshly baked brownie that's been cooling has a roughly scooped out center.

Also shopping last time was interesting, we found a twin car-cart so the kids could sit and "drive" at floor level. For some reason the store put a bunch of chips outside the snacks area and we try to speed past but no David's seen them, he throws himself bodily out the side like an action movie scene where the protagonist is thrown from a car, lands flat on his face and scrambles up and runs towards the chips. Kid's crazy about potato chips.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Cartoon chat: my kids used to be obsessed with Disney Jr and now we've moved onto Nick. I try to keep the crap shows to a minimum and focus on the good stuff! And yes, I know I overthink this stuff.

Bubble Guppies can put me in a rage, like when they stargaze...underwater. Or wear scuba suits to go diving...and they're already underwater. Or wear snorkels or lifejackets...underwater. or the latest promo when the Bubble Guppies wear raincoats and umbrellas and talk about rain...The basic madness drives me nuts, I frequently post screenshots on Facebook to share with those previously unexposed to the insanity. My hatred for this show is unhealthy, I know.

Peppa Pig is awesome, though Nick Jr runs it in 2 hour blocks and I swear I've seen the same episodes each and every day. I love Mrs. Rabbit. Who runs the world? Mrs. Rabbit does.

I have been known to put on Ben & Holly after my kids go to bed and enjoy it as background noise. Nanny Plum and the Wise Old Elf are awesome.

Hey Duggee hits me right in the feelings. Such a goofy, fun show I also watch when my kids are in bed.

My son loves Shimmer & Shine, but its a pretty dumb show with very little redeeming qualities so I try to put on another Ben & Holly if I have one on the DVR. Same for most of the other shows, though Wallykazam is decent. I dread the day when my kids develop a love for terrible kids sitcoms like Fuller House or any of the Disney Channel crap. I'm hoping I can slip in shows like Pinky & The Brain and Animaniacs to foster their appreciation of dry humor and quality entertainment.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
You need to back da gently caress off Bubble Guppies. That show has the best songs of any kids show by a far shot.

You know what has crappy songs? Daniel Tiger. Dear God that's the worst. I kept hearing day in and day out about how great it is and, I'm sure I'm in the minority, but they blow.

It's like "hey lets sing part of a sentence and auto-tune it!" THAT'S NOT A SONG!

yes I know that's probably best for kids that are trying to learn whatever the singing half sentence is trying to tell them... shutupleavemealone.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
We have a problem with our two-year old. He is absolutely attached and devoted to mommy. There are times when my wife's not around that he just spontaneously gets upset and wants to be with her. Putting him to bed is an absolute nightmare because he will just scream and cry for mommy until either she shows up (and he wants to crawl all over her) or he cries himself to sleep in his room.

My guess is that it's because we went through a super stressful time switching houses when he was about 1 and a half, and we never really got a good chance to sleep train him, and he ended up attached to mommy because I was always dealing with his older sister.

The most difficult part is that in the middle of the night, if he wakes up (which is almost every night), he will come into our room and crawl into bed with us. I'm a sound enough sleeper that I don't notice it until it's time for me to wake up, and I have his little legs kicking my back (the times when I have woken up, I've been able to carry him back to his room and wait for him to fall asleep), which is not pleasant, especially when I'd rather cuddle my wife.

However, my wife is pregnant and due in April, which means this has to stop before then. If it weren't for the pregnancy, I'd be aware he'd grow out of it sooner or later, but because of the pregnancy, it needs to be sooner.

I'm at my wit's end. Any suggestions on how to 1) make my son not be super dependent on mommy all the god damned time 2) actually go to bed without crying himself to sleep and 3) not crawl into bed with mommy every night?

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Sigh. Just sat down and was gonna watch some youtube or something... and Daniel comes up to me with his mouth and hand full with something brown and exclaims "cookies!" and runs away... I rush to the kitchen and the freshly baked brownie that's been cooling has a roughly scooped out center.

Your stories are my favorite, mostly because they remind me of my boys, except mine are two years apart. We finally just barred them from the kitchen entirely, unless we're doing some sort of activity in there.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

You gotta admit though, of all the brown goop your kid could have all over hands/mouth, fresh brownie is probably the best possible outcome!

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

cailleask posted:

You gotta admit though, of all the brown goop your kid could have all over hands/mouth, fresh brownie is probably the best possible outcome!

I was expecting gooey cat poop. That's been my experience.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Axiem posted:

I'm at my wit's end. Any suggestions on how to 1) make my son not be super dependent on mommy all the god damned time 2) actually go to bed without crying himself to sleep and 3) not crawl into bed with mommy every night?

We had issues with our son wanting to sleep in our room and not in his own room when he was about that age. We broke down and bought a portable toddler cot and got him to at least sleep on that instead of our bed. I can't get any sleep if he's in our bed because of his kicking feet all night. He eventually transitioned into sleeping in his own room without problems, but we still keep the cot in our room just in case.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

BonoMan posted:

It's like "hey lets sing part of a sentence and auto-tune it!" THAT'S NOT A SONG!

I was so freaked out when we happened to put on an English language episode on youtube. I thought the Norwegian version was annoying, but at least it's not autotuned, the kids (and adults) voicing the characters are just singing normally.

I wish there was a way to tell if we broke our kid or if she's just 3.5 years old and supposed to act this way. I'm getting paranoid that we've raised her wrong somehow and now she'll spend the rest of her life calling everyone stupid and busting out fake tears every time life does her the slightest injustice.

My favourite from today was: "Nooo, you have to put the drawing I made for daddy in your bag!" I start doing it, and she shouts: "NOOO DON'T FOLD IT!!" I explain that it won't fit in my bag unless I fold it, and offer the choice of folding the drawing or leaving it in the kindergarten until tomorrow, so dad can put it in his big bag and bring it home without folding it. She chooses fold the drawing. I fold the drawing. "NOOOOO YOU RUINED MY DRAWING YOU FOLDED IT AND NOW IT'S BROKEN WAAAAAAAAAAAH ooh, hi *smiles brightly at random kindergarten employee walking by*, I'm bringing this drawing I made home for my dad! ok, bye! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!"

Like a tiny Jekyll and Hyde!

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe

Sockmuppet posted:

I wish there was a way to tell if we broke our kid or if she's just 3.5 years old and supposed to act this way. I'm getting paranoid that we've raised her wrong somehow and now she'll spend the rest of her life calling everyone stupid and busting out fake tears every time life does her the slightest injustice.

Pretty sure we've both destroyed our children beyond hope then, as my 3.5 year old is doing the exact same things. Serenity now!

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
We're into Daniel Tiger here but mostly for the Mr Rogers nostalgia. We also like Peg & Cat, Nature Cat and Sesame Street. However the rest of the HBO morning schedule goes from weird to crap. Pinky Dinky Do makes me want to shoot myself or the TV, and Slightly Curious is... isn't know what it is other than total poo poo. We usually end up just running Sesame Street through on demand.

I hate Elmo and his dumb fake giggles after every single line.

topenga
Jul 1, 2003
I just saw this on CNN and thought you guys might be interested:

"New peanut allergy prevention guidelines start in infancy"
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/health/peanuts-allergy-prevention-guidelines/index.html

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

topenga posted:

I just saw this on CNN and thought you guys might be interested:

"New peanut allergy prevention guidelines start in infancy"
http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/05/health/peanuts-allergy-prevention-guidelines/index.html

My mom mentioned that yesterday. Honestly, I expect to find out 6 months later that they were wrong because there was possibly no validation test done.

Unless there's been some huge upswing in peanut allergies, it's like the flip-flop of "Coffee is bad for you. Coffee cures cancer now."

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

My mom mentioned that yesterday. Honestly, I expect to find out 6 months later that they were wrong because there was possibly no validation test done.

Unless there's been some huge upswing in peanut allergies, it's like the flip-flop of "Coffee is bad for you. Coffee cures cancer now."

Well this coming from NIAID adds a certain credibility, and the CBS story on this topic mentions a CDC study showing a three-fold increase in peanut allergy from 1997 to 2010, so I would probably consider that a huge upswing even if the absolute percentages of affliction only went from .4% to 1.4%.

Certainly made me think about doing this in a few months when my little one hits 6 months. The LEAP study maintains that this early introduction could reduce peanut allergy development by 70% which sound pretty spectacular to me.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, while we're on the topic of kids shows, what in the absolute hell happened to Sesame Street? There's a dedicated Elmo segment now in which he sings one word songs to the tune of "Jingle Bells." Just one word. Snow snow snow, snow snow snow, snow snow snow snow snow. It's drivel. It's strange because the rest of the show still seems normal enough, but then Elmo comes on and everything goes full retard. I don't even remember Elmo being on the show when I was a kid, it was all about that Big Bird.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Irritated Goat posted:

There has been a huge upswing in peanut allergies since the recommendation not to give kids peanuts early some years ago.

the good fax machine posted:

Hey, while we're on the topic of kids shows, what in the absolute hell happened to Sesame Street? There's a dedicated Elmo segment now in which he sings one word songs to the tune of "Jingle Bells." Just one word. Snow snow snow, snow snow snow, snow snow snow snow snow. It's drivel. It's strange because the rest of the show still seems normal enough, but then Elmo comes on and everything goes full retard. I don't even remember Elmo being on the show when I was a kid, it was all about that Big Bird.

Elmo is now the number 1 Sesame Street guy

He's very much for very little kids so learning one word isn't crazy at all - the way he talks and acts on the shows he's in is essentially a toddler proxy

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Irritated Goat posted:

These guidelines have been in place by the AAAAI for a few years now. (http://www.aaaai.org/practice-resources/Statements-and-Practice-Parameters/Practice-parameters-and-other-guidelines-page) It's generally accepted that early exposure to allergens decrease the chances for allergies in medical science. There was even a study which used increasing doses of miniscule amounts of peanut protein in order to increase tolerance.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

the good fax machine posted:

My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, so I've been lurking this thread. I am dedicated to doing my best to keep them in an Elmo-free existence.

I really loathe modern TV programs for toddlers. I have very young brother-in-law who was raised on some show that had a bunch of anthropomorphic crayons spouting nonsense sounds for half an hour. The problem is he kept watching it until he was like five.

Like, I recall watching The Elephant Show, Pinwheel, Fraggle Rock, etc. when I was threeish. Still simple, but at least with coherent speech, songs, and plot. Before that, my mom apparently might plop me down in front of MTV (back when it was like 95℅ music) or a pile of blocks. I don't get why dedicated young toddler programming is even a thing. Is it just an elaborate pacifier or something?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Mental crack

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
The current crop of Henson shows turn me off. The few episodes of Sesame Street I've seen haven't impressed, but Sid the Science Kid and the new show Splash and Bubbles really irritate me. The actual topics are ok ("here's how things spoil/rot") but something about the writing drips with self-importance as in, "We're heirs of Jim Henson therefore what we're doing is automatically COOL, and AWESOME!" Like the Sid routine of singing a "hip" song with his mother on the way to school and with his friends when he gets there. Or the promos for Splash and Bubbles where one fish wants to keep drawing in the sand, the others don't, but the one fish basically insists that they keep doing it because that's what he wants to do. I haven't seen the actual episode so I don't know if it ends with the fish learning a lesson about sharing time and doing what others want to do too, but the way the promo ends is kind of infuriating.

I don't get any of that vibe from any other PBS show. Luckily given our schedule I don't really watch the Henson shows.

Everything else is pretty good though, my favorite being Odd Squad followed by Peg + Cat, Word Girl, Curious George, Daniel Tiger, and Wild Kratts. Occasionally we'll wander into Thomas the Train, Dinosaur Train, and Arthur which are all pretty decent.

I can only imagine the hell my sister went through 10-15 years ago with her kids and Barney and Teletubbies.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

We watched Yo Gabba Gabba with our kids. But mainly for us adults to be honest.

I also love Sarah and Duck on CBeebies.

Tom Swift Jr.
Nov 4, 2008

Amazon has some great original kids programming. Stinky and Dirty, Tumble Leaf, and Creative Galaxy are all great. Otherwise we stick to PBS and some of the older Nick Jr. shows that are available on Amazon Prime. Sadly, his favorite thing is clicking around youtube, which bothers me because the content is not that great. Right now with potty training it is his ultimate reward though. Speaking of which, we've been making great progress with potty training. He's not independent as yet (i.e. taking himself to the potty when he needs to go), but he has had zero wet accidents this week and only 2 bm accidents. Not bad for week 2! Although the method we used didn't give us the results advertised, it did give us a really good jumpstart I figured our kid was too stubborn to have the magic 4 hours and trained thing work, but I'm happy we did the method because it did get him from not caring if he wet his underwear to being all about dry underwear which is something I couldn't get him to buy into for a long time. Here's the book if anyone's interested https://www.amazon.com/Toilet-Training-Less-Than-Day/dp/0671693808/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1483741374&sr=8-2&keywords=potty+train+in+day
We modified to add potty episodes of Peg+Cat, Daniel Tiger, and Bear in the Big Blue House to our potty talk time.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

LogisticEarth posted:

My wife and I are expecting our first child in a few months, so I've been lurking this thread. I am dedicated to doing my best to keep them in an Elmo-free existence.

Elmo isn't bad, and you'd be missing all the top-notch Sesame Street parodies that entertain even the fussiest parents. You need to watch out for Caillou. I loving hate that little kid. And his whole goddamn family.

So. Much. Whining!
:argh:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Dumb question and I'm sure my google results tell me the unfortunate news but:

If I have been gifted the BluRay/DVD combo of a Disney/Pixar movie (Brave and the old Cinderella) but it DOESN'T have the digital version... I'm guessing there's no way to upconvert it through Disney? Much like you can with the Vudu/UV program for older DVDs?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Bono - if you have a dvd/bluray, that is a digital copy. Rip it via handbrake or any equivalent(free app) and be able to play it back forever. I don't know if Disney will honor it but this is basically what modern tech is for. UV and Vudu are like asking to pay double for what you were gifted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Bono - if you have a dvd/bluray, that is a digital copy. Rip it via handbrake or any equivalent(free app) and be able to play it back forever. I don't know if Disney will honor it but this is basically what modern tech is for. UV and Vudu are like asking to pay double for what you were gifted.

Thanks but I was looking for a streaming option for home that would tie into Google play account (like Disney movies anywhere) so we could centralize our already large library that we Chromecast. I definitely don't want to pay double but I'd pay a few bucks for the ability to convert it to my streaming library.

Which you can do with pretty much anything other than Disney movies. Womp womp.