Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Collateral Damage posted:

I had a similar reaction to Napoleon Dynamite, which people in general seem to love and I just couldn't stand because the main character is such a completely unlikeable tool.
I didn't like that movie because it's just not funny or entertaining in any way.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Has anyone seen that Outdoors show? It may be the worst thing I've ever seen. And Stephen Fry is horrible in it.
I watched one episode and it seemed to be literally just an entire show of "Hey, aren't millennials dumb and entitled and terrible in every way?" It did make me realise that there's this weird thing where a boomer's idea of millennials is exactly the same as a millennial's idea of boomers; lazy, entitled, always waving their selfie sticks around, caring about participation trophies, completely disengaged with the real world.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tangled was good.
I watched that movie and you're wrong. Explain to me, what is the purpose of Flynn Rider? He's a thief who betrays his friends, he doesn't help Rapunzel in any way (since she has magic hair that lets her do anything), the closest he comes to redemption is deciding that he actually likes Rapunzel (but he doesn't make amends for any of the bad things he's done) and then at the end he gets to live in a castle, which was what he wanted at the start of the film. What's the message of this film? You can be a dick to everyone and still end up getting everything you ever wanted?

Also, the Gothel is a weird villain. She's minding her own business when some selfish arsehole steals her magic flower. She tries to get the magic back without harming anyone, but finds out the only way is to kidnap Rapunzel (and if she doesn't get the magic, she dies). But then she raises Rapunzel as a daughter and keeps her safe, because she has good reason to believe (and is absolutely right) that if people found out about her they'd try to kidnap her and steal her magic. And then she gets brutally murdered by a comic relief sidekick.

Basically, terrible people get everything they want and there's no one who's actually a particularly good person in the entire film. Even Rapunzel's not really good, since she doesn't have any opportunity to make any kind of moral decision.

bean_shadow posted:

I will be really disappointed if it turns out he left QI for it.
Fry leaving was great for QI, it's a better show for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Tangled was good because it had that song in the bad guys bar. :colbert:

Also terrible people are usually the people that get their way in real life so it's a terrific lesson to teach kids.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also terrible people are usually the people that get their way in real life so it's a terrific lesson to teach kids.

i'll teach my children this by only allowing them to watch lazytown, except edited so it only shows the parts with robbie rotten.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Were you the one critic who kept it from getting a 100% score on Rotten Tomatoes?

I have no idea how anyone could dislike that movie. Indifferent? Sure, but actively hating it?

It is 95% unmemorable, and 5% emotional cheap shots.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

It is 95% unmemorable, and 5% emotional cheap shots.

I'm not even mad, I honestly feel sad for you.

Tiggum posted:

Also, the Gothel is a weird villain. She's minding her own business when some selfish arsehole steals her magic flower. She tries to get the magic back without harming anyone, but finds out the only way is to kidnap Rapunzel (and if she doesn't get the magic, she dies). But then she raises Rapunzel as a daughter and keeps her safe, because she has good reason to believe (and is absolutely right) that if people found out about her they'd try to kidnap her and steal her magic. And then she gets brutally murdered by a comic relief sidekick.

You can't use "fear of death" as a motivation factor, everyone's afraid to die but the rest of us don't go around kidnapping innocent people to stay forever young.

...well, except Peter Theil.

Also she does not "keep her safe" she shelters the gently caress out of her in an extremely unhealthy way.

WampaLord has a new favorite as of 17:53 on Jan 7, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I honestly think it'd be a good idea to make a children's film about coping with the idea that bad people sometimes go unpunished.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

I honestly think it'd be a good idea to make a children's film about coping with the idea that bad people sometimes go unpunished.

Duh, that's what Beauty and the Beast is for.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Duh, that's what Beauty and the Beast is for.

The... fairy? I take it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

The... fairy? I take it?

The man who runs the asylum.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Frozen was the first Disney animated movie that I've seen since I was a kid and I had to shut it off by the second song. I can't say the same about even the worst pixar movie.

I'm still very confused how Frozen was such a huge thing. I didn't think it was bad but I barely remember anything about it, and I liked stuff like Inside Out and find that memorable

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It had two Disney Princesses in one movie.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Das Boo posted:

The bad guys in Pinnochio get away with literally everything they do with no consequences

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

It had two Disney Princesses in one movie.

So... successful marketing I guess?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Das Boo posted:

The... fairy? I take it?

The kidnapping Beast of course. The Peter Theil of Disney princes.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Aesop Poprock posted:

I'm still very confused how Frozen was such a huge thing. I didn't think it was bad but I barely remember anything about it, and I liked stuff like Inside Out and find that memorable

It speaks deeply to teenage girls. That is the secret of ultimate box office success.

Titanic, Twilight, etc.

"Let it go" is the anthem of teen girl independence.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Aesop Poprock posted:

It was a pretty good fairy tale with some funny moments. The animation was pretty impressive. It was good. Not great just good. It also kind of kicked a Disney trend away in that neither princess is married at the end of the movie. It isn't "they got married and lived happily ever after" like basically every other Disney movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Everyone should be required to own a frog, and take care of the frog. If your frog survives the year, you get a tax break

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

The man who runs the asylum.

Now I kinda wish there had been a post credits scene lavishly animating the death of Corpse Dude From That One Scene.
Missed opportunity, Disney.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All Disney movies end with the villains getting their way because royalty is the greatest evil of them all.

E: gently caress you, Little Mermaid, feudalism is not acceptable any more

E: Or would Little Mermaid be theocracy? That's even worse.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
None of the above examples are about really dealing with a just world fallacy, though. The plot just kinda forgets about them.
Give me No Country for Old Men Jr., drat you!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If I know Disney, Tramp was probably some exiled archduke from Eastern Europe, cursed into the form of a dog, arrrg

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

Everyone should be required to own a frog, and take care of the frog. If your frog survives the year, you get a tax break

Frogs are horrifying mindless eating machines barely above locusts. I think it's neat to see them in the wild but what a bad pet

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
i don't think that media for kids really need to be anything other than light-hearted fun that encourages learning and creativity. media for kids should be inclusive, by virtue of being non-discriminatory, though, but that's about it.

i'm having trouble imagining the theoretical child that would need to be told about how sometimes the world is unfair by a movie, because that child would somehow go through daycare, kindergarten and school without instances of feeling like they were ever unfairly treated.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aesop Poprock posted:

Frogs are horrifying mindless eating machines barely above locusts. I think it's neat to see them in the wild but what a bad pet

What an unpopular opinion by some sort of jackass who doesn't like frogs

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Grandmother of Five posted:

i don't think that media for kids really need to be anything other than light-hearted fun that encourages learning and creativity. media for kids should be inclusive, by virtue of being non-discriminatory, though, but that's about it.

i'm having trouble imagining the theoretical child that would need to be told about how sometimes the world is unfair by a movie, because that child would somehow go through daycare, kindergarten and school without instances of feeling like they were ever unfairly treated.

Uh excuse me but watership down was one of my favorite movies when I was little

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pick posted:

What an unpopular opinion by some sort of jackass who doesn't like frogs

I think it's weird when people own pets that have no ability to recognize them it's basically just collecting a living thing

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Aesop Poprock posted:

I think it's weird when people own pets that have no ability to recognize them it's basically just collecting a living thing

And? When I had a saltwater fishtank I wasn't imagining the coral and fish or whatever were my companion animal or that they knew who I was beyond "thing that opens the lid and feeds us". It's not like more traditional pets "recognize" you much beyond "thing that feeds me and smells like ____". Having pets is a hobby like any other. With a dog or something of course you can develop a closer bond than a fish, but in the end it's still just "collecting (and taking care of) a living thing".

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Grandmother of Five posted:

Nah, you have plenty of kid's films that teach good life lessons that a lot of children's media unfairly enforces. Inside Out tells kids it's okay to be sad when most children's media tells them sadness needs to be "fixed." ParaNorman tells kids that returning cruelty with cruelty worsens things when most children's media tells them cruelty is good if it's against a "bad" person. Up tells kids that it's okay to move on from the loss of a loved one when most kid's media just shies away from loss or takes it from a perspective of vengeance equaling justice. These are all really good lessons that prepare kids for dealing with life.
I see a problem with enforcing the idea that the good guy always wins. You set up kids with the expectation that because they're "good" or "right," things will always go their way. When this inevitably turns out to be false, they become lost, furious, vindictive, feel lied to, etc. While it is up to the parents to communicate these ideas, media plays a massive role in everyone's development. This is why you have so many goddamn adults sincerely wondering why they weren't awarded fortune/acceptance/the woman/etc. when they're the "good guy." Media is constantly reinforcing this fantasy and it's one that should be nipped in the bud pretty early.

e: See- MegaMind touching on the idea of a "good guy" not immediately getting everything he wants. Only the "good guy" was actually a bad guy, so...

Das Boo has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jan 7, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
That's why kids should watch Game of Thrones at an early age, so they learn that being good and moral not only doesn't guarantee good outcomes, but in fact is actively harmful to achieving success in worldly pursuits.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 7, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I've never heard anyone use the term "nerd blackface" outside of goons complaining about people using that term. Besides, it's more like nerd Will and Grace.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

And? When I had a saltwater fishtank I wasn't imagining the coral and fish or whatever were my companion animal or that they knew who I was beyond "thing that opens the lid and feeds us". It's not like more traditional pets "recognize" you much beyond "thing that feeds me and smells like ____". Having pets is a hobby like any other. With a dog or something of course you can develop a closer bond than a fish, but in the end it's still just "collecting (and taking care of) a living thing".

Nah fish can recognize your face my friend. Frogs can't. They dumb. Dumber than fish

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160607080356.htm

And yeah those other things you mentioned are different cause there's a bond there. I just think it's weird to have an animal that will never respond to you beyond a primal level

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 20:10 on Jan 7, 2017

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

How dare you speak ill of my pet hermit crabs.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Well coral definitely can't recognize me, but I still enjoyed keeping it because it looked really cool and it was a challenge to figure out all the chemistry bullshit to keep it from dying. Are people with flower gardens and stuff weird too? Sometimes you just want a cool looking thing that you know is alive because you knew how to take care of it.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Well coral definitely can't recognize me, but I still enjoyed keeping it because it looked really cool and it was a challenge to figure out all the chemistry bullshit to keep it from dying. Are people with flower gardens and stuff weird too? Sometimes you just want a cool looking thing that you know is alive because you knew how to take care of it.

To be honest it's not a subject I've really thought about and I don't really care if people own whatever I just remember from being a kid that animals like turtles and mice and poo poo loving blow to own and I think they suck as pets. I had a turtle named Tyrone and he smelled and sucked and the day before he died he screamed

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

You don't walk your coral or take it to coral parks to socialize it with other coral? You're a bad coral parent.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Tiggum posted:

Fry leaving was great for QI, it's a better show for it.

Yes, Stephen Fry was a terrible host. That's why QI was cancelled after only one season.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fry has an awesome voice for a host.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He's a pretty big rear end in a top hat though and aside from fry and Laurie I can't really stand the dude anymore.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Check out The Unbelievable Truth with David Mitchell for how to host this sort of show properly. Fry was too much of a smug blowhard, and it wore on me fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

Check out The Unbelievable Truth with David Mitchell for how to host this sort of show properly. Fry was too much of a smug blowhard, and it wore on me fast.

Fry really is very clever and knowledgeable when people are whispering clever and knowledgeable things into his headset.