Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

:five::five::five:
:lol::lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

Is there a good moment? What time?

It's all good.

I only watched 5 minutes from linked time

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Quavers posted:

Remember back in September when game-journos Gamestar.de accidental leaked that Squadron 42 was delayed until 2017, then CIG denied the info as false, then a month later at CitizenCon the delay was confirmed, then the Forbes guy changed the title from "Delayed Indefinitely" to "Delayed Until Some Future Undefined Date" because shitizens mailbombed him?

Good times.

hehe yeah. and through it all, they were busy yelling at me for spreading FUD back when I wrote that neither Star Citizen nor SQ42 was going to see a 2016 release.

Fun times indeed.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Enchanted Hat posted:

Don't be a baby. Hunting sharks is a much cooler way of spending your time than posting about unreleased video games, no matter how you slice it.

EDIT: Atlantic cat

If you do both do they cancel each other out?

fake edit: that's a dope antifreeze fish. Reminds me of shitizens saying blood temperature and oxygen levels are going to be realistically modeled in the PU lmao

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
moved to concern

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...ven-dece#latest

Citizens are on a roll.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

If you do both do they cancel each other out?

fake edit: that's a dope antifreeze fish. Reminds me of shitizens saying blood temperature and oxygen levels are going to be realistically modeled in the PU lmao

Has CIG even implemented physically-based damage for their ships yet? Last I remember everything was basically boxes of hitpoints like any other game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen is a bad idea executed poorly, if it ever gets finished it will be one of those games that get a solid 7 / 10 because while it's poo poo CIG will spend money on ads so the sites will keep that in mind when they aren't killing sharks like goddamn cavemen seriously just get a filet of fish from mcdonalds what is wrong with you

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the reason moma has been so cranky recently is because he asked himself if maybe derek smart was right

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Thread closed forum rule 9

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Has CIG even implemented physically-based damage for their ships yet? Last I remember everything was basically boxes of hitpoints like any other game.

Not the last time I had checked, no. Remember how every ship was supposed to be made up of REAL COMPONTENTS (TM) that could get damaged and affect your ships performance? Yeah well it turns out that's hard, and it would be cheating to do it like Elite and just have "Target Thrusters" or whatever as an option so now your giant paper mache spaceship just explodes when it's hit by a preset number of space bullets (or if it touches a wall or another ship or a commando or sometimes just for no reason) because haha gently caress it games development is an ever-changing process!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Star Citizen: I feel I was tricked a bit

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Ok I watched 17 minutes, at the start Twerk17 spoke about how fun Star Marine is, he didn't seem very enthusiastic to me. Things picked up when Bored Gamer talked about depression a bit, wondering if there is anything after death.

Then they speculated when CIG would come back to work and if there would be a patch soon, then moved on to bitching about all the bugs in Star Marine for a while. That took a while.

At below time WTF is bitching about wait times to play Star Marine, I guess he doesn't understand game development. Star Marine has only just been released he'll have to wait till everyone hears how awesome it is for the player population to really increase.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jO_ieYYFfo&t=990s

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Thread closed forum rule 9

Wow. They really went after that OP. I hope he gets a refund.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mu77ley posted:

I think I triggered him. ;)

He reliably resorts to smug when his arguments fail him, which is most of the time. Sunlander is a lot weirder, I can barely read through all the capitalizations and odd ideas.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Hav posted:

Gonna admit complete ignorance on bowfishing. How does that work?

I've been bowfishing for years and have shot in every region of the United States but mostly in Texas and Louisiana.. Most states only allow you to bowfish for "trash" fish which are mostly invasive species. Texas also lets you shoot gar which are native and cool, but Bass == Big Money so the gar are shunned. Kids and most ordinary people are thrilled to see a 200# fish cruise by but enthusiast anglers loathe them. Recently Texas has been putting more restrictions on alligator gar but it's tough to enforce.

In Louisiana you are allowed to shoot any fish that is legal to catch with rod & reel but you have to observe the limits on size, weight, and quantity which is tough because with an arrow you can't just throw the fish back in if it's too small or big. So we just avoid all "normal" fish and shoot up the invasives.

Anyway, lots and lots of people in Texas have released their aquarium sucker fish into the bayous and those guys are a major problem. They are totally armored, they dig deep burrows into the banks, and if you step on one your foot is shredded. The grass carp are like nutria in the amount of vegetation they destroy. They move in like cows and totally strip any waterway they get to so the state wants them gone. The Rio Grande Perch is like a piranha that has moved further north with the warmer temperatures and I don't really know what problems they cause but the states hate them. Tilapia are sold live at the markets here and were also raised in fish farms from which they've escaped. I see tilapia destruction first hand everyday. These little pricks crowd everything out.

Finally, the big ultimate problem fish is the Asian Carp. Just do a YouTube search of jumping carp and you will see how dangerous these fish are. Anywhere they get into is ruined. They are huge and they spawn multiple times a year. They totally wreck all lakes for humans and wildlife. They just come jumping over boats nonstop and they will break your bones and cause crashes. Sometimes a bacteria will cause a carp kill and what was a normal lake last weekend will have literally thousands of pounds of dead fish floating on every bank. Plus they suck. Big efforts underway right now to keep them out of the Great Lakes.

I really liked your technical posts about databases and network voodoo.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I think this guy is trying really hard to capitalise things correctly and not use text speak but hasn't quite got the hang of it yet.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Star citizen :Marine biologists might want to check out other threads

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Star citizen :Marine biologists might want to check out other threads

Why would they want to do that when this thread is clearly about fish now?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/817096321211371520

So is their rigger named Riggs or is Sandi having a stroke?

Also isn't this like the twelfth time they've done this?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah, his animation partner is Murtaugh.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Star Marine: Paarpbow Escolar: May cause anal leakage

Someone is taking a break from art and development to focus more on office things...like office cocaine

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Richie Stardust posted:

I've been bowfishing for years and have shot in every region of the United States but mostly in Texas and Louisiana.. Most states only allow you to bowfish for "trash" fish which are mostly invasive species. Texas also lets you shoot gar which are native and cool, but Bass == Big Money so the gar are shunned. Kids and most ordinary people are thrilled to see a 200# fish cruise by but enthusiast anglers loathe them. Recently Texas has been putting more restrictions on alligator gar but it's tough to enforce.

In Louisiana you are allowed to shoot any fish that is legal to catch with rod & reel but you have to observe the limits on size, weight, and quantity which is tough because with an arrow you can't just throw the fish back in if it's too small or big. So we just avoid all "normal" fish and shoot up the invasives.

Anyway, lots and lots of people in Texas have released their aquarium sucker fish into the bayous and those guys are a major problem. They are totally armored, they dig deep burrows into the banks, and if you step on one your foot is shredded. The grass carp are like nutria in the amount of vegetation they destroy. They move in like cows and totally strip any waterway they get to so the state wants them gone. The Rio Grande Perch is like a piranha that has moved further north with the warmer temperatures and I don't really know what problems they cause but the states hate them. Tilapia are sold live at the markets here and were also raised in fish farms from which they've escaped. I see tilapia destruction first hand everyday. These little pricks crowd everything out.

Finally, the big ultimate problem fish is the Asian Carp. Just do a YouTube search of jumping carp and you will see how dangerous these fish are. Anywhere they get into is ruined. They are huge and they spawn multiple times a year. They totally wreck all lakes for humans and wildlife. They just come jumping over boats nonstop and they will break your bones and cause crashes. Sometimes a bacteria will cause a carp kill and what was a normal lake last weekend will have literally thousands of pounds of dead fish floating on every bank. Plus they suck. Big efforts underway right now to keep them out of the Great Lakes.

I really liked your technical posts about databases and network voodoo.

I think he meant mechanically... like 'how is a bow and arrow used for fishing'?

Answer: you use angling archery gear that has an adapted spinner reel on the bow and the line attaches to the arrows. Shoot essentially like a normal bow, but reel in the catch afterwards.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQs2b8KtXJ4&t=692s

Yeah.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Not the last time I had checked, no. Remember how every ship was supposed to be made up of REAL COMPONTENTS (TM) that could get damaged and affect your ships performance? Yeah well it turns out that's hard, and it would be cheating to do it like Elite and just have "Target Thrusters" or whatever as an option so now your giant paper mache spaceship just explodes when it's hit by a preset number of space bullets (or if it touches a wall or another ship or a commando or sometimes just for no reason) because haha gently caress it games development is an ever-changing process!

I remember chatting with Matt Sherman back when he was supposed to be working on that. They were going to have bullets travel through the ship and trace damage across anything that it hit. Supposedly that would be one of the advantages over lasers, which would only melt what was on the surface. Or something. I don't know it's all jumbled up in my brain and filed underneath "utter bullshit".

Beet Wagon posted:

IIRC every time they gently caress around with the animation system it also renders their mocap data even more useless.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I still find it amazing that after 4 years development CiG haven't nailed down the flight model on a spaceship game

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...to-become-great

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I remember when they had that tech demo showing a Constellation blowing up in dramatic fashion.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that has probably been shelved.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

IIRC every time they gently caress around with the animation system it also renders their mocap data even more useless.

It depends. If they're not using mocap data, it won't matter either way because, well, they're hosed regardless.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

Beet Wagon posted:

Time and date is cropped out of the shot. This picture was taken in February, probably.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I remember chatting with Matt Sherman back when he was supposed to be working on that. They were going to have bullets travel through the ship and trace damage across anything that it hit. Supposedly that would be one of the advantages over lasers, which would only melt what was on the surface. Or something. I don't know it's all jumbled up in my brain and filed underneath "utter bullshit".

Yeah they were shooting for like a WoT style system where it would track round penetration and those would damage components and crew and poo poo, but they had taken it to insane levels (because CIG) and instead of just having an inside hitbox for "engine" or "life support" or whatever, they were planning on making it possible to damage all the pipes and cables and poo poo running through every ship. Which is funny because as all those videos of people clipping through the Starfarer show, none of that poo poo actually exists. Although I suppose they could make it "exist" but just not give it a physical model to save on rendering power. Who the gently caress knows.

John Riggs, Rigger. Why is that so funny to me?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

his nibs posted:

I still find it amazing that after 4 years development CiG haven't nailed down the flight model on a spaceship game

Look man you can't finalize the flight mechanics until the assets are completely finished to a AAA quality, including several refactors to keep things fresh. Only THEN can you consider finalizing game mechanics so that your artists can refactor the ships so that they work properly.

I mean sure they could have released a flight model demo using TIE Fighter levels of graphics, given players an opportunity to really get a sense of how things should work and where stuff should go, and THEN drop the AAA assets. But that would go against Chris's vision of... stuff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

John Riggs, Rigger. Why is that so funny to me?

He comes from a long line of riggers.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm more weirded out that whoever's PC that is, they still have the utterly useless "Ask Cortana" poo poo on their taskbar, taking half of it up. On top of that, three browsers. loving learn to unpin and keep poo poo looking tidy.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Look man you can't finalize the flight mechanics until the assets are completely finished to a AAA quality, including several refactors to keep things fresh. Only THEN can you consider finalizing game mechanics so that your artists can refactor the ships so that they work properly.

I mean sure they could have released a flight model demo using TIE Fighter levels of graphics, given players an opportunity to really get a sense of how things should work and where stuff should go, and THEN drop the AAA assets. But that would go against Chris's vision of... stuff.

I guess this represents the archetypal CiG conundrum: If you tell people how something will be then half the Citizen's ~dreams~ of their particular model are screwed. Smoke and mirrors CiG, smoke and mirrors..

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah they were shooting for like a WoT style system where it would track round penetration and those would damage components and crew and poo poo, but they had taken it to insane levels (because CIG) and instead of just having an inside hitbox for "engine" or "life support" or whatever, they were planning on making it possible to damage all the pipes and cables and poo poo running through every ship. Which is funny because as all those videos of people clipping through the Starfarer show, none of that poo poo actually exists. Although I suppose they could make it "exist" but just not give it a physical model to save on rendering power. Who the gently caress knows.

Certainly not CIG, that's for sure.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

He comes from a long line of riggers.

Do they have attitude?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Xaerael posted:

I'm more weirded out that whoever's PC that is, they still have the utterly useless "Ask Cortana" poo poo on their taskbar, taking half of it up. On top of that, three browsers. loving learn to unpin and keep poo poo looking tidy.
"Cortana, what is a design document?"

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

his nibs posted:

No you see WW2 combat is perfectly feasible without gravity and drag, but we're going to have to introduce slurm to balance out thrust, and binko to cancel out lift.

You're welcome. A million dollars please.

Edit:

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah they were shooting for like a WoT style system where it would track round penetration and those would damage components and crew and poo poo, but they had taken it to insane levels (because CIG) and instead of just having an inside hitbox for "engine" or "life support" or whatever...

The thing is that it's not technically difficult to produce something that does this, but WoT also handles armor angle and thickness; I'm under the impression that Elite does a stripped down version of this, or did.

here's the war thunder x-ray view of a war jalopy;

Again, I'm a scale guy, so consider that tank 2.8km long with the same size contents. You want the crew to be hit while they're walking around the ship? Problem. Caterpillers....how many internal systems does it have? How much can it survive with? Problem.

They dump these systems when they realize that they're operating on completely different scales to tanks and planes, which don't actually vary that much. This is the kind of thing that you can brainstorm out IF your visionary isn't intent on producing the Red Baron in spaaaaaace.

Hav fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 5, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

tooterfish posted:

"Cortana, what is a design document?"

Cortana waves her hands.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Langston Hughes posted:

Audio is one of those things that you really never appreciate until there is poor design. Just imagine for a minute, limping away from a battle in your Constellation with your full crew and one of your outboard airlock doors has been blown off while your shield generator was completely destroyed. Your warning horns are chirping as the ship recognizes the multitude of damage you've sustained. "Masks on for repairs" the Captain orders, as he directs the engineer to repair the exterior damage.

All masks go on and the engineer exits through the port airlock, opening the interior door the system begins blaring loudly at first, your panel reflecting 'DEPRESSURE', quickly the sound lowers until the only thing you can hear is your own breathing and the vibration of the ships engines operating through your suit.

Oh poor commando, your dream must be deferred. Your ship can't have it's airlock doors blown off - that's coming in items 3.5. And if it could you couldn't depressurize anything, because the space isn't coming until Basic Space Game Stuff version 7.0 I'm afraid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Why would they want to do that when this thread is clearly about fish now?

I meant because MOMA is a shark killing oval office (come at me MOMA you oval office)

Thundercatte tax :

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 5, 2017