Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
At least Peebee isn't wearing a skintight suit. I like the coat+powerlifting belt tightened all the way up.

Also did anyone notice that she has tech skills and not biotic. She probably does it to be more random. She was tricked into going to the expedition by her sisters where so sick of her drat poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Honestly I feel Sera could have been okay if they toned down the randomness. She'd still be annoying as hell because she has some really dumb views, but I think in a more intended way than she was.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How do they explain getting Tali into the game as a squad mate?

Seems a stretch .

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

How do they explain getting Tali into the game as a squad mate?

Seems a stretch .

Pretty easy to explain bioware having a hard time creating another good quarian character that's not one dimensional and just saying gently caress it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Wait, Tali's in the game? Why do you think that? Or is it just another quarian with the same accent named 'Mali' or something?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Tali not in the game

Which is one reason I will never play it.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If there's one alien race that should be the most interested in doing frontier type stuff it would be quarians.

Let's hope they find enough stock photos to create them.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

euphronius posted:

Tali not in the game

Which is one reason I will never play it.

desperate for quarian sweat?

I am going to pal around with PB on principle just because of this thread

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr. Abysmal posted:

They couldn't think of a way to make them look feminine beyond giving them breasts

In Bioware's defense, the quote that originated from is often taken way out of context. The artist was describing the challenge of how you depict masculine/feminine features for alien species in a way that makes sense to the player. The "what are we gonna do, put breasts on it" line in this context was acknowledging how absurd that would be.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ - and then they do (at least they made the crest on their head a little smaller or whatever. More like the Asari).

Who do you guys/gals think is gonna have huge camel toe in this one? One of th e rock aliens? Be like loving a literal clam, maybe.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 5, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gorelab posted:

Honestly I feel Sera could have been okay if they toned down the randomness. She'd still be annoying as hell because she has some really dumb views, but I think in a more intended way than she was.

no you don't get it i have to steal their knickers and throw bees everywhere lol!!!!!!!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

In Bioware's defense, the quote that originated from is often taken way out of context. The artist was describing the challenge of how you depict masculine/feminine features for alien species in a way that makes sense to the player. The "what are we gonna do, put breasts on it" line in this context was acknowledging how absurd that would be.

I always thought this was overthinking it myself. If Thomas Was Alone can manage to make coloured rectangles believably gendered characters by having a narrator use words like "she" or "him" then you can probably do that for animated characters with a voiced personality. I guess it helped that Thomas used traditionally English-sounding names as well but, again, coloured rectangles. If the characters in the game acknowledge someone that looks distinctly non-human as a "she" or a "he" enough times (or whatever other genders may exist in a galaxy) then most people are just going to accept that no matter what.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
The main appeal of this game for me going in is the multiplayer so I'm convinced I'll get my monies worth. If the single player campaign turns out entertaining it will be a bonus.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Excelsiortothemax posted:

It's a whole new galaxy. Let your freak flag fly and guzzle down 8 testicles of space chicken lizard jizz.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Trast posted:

The main appeal of this game for me going in is the multiplayer so I'm convinced I'll get my monies worth. If the single player campaign turns out entertaining it will be a bonus.

They did a great job on ME3s MP even if it was just a glorified horde mode. Plus all the dlc was free.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

True. I never cared for inquisition. I like some of the characters and ideas but it's to much quantity over quality and it was mostly boring and tedious filler with meh combat.

Same, at first I really dug it but I think at that point I was so starved for a new RPG that even a mediocre game like Inquisition seemed awesome. Shortly after Witcher 3 came out and I dropped Inquisition completely. It's not necessarily a bad game but they never captured what made Dragon Age 1 good which was challenging and deep combat in the vein of old school RPGs. Inquisitions combat felt inconsequential or like you were standing on the sidelines just watching.

I think we are quickly approaching Obsidian RPGs just turning into full blown dating simulators, it's increasingly becoming more of the focus with people legit getting angry if they can't e-bang some alien blob.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

nerdz posted:

At least Peebee isn't wearing a skintight suit. I like the coat+powerlifting belt tightened all the way up.

Also did anyone notice that she has tech skills and not biotic. She probably does it to be more random. She was tricked into going to the expedition by her sisters where so sick of her drat poo poo.

I like that she doesn't look so weird when actually in game compared to that portrait that seems to accompany anything related to the game.

Edit: that said, she may not be wearing a skintight suit, but if you look carefully, her coat isn't closed all the way and she's got an exposed midriff. :bioware:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Popete posted:

I think we are quickly approaching Obsidian RPGs just turning into full blown dating simulators, it's increasingly becoming more of the focus with people legit getting angry if they can't e-bang some alien blob.

Obsidian isn't Bioware

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I'm going to protest this game by not having sex with any aliens until Bioware issues a formal apology for the ME3 ending.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Obsidian isn't Bioware

Whoops!

:dice:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

We really do need a :bioware:

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Popete posted:

Same, at first I really dug it but I think at that point I was so starved for a new RPG that even a mediocre game like Inquisition seemed awesome. Shortly after Witcher 3 came out and I dropped Inquisition completely. It's not necessarily a bad game but they never captured what made Dragon Age 1 good which was challenging and deep combat in the vein of old school RPGs. Inquisitions combat felt inconsequential or like you were standing on the sidelines just watching.

For me, any sort of action based RPG combat system isn't going to be anything more than "okay." This doesn't mean they're bad, just not my style. Witcher 3 combat and Inquisition combat are both therefore uninteresting to me and Souls likes have zero appeal to me. With that said, I'll still play an action focused RPG if it has a great story, sense of exploration and character development. I'm concerned about Bioware's ability to deliver on those fronts though.

Beyond quibbles about the ending, what disappointed me about Mass Effect 3 is that the game felt like it was rushing you from combat encounter to combat encounter. The previous games had hubs and locations where you mainly walked around talking to other people, getting a peek at the fictional universe. Mass Effect 3 still has the Citadel, but even there you pick up side quests by overhearing 2-3 snippets of dialog. Dragon Age Inquisition had plently of exploration, but it was size for size's sake.

I am really concerned about the dialog wheel. I didn't like it in the first Mass Effect, so its not something new. I hate that it constrains your character into one of specific set paths. In a game with a more developed dialog tree, the developers can write dialog based on the specific format; the dialog wheel makes it feel like they have to develop lines for each template, whether or not they make sense, and its also constricting.

I really hope Andromeda is a game that allows you to breathe and focus on exploration without becoming a trinket collection quest. I hope it has well developed side quests and a reactive plot. That's what I love about RPGs, and Bioware has been pretty hit or miss about it.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Eastbound Spider posted:

We really do need a :bioware:

I thought we already had one: :liara:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
The whole dating thing is the most annoying thing about bioware games.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Popete posted:

The biggest things I think that made Inquisition something I didn't complete I think were all fixed in Witcher 3 so I largely agree. Inquisition suffered I think for being too big and having too much of that bigness being flavorless filler and made it hard to tell which side stuff was neat and which was just filler. Furthermore the combat wasn't good enough to just murder poo poo just because.

Witcher 3 had a lot more flavor in the side quests and actually labeled them. Most of the stuff that was boring side quests in DA:I are literally map markers so you can actually search out the more story-y stuff on your own. Also the combat in Witcher 3 while not amazing is more fluid and fun than DA:I's which makes wandering more fun.

I think ME could deal with a DA:I style of game better, just because the basics of combat are more fun in ME than in the DA:I style of action RPG. The main thing would be actually making sure that cool side stuff isn't hard to find and the mako goes fast enough that you aren't trudging all over.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
So wait, can you only slot three active skills at a time?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't date in my games and they work fine. More stamina and better aim during missions.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

There are some in 3. They are basically skinnier.

Isn't that just in Citadel DLC because they finally made a model for them for Omega?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Ferrinus posted:

Yep. Looks like there's three passives per tree this time though.
Also the flamethrower evolutions make it look like they're going for more non-damage-focused power options this time- with radius+blinding heat you could really cut down on the damage from a big group of enemies.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jan 5, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Inquisition was a pretty below average game that seems like it broke a lot of internet people's brain and made them play in the least fun way possible.

Like I get that if a game has a map marker there is a part of any gamer that wants to run to it, but people were bragging about being 40 hours in and still in the hinterland and people were just making the game a nightmare for themselves.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Popete posted:

I'm not convinced there's any consequence to people's supposed dating-sim anger. It's a very easy way for developers to add "choices" that don't affect the story, so it gets thrown into every game, regardless of whether story-impacting choices make it in or not. Sure, someone is going to complain that they can't dote up a hanar, but the game stands or falls on the actual story's merits, and it's not like fans of Bioware-style RPGs have many other games to scratch that itch.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Inquisition was a pretty below average game that seems like it broke a lot of internet people's brain and made them play in the least fun way possible.

Like I get that if a game has a map marker there is a part of any gamer that wants to run to it, but people were bragging about being 40 hours in and still in the hinterland and people were just making the game a nightmare for themselves.

It doesn't help that Dragon Age 1 had at least one moment that cuts off old quests, so you never know if you have to play every side quest obsessively before doing the main story, or if it won't matter.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Yep. Looks like there's three passives per tree this time though.

This is horseshit! Even DAI's eight actives felt constrictive towards the middle or end of the game.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It doesn't help that Dragon Age 1 had at least one moment that cuts off old quests, so you never know if you have to play every side quest obsessively before doing the main story, or if it won't matter.

Yeah, it's not like dragon age inquisition turns into an amazing game if you play it right, it's still pretty meh even if you play correctly but it was just really baffling to see the huge number of people doing the weird "I'm avoiding the main quest!" skyrim thing and bragging about grinding for dozens of hours on nothing in the hinterlands. It was such a miserable way to play that game.

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Excelsiortothemax posted:

I hope you can gently caress a Krogan. You can stick your space dick in drat near everything else and banging all the 'pretty races' gets old fast.

It's a whole new galaxy. Let your freak flag fly and guzzle down 8 testicles of space chicken lizard jizz.

you need to stop watching so much anime dude

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

prometheusbound2 posted:

I am really concerned about the dialog wheel. I didn't like it in the first Mass Effect, so its not something new. I hate that it constrains your character into one of specific set paths. In a game with a more developed dialog tree, the developers can write dialog based on the specific format; the dialog wheel makes it feel like they have to develop lines for each template, whether or not they make sense, and its also constricting.

I really hope Andromeda is a game that allows you to breathe and focus on exploration without becoming a trinket collection quest. I hope it has well developed side quests and a reactive plot. That's what I love about RPGs, and Bioware has been pretty hit or miss about it.

A minor quibble, the dialog wheel is a result of the linear dialog, not a cause. The cause is that it costs money to pay voice actors, so as long as you have fully voiced conversations, branching pathways aren't feasible for most RPGs. The dialog wheel is simply a UI that attempts to allow conversations to flow as effortlessly and as unobtrusively as possible. It uses up less of the screen than simply having a list of things to say, which your character will then say anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

You also have your squadmates, and it appears that you can respec the active slots at any time.

It looks like they're making it so you can change your class/skills to suit your needs for encounters or to just mix up the gameplay.

This also isn't Dragon Age combat, where you have to rely on skills. It's a shooter, and your skills work alongside that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The worst thing about this game is that I want to play it but I'm probably also going to want to play the multiplayer constantly.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, it's not like dragon age inquisition turns into an amazing game if you play it right, it's still pretty meh even if you play correctly but it was just really baffling to see the huge number of people doing the weird "I'm avoiding the main quest!" skyrim thing and bragging about grinding for dozens of hours on nothing in the hinterlands. It was such a miserable way to play that game.

It wasn't helped by the hinterlands being terribly tuned for a single 100% run. It was clearly balanced around the assumption that the Inquisitor would go to storm coast and a few other places to level before coming back.

Didn't do that? Well gently caress you, this section is going to kill you repeatedly until you leave and level elsewhere.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

DancingShade posted:

It wasn't helped by the hinterlands being terribly tuned for a single 100% run. It was clearly balanced around the assumption that the Inquisitor would go to storm coast and a few other places to level before coming back.

Didn't do that? Well gently caress you, this section is going to kill you repeatedly until you leave and level elsewhere.

The game was balanced around doing some side questing as you walked around and making sure there was some side quests around at all times no matter where you went, but people decided to play it as "welp, they are forcing me to do these 4000 identical quests, better grind myself into miserable dust and 100% this" and that was just the wrong way to do that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The game was balanced around doing some side questing as you walked around and making sure there was some side quests around at all times no matter where you went, but people decided to play it as "welp, they are forcing me to do these 4000 identical quests, better grind myself into miserable dust and 100% this" and that was just the wrong way to do that game.

Honestly if they just made the MMO style stuff random points on the map rather than being labeled as quests I think a lot more people would have skipped them.