Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm also going to guess that the Thrill is from Odium.
Yep, indirectly. It has already been hinted in WoR via Taravangian's scenes and bits of the diagram that the Thrill is due to an Unmade called Nergaoul. The Unmade are splinters of Odium he left to maintain his influence over Roshar. See these pages for more details:
http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Nergaoul
http://coppermind.net/wiki/Unmade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Do you remember that one Sadeas PoV in WoR, where he recalls the time Parshendi would surrender to his forces? Inside the Thrill, he was outraged that they threw away their weapons and surrendered, depriving him of seeing the battle through. So he executed every single one of them, in view of other Parshendi that were on another plateau. That was the first and last time any Parshendi tried to surrender to Alethi forces. The Thrill is definitely of Odium.

We see a lot more of the Thrill in the Dalinar flashbacks in Oathbringer. I can only recommend buying Unfettered 2 for these Stormlight 3 chapters. For anybody who read them, did Dalinar really kill a 6 year old boy to get his shardblade?? Please tell me I'm wrong!:ohdear:

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

We see a lot more of the Thrill in the Dalinar flashbacks in Oathbringer. I can only recommend buying Unfettered 2 for these Stormlight 3 chapters. For anybody who read them, did Dalinar really kill a 6 year old boy to get his shardblade?? Please tell me I'm wrong!:ohdear:

I prefer to think that He let the kid go, and that was the shame he was talking about. Letting a high prince's heir survive could cause them problems down the line. At least I hope so.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

seaborgium posted:

I prefer to think that He let the kid go, and that was the shame he was talking about. Letting a high prince's heir survive could cause them problems down the line. At least I hope so.

Gavilar and Tanalan's men certainly seem to think Dalinar killed Tanalan and heir both. The shame was certainly about Dalinar's coveting of his brother's wife and (later) his brother's throne. This particular shame throughline is what starts Dalinar down the path to where he is in The Way of Kings. Merely killing a young boy in the Kholin war of conquest as depicted wouldn't do it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm partially expecting a scene where a shardless Dalinar kills at least one shard bearer either through some insanely devious planning, or he straight-up murders the bearer on the field of battle in single combat but without the stormlight assistance that Kaladin unknowingly had in his fight because the Blackthorn's just that good at fighting.

I imagine Dalinar has been drawing on stormlight for much (or all) of his adult life. All nascent Radiants seem to have the ability to draw on it, and it's been (fairly heavily) hinted that Dalinar has been using stormlight for a long time. At one point a surgeon examines his shoulder. It is a mess of scars and the surgeon tells him his arm should be useless, but Dalinar shrugs and indicates he just heals up after that. I suspect that he fully healed due to stormlight but kept the scars because it's how he sees himself, similar to Kaladin and the slave brand.

I suspect that, similarly to Lift and the cobbler from the WoR interludes, both Dalinar and Gavilar were either considered to become Bondsmiths or were at least starting the process to vie for the position. They were both uniting a fractious people, though they were doing it through violence and without any oaths (again, similar to Kaladin and wanting to protect people, even though he didn't quite understand the first Oath).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xenix posted:

I imagine Dalinar has been drawing on stormlight for much (or all) of his adult life. All nascent Radiants seem to have the ability to draw on it, and it's been (fairly heavily) hinted that Dalinar has been using stormlight for a long time. At one point a surgeon examines his shoulder. It is a mess of scars and the surgeon tells him his arm should be useless, but Dalinar shrugs and indicates he just heals up after that. I suspect that he fully healed due to stormlight but kept the scars because it's how he sees himself, similar to Kaladin and the slave brand.

I suspect that, similarly to Lift and the cobbler from the WoR interludes, both Dalinar and Gavilar were either considered to become Bondsmiths or were at least starting the process to vie for the position. They were both uniting a fractious people, though they were doing it through violence and without any oaths (again, similar to Kaladin and wanting to protect people, even though he didn't quite understand the first Oath).

Gavilar was apparently further along the Bondsmith path than Dalinar when he died

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So now that we can finally say that Oathbringer will be out this year, what are you looking forward to read about in Stormlight 3? Heres my list, in no particular order (I will not be referencing any of the things from Edgedancer or the already released chapters, only Way of Kings and Words of Radiance):

-Elkohar seeing Pattern
-Nightblood in action
-Shallan teaching Renarin Lightweaving
-Dalinar surgebinding. What does a Bondsmith do?
-Mraize having a hopefully illuminating conversation with Shallan. What are the Ghostblood's goals? Why is her family so involved with them? Why did Helaran search out he Skybreakers?
-Adolin coming to terms with the fact that so many people close to him are becoming Radiants
-Wacky adventures with Jasnah and Hoid!
-The Lopen glowing
-Rlain reuniting with the rebel Parshendi
-Learning more about what Taravangian is up to
-The Desolation in action
-More of Rysn

What are you looking forward to?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

So now that we can finally say that Oathbringer will be out this year, what are you looking forward to read about in Stormlight 3? Heres my list, in no particular order (I will not be referencing any of the things from Edgedancer or the already released chapters, only Way of Kings and Words of Radiance):

-Elkohar seeing Pattern
-Nightblood in action
-Mraize having a hopefully illuminating conversation with Shallan. What are the Ghostblood's goals? Why is her family so involved with them? Why did Helaran search out he Skybreakers?
-Adolin coming to terms with the fact that so many people close to him are becoming Radiants
-The Lopen glowing
-More of Rysn

- Nightblood being drawn in the presence of Stormforms. I really wanted to see Lift look at the parshmen turning in to Stormforms, and then see Szeth moving towards them right before getting her attention drawn back to Nale given that you'll have a harder time finding something more evil than something infused with power from a source like Odium.
- Some explanation of how Nightblood got in to Nale's hands since Vasher seems unlikely to just hand it over to someone else and if Nale is somehow Vasher as well then that adds a hell of a lot of other questions.
- Dalinar ripping through armies even before he's a shardbearer.
- Someone, anyone realize just what exactly Elkohar's actually saying in his paranoid rants. (Shallan or maybe Dalinar seem the most likely. Kaladin's already oblivious to it and probably would stay that way even if he saw Pattern)
- Kaladin returns home and it isn't followed by him spending dozens/hundreds of chapters being a sadsack emo teenager for the 874398th time. Or break his oath again by murdering the rear end in a top hat noble who runs the place (because you know something terrible will have happened to one/both parents).
- Szeth returns to Shin and gets the justice/revenge he wants (probably being saved for his own book though).
- Rock encounters Hoid (again) while Kaladin and others are present.
- All of the fallout from Adolin and Saedas's encounter.
- Rlain becomes a Radiant.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 4, 2017

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Torrannor posted:

-The Lopen glowing

These two are high on my list.

Evil Fluffy posted:

- Some explanation of how Nightblood got in to Nale's hands since Vasher seems unlikely to just hand it over to someone else and if Nale is somehow Vasher as well then that adds a hell of a lot of other questions.

Nale is not Vasher, that much is sure. Vasher (As Zahel) lost/gave away the blade "years" ago in his interlude, but I tend to surmise he gave it away willingly, probably directly to Nale.

Other things I hope to see at some point in Stormlight:
-What the hell is the stuff you wrap shardblades in to make them safe
-Someone getting Hoid's flute back, stupid Kal leaving it.
-Whether something Forged on Sel retains its shape elsewhere, since as far as I can tell Forging is essentially Soulcasting through a different means.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

- Some explanation of how Nightblood got in to Nale's hands since Vasher seems unlikely to just hand it over to someone else

Remember what Vasher's typical fighting style is with Nightblood?

He chucks Nightblood at the problem and runs off in the other direction. Had to backfire at some point.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

M_Gargantua posted:

-What the hell is the stuff you wrap shardblades in to make them safe

It's probably aluminum. Has similar properties on Scadrial.

Seems to be an all purpose anti-investiture material.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Fezz posted:

It's probably aluminum. Has similar properties on Scadrial.

That almost would make sense, but whatever it is is too brittle to make an anti-shard shield out of, and the material changes shape to wrap the blade edge. Aluminum changing shape I could attribute to investiture in the blades sure, but why would it be exceptionally brittle when not bonded to a blade?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

M_Gargantua posted:

That almost would make sense, but whatever it is is too brittle to make an anti-shard shield out of, and the material changes shape to wrap the blade edge. Aluminum changing shape I could attribute to investiture in the blades sure, but why would it be exceptionally brittle when not bonded to a blade?

Could be casted aluminum--that's actually kinda brittle. Pretty sure it is Al though--seem to recall a signing event question asking about it. Sanderson does love his tinfoil hats scabbards. (hats are a different series)

Plus a pre-industrial society would only be using a little bit of it, since aluminum is really hard to source without electricity. Plus its use as a shield would be very situational, since a non-shardblade sword would wreck it. Presumably the "half-shards" are a bit tougher.

Could also be Brandon whiffing a metallurgy term--he does his homework to fake it, but he's not a materials engineer.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I'm intrigued to see which order makes Shardplate, and how you deploy the helmet properly. I assume it's Bondsmiths or Stonewards. Stonewards do 'weird poo poo' and 'weird poo poo', while Dalinar as the Bondsmith gets 'weird poo poo' and the gluing stuff together thing Kaladin does, which seems appropriate.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Could be casted aluminum--that's actually kinda brittle. Pretty sure it is Al though--seem to recall a signing event question asking about it. Sanderson does love his tinfoil hats scabbards. (hats are a different series)

Plus a pre-industrial society would only be using a little bit of it, since aluminum is really hard to source without electricity. Plus its use as a shield would be very situational, since a non-shardblade sword would wreck it. Presumably the "half-shards" are a bit tougher.

Could also be Brandon whiffing a metallurgy term--he does his homework to fake it, but he's not a materials engineer.

They know what aluminium is, though - Shallan has a necklace of it. They soulcast to make it.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

Tunicate posted:

Gavilar was apparently further along the Bondsmith path than Dalinar when he died

I don't think that conflicts with what I said. We know there can be up to 3 Bondsmiths at once and we don't see or hear of anyone else in the world trying to unite people on a grand scale like they were.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xenix posted:

I don't think that conflicts with what I said. We know there can be up to 3 Bondsmiths at once and we don't see or hear of anyone else in the world trying to unite people on a grand scale like they were.

I was agreeing.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015

Xenix posted:

Taravangian being one of the other two? And (if they are another player) head of the ghostbloods being the third?a

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

beathhail posted:

Taravangian being one of the other two? And (if they are another player) head of the ghostbloods being the third?a

I don't think that Taravangian is a potential Bondsmith. His end goal might be to unite the world under his leadership, but he has no problems with shattering whole nations in the process. Besides, one passage of the Diagram mentions the secret how to break the Knights Radiants and their bonds with their spren, and how Taravangian might need to use it. That doesn't sound like something a Bondsmith would do. I think he violates the firts ideal of his order. "I will unite instead of divide. I will bring men together".

We dont really know anything about Thaidakar to say if he is a potential Bondsmith. We actually have very little information about the goals of the Ghostbloods. I really hope we learn more about them in Oathbringer.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I'd be shocked if we didn't (find out more about Bondsmiths). I mean, the book "lead" character needs to figure his poo poo out just like Shallan and Kal did. Hopefully the stormlight sucking at the end of WoR means we get to skip the "how do I shot web" Radiant 101 learning curve that we had to watch both chars do.

They can soulcast aluminium? That's...interesting. Considering its basically Investiture null-material it seems odd you could create it with investment-related abilities. But then again, Adonalsium/the Shards had to have created it in the first place, sooo...

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 5, 2017

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Taravangian cannot be a Knights Radiant, he violates all of the statements in the first ideal.

quote:

Life before death - The Radiant seeks to defend life, always. He never kills unnecessarily, and never risks his own life for frivolous reasons. Living is harder than dying. The Radiant's duty is to live free.

Strength before weakness - All men are weak at some time in their lives. The Radiant protects those who are weak, and uses his strength for others. Strength does not make one capable of rule; it makes one capable of service.

Journey before destination - There are always several ways to achieve a goal. Failure is preferable to winning through unjust means. Protecting ten innocents is not worth killing one. In the end, all men die. How you lived will be far more important to the Almighty than what you accomplished.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

mossyfisk posted:

I'm intrigued to see which order makes Shardplate, and how you deploy the helmet properly.

There is a theory that each order is associated with an intelligent emotion spren (e.g. Syl/Pattern) and a nature spren (e.g. windspren/creationspren, whereby the emotion spren provides the Nahel bond and eventually the Shardblade, and when the Radiant is far along enough in their ideals, the nature spren combine to form their Shardplate. Basis of this theory is from all the scenes where we see windspren and creationspren gathering around Kaladin/Shallan in massive numbers when they're doing their thing.

It's quite a neat theory to be honest, and makes plenty of fun at guessing what orders other than Windrunners/Lightweavers might have. Though, as we saw at the end of Words of Radiance, Bondsmiths might be completely different since Dalinar was told that the Stormfather wasn't going to be some stupid blade at his beck and call like other spren which means...maybe Bondsmiths get something different since their spren are specific?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Dalinar's blade will be highstorms. Wield them carefully.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

The Gardenator posted:

Taravangian cannot be a Knights Radiant, he violates all of the statements in the first ideal.

Eh, there's some evidence that this is a fungible thing, at least outside of Windrunners. Jasnah's roaring rampage of revenge on the would-be muggers, killing them as they ran away, wasn't a necessary thing. But she justified it as being for the greater good, protecting people in the future, so all's well in bondland.

Taravangian is a bit messier in that he's killing innocents for the greater good, though his greater good is also a bit more significant (the ultimate survival of humanity). He's got some funky Cultivation/odium(?) inspired mental deal going. Which isn't to say he couldn't be a candidate in the future, but the only Radiant stuff he's been doing has been keeping an eye out for them should they appear. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to the Everstorm and the discovery of Urithiru/revelation of the Radiant return.

Side note: his current "deal" doesn't preclude him from being a Radiant, though maybe it would require him being tied to a Cultivation-related order. See: Lift

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 5, 2017

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Leng posted:

There is a theory that each order is associated with an intelligent emotion spren (e.g. Syl/Pattern) and a nature spren (e.g. windspren/creationspren, whereby the emotion spren provides the Nahel bond and eventually the Shardblade, and when the Radiant is far along enough in their ideals, the nature spren combine to form their Shardplate. Basis of this theory is from all the scenes where we see windspren and creationspren gathering around Kaladin/Shallan in massive numbers when they're doing their thing.

It's quite a neat theory to be honest, and makes plenty of fun at guessing what orders other than Windrunners/Lightweavers might have. Though, as we saw at the end of Words of Radiance, Bondsmiths might be completely different since Dalinar was told that the Stormfather wasn't going to be some stupid blade at his beck and call like other spren which means...maybe Bondsmiths get something different since their spren are specific?

I'm not even sure that Bondsmiths ever had Shards to begin with. They might have been the leaders of the Knights Radiants during the times the Heralds were in Damnation. Even though Jezrien is the Herald of kings and leadership (and protection), I think Windrunners were more battlefield leaders, officers. But it was Ishar who created the Knights Radiant. His order was by far the smallest, and their unique powers were pretty special:

quote:

So Melishi retired to his tent, and resolved to destroy the Voidbringers upon the next day, but that night did present a different stratagem, related to the unique abilities of the Bondsmiths; and being hurried, he could make no specific account of his process; it was related to the very nature of the Heralds and their divine duties, an attribute the Bondsmiths alone could address

I think we see some of this at the end of Stormlight 2. Unbinding a shardblade is supposed to be difficult but Dalinar breaks the bond in an instant. Forging/manipulating bonds would naturally be a core power of Bondsmiths. Perhaps they were responsible for maintaining the bonds that held the Knights Radiants together between the Desolations? You would naturally keep those people as far away from fighting as possible, especially since there were always so few of them.

(About the quote, could that be Melishi using his Bondsmith power to banish the Voidspren from the Voidbringers, thus turning them into Parshmen? Making them slaves instead of destroying them?)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Dalinar's blade will be highstorms. Wield them carefully.

Dalinar probably gets Szeth's honorblade.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Torrannor posted:

I think we see some of this at the end of Stormlight 2. Unbinding a shardblade is supposed to be difficult but Dalinar breaks the bond in an instant.

Unbinding a shardblade isn't ever shown as difficult in the first two books though? People bonded to the blade by keeping them in their possession for a week but aside from killing the wielder, they could break bonds pretty easily since IIRC they just have to destroy the gemstone attached to the pommel. All those people who lost shards in duels didn't have to go through elaborate steps to break their bonds with their shards.

Maybe radiants have a harder time doing so but breaking their oaths is probably more than sufficient considering what it does to the bond with their spren.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Unbinding a shardblade isn't ever shown as difficult in the first two books though? People bonded to the blade by keeping them in their possession for a week but aside from killing the wielder, they could break bonds pretty easily since IIRC they just have to destroy the gemstone attached to the pommel. All those people who lost shards in duels didn't have to go through elaborate steps to break their bonds with their shards.

Maybe radiants have a harder time doing so but breaking their oaths is probably more than sufficient considering what it does to the bond with their spren.

"Unbonding a shardblade was supposed to be a difficult process, involving concentration and touching its stone. Yet this one was severed from him in an instant."

So its normally a very deliberate act of will, but Dalinar just dropped his and bam, done.

Him getting the honorblade would be a nice end-run around the "no shards" restriction, but that's almost too cute a solution to work.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Torrannor posted:

-Elkohar seeing Pattern
-Nightblood in action
-The Lopen glowing
-More of Rysn

From the excerpt Sanderson released (Kaladin's walking chapter from book 3):
Finding out what's going on with his home town. What happened to his parents, Roshone, etc. I can't wait.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The other invading of a shardblade we saw only took a moment as well. The wielded just had to summon the blade and touch the gemstone. Then while willing it to unbound the gemstone flashed once and was severed. Hardly difficult so much as simply a deliberate act.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

OAquinas posted:

Eh, there's some evidence that this is a fungible thing, at least outside of Windrunners. Jasnah's roaring rampage of revenge on the would-be muggers, killing them as they ran away, wasn't a necessary thing. But she justified it as being for the greater good, protecting people in the future, so all's well in bondland.

Taravangian is a bit messier in that he's killing innocents for the greater good, though his greater good is also a bit more significant (the ultimate survival of humanity). He's got some funky Cultivation/odium(?) inspired mental deal going. Which isn't to say he couldn't be a candidate in the future, but the only Radiant stuff he's been doing has been keeping an eye out for them should they appear. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts to the Everstorm and the discovery of Urithiru/revelation of the Radiant return.

Side note: his current "deal" doesn't preclude him from being a Radiant, though maybe it would require him being tied to a Cultivation-related order. See: Lift

Well, that's because the series is exploring different (but perhaps equally justifiable and understandable) sets of morals that guide people. I very much doubt Taravangian was written to explore a set of morals that is about mass murder to achieve a greater good.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Tunicate posted:

Dalinar probably gets Szeth's honorblade.

Not too sure on this one since Syl tells Kaladin that it is dangerous which we know from WoB is because the honorblades don't have the safeguards of the Nahel bond so they pretty much let dangerous levels of Investiture rip through the wielder which eventually does Bad Things to your soul. Besides, Dalinar made a pretty big point of giving away his Blade and Plate to signify his transition from warrior to diplomat so for him to get another seems like it would undermine that character growth.

Torrannor posted:

I'm not even sure that Bondsmiths ever had Shards to begin with. They might have been the leaders of the Knights Radiants during the times the Heralds were in Damnation.

You would naturally keep those people as far away from fighting as possible, especially since there were always so few of them.

I suspect this is closer to the function of the Bondsmiths. Remember Jasnah tells Shallan that for every Radiant (or was it order?) dedicated to combat, there were ~3 others dedicated to scholarship, diplomacy, etc. That might mean you only have 2-3 orders who are more combat focused (e.g. Windrunners/Releasers (a.k.a. Dustbringers) with the rest doing other things.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dalinar gets to wield his spren like a sword, duh

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Xenix posted:

Well, that's because the series is exploring different (but perhaps equally justifiable and understandable) sets of morals that guide people. I very much doubt Taravangian was written to explore a set of morals that is about mass murder to achieve a greater good.

That seems to actually be the point of his arc though? Right now as a character he's hitting beats of God-Emperor Leto and his Golden Path: following some vision (that he's done copious notes of) to have a chance at safeguarding mankind's future. The lengths he has to go to and what he has to deal with it are his burden to bear.

Not saying Sanderson is going to go all #NotAllMegalomaniacs or anything, but given what he's shown so far I think we'll be seeing more of Taravangian's point of view and rationale--and he'll probably turn out to be correct, because of the Radiant oath.

Journey before destination--in this case, T's destination and assessment will be seen to be spot on, but his journey is hella hosed up. If it's not used as a foil for that I'll be shocked, tbh.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Leng posted:

Not too sure on this one since Syl tells Kaladin that it is dangerous which we know from WoB is because the honorblades don't have the safeguards of the Nahel bond so they pretty much let dangerous levels of Investiture rip through the wielder which eventually does Bad Things to your soul. Besides, Dalinar made a pretty big point of giving away his Blade and Plate to signify his transition from warrior to diplomat so for him to get another seems like it would undermine that character growth.

I thought the danger was more that honorblades don't give a gently caress about your morality, anyone can use it.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

quote:

Unbinding a shardblade is supposed to be difficult but Dalinar breaks the bond in an instant.

The difficulty is probably just having to actually be willing to give up a shardblade. Dalinar just didn't care for it at that point.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Avalerion posted:

quote:

Unbinding a shardblade is supposed to be difficult but Dalinar breaks the bond in an instant.
The difficulty is probably just having to actually be willing to give up a shardblade. Dalinar just didn't care for it at that point.

That's the thing. Unbonding involves touching the gemstone and issuing a mental command. But Dalinar didn't touch the gem!

Words of Radiance, Chapter 89 posted:

“It will be what it must,” Dalinar said, summoning his Shardblade. As soon as it appeared, screams sounded in his head. He dropped the weapon as if it were an eel that had snapped at him. The screams vanished immediately.
The Blade clanged to the ground. Unbonding a Shardblade was supposed to be a difficult process, requiring concentration and touching its stone. Yet this one was severed from him in an instant. He could feel it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

This might sound crazy but maybe Bonsmiths have an easier time making/breaking bonds, including/especially the Nahel Bond?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Who is the old man in edge dancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

RC Cola posted:

Who is the old man in edge dancer?

Arclo? He's the author of the cover blurbs.

He's an Aimian. Aimians are non-humans, and there are two races of them. Siah Aimians are more human-like. Axis from the interludes is one of them. Arclo is a Dysian Aimian. Dysians are a collective of cremlings who can somehow shapeshift to look like humans.

When Hoid holds his monologue at the end of WoR, waiting for Jasnah, his only audience is a cremling...