Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
War and war, satantango and melancholy of resistance are all solid 5/5.

How about them bela tarr movies though? I haven't seen em but just ordered wreckmeister harmonies (based on melancholy of resistance). Thinking of it as a sort of warm-up for satantango. Worth it?

Jerome Agricola fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

ulvir posted:

this year will be the year that I read krasznahorkai

me too. I'd also like to read The Tale of Genji, Terra Nostra, and Against the Day this year. It'll be a challenge but I believe in myself.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

that guy thinks American Gods was really good and clever

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

fridge corn posted:

I think it's a lady.

But anyway, I already found that website, just wondering if goons have any particular recommendations.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Read Pedro Páramo you mofos.

Earnestly
Apr 24, 2010

Jazz hands!

fridge corn posted:

... was it not good and clever?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I started rereading it again when the trailer for the tv series came out, and it turned out pretty tiresome.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i posted this earlier in the thread but i think the only two notable things about it were how clearly it's a comic book script turned into a novel (or gaiman has no idea how to write novels, i haven't read anything else by him) and how bungled the entire idea of american gods made flesh is. the passage with the taxi driver was really good though except for the incessant need to hypersexualize everything. it's not art if it doesn't end with two dudes blowing each other or a goddess eats someone with her vagina.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I personally think American Gods was a fun book if not amazing and I think the TV show will probably follow that characterization.

Along those lines, someone was asking about The Shadow of the Wind earlier. I can't say it's a fantastic book that really made me think, but drat if it wasn't a lurid and melodramatic page-turner - and that's what I think it was trying to be. The prose is a little purple - which may have been an effect of the translation - but it fits into that gothic/romantic pulp tradition very nicely.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chamberk posted:

Mel I'm starting The Snow Child which you recommended earlier this year. It's pretty good/bleak so far.

Yeah it's one of my favs. She has a new one I haven't gotten to yet.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

david crosby posted:

me too. I'd also like to read The Tale of Genji, Terra Nostra, and Against the Day this year. It'll be a challenge but I believe in myself.

Terra Nostra is great

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Pentaro posted:

Read Pedro Páramo you mofos.

this book owns & you can read it in like an hour

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Chamberk posted:

Mel I'm starting The Snow Child which you recommended earlier this year. It's pretty good/bleak so far.

i also read it based on mel's rec. it is very good

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

david crosby posted:

Good luck. Against the Day is taking me forever because it's so dense.

Earnestly posted:

... was it not good and clever?

Sandman is so much better.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

fridge corn posted:

i think she gave a glowing (or close to it) review to every book because not to upset ppl from that country

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Terra Nostra is great

Uh oh.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Burning Rain posted:

i think she gave a glowing (or close to it) review to every book because not to upset ppl from that country

Lol oh dear

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

david crosby posted:

I want to get through Mason & Dixon this year. Against The Day is probably going to be the one I leave for last, unless he releases a book this year.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

:(

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Franchescanado posted:

I want to get through Mason & Dixon this year. Against The Day is probably going to be the one I leave for last, unless he releases a book this year.

You...don't have any reason to think he will, do you? Have I somehow missed the signs?

grabs entrails, chalks a circle

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

He's probably right on that one, despite his other opinions

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm halfway through Genji and it's still getting better but remains wildly incoherent

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm reading Pynchon's Slow Reader compilation of early stories. Apparently, he also thinks Crying of Lot 49 isn't very good.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

It's not. comparatively

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

mdemone posted:

You...don't have any reason to think he will, do you? Have I somehow missed the signs?

grabs entrails, chalks a circle

For an author that likes writing novels with patterns, he seems to release 2 short novels then a big novel, and we haven't has a big one since Against The Day.

Really it's just wishful thinking.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Franchescanado posted:

For an author that likes writing novels with patterns, he seems to release 2 short novels then a big novel, and we haven't has a big one since Against The Day.

Really it's just wishful thinking.

He's also getting up there and he might just be out of ammo for the big guns. Couldn't blame him if he just had fun with Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge type of novels until hanging it up.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

So Marlon James is writing a fantasy trilogy.

http://ew.com/books/2017/01/10/marlon-james-dark-star-fantasy-trilogy/

It's literally for 12-year-olds.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Sounds pretty rad to me.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

It will be bad, but possibly less bad than fantasy written for adults.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It is actually extremely cool and good that a black author is making a fantasy trilogy based on African mythology to shut up his dumb friend who didn't want black hobbits

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

so basically fantasy Rashomon

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I finished Moby-Dick. It was good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

im glad he honed his craft by writing boring poo poo for practice before turning to the cool genres

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

It is actually extremely cool and good that a black author is making a fantasy trilogy based on African mythology to shut up his dumb friend who didn't want black hobbits

What this guy said

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
I'm looking for books with unreliable narrators, preferably ones that are somewhat "weird" along the lines of Kafka. Did Nabokov do any unreliable narrators other than in Lolita or Pale Fire?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Man is fallible. Are not all narrators unreliable, in the end?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Slackerish posted:

I'm looking for books with unreliable narrators, preferably ones that are somewhat "weird" along the lines of Kafka. Did Nabokov do any unreliable narrators other than in Lolita or Pale Fire?

I can't think of a story of his with a reliable narrator.

For Next Nabokov, I'd suggest Ada.

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Slackerish posted:

the good soldier

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Slackerish posted:

transparent things is weird and short and very good, you could basically read burroughs' entire bibliography too depending on your tolerance for his eccentricities like his cut up technique or digressions about the pros and cons of mummification ('Perhaps a mummy's best friend is an Egyptologist: sealed in a glass case, kept at a constant temperature . . . but your mummy isn't even safe in a museum. Air-raid sirens, it's the blitz!') place of dead roads is about an association of gay cowboy assassins trying to bring america to its knees and invent space travel, told from the point of view of a time traveler who has a lot of gay sex and shoots a lot of guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Slackerish posted:

A Prayer for Owen Meany (J. Irving),
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me (R. Farina),
Mother Night or Cat's Cradle (K. Vonnegut)
The Toy Collector (J. Gunn)
My Name Is Red (O. Pamuk)
Any book by Daniel Handler