Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games
CTRL-F "MMORPG" — 58 matches.

Must be awful.

NO. UNREAL ENGINE 3 IS poo poo IT CAN'T PUSH AS MANY POLYGONS!

Furthermore, they couldn't have used Unreal Engine 4 even though it came out in May 2012, months before the kickstarter ever happened.

BUT DEVELOPMENT STARTED IN 2014!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

NO. UNREAL ENGINE 3 IS poo poo IT CAN'T PUSH AS MANY POLYGONS!

Furthermore, they couldn't have used Unreal Engine 4 even though it came out in May 2012, months before the kickstarter ever happened.

BUT DEVELOPMENT STARTED IN 2014!!!!!!!

nope development started only last year when all the studios are transferred outside of US

I hope Trump will triple tax these scammers

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
I gave up trying to explain basic game design concepts to citizens when a group of them would not relent in insisting that the current representation of ArcCorp in the social module is a full scale city that could be dragged and dropped onto a procedurally generated crysis planet and seamlessly approached from space.

You could walk them down the middle of the set of a Hollywood Western and they'd think every building on the street was fully built out.

They are amazingly stupid people.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Regrettable posted:

Because apparently no one else got the joke.

You obviously didn't :) It's ok, though, carry on. It wasn't very good.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
You know I love the X-Com games, like really love them. I'll even pre-order them.

I won't make museums about them though, or pay $15,000 for them, or stalk Derek Smart because he doesn't like them.

What is wrong with these people?

Hey Derek, make an X-Com style game! Your crazy,whole world in a game, ideas would work way better in a strategy format!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Spermanent Record posted:

You know I love the X-Com games, like really love them. I'll even pre-order them.

I won't make museums about them though, or pay $15,000 for them, or stalk Derek Smart because he doesn't like them.

Hey Derek, make an X-Com style game! Your crazy,whole world in a game, ideas would work way better in a strategy format!

S-Com : Terror from the tweet.

:)

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Spermanent Record posted:

I think he already did do some sort of squad based game, but I don't know if it's turn-based or not.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Sabreseven posted:

S-Com : Terror from the tweet.

:)

Citizen-Com: Terror from the Derp.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

GazChap posted:

Citizen-Com: Terror from the Derp.

lol :five:

chochmah
Sep 27, 2015
The first comments below the "Der Spiegel" article-thread about SQ42 and it's 'maybe' 2017 release are unusually gloomy:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

chochmah posted:

The first comments below the "Der Spiegel" article-thread about SQ42 and it's 'maybe' 2017 release are unusually gloomy:

So now they're looking into his past and finding disconcerting patterns? :cripes:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tippis posted:

So now they're looking into his past and finding disconcerting patterns? :cripes:

Soon we'll start to see posts like "Guys... maybe Derek Smart was right?"

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

That may be the first time I've got more than 30 upvotes in that sub. Normally I'm in the -10 or less range.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Apparently MS has killed Scalebound, which was an anticipated exclusive, because it was missing deadlines or performance targets or something.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/scalebound-made-unachievable-by-microsoft-shady-contract-work-say-sources-38897

quote:

This was advertised as one of the Xbox One's greatest upcoming exclusives, and certainly the biggest of its investment in new IPs. It was a game being made by one of the great studios of the world, for a console that was dying to see something like it.

The most basic explanation given for today's news is that Microsoft didn't see Scalebound as on-track for success and decided to end its life before anything really bad could happen.

I wonder how long ago SC would've been killed by them.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The video explains it well, with pictures and everything!

He can't be credible, he's got a whole reddit sub dedicated to him!

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
What ever happened with that Star Citizen Star marine Competitive League International Tournament?

Did WTF win? Did he get calzoned in the first round?

When I looked there were like 8 full teams and thirty "one man captain" teams.

Also Scalebound was poo poo and looked boring and un fun as hell.

Lord_NeckBeard
Oct 26, 2015

XK posted:

Apparently MS has killed Scalebound, which was an anticipated exclusive, because it was missing deadlines or performance targets or something.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/scalebound-made-unachievable-by-microsoft-shady-contract-work-say-sources-38897

I wonder how long ago SC would've been killed by them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How many buckets you could fill by wringing out Ben's underwear every night?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
In a survival situation, his underwear could be fashioned into shelter.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How many buckets you could fill by wringing out Ben's underwear every night?

There's a limit to how much bile and vomit can actually be in your stomach at any point, so not even one is my guess, unless it's a fairly small one.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

The Rabbi T. White posted:

MondoDBStar Citizen is web scale.

From way back, but :laffo:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chin posted:

I gave up trying to explain basic game design concepts to citizens when a group of them would not relent in insisting that the current representation of ArcCorp in the social module is a full scale city that could be dragged and dropped onto a procedurally generated crysis planet and seamlessly approached from space.

You could walk them down the middle of the set of a Hollywood Western and they'd think every building on the street was fully built out.

They are amazingly stupid people.

Show them the various videos of people falling through the floor and exposing how fake the entire "city" really is.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Show them the various videos of people falling through the floor and exposing how fake the entire "city" really is.

It's in ALPHA, JEEZ.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Daztek posted:

Soon we'll start to see posts like "Guys... maybe Derek Smart was right?"

Nope.
Once it all goes down the drain, it's gonna be ”Derek? But he was just a raving lunatic! When he said those things, he didn't *really mean it*, because he wasn't an insider like us. It didn't matter then, now that we're saying it's a scam, now it matters!”

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ewe2 posted:

Couldn't resist

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
That picture.. The whole scene looks like it has been set up for this picture. Weird.

Why is Sandi there and why is she sitting in that position on the desk?

Also, the room is smaller than first impressions. It tiny and they are cramped as gently caress.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I'm sure they really meant objectives. 7 objectives. Where did the zero go? Oh it was a zero so it had no value so we just scrubbed it off refactored it.

FTFY. MVP, what what?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eldragon posted:

That may be the first time I've got more than 30 upvotes in that sub. Normally I'm in the -10 or less range.

It's pretty indicative of how bad things are. The_Smokey_Bandit has basically admitted that things are hosed at CIG, but in spite of their constant failures he still wants to believe and get what he paid for. He's on the edge and could be brought back, but CIG doesn't have anything to show (nor will they anytime soon) and another disappointment or two will likely lead to him losing faith and ultimately demanding a refund (that he likely won't get). It's a fascinating phenomena and I seriously hope someone is closely studying this as a case study in group psychology. I can drat well near guarantee you that there's at least a few marketing firms following this thing closely to see what the gently caress got people to collectively spend $141M and individually up to tens of thousands of dollars into an unsubstantiated dream.

The response when more and more people lose faith is going to be even more interesting. Some folks will just shrug and move one. Others (like me) will watch the whole thing burn, and then of course there's the subset of folks who might get violent or self-harm. I hope that subset doesn't exist, but you don't scam hundreds of thousands of people without getting a few outliers.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

chochmah posted:

TheSmokeyBandit is the dude who did that big salty StarMarine thread on reddit close to a year ago :roflolmao:

Hey, at least he got results, kinda.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Lladre posted:

What ever happened with that Star Citizen Star marine Competitive League International Tournament?

Did WTF win? Did he get calzoned in the first round?

When I looked there were like 8 full teams and thirty "one man captain" teams.

Also Scalebound was poo poo and looked boring and un fun as hell.

I have no idea what Scalebound actually was, but I thought the contrast of people talking about a publisher jumping into to save SC vs MS killing a project toward the end of its development, that they were already deeply invested in, was amusing.

Did that tournament happen already? If WTF was involved, he probably got killed very quickly. He doesn't seem very good at any of SC or SM, despite how much time he invests into it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sillybones posted:

In a survival situation, his underwear could be fashioned into shelter.
On balance, I've heard freezing to death isn't such a bad way to go.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

XK posted:

I have no idea what Scalebound actually was, but I thought the contrast of people talking about a publisher jumping into to save SC vs MS killing a project toward the end of its development, that they were already deeply invested in, was amusing.

Did that tournament happen already? If WTF was involved, he probably got killed very quickly. He doesn't seem very good at any of SC or SM, despite how much time he invests into it.

Since it was broadcast by nu-INN, most Redizens were less than enthused. I half-remember someone linking to it in the thread, but it was like a loading screen that I closed at once :shrug:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Truga posted:

It's gonna be like half life with cutscenes.

But you'll jank through the floor every 5 minutes, so make sure to save often unless you really like Pusher.

You wouldn't be playing the game unless you were in love with Pusher. I mean, come ON! You really don't understand backer development!

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The response when more and more people lose faith is going to be even more interesting. Some folks will just shrug and move one. Others (like me) will watch the whole thing burn, and then of course there's the subset of folks who might get violent or self-harm. I hope that subset doesn't exist, but you don't scam hundreds of thousands of people without getting a few outliers.

I think the odds of self harm are unfortunately really high here. People are dumping more money than they can afford into this. NMS was just a $50 game and people melted down. What happens with those that dropped $5k+?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Since it was broadcast by nu-INN, most Redizens were less than enthused. I half-remember someone linking to it in the thread, but it was like a loading screen that I closed at once :shrug:

That most of the shitizens seem to reject nu-INN still gives me a little hope they have at least some limit where their bullshit detectors go off.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
when is the next concept sale

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

scope_creep.png

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

MeLKoR posted:

scope_creep.png

You know how Star Trek used to put the 'Tech' placeholder into scripts before they'd backfill the necessary polarization reversal?

'Planet Tech'

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

drat, yeah should've done that. I got caught up trying to explain levels of detail and facades like a dummy.

Unfortunately this was awhile ago. Would've been interested to see their response.

Daztek posted:

It's in ALPHA, JEEZ.
That's probably accurate.