Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

Posting from the past to point out that Prometheus was set 28 years prior to alien and that even within alien canon most of the stuff doesn't look anywhere near as slick as the Prometheus. It really is incongruous and there was a theory that perhaps it's due to some kind of massive wide-scale technological setback, but the timing doesn't really support that because it would mean within 28 years we lost things like flatscreen monitors but still managed to bounce back enough to be doing spacefaring stuff that we hadn't previously achieved.

The look of Prometheus is rad and cool, but definitely doesn't jive with the universe it was set in.

I would disagree with you. The prometheus was a ship housing wayland himself. It was also a massive science vessel and not a standard cut ship. Wayland probably had it set to his own specs in case he had to be up and about.

Remeber, he thought he would find immortality on the planet and planned accordingly for his return journey.

Also A:CM had a better story and acting than aliens 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Saddest Robot posted:

A mobile refinery and a military space carrier are not going to look like a top of the line luxury research vessel just like the interior of a Tesla is not going to look like the interior of a UPS truck. Yet both those things co-exist side by side in our world and it doesn't break our minds trying to comprehend how we could have electric cars with high tech computers and have gasoline powered mail trucks on the same roads at the same time.

And bio-diesel/LNG powered buses on those roads too.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
SC will never use cut scenes or scripted bullshit

wait nvm.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/TarkaRoshe/status/816550913972338688

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Eldragon posted:

If you are holding your breath the alveoli in your lungs will pop. You need to exhale completely.

But the expanse is awesome and book 6 is great, mandatory nerd reading.
Thank you commando o9

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

"Join a growing #DiscordApp community and speculate"

Oh yes let's dream of all the things this amazing new mmo game will have, together

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Gotta love the priorities of the mods in this thread, posting "woah don't doxx people" = probations
posting "this cig employee is ignoring my harassment, guess i gotta harass his wife instead, am i right guys?" = this is fine

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Spermanent Record posted:

I liked it too. :)
I think it helps if you're an old man and don't know anything about those awful musicians.
I also like Die Antwoord.

I do not like Star Citizen.

Gerbil_Pen
Apr 6, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Booourns posted:

Gotta love the priorities of the mods in this thread, posting "woah don't doxx people" = probations
posting "this cig employee is ignoring my harassment, guess i gotta harass his wife instead, am i right guys?" = this is fine

Maybe there's something between "probations" and "this is fine"

Maybe something like "ignore the weirdo."

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Or everyone tell him it's a bad idea and he's being weird. Which is what happened.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

grimcreaper posted:

I would disagree with you. The prometheus was a ship housing wayland himself. It was also a massive science vessel and not a standard cut ship. Wayland probably had it set to his own specs in case he had to be up and about.

Remeber, he thought he would find immortality on the planet and planned accordingly for his return journey.

Also A:CM had a better story and acting than aliens 1.

Sure it makes sense that it would be well appointed and fancy, but it doesn't make sense that they just flat out had better/newer technology across the board. Even 85 years later there is nothing in Earth's brand new orbital facility that stands up to the level of technology in that one ship.

Prometheus looks cool, but doesn't make sense. It's fine.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Booourns posted:

Stop doxxing

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Ben's "wing commander museum" is actually code for gastric bypass, which is the only reason I don't want samizdata to press the issue :(

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Booourns posted:

:discourse:

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Samizdata posted:

Well, a fair bit of people seem to be noticing this, so, I suppose my goal is becoming complete.

Also, MODS! He said I was a spaz! HE'S DOXXING ME!

STOP

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It just dawned on me that the very thing backers are complaining about with Elite (just a cutscene) is the same thing they would praise in Squadron 42.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It just dawned on me that the very thing backers are complaining about with Elite (just a cutscene) is the same thing they would praise in Squadron 42.

HELMET HELMET HELMET

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Regrettable posted:

Or everyone tell him it's a bad idea and he's being weird. Which is what happened.

He's talking about the moderators. Please try and keep up.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Booourns posted:

Well, as it didn't happen, there's nothing to probate. However, I might bring up the fact she is quite publicly a CIG employee also.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The thargoid looks like poo poo. It's a giant freaking pinwheel with no semblance of mass.
While I also dislike the driller (lol), I think it looks better than that wreck of poo poo they made for elite.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

i know we have beaten every horse in the world to death about backer delusion but MoMA's stance on this particular cutscene issue is worth going over.

In fact it is so delusional from someone that has proclaimed to be such an intellectual that I'm actually kind of worried. Is this him going off the deep end because he can no longer ignore his $12,000 tech demo is a scam?

being smug about another, actually existing game, revealing new content with a cutscene not being as good as a game that is 100% theoretical delivering nothing but cutscenes? This is the part of the movie where a robot explodes because it can not compute the variables.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Lladre posted:

The thargoid looks like poo poo. It's a giant freaking pinwheel with no semblance of mass.
While I also dislike the driller (lol), I think it looks better than that wreck of poo poo they made for elite.

good thing your opinion of pure aesthetics aren't the only point of contention!

one was a rendered trailer, of which there have been dozens, with content that has no hint of actually existing with no indication of a game for it to even exist in in the first place. Obviously existing as 1000% pure marketing and hype just like the quantum travel cinematics, pupil to planet or the mission editor cinematics they have been churning out for years.

The other is a design for a ship you don't like in an actual game that has content based around the ships you don't like the look of.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Samizdata posted:

Well, as it didn't happen, there's nothing to probate. However, I might bring up the fact she is quite publicly a CIG employee also.

Please Probate This Person

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lladre posted:

The feeling I have (admittedly from playing the first game) is that that is NOT a Thargoid ship, but it is, in fact, A Thargoid itself. And, given that, and the fact that radial symmetry is far from unknown in nature, the design works fine for me.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lladre posted:

He's talking about the moderators. Please try and keep up.

He's crying about his friends getting probated for purposely making GBS threads up the thread, while calling for the probation of someone who was already talked out of doing the stupid thing they were planning.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Booourns posted:

It's creepy that some people hate ben so much that they're planning to harass his wife over social media

you wouldn't understand...being a member of DENSA and all :smuggo:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Booourns posted:

Booourns posted:

It's creepy that some people hate ben so much that they're planning to harass his wife over social media

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the thargoid looks cool and good, like a living space flower. like it a lot

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Booourns posted:

Chill the gently caress out.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Space whales are awesome and you are dumb if you don't like them.

Are Dune sandworms copyrighted? Extend that too all the other unoriginal poo poo in this pile.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Blue Cross Blue Balls posted:

Haven't caught up to the thread properly but i i i archered them. :cry: BrB taking a shower to scrub the diiirty Doxer from me.

Star Citizen 3.0 release promises revolutionary features
https://archive.is/6dvf0

Whois Record for PixELemonade.com
https://archive.is/yCc82

I'm Andrew Maher!
https://archive.is/Wadw0

Oh good, thank you for catching it. I need to get in the habit of archiving this stuff, it has a nasty tendency to vanish shortly after it gets posted. Almost like somebody obsessively reads this thread and is desperately thin skinned about accusations of dishonesty!

Edit: love that expertise section on the resume. "How are you with Wordpress?" "Oh, 85%."

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Booourns posted:

put out the factsareuseless signal by making some comedy so he can come murder it

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

put out the factsareuseless signal by making some comedy so he can come murder it

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Fat Shat Sings posted:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Please stop talking about the meta of the thread.

What is the most alien force we've seen in Star Citizen? From the hubbub surrounding this Thargoid thing, I assume SC hadn't even speculated something like that.

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007

toanoradian posted:

What is the most alien force we've seen in Star Citizen?

The backers.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

toanoradian posted:

What is the most alien force we've seen in Star Citizen? From the hubbub surrounding this Thargoid thing, I assume SC hadn't even speculated something like that.

All the aliens in Star Citizen are of the Star Trek School of Xeno Diversity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Everybody knows if we ever encounter intelligent extraterrestrial life it will take the form of a generic evil looking biped

e: taxxe

BeefThief fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 9, 2017