Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
With a name like "the Chameleon" one assumes the target is some master of disguise. Maybe the client wants it to look like an accident but doesn't want the target blown to bits so his identity can be confirmed later :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Samopsa posted:

Electrocution is also an accident, and blowing up due to environmental hazards. Falling off cliffs and such is also an accident, as is being crushed by a falling object.

blowing up due to environmental hazards is specifically off the table.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

With a name like "the Chameleon" one assumes the target is some master of disguise. Maybe the client wants it to look like an accident but doesn't want the target blown to bits so his identity can be confirmed later :v:
Would be funny if he goes around grabbing disguises like 47 does.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Samopsa posted:

Electrocution is also an accident, and blowing up due to environmental hazards. Falling off cliffs and such is also an accident, as is being crushed by a falling object.

I really, really hope at some point we get banana peels.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

So, let's see…

Colorado offers the slurry pit and a handful of toilets, a couple of oil drums and the lawn mower, a car hoist, a hay bale, two rather out-of-the-way electrocutions, chandelier crushing, falling out of windows and off roofs, and… does putting someone in a baler count as an accident?

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug

Tippis posted:

So, let's see…

Colorado offers the slurry pit and a handful of toilets, a couple of oil drums and the lawn mower, a car hoist, a hay bale, two rather out-of-the-way electrocutions, chandelier crushing, falling out of windows and off roofs, and… does putting someone in a baler count as an accident?

I don't think so, but I wish hay balers/garden shredders/dissolving in acid came up as a special kill in contracts. So many missions could be built out of that.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kolnikov posted:

I don't think so, but I wish hay balers/garden shredders/dissolving in acid came up as a special kill in contracts. So many missions could be built out of that.

There's an escalation mission in Marrakesh that requires you to hide a specific body in a specific bin. Can you not set that as a requirement for contract missions? I haven't messed with contracts at all.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kolnikov posted:

That, and allow for unlimited contract targets.

Colorado Contract #1: BALE EVERYONE!

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Mzbundifund posted:

There's an escalation mission in Marrakesh that requires you to hide a specific body in a specific bin. Can you not set that as a requirement for contract missions? I haven't messed with contracts at all.

Contracts are pretty vanilla. You can mark up to five targets, and the game will note for each of them what type of kill it was (melee, accident, explosion, accident, etc.), in what manner you killed them (weapon used or accident type), and what disguise you were wearing at the time.

There's no way to add additional restrictions like there are in escalations, and players doing the contracts have nothing really binding them to complete the hits in the same way.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
"I see you're out-sourcing, 47."

:laffo:

Diana's actor loving killed that line.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

So is "non-lethal melee kill" fire extinguisher only? I did one contract like that successfully, tried another with a propane tank and failed. Very confused by the wording, especially since my first thought, neck snapping, proved to be false.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mondian posted:

So is "non-lethal melee kill" fire extinguisher only? I did one contract like that successfully, tried another with a propane tank and failed. Very confused by the wording, especially since my first thought, neck snapping, proved to be false.

Where's that from? A 'non-lethal kill' is nonsense.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Pretty much anything you can do to cause someone to die that doesn't involve you interacting directly with them, counts as an accident kill. The only real exception I can think of is pushing someone over a ledge.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Where's that from? A 'non-lethal kill' is nonsense.

Check the last set of featured contracts. "Stunt Doubles" "I dream of genie" and uh.... there's another one too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The little image they released with the ET seems to indicate that accidents from falling or drowning are okay. I assume dropping a chandelier or hay bale on him is also okay.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Discendo Vox posted:

Join me on a magnificent cringefest, won't you?

It's incredible how badly the game's development was bungled-the whole design was partially built, scrapped and redone several times. We dodged getting a whole slew of things that were many times worse than Absolution as it was delivered. And this is the account written by the devs trying to make the game look good.

I'm only 5 minutes into this video and poo poo I'm glad IOI got their heads out of their asses. Homeless 47 physically modeled after Jeffrey Combs from The Frighteners jesus christ

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I'm only 5 minutes into this video and poo poo I'm glad IOI got their heads out of their asses. Homeless 47 physically modeled after Jeffrey Combs from The Frighteners jesus christ

Also, having 47 kill Diana.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Man the amount of specific guard dialogue is bananas. I just killed the Sheikh in front of his guard and the guard went "The Sheikh is down!" And earlier in Marrakesh I was in that little control room where you drop the moose from, and a guard spotted me and specifically called out that he had found me in the control room, even though its just a tiny little closet of a room.

Chexoid fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 11, 2017

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

I started undercover in Paris as one of the stylists and the guards by the staircase called me a pussy and told me to get a man's job. Darling I'm loving gorgeous. :bigtran:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Chexoid posted:

Man the amount of specific guard dialogue is bananas. I just killed the Sheikh in front of his guard and the guard went "The Sheikh is down!" And earlier in Marrakesh I was in that little control room where you drop the moose from, and a guard spotted me and specifically called out that he had found me in the control room, even though its just a tiny little closet of a room.

I know it's incredibly silly to be impressed by this but: I was running away from combat and ducked in cover behind a bunch of random-rear end dumpsters, and a guard shouted "He's over there, by the dumpsters!!" and another guard said "On it, cover me!" and I had to pause the game because it just took me by such surprise. So few video games actually do stuff like that, where the guards talk to each other and you can hear it. I remember back in the day being blown away by Need for Speed because the police radio announcer lady would actually say what streets you were on.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Well, again, like half the Absolution team was fired. They clearly had no strong design oversight, and just would not stop prototyping out entire parallel systems and levels with no thought to cohesion- a real Kojima-style shitshow. Wait till you get to the tv show bit.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

Join me on a magnificent cringefest, won't you?

It's incredible how badly the game's development was bungled-the whole design was partially built, scrapped and redone several times. We dodged getting a whole slew of things that were many times worse than Absolution as it was delivered. And this is the account written by the devs trying to make the game look good.

Jesus, they didn't have any sense of subtlety or restraint. They were all LET'S MAKE MUH EMOTIONAL SAD STORY and so you had the revenge obsessed 47, the homeless, destroyed 47, the tattoos, the exaggerated grit. They tried to do a game more focused on the story, but they thought hiring a proper professional writer wasn't needed, they could do it perfectly well.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

Jesus, they didn't have any sense of subtlety or restraint. They were all LET'S MAKE MUH EMOTIONAL SAD STORY and so you had the revenge obsessed 47, the homeless, destroyed 47, the tattoos, the exaggerated grit. They tried to do a game more focused on the story, but they thought hiring a proper professional writer wasn't needed, they could do it perfectly well.

Oh, they had a writer. Specifically, they had three writers, five people doing "additional writing", a scriptwriter, four people on additional scriptwriting, two people who wrote a "screenplay", and a separate dialogue writer. Only one of the dialogue guys, one of the scriptwriters and the third writer (who appears to have been brought in for damage control) is still with IOI. It looks like a publisher or a producer finally looked at it at the eleventh hour, :dogstare:'d and axed a ton of poo poo to get it out the door. The plot was rearranged several times, which is part of why it's so bonkers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Revealed the new costumes for Hitman:

http://i.imgur.com/e5hvIUD.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GpCs8y8.jpg

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Those both own no matter your opinion of Absolution.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Really, I just want IO to go full-on with costumes and allow you to disguise yourself as a woman, with nobody catching on.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I wish Absolution went more into the gritty glamour-y kind of aesthetic, but they only really touched on it a little bit. Honestly I love how that game looks, it's my favorite part of it. The intense color filtering looks great and gives it an almost grindhouse/pulp film feel. Say what you will, walking slowly toward the hotel in a popped-collar overcoat, hands-in-pockets, in the rain, felt great.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

poptart_fairy posted:

Really, I just want IO to go full-on with costumes and allow you to disguise yourself as a woman, with nobody catching on.

47 doing a high-pitched voice when he speaks with anyone, one of the targets tries to hit on you setting up an opportunity to get him alone

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

That Vegas suit rules

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thinking about getting the episodic hitman on PS4. Is that version of the game good?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
All versions are identical and run great.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
They also released a Pro support patch for it if you have that, but it runs pretty well on the standard model. I've only noticed framerate drops on one map and the odd audio stutter here or there, and I think the always-online requirement was recently patched out.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Hitman 2016 is my first one and I only picked it up on a whim because it was cheap, but goddamn I'm hooked. I didn't know about the whole episodic thing until about 5 minutes before I put the game in my Steam cart, and I wasn't really big on the concept at first, but now that I've sunk like 10 hours into Sapienza, I really like it! It's perfect for a game like this and makes what would normally be a $60 premium AAA title into a cheap budget game with plenty of expansions I can pick up whenever I have the cash. I'm a big fan of Metal Gear, but the stealth here feels completely different and figuring out how to sneak around in plain sight is mesmerizing.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

They also released a Pro support patch for it if you have that, but it runs pretty well on the standard model. I've only noticed framerate drops on one map and the odd audio stutter here or there, and I think the always-online requirement was recently patched out.

I play on PC, but judging from various Youtube videos, the only problem with consoles is doing extermination challenges on certain maps. Apparently it has problems with 200+ ragdolls on a map

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

poptart_fairy posted:

Someone earlier in the thread talked about how they wished there was a co-op Hit Man where one of the Hit Men was a Hit Woman with an entirely parallel set of disguises / area access, and while I thought it was a fantastic idea, this one might be better.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

poptart_fairy posted:

Should Lady 47 be obviously Agent 47, but with balloons strapped to his chest?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Just 47 in women's clothes, played entirely straight.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
e: ^^^ Or that.
No, they should make a coop lady hitman Diana.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

The Frank West method. :v: