Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I am so loving confused by that mirror, was it a stud issue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

why

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

quote:

My amazing boyfriend helping me hang a shower rod. I couldn't find an l-shaped rod I liked so we ran a 2x4 along the ceiling, and that's what the rod goes to. This was after he helped me texturize and repaint the bathroom. He's the best ????

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Zenna-Home-Rustproof-66-in-Aluminum-L-Shaped-Shower-Rod-in-White-for-Corner-Tubs-33941WW/205602187

?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I didn't see any sort of vapor barrier, just cement board with tile adhered directly to it. And an old section of roof on the other side of that uninsulated wall. No idea what that's going to do.

The tilework is obviously bad, they didn't use any sort of spacers and all of the flat tiled surfaces are uneven to boot. It's going to crack easily and moisture will get through the cracks.

Obviously there's not enough room adjacent the bathtub.

There's no shower curtain at the end of the tub. The poster claims no water gets that far, which is bullshit of course.

I didn't see any sort of vent, and there's also no window, which makes it not up to code in the US. There's going to be severe moisture problems in that room, maybe mold issues, sooner rather than later.

No idea if the tub is properly supported. Entirely possible that, when full, there's too much weight for whatever is under it. They're definitely on a second or higher story since the old closed-in roof is adjacent to the bathroom, so there's lots of room to fall down!

...I actually don't mind the mud-based flower sculpture thing. It's decorative. Probably won't last, but who knows. It's the least of the problems really.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a flower thing like that in my 70s house but it's just part of the awful wallpaper

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Holy Jesus that tiling.

It looks like someone built a wall lengthwise through a regular bathroom.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Should have built the room out of cinder blocks

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I can't pick out my favorite part of the whole mess, but one of the candidates is that it took 6 months to do that stupid garbage bathroom

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Even if this product didn’t exist, bending a tube isn’t rocket science.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

nyeeeeah

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
What that guy needs is professional building materials before making stalls in his bedroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTZemp8Yoaw

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Gegil posted:

What that guy needs is professional building materials before making stalls in his bedroom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTZemp8Yoaw

Hahaha, per the youtube comments they used 600 blocks.
A 26 pack is $154. You're looking at $3,600 or more in construction legos there.

Even slumlords subdividing places illegally don't spend that much, and their results actually look better.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

canyoneer posted:

That's electrical planning by grover :grovertoot:.

Y'know, I installed two outlets within 4' of each other into my workshop and briefly thought of Grover. But this is a workshop, dammit, there are valid safety concerns to having cords strung across gaps or running along my benchtop. Plus I don't really care about the aesthetic implications of having outlets everywhere.

(Also, it wasn't intentional, exactly, I just put outlets on adjacent walls near the corner and they ended up being close together)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lots of outlets is the one thing I can’t fault Grover for.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

canyoneer posted:

A 26 pack is $154. You're looking at $3,600 or more in construction legos there.

Even slumlords subdividing places illegally don't spend that much, and their results actually look better.

It does have the upside of not violating your lease if you're a renter.

I'm sure there are better, cheaper options, however.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

3/4" gaps are no problem for grout. Just backfill the space with some old newspapers and grout right over it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canyoneer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh8K6lFC4go
I'm the seductive swoosh at 0:32

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Grover?

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Abode That Shall Not Be Named

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What's the minimum clearance in front of a bathtub again?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

kid sinister posted:

What's the minimum clearance in front of a bathtub again?

At least three insulated-stair-step widths. Or 4 inches, assuming you can sign off on it yourself by being a Professional Engineer.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

That's great. Were there any pictures of all the outlets?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

knowonecanknow posted:

That's great. Were there any pictures of all the outlets?

Here is a general galery, but you can't see the outlets due to furniture: http://imgur.com/gallery/tI8ys

Here you can see he has at least three outlets above the kitchen cabinets. I have 3 outlets in my whole kitchen, and none of them are above the top cupboards.

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Doesn't look that bad to me. Did he have his own thread buried somewhere in archived? The :grovertoot: cracks me up now.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He couldnt get any electricians to sign off on his work so he went to get himself certified to sign his own lovely work off!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As far as I can tell, code does not limit how many outlets you can have on one circuit to prevent idiots from plugging stuff into all the outlets at once and overloading the circuit. Circuit design is supposed to take into account things like potential voltage drop, but there's no hard rule about numbers of receptacles exactly.

Code actually requires a certain number of outlets per room, because you're not supposed to have in most room types any spot on a wall that is more than six feet from an outlet. That means one outlet per 12 feet of wall (if you put it exactly in the middle). I think this requirement is to reduce the amount of cords running everywhere, which are tripping hazards in addition to fire hazards.

Code also requires a certain number of independent circuits in kitchens, because there are multiple appliances that are supposed to have dedicated circuits. From a random website citing 2010 code:

quote:

In the kitchen and eating areas every counter space wider than 12 inches must have a GFI protected plug, in general all kitchen counter top plugs should be GFI protected. Countertop receptacles shall be installed so that no point along the wall is more than 24" measured horizontally from a receptacle outlet in that space. Peninsular bars and islands 12" or wider shall have at least one receptacle. Exception: Tennessee Code in dwelling unit’s section states, “The installation of receptacles for island counter spaces and peninsular counter spaces below the countertop shall be optional.

At least two 20-ampere branch circuits are required to feed receptacle outlets for small appliance loads, including refrigeration equipment in the kitchen, pantry, breakfast room, and dining room. These circuits, whether two or more are used, shall NOT supply anything other than receptacles in these areas. Lighting outlets and built-in appliances such as garbage disposals, hood fans, dishwashers, and trash compactors are NOT permitted on these circuits.

Kitchen counter top receptacles must be supplied by at least two small appliance branch circuits.

So you need at least two circuits; but if you have built-in appliances like a dishwasher or disposal, that takes at least a third. Lighting would not be on any of those circuits, so your kitchen lights should be on a third or fourth circuit. And you are supposed to have a lot of outlets along the countertops, with no maximum, although the minimum on a long counter would be one in the center of every four-foot section. Three or even four on a long counter is totally fine and actually quite useful to have a bunch of stuff plugged in, like a coffee maker, microwave oven, toaster, waffle iron, etc.

Groverhaus was dumb and bad in a lot of ways, but having a lot of outlets wasn't really one of them. At least, it wasn't against code. National code. I have no idea what his local code might have been, and he might have violated local electrical codes for all I know.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I didn't see any sort of vapor barrier, just cement board with tile adhered directly to it. And an old section of roof on the other side of that uninsulated wall. No idea what that's going to do.

I think that was my favorite part. Shove a bunch of insulation under the tub, but don't bother to put any in the wall leading to the roof.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Facebook Aunt posted:

Here you can see he has at least three outlets above the kitchen cabinets. I have 3 outlets in my whole kitchen, and none of them are above the top cupboards.

That actually used to be a thing in kitchens in the 1950s-70s. There would be a single recessed outlet mounted in the soffit above the kitchen cabinets. You win a cookie if you can figure out what it was for.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

That actually used to be a thing in kitchens. There would be a single recessed outlet mounted in the soffit above the kitchen cabinets. You win a cookie if you can figure out what it was for.

Clock?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister posted:

That actually used to be a thing in kitchens in the 1950s-70s. There would be a single recessed outlet mounted in the soffit above the kitchen cabinets. You win a cookie if you can figure out what it was for.

Christmas lights?

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Wall mounted phones.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bingo! Plug in clocks fell out of favor once alkaline batteries came on the market and could hold over 10 times as much power as the older zinc-carbon batteries, and so did their specialized outlets.

vvv that too

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 11, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

Bingo! Plug in clocks fell out of favor once alkaline batteries came on the market and could hold over 10 times as much power as the older zinc-carbon batteries, and so did their specialized outlets.

More importantly, quartz oscillators.

Even if you had batteries with infinite energy, counting mains cycles is by far the most attractive timekeeping method before the quartz revolution, so they would have plugged in regardless.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 11, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

As far as I can tell, code does not limit how many outlets you can have on one circuit to prevent idiots from plugging stuff into all the outlets at once and overloading the circuit. Circuit design is supposed to take into account things like potential voltage drop, but there's no hard rule about numbers of receptacles exactly.

I haven't looked at the actual code, but I was doing some research on this awhile back and found a rule of thumb of a) counting each outlet as a 1.5A draw, and b) stopping when you'd hit 80% of the capacity of the circuit. So a 20A circuit could have at most 10 outlets on it (10 * 1.5 = 15, less than .8 * 20).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Not bad as a rule of thumb, and I've seen others like that, but not a matter of code where you'd fail inspection because you had 12 outlets on one branch or something. You can overload a circuit with a single outlet if you plug in enough draw to it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I willfully added outlets above my kitchen cabinets at my last house, which was built in '06. But, I tied them into the switch for the light over the sink and put in under-cabinet lighting, and made the outlets half-switched, and didn't install them every 4.5" or whatever like Groverhaus. Instead, I had just one over each block of cabinets, and had them down low so they aren't visible at all unless you're tall or go looking for them. It worked out fantastically well and said lighting was a major attractive feature for the eventual buyers. A+ would install outlets over cabinets again. But how many do you fuckin' need, for real, sheesh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Oh man, there are people with real knowledge ripping her apart in the Reddit thread and then the rest of the comments are just "man you guys are so negative"

Also she said she plans on tearing it down in 5 years so she doesn't care if it falls apart.

quote:

[–]Siray 273 points 10 hours ago*
Agh! You're one of those people! It's taken me 5 years to remove the work done by the previous homeowner at my house. Not to be a dick, but to be critical, I see the following:

No waterproofing, super narrow and awkward area next to tub, crazy amounts of drywall...well, everything, tile put up with no spacers, base tile leaning out on the tub rim because it has a lip and you didn't account for that...I could go on and on.

Sometimes even with a can do attitude, it's best to just not.

edit: I'm not done. The little "table", the tile one the end of the tub, the tiny space for the toilet and the sink. It's all a disaster. This is one of those rooms that when a future buyer walks in they go "What the f...?" and then wonder what other ghetto things have been done to the house and what's hidden behind those walls. The "Tetris" wall...just don't. Do it right or don't bother doing it at all because the outcome is this.
I know I sound like a total dick but if you were a realtor or a buyer wouldn't you say the same? This is crap work.

edit 2: Still not done. Guarantee the flower is still soft and when it hardens, it's going to crack and come off in pieces. Carpet that's been soaking in piss for 30 years? Did you check the sub floor for damage? The area where the rock board meets the wall isn't at the same depth. There's no finishing/trim tile on anything. The alcove for the soap has no slope on the shelf so water is going to pool in there then eventually leak onto the roof (why the hell is there a roof there) and into whatever room is there. Potential for mildew and mold just increased. All of the drywall and mud work was all, "Ho hum, there's a hole I'll just patch it with mud or cover it with tile". The shower rod? What the hell is that going to do? The end where the toilet is will still be exposed. Go on the drat internet and order the part you need.

Listen. I bought a house built in 1925 that has had band aids and poo poo work like this done on it for almost a hundred years. The tile was glued to the wall in the bathroom with liquid nails and the columns on the front porch had rotted out at the base (6x6 that hold up the roof). The previous owner just built a form and poured concrete to fill in the damaged area. This is the kind of poo poo I've had to deal with. If you're going to own a home and do things to it, by all means, do it. But do it right, folks. Did it cost more to rent jacks and change out all four posts on my front porch and buy brand new 6x6x8 posts? Yes. It'll last and it's not going to come apart. Did taking the time to line tiles up (over a thousand) and make sure grout lines ran together in my bathroom? Yes. Months and months (tub to ceiling in the shower area, four feet up the walls all the way around - subway - beautiful but oh man did I want to kill myself). So that's it. This will be my last edit as I have to head into work.

Keep those hammers swinging and saws a'whirling guys and gals AND DO IT THE RIGHT WAY.

Edit3 (I know I said I wouldn't): Here ya go for all of you calling me out...my bathroom:
The beginning: http://i.imgur.com/lCjxfXW.jpg
Getting there: http://i.imgur.com/PEXbEwL.jpg

quote:

[–]Thecardinal74 70 points 10 hours ago
...but if she plans on living there for 20+ years and she loves it, then it's a good investment in her own well-being, is it not?

https://www.reddit.com/r/DIY/comments/5n45po/i_remodeled_my_tiny_bathroom_and_its_now_my/

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Center the mirror over the sink? Naah, let's put it centered between the sink and toilet.
I know the perfect place for the only electrical outlet in the room. On the wall opposite the vanity, 6 feet off the ground. That's electrical planning by grover :grovertoot:. Although at least he would have put 5 or 6 others in the room and one of them might be in a useful place.

Literally form over functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Looking for education here, not vindication - When people are criticizing the lack of moisture barrier in that bath, are we talking about vapor barrier on the exterior wall, or a product like Redgard on every wall of the shower? Because while redgard certainly isn't a bad idea, it doesn't strike me as like, a disaster not to use. I've demolished more bathrooms in my life than I can count, and have literally never seen Redgard in the wild.