Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

VulgarandStupid posted:

They don't really save space and they are slower. Regular sticks are inserted vertically while sodimms lay flat. Also they are limited to 2133.

Except that's not true, since there are 2666 and 3000 SO-DIMMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Zero VGS posted:

I got confused by it before, but Fatality in the case refers to a low latency mouse port, not the lovely brand of NIC (killer). The board is a slam dunk.

Nope, it's dumber than that actually. "Fatal1ty" is the handle of an early pro-gamer from the early 2000s who made big money, well, some money, by licensing out his name to a bunch of "gaming" products. The mouse port and the the line of boards are both named after him. In a past life I worked at a place that sold mice, headsets, and lovely keyboards so branded as well. Funny enough, I think the brand is more "famous" than him nowadays.

Anyway, noticed that Asus Strix z270-i is missing from Asus' own homepage and no one seems to have it in stock. Goddamn is it hard to waste some money.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Debating doing a mini ITX build (somewhat more conventional than those in the OP, I was looking at the Corsair Obsidian 250D for the case), and of course Zen and Kaby Lake have to drop and make me wait for mITX boards... :allears:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Gonkish posted:

Debating doing a mini ITX build (somewhat more conventional than those in the OP, I was looking at the Corsair Obsidian 250D for the case), and of course Zen and Kaby Lake have to drop and make me wait for mITX boards... :allears:

Consider the Thermaltake Core V1 as well. Seemingly a bit smaller but it can fit pretty massive video cards. If you rip off the front logo (which is affixed by glue) it looks like an understated subwoofer.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
I have a Core V1 with an embedded (Atom) Braswell Celeron ASRock board (which uses vertical SODIMMs!) as a home server and it works great. Definitely don't need the space it provides for a big CPU cooler or GPU, but I like the 2x 2.5" + 2x 3.5" bays and I can get by with just the included front 200mm fan since the Celeron is passively cooled.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

big time bisexual posted:

Speaking of unique features, the new crop of Z270 boards finally brought out a mini-ITX board with Thunderbolt 3: the unfortunately Fatal1ty branded ASRock Z270 Gaming-ITX/ac. Gigabyte's previous GA-Z170N Gaming 5 also had Alpine Ridge on board but they never had it certified for use with Thunderbolt for some reason, just USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Oh ffs. I built a new box after summer and went with this board's predecessor (because of the USB-C port), but if I had known they would drop one with Thunderbolt, totally would've waited.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What uses does USB-C or Thunderbolt have in the desktop space? I mean for laptop it makes sense, you have high bandwidth for docking stations, external graphics, monitors and power. But in a desktop, you'd have all of that stuff on the computer itself.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

So I think I have finally made a decision on a case to build in and take with me to the three Dreamhacks in North America, as much as I would LOVE to buy a DAN case the pricing is going to be way too high at $200ish which would really eat into my budget.

http://www.raijintek.com/en/products_detail.php?ProductID=54

So the sizing on this Raijintek Metis Plus seems to be perfect 190x277x254 to fit inside of a Pelican 1510, has anyone dealt with Raijintek? I did find an older LinusTech (when he was working for NCIX lol) who did a build in one and he didn't have anything bad to say.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

VulgarandStupid posted:

What uses does USB-C or Thunderbolt have in the desktop space? I mean for laptop it makes sense, you have high bandwidth for docking stations, external graphics, monitors and power. But in a desktop, you'd have all of that stuff on the computer itself.
If you have a monitor with multiple USB-Cs and some traditional USB type A ports, you could connect peripherals to the type As, and then have the monitor act like it has a built-in KVM for multiple systems being connected. This would be similar to LG's displays that have USB ports and Thunderbolt ports.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Eletriarnation posted:

I have a Core V1 with an embedded (Atom) Braswell Celeron ASRock board (which uses vertical SODIMMs!) as a home server and it works great. Definitely don't need the space it provides for a big CPU cooler or GPU, but I like the 2x 2.5" + 2x 3.5" bays and I can get by with just the included front 200mm fan since the Celeron is passively cooled.

If you didn't already know, since you're using neither a GPU nor an aftermarket CPU cooler you can just screw additional hard drives to the perforated side panels and get 3 or 4 extra "bays" that way.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Shanghaied posted:

Nope, it's dumber than that actually. "Fatal1ty" is the handle of an early pro-gamer from the early 2000s who made big money, well, some money, by licensing out his name to a bunch of "gaming" products. The mouse port and the the line of boards are both named after him. In a past life I worked at a place that sold mice, headsets, and lovely keyboards so branded as well. Funny enough, I think the brand is more "famous" than him nowadays.

never forget

VulgarandStupid posted:

At this point not much but it does help mitigate the anxiety moving to mini-ITX and having only one PCIe slot that is likely going to be occupied by a GPU.

A simple use case right now would be if you have to juggle large files between your desktop and laptop you can set up a peer-to-peer network with a Thunderbolt cable and transfer at 10Gb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

VulgarandStupid posted:

Back-ups to external media for storage off-site and sneakernet (still way faster than most networks) are a couple of uses that come to mind.

Also, your desktop has an internal display? :confused:

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Eletriarnation posted:

Same here on the motherboard, bro. I've got the Asrock J3710 running headless Ubuntu. Works great for samba sharing movies and music around my home network and sips power like it was Trumpcum. It's actually an upgrade from the J1800 bay trail I was using before. I've since learned that there's a J4xxx series out but I've no reason to upgrade so I'll wait until the next iteration.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SourKraut posted:

If you have a monitor with multiple USB-Cs and some traditional USB type A ports, you could connect peripherals to the type As, and then have the monitor act like it has a built-in KVM for multiple systems being connected. This would be similar to LG's displays that have USB ports and Thunderbolt ports.
I feel like I've heard of some displays with two USB-B uplink ports for that use. Granted you'd need an extra cable for each machine (video + USB vs just a single USB-C or TB cable) but not a big deal in a static setup.

big time bisexual posted:

At this point not much but it does help mitigate the anxiety moving to mini-ITX and having only one PCIe slot that is likely going to be occupied by a GPU.

A simple use case right now would be if you have to juggle large files between your desktop and laptop you can set up a peer-to-peer network with a Thunderbolt cable and transfer at 10Gb.
Besides an external PCIe path, for now (...and probably for a while) the main use I can see is various niche stuff like video production things or really high speed storage and networking, or other random niche things that need PCIe for whatever reasons. Well that's for Thunderbolt at least.

For USB-C the ideal is that the port outright replaces USB-A and micro USB in everything and just becomes the one true USB port eventually, more ports everywhere helps with that goal. Really long term is the wacky vision of USB becoming the one true port/cable for nearly everything (yay alt modes and power delivery :dance:)...but with the potential protocol confusion and mess of how USB-C cables are right now god knows if that'll ever happen. Magic wireless poo poo for everything will probably come faster.

Platystemon posted:

Back-ups to external media for storage off-site and sneakernet (still way faster than most networks) are a couple of uses that come to mind.
You don't need USB-C or Thunderbolt for that :confused:

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Shanghaied posted:

Anyway, noticed that Asus Strix z270-i is missing from Asus' own homepage and no one seems to have it in stock. Goddamn is it hard to waste some money.

Yeah, all the other announced boards are showing up, so what's the drat holdup, Asus? Lemme get.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Pro audio gear. Specifically in my case is legacy FireWire gear.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

japtor posted:

You don't need USB-C or Thunderbolt for that :confused:

You need some kind of high-bandwidth interface, which right now means USB 3 or Thunderbolt.

USB-C happens to be the best port for both.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

You guys aren't doing a good job of selling me on USB-C.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

VulgarandStupid posted:

You don't have to think about plug orientation when plugging stuff in!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
It doesn't give me that "I'm actively wearing out the plug or port" feeling every time I plug something in, unlike micro b. Feels solid and consistent.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

No more of this poo poo is all the reason I need; vastly increased transfer speeds are just icing on the cake.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

CHEF!!! posted:

No more of this poo poo is all the reason I need; vastly increased transfer speeds are just icing on the cake.

It'll still never plug in on the first try, it'll catch the lip on the inside of the plug making you think something is wrong.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

VulgarandStupid posted:

What uses does USB-C or Thunderbolt have in the desktop space?

It's there in case you want to use your laptop accessories with your desktop.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Asus Twitter says the new STRIX Z270I will be coming a little later; around late January or early February.

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROGUK/status/816978846872387585

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
What's with the massive heat sinks on gaming motherboards? I don't overclock so maybe I'm missing something, but that seems mega useless. It seems even weirder when it's on a mITX motherboard where space is at a premium. If you actually want to be mITX gaming oriented, wouldn't you try to be as unobtrusive as possible?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Dali Parton posted:

What's with the massive heat sinks on gaming motherboards? I don't overclock so maybe I'm missing something, but that seems mega useless. It seems even weirder when it's on a mITX motherboard where space is at a premium. If you actually want to be mITX gaming oriented, wouldn't you try to be as unobtrusive as possible?

Heatsinks don't take up any extra space, as by definition they sit on top of the components.

Now whether the heatsink is actually useful or just a placebo / decoration depends on the component in question.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Maxwell Adams posted:

It's there in case you want to use your laptop accessories with your desktop.

Thunderbolt 2 already has optical cables by Corning which are light and super durable and can go hundreds of feet. Presumably there will be optical cables for Thunderbolt 3 USB-C, and some docks. That can be a total game changer for desktops because you can build a loud and huge form factor PC to save costs, chuck in down in your cold basement, and run a single thin cable up to your room. Now as far as you're concerned, you have a silent and small form factor dock in your room that serves as your PC.

Thunderbolt optical can also let you ditch bulky cables for VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdNQE-GAq1o

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dali Parton posted:

What's with the massive heat sinks on gaming motherboards?

The better the heat sink, the slower you can run the fans.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Platystemon posted:

The better the heat sink, the slower you can run the fans.

He means why are there heatsinks on the motherboards themselves... to which the answer is no reason really... nothing on the chipsets these days gets hot enough to require heatsinks that size, it's more informed by marketing than by practicality. It's like giant heatspreaders on normal desktop ram sticks, most leet-gaming dummies are impressed by seeing them.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Dali Parton posted:

That gaudy one on the STRIX Z270I also serves as a heatsink for the board's top m.2 slot.

Zero VGS posted:

Thunderbolt 2 already has optical cables by Corning which are light and super durable and can go hundreds of feet.

A few reviews of those Corning optical Thunderbolt cables on Amazon mention how often they fail. :/

quote:

That can be a total game changer for desktops because you can build a loud and huge form factor PC to save costs, chuck in down in your cold basement, and run a single thin cable up to your room. Now as far as you're concerned, you have a silent and small form factor dock in your room that serves as your PC.

I was thinking about this and was wondering how would you pipe the output of a discrete GPU over Thunderbolt if you already have Thunderbolt onboard? Lucidlogix Virtu would be the perfect application for this but they abandoned that technology years ago.

I suppose the best option would be to specifically not buy a motherboard with Thunderbolt integrated and instead use the add-in cards like the one Asus makes where they take in a Displayport input.

Brings me back to using VGA passthrough cables on early 3D cards.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mung Dynasty posted:

Asus Twitter says the new STRIX Z270I will be coming a little later; around late January or early February.

https://twitter.com/ASUS_ROGUK/status/816978846872387585

Welp, I guess that gives me a chance to see what the Ryzen hype is all about. On the other hand, no one is showing X300 AM4 mITX boards at the moment either so...

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

https://smallformfactor.net/news/stragglers-coolermaster-thermaltake-lian-li

There is now/will soon be a 37MM version of the Sandia cooler. Sweet, this might be the thing to get.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Oh neat, Thermaltake finally scrounged up $500 for a logo that wasn't made in MS Word '97. Next time I buy a case from them I might not have to rip off the brand anymore.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

Oh neat, Thermaltake finally scrounged up $500 for a logo that wasn't made in MS Word '97. Next time I buy a case from them I might not have to rip off the brand anymore.

The original logo is like my favorite logo :(

I still don't get why people are ripping it off the front of the Core V1, it's a cool buzzsaw for crying out loud.

I own the Engine 27 and I'd doubt the 37 is going to raise the TDP rating all that substantially but I guess we'll see. They've been taking a real lazy way out on how the original Sandia design was supposed to work. It doesn't use an air bearing, just a normal motors with a not-so-thin gap. The 37 at a minimum could have been made a little wider, it's nowhere near the RAM or anything yet.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 8, 2017

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

The original logo is like my favorite logo :(

I still don't get why people are ripping it off the front of the Core V1, it's a cool buzzsaw for crying out loud.

The buzzsaw isn't irredeemably bad. The godawful, off-centre, cheapskate Arial Italic lettering in the middle of it is.

If you like those proportions, colours and composition, you have objectively bad taste and I will challenge you to a mechanical keyboard swashbuckling duel over it.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 8, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

NihilCredo posted:

The buzzsaw isn't irredeemably bad. The godawful, off-centre, cheapskate Arial Italic lettering in the middle of it is.

If you like those proportions, colours and composition, you have objectively bad taste and I will challenge you to a mechanical keyboard swashbuckling duel over it.

I'm referring to this where it is centered and looks cool:

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Zero VGS posted:

I own the Engine 27 and I'd doubt the 37 is going to raise the TDP rating all that substantially but I guess we'll see. They've been taking a real lazy way out on how the original Sandia design was supposed to work. It doesn't use an air bearing, just a normal motors with a not-so-thin gap. The 37 at a minimum could have been made a little wider, it's nowhere near the RAM or anything yet.

The base plate between the 27 and 37 also changed from a solid block of nickel plated copper to a thinner sandwiched copper base, aluminum mounting ring and then another copper base before the fins. Compare this

to this

Cheaper to make for sure but who knows how efficiency is affected.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

I'm referring to this where it is centered and looks cool:

i still wish there was a way do remove it without leaving an indent. It'd be cool if the logo was held in with like, squeze pins or something, so you could move it wherever you wanted. Like, the bin, for being ugly.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Do we have any info on the release dates/prices on ASUS' Z270 ITX boards? I'm intrigued by the twin m.2 slots on the Strix Z270i, primarily for future expansion if needed. I'm wondering if that trickles down to the less "bling" boards or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Gonkish posted:

Do we have any info on the release dates/prices on ASUS' Z270 ITX boards? I'm intrigued by the twin m.2 slots on the Strix Z270i, primarily for future expansion if needed. I'm wondering if that trickles down to the less "bling" boards or not.

I don't think so, there was a Twitter post saying that info will be coming late Jan/Early Feb