Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Is there an episode of Grimm where it turns out that squid people work at an ink factory? I'm just going to assume there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Did Grimm turn itself around at all? It got so massively poo poo near the end of s3 or 4 that I dropped it off my schedule entirely.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Its probably still poo poo, I have no quality filter. I just love stuff like Grimm (and Teen wolf, and Arrow)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zaggitz posted:

Did Grimm turn itself around at all? It got so massively poo poo near the end of s3 or 4 that I dropped it off my schedule entirely.

The quality dropoff at the end of season 3 or midseason break for 4 was so massive I think most of the thread viewers just dropped it outright.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You mean Grimm didn't stop with this?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this! posted:

Also it looks like Jeremy Davies is the bad guy for the season and he's definitely Jeremy Davies-ing it up.

Don't you dare try and sell that show back to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He's a tech billionaire and an evil sorcerer!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Couch Chat: Not a very good show but X is hot!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I wonder how the tech billionaire aspect is going to play into Ichabod's lack of understanding in certain aspects of modern technology... nope. Nope. Not going down that route. I refuse to be swindled into watching the show then hating it again three episodes in.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Odd specific request: old tv shows (70s or 80s) with commercials included? I've looked around on Youtube and the vast majority of old stuff has the commercials cut out because I guess I'm the only one who wants to like replicate the actual experience of watching an old show.

Any show but I'd prefer things like daytime game shows or dramas like Falcon Crest.

There used to be a site that would automatically make you a Playlist of shows and commercials from YouTube if you gave it a specific year, which was kinda close enough

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hulu's The Handmaid's Tale hits April 26th. Kind of got a little more timely in between filming and release.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

precision posted:

Odd specific request: old tv shows (70s or 80s) with commercials included? I've looked around on Youtube and the vast majority of old stuff has the commercials cut out because I guess I'm the only one who wants to like replicate the actual experience of watching an old show.

Any show but I'd prefer things like daytime game shows or dramas like Falcon Crest.

There used to be a site that would automatically make you a Playlist of shows and commercials from YouTube if you gave it a specific year, which was kinda close enough

Star Wars Holiday Special

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TOBOR IS ROBOT SPELLED BACKWARDS

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

precision posted:

1989 Win, Lose or Draw

1988 Classic Concentration, hosted by Alex Trebek and features a great mullet. Concentration was pretty fun back in the day.

Just search "with commercials" on YouTube and the first results seem to be 1980s shows.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

:tviv: I started watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I've been missing out on so much. "Settle For Me," made me crack up.

Edit: "I Give Good Parent" is perfect and I wish I had known it before the holidays.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 8, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

And the key to his first evil plan is stealing the head from the Lincoln Memorial, which is of course a magical totem used to contain a demon-possessed John Wilkes Booth

It really is some classic Sleepy Hollow historical absurdity

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

At least they aren't trying absolutely everything to the Revolutionary War. That was part of what made last season so terrible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
CW just announced renewals on a bunch of shows -- Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash and Legends Of Tomorrow, (so all their superhero shows, natch), Jane The Virgin, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend (wha-whaaat!) and, uh, Supernatural.

Do goons still watch that show?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There's still a thread. Apparently it's made a bit of a rebound recently, but nothing short of a full cast turnover could make me care about that show again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome that CXG got a renewal. Thought it was done for.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Clearly they saw how much TVIV loved it and decided to renew it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's reportedly the most bingewatched show on Netflix in four states, including California and New York.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CXG has been terrible this season. A third season with even less budget sounds torturous.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

That's awesome that CXG got a renewal. Thought it was done for.

It and Jane the Virgin are pretty much the only thing they can claim as "prestige" shows so they can probably coast on that for a couple of seasons.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/constantine-animated-series-at-cw-seed-961873

Constantine is being revived in animated webisode form. Matt Ryan is going to be doing the voice.

quote:

The DC Comics drama, which was most recently adapted for TV by NBC, will return as an animated series on CW Seed, it was announced Sunday at the Television Critics Association winter press tour.

Matt Ryan, who starred in the short-lived NBC drama, will voice the lead character.

The animated series will consist of five or six 10-minute episodes that will premiere during the 2017-18 TV season. On CW Seed, Constantine joins fellow animated DC Comics series Vixen, which launched its second season in October. Additionally, the 13 episodes of the live-action Constantine drama is available for streaming on CW Seed.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Why do the travelers in Travelers have such bad intel on their hosts? "hmm no one will notice if a retarded girl is suddenly normal" I'm on ep 2

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kraps posted:

Why do the travelers in Travelers have such bad intel on their hosts? "hmm no one will notice if a retarded girl is suddenly normal" I'm on ep 2

That specific thing is actually explained.

In general, they basically googled people who lived a hundreds of years ago.

What I don't understand is why they give so little of a poo poo about maintaining cover. There are a lot of things that just plain don't make any sense at all and feel like they were written because someone thought a specific scene was cool and wanted to set it up.

One thing they never address is how it would be possible to fake being an FBI agent for even a few days with no knowledge whatsoever about it. He'd get flagged almost immediately as acting suspicious. Missing meetings, no loving clue what cases he was working on, not filling out paperwork correctly. Right away they would think he was compromised.

The writers never address this. They never show him figuring out how fake it or learning how to be an agent. They show him loving up a bunch, like not knowing how to log in to his computer, but they never do an episode about it or anything. It's just kind of "he's the FBI guy" with no explanation of how he's pulling it off. There's literally more drama about the brain damaged woman maintaining her cover than how difficult it would be for the FBI guy. The season ends strong, but there are just so many missed opportunities in the first half.

I never thought I would complain that a show didn't have enough relationship drama. Most shows shoehorn relationship drama into a premise that doesn't need it. This is a show where people in relationships die and are replaced by dopplegangers, and the conflict that this creates makes up almost 1.5 episodes out of the entire season. It should be central platform for the writers to show us what the characters are like.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 8, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kraps posted:

Maybe watch more than one episode before asking that? That specifically is answered. Not only answered, but it actually serves to jumpstart a whole other storyline later in the season.

Snak posted:

One thing they never address is how it would be possible to fake being an FBI agent for even a few days with no knowledge whatsoever about it. He'd get flagged almost immediate as acting suspicious. Missing meetings, no loving clue what cases he was working on, not filling out paperwork correctly. They would think he was compromised almost immediately.

I feel this is also addressed, but not as directly. They all expect to pretty much disappear from existence as soon as their plan is complete, which is relatively soon after they arrive.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 8, 2017

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

X-O posted:

Maybe watch more than one episode before asking that? That specifically is answered.

no!

(okay)

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

bull3964 posted:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/constantine-animated-series-at-cw-seed-961873

Constantine is being revived in animated webisode form. Matt Ryan is going to be doing the voice.

Maybe this means he might be transferred to the Legends team at some point? It happened to a version of Vixen, albeit recast.

I just want a show to round out the "DC superhero power hour every day" for Friday. Constantine would have fit the bill perfectly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

I feel this is also addressed, but not as directly. They all expect to pretty much disappear from existence as soon as their plan is complete, which is relatively soon after they arrive.

Yeah, like many things in the show, its not unaddressed, it's just a wasted opportunity. So much of the show is taken up by really boring, rote episodic plots, when there is a lot of material inherent in the premise that would have given early episodes much more energy and been much more interesting. Like I don't think the main direction of the show needs any changes, I just think a lot of "filler" seems kind of aimless, when there are much better things that could be done in that time.

Trevor is the beat developed character and the other characters would have benefitted a lot from a more similar treatment.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Anyone else watch the premiere of Emerald City? I liked it better than Once Upon a Time in Wonderland at least. Donofrio's wizard was no Kingpin but I'll stick with it until they cancel it. Some cool visuals but the city itself wasn't too exciting. Directed by Tarsem Singh who did the movies The Fall & The Cell.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My favourite stupid thing about Travelers is the way they have the police officer character stumble onto Marcie and even try to investigate her as having something to do with his wife, simply by asking around about "personality changes". That was really pushing it, honestly.

It doesn't even go anywhere! It just happens, and is then forgotten about.

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

bagrada posted:

Anyone else watch the premiere of Emerald City? I liked it better than Once Upon a Time in Wonderland at least. Donofrio's wizard was no Kingpin but I'll stick with it until they cancel it. Some cool visuals but the city itself wasn't too exciting. Directed by Tarsem Singh who did the movies The Fall & The Cell.

I thought it was pretty, but terrible. Like all of Tarsem Singh's poo poo.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

My favourite stupid thing about Travelers is the way they have the police officer character stumble onto Marcie and even try to investigate her as having something to do with his wife, simply by asking around about "personality changes". That was really pushing it, honestly.

It doesn't even go anywhere! It just happens, and is then forgotten about.

The actually link was that he saw a tiny woman suddenly kicking the poo poo out of a bunch of grown men for the second time in 2 days. I actually liked that as a connection, because it's a bizarre coincidence. I actually thought his character was really well written and liked the way they worked him into the plot.

But yeah, it also amounted to nothing. A whole lot of things that are set are set up are totally wasted. It's lame.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pan Dulce posted:

:tviv: I started watching Crazy Ex-Girlfriend. I've been missing out on so much. "Settle For Me," made me crack up.

Edit: "I Give Good Parent" is perfect and I wish I had known it before the holidays.

I know right? The show was a very hard sell on me but I'm so glad I gave it a chance last month based on TVIV's endless praise.

I just got to the episode where Rebecca finds out she's broke and I love the show even more because all this time it was a running question as to how the hell she kept that up.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

IRQ posted:

I know right? The show was a very hard sell on me but I'm so glad I gave it a chance last month based on TVIV's endless praise.

I just got to the episode where Rebecca finds out she's broke and I love the show even more because all this time it was a running question as to how the hell she kept that up.

And then she muses about being Satan's chief financial officer and how bad a fit she would be for that job.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Okay, the first episode of Taboo was interesting. Jonathan Pryce as an evil bastard and Tom Hardy glowering.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I lost all my respect for Tom Hardy when I found out he loves vaping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Okay, the first episode of Taboo was interesting. Jonathan Pryce as an evil bastard and Tom Hardy glowering.

Unfortunately it doesn't air in the US until Tuesday. Less time than the Young Pope but still annoying.

• Locked thread