Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Flint Ironstag posted:

While obvious, try explaining X and Y axis to the people who have to break out their phone's calculator to figure out that 4 for $5 means $1.25 each. (Recent real world example) I think the "traction budget" is a better way to explain the average slack-jaw why mashing the brakes mid corner is a bad idea. YMMV, as always.
It's pretty easy if you draw the picture that goes with it, I just couldn't be bothered. Makes it a visual thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Not as much as you'd think. Usually 4-5 cents on the dollar profit. Some companies, like State Farm, routinely lose money on the Auto book and make it up elsewhere.

Yeah but that’s after accounting for overhead.

Buying insurance for things you can afford out-of-pocket is still a bad idea.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I've lived in SoCal for just over a year now, and it's hosed up. Pass on the right. Shoot the gap. Block the guy trying to merge. Cut off the truck. Me first. Me me me, mine mine mine.

I've never been anywhere else where it's such a regular occurrence for people to run red lights. And everyone just accepts it and waits a full second before going when they get the green. I see it at least once a day.

They tailgate me in my neighborhood. They speed by my house. They take the blind curves in the winding suburban neighborhoods full of kids on scooters at tire squealing speeds.

I'm from New Jersey. We have traffic and high insurance rates and jughandles. This poo poo here is hosed up.

Outta the way, gramps.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Michael Scott posted:

Out of curiosity if it's not too private how does the pay work, is it good? God knows those premiums keep your wallets full. ;)

Assuming you mean salary anywhere from low 40s to low 50s at entry level, depending on company and discipline. I would have preferred property but auto is where I got in.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wolrah posted:

On certain loose surfaces if stopping is your only goal locking up the wheels is actually the best answer because it digs in and plows a big hill of the surface in front of it. I know that applies to sand and deep gravel, not sure how deep and wet snow would have to be for it to be relevant. In those cases locking up is best, threshold braking is second best, and ABS is worst. Some of the modern trucks with selectable drive modes have a mode that disables ABS

In all other cases of course you are correct, threshold braking is the best answer, ABS second best, and locking up worst.

We should all remember that the purpose of ABS is not primarily to stop faster, but to keep you more in control of the vehicle in a panic stop situation. Rear ABS keeps the back end in line (so if you do crash it's at least in the direction the safety systems are best at) and four-wheel ABS gives you limited steering ability (so you might be able to avoid the crash altogether).

Came here to say this. It is also highly make/model/year dependent, 90s and 00s subaru abs is godawful - it focuses so much on not allowing wheel lockup that it has slid me down hills into cross streets several times because it won't let my studded snow tires slide till they dig through to pavement. I can stop faster by jamming it in first gear and dumping the clutch without touching the brake pedal than I can with the brakes.

It is getting to the point that I call it out verbally for my dashcam when it happens and will probably put an abs killswitch in soon so I don't get in a wreck because my abs decides I am not allowed to brake suddenly. It also freaks out while braking if you hit a pothole which I assure you NEVER happens here.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Came here to say this. It is also highly make/model/year dependent, 90s and 00s subaru abs is godawful - it focuses so much on not allowing wheel lockup that it has slid me down hills into cross streets several times because it won't let my studded snow tires slide till they dig through to pavement. I can stop faster by jamming it in first gear and dumping the clutch without touching the brake pedal than I can with the brakes.

It is getting to the point that I call it out verbally for my dashcam when it happens and will probably put an abs killswitch in soon so I don't get in a wreck because my abs decides I am not allowed to brake suddenly. It also freaks out while braking if you hit a pothole which I assure you NEVER happens here.

The late-90s/early-00s Subaru ABS also tends to give a lot more pedal kickback than I feel that it should, which leads to the driver giving it not enough pedal effort because they don't 'think' to overcome the kickback resistance.

You have to give it a lot of pedal effort to overcome the pedal coming back at you - just stomp on it and grit your teeth.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Michael Scott posted:

I know health insurance companies are mandated to pay a certain amount of premium revenue out in medical reimbursement, I wasn't sure if auto had similar regulations. I know it's competitive for sure. How is that possible for State Farm I wonder. I have a minor accident on the books and SF quoted me the highest rates of any major carrier, a ridiculous amount. Maybe they aggressively price drivers with no accidents.

My understanding (which is 3rd person from people who worked for State Farm, so take it for what it's worth) is that State Farm can give their good 'mutual' company rates by giving ridiculous high quotes for high-risk drivers, therefore causing them to go elsewhere and keeping their insured pool to relatively low risk drivers.

I've been getting occasional competitive quotes from other companies for well over 10 years, and to date, nobody can even get close to the rates I get from State Farm Mutual. The nice thing (for me anyway) is that as long as you are already a policy holder, you can get insurance on vehicles that they otherwise wouldn't even write a policy for, like my old Cobra, vehicles which are normally only insured through their standard risk company, which has quite a bit higher rates.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The late-90s/early-00s Subaru ABS also tends to give a lot more pedal kickback than I feel that it should, which leads to the driver giving it not enough pedal effort because they don't 'think' to overcome the kickback resistance.

You have to give it a lot of pedal effort to overcome the pedal coming back at you - just stomp on it and grit your teeth.

I've been hammering on it hard enough that my scaly rear brake pipes are foremost in my mind along with how much I wish to avoid having to replace them. :lol:

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

kastein posted:

My buddies 06 Subaru WRX had an awesome ABS/brake feature where if the car was up on 3 wheels (such as long tight corners on a track with R compounds) and you hit the brakes the pedal would go straight to the floor and not even try to stop the car. There were a few scary moments.

gently caress Subaru brakes.

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.

kastein posted:

will probably put an abs killswitch in soon so I don't get in a wreck because my abs decides I am not allowed to brake suddenly. It also freaks out while braking if you hit a pothole which I assure you NEVER happens here.

Pulling the fuse kills it until you turn the car off & back on again. So a momentary interrupt pushbutton could probably do the job fine.

(mine has a flag of tape around it to pull it by feel for rallyx/icex)

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I've been rolling 50k miles with that ABS fuse yanked out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I would do the same but if I get in an accident that way I would rather not have to answer lawyers and insurance people's questioning as to why I had a safety system disabled, because most people are not going to understand that the implementation is pisspoor and disabling it makes it brake better.

Is this likely? No. Still don't want to risk it.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

sirr0bin posted:

My buddies 06 Subaru WRX had an awesome ABS/brake feature where if the car was up on 3 wheels (such as long tight corners on a track with R compounds) and you hit the brakes the pedal would go straight to the floor and not even try to stop the car. There were a few scary moments.

gently caress Subaru brakes.

Maybe your friend should back off on the sway bars? :)

Its called "ice mode" and it can happen on nearly any car, although some seem to be more resistant to others. Basically the system thinks you are on ice or a similar extremely low traction surface, and it can't prevent the wheel from locking up "normally", so it reduces the pressure to a very minimal amount to try to slow the car while preventing lock up. Usually you need to completely disengage the brakes and re-engage to get the system out of its funk, and working normally again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Brigdh posted:

Usually you need to completely disengage the brakes and re-engage to get the system out of its funk, and working normally again.

This was my natural response when it happened to me the first time.

It scared me a little, but I didn’t hit anything.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Its called "ice mode" and it can happen on nearly any car, although some seem to be more resistant to others. Basically the system thinks you are on ice or a similar extremely low traction surface, and it can't prevent the wheel from locking up "normally", so it reduces the pressure to a very minimal amount to try to slow the car while preventing lock up. Usually you need to completely disengage the brakes and re-engage to get the system out of its funk, and working normally again.

My '99 Cobra went into ice mode at an autocross in Kalispel, MT once the first year that I ran R compounds on it (Khumo V700's were the tire of the moment back then). I did an amazing journey across the lawn of the Kalispel community college. I think I may have hit an oil patch in the parking lot, not really sure and it never happened again. After it happened and I collected my poo poo, I was really super happy that there was no change in elevation between the pavement and the grass on that particular lot. A curb would have thoroughly ruined my day.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

The Locator posted:

My '99 Cobra went into ice mode at an autocross in Kalispel, MT once the first year that I ran R compounds on it (Khumo V700's were the tire of the moment back then). I did an amazing journey across the lawn of the Kalispel community college. I think I may have hit an oil patch in the parking lot, not really sure and it never happened again. After it happened and I collected my poo poo, I was really super happy that there was no change in elevation between the pavement and the grass on that particular lot. A curb would have thoroughly ruined my day.

Interesting. You are the only one I've directly heard of triggering it with R comps in the dry (with all the tires on the ground). Based on my experiences and the limited chats I've had with actual ABS engineers, that shouldn't be possible, but well, you've actually experienced it. Must have been going too drat fast, and the ABS system felt it needed to put a lid on the fun :)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FCKGW posted:

Outta the way, gramps.

I'd love to import a bunch of East Coast cab drivers and have them start jumping the green lights. See how those fuckers in their Lexus RX300s run the red lights then.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Brigdh posted:

Must have been going too drat fast, and the ABS system felt it needed to put a lid on the fun :)
Attempting to kill the driver is an interesting way to go about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

Attempting to kill the driver is an interesting way to go about it.

It's a mustang, it thirsts for blood.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Brigdh posted:

Interesting. You are the only one I've directly heard of triggering it with R comps in the dry (with all the tires on the ground). Based on my experiences and the limited chats I've had with actual ABS engineers, that shouldn't be possible, but well, you've actually experienced it. Must have been going too drat fast, and the ABS system felt it needed to put a lid on the fun :)

Keep in mind that Khumo V700's probably have less traction than today's BFG RE71R's. Tires, both street and R compounds have come a long way in a very short period of time. Also, this was a 99 Cobra, which was Ford's very first Mustang with a hacked together IRS, so it may just be something that was fairly unique to the specific situation I was in.

I don't remember the lot having enough bumps that a tire might have gotten off the ground, but who knows. It was a straight into a hard turn at the edge of the lot, and I had been braking right on the edge of ABS in my prior runs, so it was a situation where I was pushing the edge, with basically no safety margin (that group was small, the lots were small with lots of obstacles, and their courses would have made a Phoenix SCCA safety steward faint dead away).

I definitely took that part of the course somewhat slower in later runs, so the ABS was successful in putting that lid on I suppose.

Powershift posted:

It's a mustang, it thirsts for blood.

It possibly mistook that grassy area for the other one where most of the spectators sat. :v:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

The Locator posted:

Keep in mind that Khumo V700's probably have less traction than today's BFG RE71R's. Tires, both street and R compounds have come a long way in a very short period of time. Also, this was a 99 Cobra, which was Ford's very first Mustang with a hacked together IRS, so it may just be something that was fairly unique to the specific situation I was in.

I don't remember the lot having enough bumps that a tire might have gotten off the ground, but who knows. It was a straight into a hard turn at the edge of the lot, and I had been braking right on the edge of ABS in my prior runs, so it was a situation where I was pushing the edge, with basically no safety margin (that group was small, the lots were small with lots of obstacles, and their courses would have made a Phoenix SCCA safety steward faint dead away).

I definitely took that part of the course somewhat slower in later runs, so the ABS was successful in putting that lid on I suppose.

True, tires have evolved a lot in a short time, but so have ABS systems. I was vaguely wondering if it was an instances of an early ABS system being hard coded with a tire traction characteristic and a hysteresis to get around processing limitations, thus throwing a R comp at it might exceed the range of the programmed look up tables, but an ABS system from '99 shouldn't need to have that processing shortcut.

Who knows. A situation to ponder, yet never have answered.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The old people in Miami are dying or nearly dead. The old people in Phoenix are spry enough to drive themselves down for the winter, and are still on the roads. Flip side, they probably came from an area with winters.

Short answer, I don't know.

Miami's mostly typical undereducated drivers from the US and Latin America, with the usual distracting phone usage, and with short fuses because traffic down here is so bad and poorly managed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
People we no longer share the road with:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I'm gonna savor this moment as much as possible for as long as possible.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

drat you I came here to post that. My schadenfreude can only get so erect though, that is an amazing series of pictures

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
https://i.imgur.com/DJuOIa9.mp4

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Did that trailer's spare fall off in the gif too? Jesus Christ dude get your life straight.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm surprised the insurance industry hasn't done something to mandate winter tires and winter driving courses, independent of the law. I'd sign up with a company that did, because my rates would surely go down in a huge way as a result.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of mandated winter driving courses this happened on my way to work.

There are no crashes even though it's a dashcam video.

Bonus idiocy.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 9, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

um excuse me posted:

The car did a quick assessment, judged that there were no pedestrians to hit, and continued on its way to sate its bloodlust elsewhere.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
Everything about this is perfect http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=00b_1483811546

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

That soundtrack just works so well with the dialog.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

um excuse me posted:

It's good that this Mustang owner found out salt dust is also slippery with no cars in adjacent lanes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can skip to 1:40 because absolutely nothing happens before then. this dude sucks at editing as much as he does at filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp-5564qh0A

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Powershift posted:

You can skip to 1:40 because absolutely nothing happens before then. this dude sucks at editing as much as he does at filming.

You would think after as many years as people have been carrying phones capable of capturing video, that people would have figure out how to hold them by now, but nope.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sorry, vertical works better for that particular shot.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Sorry, vertical works better for that particular shot.

No it doesn't You can cut off the top 40% and bottom 40% of the screen and get everything.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
In that particular video
1) it's better in portrait orientation
2) if you are watching on a mobile device in portrait orientation and click the maximize button, it fills up the screen perfectly hth
3) i wish we could see what happened between the minivan and the yellow rig under/before the bridge. My instincts tell me the minivan got sideways in front of the yellow truck and the rest is crunching noises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powershift posted:

No it doesn't You can cut off the top 40% and bottom 40% of the screen and get everything.

There’s some utility in including more of the road leading up to the scene of the accident and zero utility in including the snow to the right and the oncoming lanes to the left.