Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Discworld Noir is also worth either watching a LP or playing yourself. Yeah the graphics are kind of crude but it is still so good.

Discworld Noir is an unique point-and-click game in that the crowbar you acquire early in the game is actually used the way a crowbar is used in the real world. I imagine that there were a lot of gamers used to the logic of the first games that were confused by that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

Missing Presumed had much less frustrating and more entertaining puzzles, some of which actually made some sort of twisted sense. Discworld 1's puzzles were so random Pratchett said sorry in the intro blurb for the second game.

Discworld Noir is also worth either watching a LP or playing yourself. Yeah the graphics are kind of crude but it is still so good.

It's been so long since I played MP? that I can't remember what they actually were but there were two or three parts where I got stuck for days each time and had to look things up and the first problem was that I hadn't realized screens could scroll :doh:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's been so long since I played MP? that I can't remember what they actually were but there were two or three parts where I got stuck for days each time and had to look things up and the first problem was that I hadn't realized screens could scroll :doh:
This is to this day the thing I remember most about this game. There are two or three rooms that are specifically drawn to trick you into thinking they're just a single screen. A cheap trick even by the standards of adventure games.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

This is to this day the thing I remember most about this game. There are two or three rooms that are specifically drawn to trick you into thinking they're just a single screen. A cheap trick even by the standards of adventure games.

I just remembered the cemetery was probably the first one. After that I'd check every new screen of course.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jerry Cotton posted:

UU Gardens Croquet puzzle right? that is the first multi screen puzzle you had to do with replacing the clubs with alternatives.

All Discword games had pretty good music too. Especially Noir. I mean, listen to the Temple Of Small Gods theme or the theme of the crazy conspiracy theory obsessed priest.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I might actually have to replay it now that I've read all the books.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

UU Gardens Croquet puzzle right? that is the first multi screen puzzle you had to do with replacing the clubs with alternatives.

All Discword games had pretty good music too. Especially Noir. I mean, listen to the Temple Of Small Gods theme or the theme of the crazy conspiracy theory obsessed priest.

Speaking of that crazy priest: turns out he's right about absolutely everything

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alhazred posted:

Discworld Noir is an unique point-and-click game in that the crowbar you acquire early in the game is actually used the way a crowbar is used in the real world. I imagine that there were a lot of gamers used to the logic of the first games that were confused by that.
Next you'll be telling me you got a fake mustache by walking out to a Boffo shop and purchasing one, rather than scaring a cat into running across double-stick tape.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I finally tracked down The Sea and Little Fishes and I don't think there's a story that more perfectly encapsulates Granny Weatherwax as a character. The later Witch books do a lot of expansion on her dark side and how close she is to giving in at any given moment, but this short story really captures her essence.

It's a very good read, especially if you're a fan of the Witches like I am.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

dordreff posted:

By the time UU becomes properly relevant it's not a place where wizards kill each other to rise through the ranks anymore, though. Ridcully and his faculty are continuously silly, though that's not all there is to them, and before they came along the only wizard who mattered was Rincewind (and maybe that one who dropped out to become a Moving Pictures star, but the key there is that he dropped out).

A lot of that is played as being due to Ridcully being essentially unkillable, due to being the setting's equivalent of Teddy Roosevelt.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Ridcully's a great example of how Terry Pratchett liked to switch up stereotypes, taking the country squire stereotype (when he's introduced, Ridcully is basically Squire Trelawney in a pointy hat), which is one stereotypical "rural" character, and explicitly substituting him for a Druid/radagast the brown figure, which is a totally separate but still rural stereotype. And then makes a joke about how the wizards thought they were getting "I talk to the trees and birds" and ended up with magical Teddy Roosevelt.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Beefeater1980 posted:

Ridcully's a great example of how Terry Pratchett liked to switch up stereotypes, taking the country squire stereotype (when he's introduced, Ridcully is basically Squire Trelawney in a pointy hat), which is one stereotypical "rural" character, and explicitly substituting him for a Druid/radagast the brown figure, which is a totally separate but still rural stereotype. And then makes a joke about how the wizards thought they were getting "I talk to the trees and birds" and ended up with magical Teddy Roosevelt.

Watching that character grow through the books was a wonderful experience, despite sending the poor Bursar over the edge.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Beefeater1980 posted:

On top of which, it's a stereotype we as readers already know doesn't exist. By the time Ridcully is introduced we've seen Discworld druids and they're decidedly more inclined to wrap someone's entrails round a tree than to talk to it. The wizards are literally getting all their impressions of what rural life is like from books.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Well of course. They've been keeping themselves literally cloistered for decades while the rest of the Disc has been dragged kicking and screaming into the Centry of the Fruitbat. Remember when they were running about going 'what ho, what ho' and claiming to be stolid burghers?

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
The Wee Free Men looks like it's being made into a movie by the Jim Henson company with Rhianna Pratchett writing it.

[http://www.wired.co.uk/article/terry-pratchetts-discworld-novel-wee-free-men-heading-to-cinemas

Edit: Just realised that this story is from July. Apologies.

Doubtful Guest fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jan 6, 2017

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Doubtful Guest posted:

The Wee Free Men looks like it's being made into a movie by the Jim Henson company with Rhianna Pratchett writing it.

[http://www.wired.co.uk/article/terry-pratchetts-discworld-novel-wee-free-men-heading-to-cinemas

Edit: Just realised that this story is from July. Apologies.

Id like to see that. Did anything ever happen with the watch tv show?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

hanales posted:

To quote Douglas Adams when he was asked about how the movie adaptation of his books were going along: The Hollywood process is like trying to grill a steak by having a succession of people coming into the room and breathing on it.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

hanales posted:

Everyone involved in writing it is claiming it's still totally happening sometime, honest, so my guess is no-one wants to fund it and it's not happening.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Beefeater1980 posted:

Eh, Squire Trelawney wasn't very bright, blabbered about the treasure map, was easily fooled the Long John Silver, and often did what other people recommended, while Ridcully is smart but stubborn.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Jedit posted:

On top of which, it's a stereotype we as readers already know doesn't exist. By the time Ridcully is introduced we've seen Discworld druids and they're decidedly more inclined to wrap someone's entrails round a tree than to talk to it. The wizards are literally getting all their impressions of what rural life is like from books.

That or uproot the tree so they can erect a new 512-megalith stone circle.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm taking a children's literature class this semester and one of the books we're reading is The Wee Free Men. Now I know Pratchett's books are all easy to pick up and read without any foreknowledge, but I'd like to know if there are any other of his young adult Discworld books that also feature the same characters, or if it is one of his standalone standalones

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I'm taking a children's literature class this semester and one of the books we're reading is The Wee Free Men. Now I know Pratchett's books are all easy to pick up and read without any foreknowledge, but I'd like to know if there are any other of his young adult Discworld books that also feature the same characters, or if it is one of his standalone standalones

They're known as the Tiffany Aching books- Wee Free Men being the first, followed by A Hat Full of Sky, Wintersmith, I Shall Wear Midnight and his last posthumous work, The Shepherd's Crown.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's the first in a series, so basically stand alone

The setting, I suppose, isn't, but he major players are for all intents and purposes.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
I cried a lot when I read Raising Steam. I have been reading Pratchett since the 90s and a lot of it felt like goodbyes to readers.

Haven't been able to go back to it since then. Still haven't read Shepherd's Crown.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Shepherd's Crown was hard to read, but it was worth it. Not because it's slow or tedious or badly plotted -- it isn't -- but because it's pretty much the last Pratchett thing there is and will be.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I took a long time to read Steam and Crown and, whilst they certainly have problems, were both books that left me exhausted emotionally. A worthy goodbye.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I've recently re-read all the Pratchett books in my library. They're all pretty brilliant. Even books like The Last Continent, which has a fair deal of non-brilliant stuff in it. Then I re-read Crown (don't have Snuff around) and by comparison, it's garbage.

The ability to follow a train of thought for more than a few paragraphs (or even within the same paragraph), and consequently the ability to write a good footnote joke, or even a simple running gag like driftwood camels is just... gone.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BBC Two are making a documentary: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38601542

quote:

Terry Pratchett: Back in Black will tell his story in his own words, with comedian Paul Kaye voicing the writer.

"Terry wanted to... write the story of his life as a writer but he never got around to it," said Mark Bell, head of commissioning for BBC Arts.

The creator of the Discworld series died in 2015, eight years after being diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.

The film, to air on BBC Two later this year, will feature contributions from authors Neil Gaiman and Val McDermid.

Rob Wilkins, the writer's long-serving assistant, said they had been working on the documentary during "the last few months of Terry's life".

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Good Omens announced as a co-production by Narrativa, the BBC and Neil Gaiman's Blank Corperation:

http://narrativia.com/good-omens-announcement.html

For broadcast in 2018 by BBC and Amazon.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Good Omens announced as a co-production by Narrativa, the BBC and Neil Gaiman's Blank Corperation:

http://narrativia.com/good-omens-announcement.html

For broadcast in 2018 by BBC and Amazon.

Hooray! Something to look forward to!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope Gaiman gives Gilliam a call, just to consult or whatever. He's wanted to make that for decades.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
After a trip to a used bookstore I decided to start a reread project for myself. I have them all digitally but I lost all my paper copies in a move several years back. I found Guards Guards, Men at Arms and Jingo, so I thought that would be a nice beginning.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

precision posted:

I hope Gaiman gives Gilliam a call, just to consult or whatever. He's wanted to make that for decades.

Asking Gilliam to consult on a TV series would be like asking Michelangelo to consult on painting your living room; it'd be fun to hang out with him, but there's no way you could do what he'd suggest on your budget.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

By rights there should be no way Gilliam can do what he does on his budgets.

Actually just to get it out there: I love everything Gilliam's done but I don't see how his style is a better fit for Good Omens than for... well, Discworld, or Sandman if it comes down to it. Out of everything Pratchett and Gaiman have written, Good Omens might be the one thing that requires the least visual spectacle. Obviously I'd rather have Gilliam's Good Omens than not Gilliam's Good Omens, but still.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Goes without saying that it was never going to be cheerful viewing, but if this article is anything to go by, it's going to be :smith: as hell:

quote:

It was in late 2014 that Pratchett realised he was not the same writer he used to be. “We had a good day working on the biography and he said to me: ‘Rob, Terry Pratchett is dead.’ Completely out of the blue. I said: ‘Terry look at the words you have written today. It is fantastic.’ And he said: ‘No, no. Terry Pratchett is dead.’”

Wilkins said that towards the end of his life Pratchett became increasingly angered by his disease. “He could see how it was affecting him, how it was tripping him up and I knew we were up against it for time. We had to get the words down and with that white heat, with that white anger driving him to write seven whole novels through the haze of Alzheimer’s.”

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

That was a bit harrowing and upsetting to read. :(

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

This documentary is going to loving hurt :(.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh god the Croquet puzzle was hell. I found it funny with 1 compared to MP that you had to kinda KNOW all the elements that made up 1's plot to have an idea on what to do next; where as MP played well as a tonne of references.

1 looked better to me though. That pixel artwork was wonderful.

LEAVE THE CAMERA ALOOOONE

Apraxin posted:

Goes without saying that it was never going to be cheerful viewing, but if this article is anything to go by, it's going to be :smith: as hell:

That's a lot of anger.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 8, 2017

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Just ordered an English version of the last german discworld book I hadn't replaced yet... so it sort of counts as a new book, right?

I need to figure out what to do with the box of german language books that I no longer need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do you have one of those book exchange boxes nearby? Could do a lot worse than spread Discworld books around even if they are the translations. Or just do bookcrossing.

Alternatively, ask around in the family, maybe a young relative likes to read.

God I feel out of touch just typing that. HELLO NEPHEW YOUR MOM SAYS YOU LIKE MUSIC, WANT TO PICK THROUGH MY OLD RECORDS SOME TIME?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 9, 2017