Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Plus his logic is pretty sound. "I don't have experience fighting Doom, so I'll bring in the experts, who are all powerful heroes in their own right". It makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chaos Hippy posted:

How is that blowing slots? They're kind of handy to have around when you're stuck in a weird extradimensional clusterfuck.

Iron Man and Lizard are the only ones who do a drat thing during the entire crossover.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I do dig that Spidey's logic for bringing Storm was that she had the hugest power level of the whole X-Men team. ...and that weather powers would totally be enough to beat THE BEYONDER...

But he also blew 4/7 team slots in the entire Fantastic Four.

"Weather control will be power enough to defeat the Beyonder. "

Spidey there is this guy. He's called Thor. Not only can he create and disapate storm's (which is hands down the best uses of controlling weather) but he's about as strong as the Hulk. And he's got a magic hammer. Chose him.

So on that note Ghost Rider, Thor and Black Panther were probably the biggest characters who didn't show up on 90's Spidey.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't remember Hulk showing up, despite having his own show and appearing often on the FF cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I just watched the Killing Joke movie that Azzarello's credited for writing (the parts that aren't verbatim from Moore, obviously). No thanks.

Good lord, I've never seen such a blatant example of the road to hell being paved with good intentions. I understand wanting to address the criticisms of how Babs is treated in the original book, but, frankly, this is a case where they pretty much needed to let it stand on it's own, warts and all, because every step they take to try and 'fix' things just makes the whole endeavour come off as about 5 times more sexist. Because the issue was Moore was too SUBTLE about the sexual assault elements of the story, so let's have generic mobster #3 try to drug and rape Batgirl. Let's then victim blame Barbara AND have the well-publicised super-creepy fight/sex scene with Batman.

Oh, and it must've taken Azzarello all of 20 seconds to write Sassy Gay Friend.

Good god, I only watched the thing because Amazon had it up for their 99p rental thing over the holidays, but jesus christ...

The parts that are just the book's story are well done for what it is, and Hamill and Conroy do a good job with the dialogue, and hell, Tara Strong does what she CAN with what they give her, but gently caress, I'm not even sure anyone involved with the production, not Azzarello, not Sam Liu, not Dini or Timm have ever even MET a woman after that.

Oh, and the 'stinger' is the most eye-rolling thing I've ever seen.

Cross-posting from the DC thread, because I forgot this one even existed but I needed to vent about this piece of poo poo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel like I remember hearing that there was a bigger X-Men crossover planned?

Spidey definitely ended up in an episode (or maybe it was a two-parter) of the 90's X-Men show, so maybe?

Gaz-L posted:

Cross-posting from the DC thread, because I forgot this one even existed but I needed to vent about this piece of poo poo.

I'm sorry you subjected yourself to that. It really was very bad.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

Spidey definitely ended up in an episode (or maybe it was a two-parter) of the 90's X-Men show, so maybe?

I don't think Spidey ever appeared in the X-Men series (well, except for some really gratuitous cameo where he webs someone to safety, but you only see his hand in it), but the X-Men certainly did appear in at least two episodes of Spider-Man's series. And there might have been solo appearances on Spidey's show as well.

quote:

I'm sorry you subjected yourself to that. It really was very bad.

Even Mark Hamil really isn't that good in it.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't remember Hulk showing up, despite having his own show and appearing often on the FF cartoon.

Yeah, Hulk was strangely isolated from the other shows running at the same time. He got a couple of the guest stars Spidey missed, though I can only recall Ghost Rider at the moment. I think Iron Man showed up at one point, but he's not one Spidey missed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Even Mark Hamil really isn't that good in it.

Conroy and Hamil are great at what they do but when the voice director says "scream this line angrily even though it was whispered mournfully in the comic" there's not much you can do.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I made a video for my Youtube channel about the animation industry in 2016 and am so pissed I forgot to do a segment about how dire Killing Joke was. I saw it in the theater and still completely forgot it existed.

EDIT:
And I think Kevin Conroy is just straight up bad every time he's not directed by Romano.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Unmature posted:

And I think Kevin Conroy is just straight up bad every time he's not directed by Romano.

He was pretty great on Venture Bros.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Unmature posted:

And I think Kevin Conroy is just straight up bad every time he's not directed by Romano he's in something lovely.

Fixed it. If you look at some of the post DCAU movies with him, he's not that great, in fact he mostly just sounds bored. Same thing happens with Arkham Knight, which is probably the most disconnected Batman voice I've heard from him.. Then again he absolutely killed it in Venture Bros, so I'm guessing he's one of those actors who just needs a good script to make it work.

e: cleaned up a bit so it didn't read like a trump tweet with all the small sentences.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 12, 2017

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Yeah, I should say anything where he plays Batman.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Speaking of The Killing Joke movie

http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/01/11/batman-dates-barbara-gordon-in-new-lego-batman-movie-tv-spot/

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

The best DC movie in years is going to be a Lego movie and I am not even mad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I wonder if someone at WB is slowly realizing they could have just made a CGI, family friendly cinematic universe for the JLA in the first place and made a bajillion dollars without having to share the profits with Lego.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

purple death ray posted:

I wonder if someone at WB is slowly realizing they could have just made a CGI, family friendly cinematic universe for the JLA in the first place and made a bajillion dollars without having to share the profits with Lego.

If wb did it themselves it would probably suck tho

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

purple death ray posted:

site posted:

If wb did it themselves it would probably suck tho

I'm sure there are people with half of a functioning brain but unfortunately none of them are in charge. The fact that they are literally struggling to get a new Batman movie out of preproduction tells you all that you need to know about WB right now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm sure there are people with half of a functioning brain but unfortunately none of them are in charge. The fact that they are literally struggling to get a new Batman movie out of preproduction tells you all that you need to know about WB right now.

Every single movie Ben Affleck has directed has been a critical darling and his most recent was a massive financial success and won Best Picture. He got an Academy Award for screen writing in his early twenties, and his turn as Batman was probably the best received part of BvS, how hard is it to just hand him a decent budget and step back?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Every single movie Ben Affleck has directed has been a critical darling and his most recent was a massive financial success and won Best Picture. He got an Academy Award for screen writing in his early twenties, and his turn as Batman was probably the best received part of BvS, how hard is it to just hand him a decent budget and step back?

For Warner Bros.? Apparently impossible? I mean this is a company that continues to bank on Snyder and Co. after both MoS and BvS. "Good judgment" is clearly taboo at this point.

My pet conspiracy theory, in an attempt to rationalize this insanity, is that WB execs are trying to poison the well of comic book movies because they feel that Disney has too much of a head start to properly compete with at this point. So they will just throw poo poo at the wall, if it sticks and makes money, good, if it fails, maybe they could trigger a Cutthroat Island effect and crash the entire genre, allowing them to compete more easily in other areas (maybe they spent a bunch of money acquiring rights to non-comic properties but don't want to invest in them until the comic fad is over.) I kind of feel the same way about Fox with Fantastic Four and X-Men. Disney took a massive gamble with the MCU and it is paying off HUGE and jealously and egos do not mix well with large sums of money.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Skwirl posted:

Is not that easy

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2017/01/10/the-batman-is-not-ready-to-begin-production/#67b845f17e01

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What genre was Cutthroat Island supposed to have crashed?

Pirate movies? Water movies?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

What genre was Cutthroat Island supposed to have crashed?

Pirate movies? Water movies?

It's often credited with "killing" pirate movies until Pirates of the Caribbean, which was the first majorly successful pirate film since Cutthroat's release. Probably overblown since they are not 10 years apart and I do not know the rate of pirate film releases leading up to Cutthroat. But that is the generally accepted story, and true or not, I wouldn't doubt that there are executives that swear by it as gospel.

Stuff like this is probably why Disney doesn't let singular people take too much control over Marvel films. Does it alienate some directors? Yep. But at least no one can hold a film hostage while they deal with completely unrelated things. It's not conventional, and I know some more nerdy film types will view it as completely anti-"art", but considering so many passion projects fall flat on their faces, I am totally ok with the current Disney method. They have a main person show running the MCU, and they make the films based on the road maps provided. Can't work with the roadmap? Peace. It doesn't turn out films that will be studied for for decades, but most films made with the best of artistic intentions aren't either so I'm ok with dropping pretentiousness and just trying to make something enjoyable.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Like what was the last pirate movie before Cutthroat island? Hook? That didn't exactly rake it in.

If a movie's a huge flop it can't really kill a genre since it means no one saw it so their opinion of the genre will remain unchanged.

Now those Schumacher Batman movies, they definitely killed Batman, because everyone saw them and went "Batman sucks now".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

If a movie's a huge flop it can't really kill a genre since it means no one saw it so their opinion of the genre will remain unchanged.
Studios can get spooked about making more though.

Judging purely on lists on the internet there do seem to be a lot more pirate movies in 80s / early 90s than after Cutthroat Island.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

For some reason, DC is still stuck in the same mentality as if it was a decade ago when superhero movies were untested and unrespectable, and you have to make a big deal of being adult and serious and grown-up to be taken seriously in this day and age.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Studios can get spooked about making more though.

Judging purely on lists on the internet there do seem to be a lot more pirate movies in 80s / early 90s than after Cutthroat Island.

How many more years until another movie with "mars" in the title?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

How many more years until another movie with "mars" in the title?

Maybe The Martian broke that, I don't know.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
Did the Martian do well at the box office? I know it was pretty well-liked critically but sometimes that doesn't mean much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

ManlyGrunting posted:

Did the Martian do well at the box office? I know it was pretty well-liked critically but sometimes that doesn't mean much.

Exceptionally well: ~630M worldwide on a budget of ~110M.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ManlyGrunting posted:

It made over $600M worldwide. So yes.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ToastyPotato posted:

Stuff like this is probably why Disney doesn't let singular people take too much control over Marvel films. Does it alienate some directors? Yep. But at least no one can hold a film hostage while they deal with completely unrelated things. It's not conventional, and I know some more nerdy film types will view it as completely anti-"art", but considering so many passion projects fall flat on their faces, I am totally ok with the current Disney method. They have a main person show running the MCU, and they make the films based on the road maps provided. Can't work with the roadmap? Peace. It doesn't turn out films that will be studied for for decades, but most films made with the best of artistic intentions aren't either so I'm ok with dropping pretentiousness and just trying to make something enjoyable.

That's incredibly entitled. How desperate is the need for comic book movies that independent-minded artists become the enemy? They're movies, not life-saving medicines.

And I don't think you realize how hideously depressing your fantasy of corporate paternalism controlling superheroes is.

e: Also, Barbara Gordon is Batman's love interest in the Lego movie? Can't wait :getin:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 12, 2017

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

ToastyPotato posted:

Counterpoint: James Gunn.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's incredibly entitled. How desperate is the need for comic book movies that independent-minded artists become the enemy? They're movies, not life-saving medicines.

And I don't think you realize how hideously depressing your fantasy of corporate paternalism controlling superheroes is.

e: Also, Barbara Gordon is Batman's love interest in the Lego movie? Can't wait :getin:

Who said they are an enemy? Why does it have to be binary? And how is that system entitled? The people who OWN those properties are more entitled to having the movies made the way they are PAYING for them to be made than a random film maker is entitled to do whatever they want with other people's money and property. You are making it sound like some cold corporation is snatching movies from the artists who are trying to make them, which is pretty disingenuous. Disney owns the Marvel properties. Artists aren't entitled to make those movies. Disney hires people to make them. Film making is a profession that involves art, but its a profession. A job. You don't get to do whatever you want just because you call yourself an artist. That's very pretentious and entitled thinking.

Reinanigans posted:

Counterpoint: James Gunn.

Is it really though? He's doing what he wants, but he clearly isn't going against the grain either, or he'd be gone. If anything, he is currently the perfect example of how to do it. How to work and play in another person's sandbox while still doing your own thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ToastyPotato posted:

Who said they are an enemy? Why does it have to be binary? And how is that system entitled? The people who OWN those properties are more entitled to having the movies made the way they are PAYING for them to be made than a random film maker is entitled to do whatever they want with other people's money and property. You are making it sound like some cold corporation is snatching movies from the artists who are trying to make them, which is pretty disingenuous. Disney owns the Marvel properties. Artists aren't entitled to make those movies. Disney hires people to make them. Film making is a profession that involves art, but its a profession. A job. You don't get to do whatever you want just because you call yourself an artist. That's very pretentious and entitled thinking.

Is it really though? He's doing what he wants, but he clearly isn't going against the grain either, or he'd be gone. If anything, he is currently the perfect example of how to do it. How to work and play in another person's sandbox while still doing your own thing.

Well you claimed that Ben Affleck was holding the The Batman hostage. From whom? I'd assumed the audiences who'd enjoy another Batman Movie, but you've clarified that he is holding it hostage from Warner Brothers, the property holder. The former is at least vaguely understandable if silly; the latter is ridiculous.

Ben Affleck is acting out with a contract with a corporation. This involves producing and directing a movie as he sees fit. This is by all accounts part of the agreement. No one is being deprived, no one is subject to coercion.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The hostage line was clearly exaggeration (he doesn't have a metaphorical gun to the project's neck, to my knowledge), but my point still stands. Disney's system is one where film makers are invited to work on pre-established properties within a provided framework. If a film maker cannot work within the parameters then they are replaced. On paper it seems cold, but when you are spending hundreds of millions of dollars and these films are some of the most popular films being released, you do not exactly have time for artists to struggle through their vision of works where half the work is already done for them.

My comments with Batman specifically are based on the fact that Batman, of all comic characters, is probably one of the most relevant, popular, and well developed superheroes across almost all forms of media in the past couple of decades. Hell he is probably one of the most overdeveloped, well saturated fictional characters in the past couple of decades. So the fact that there is a struggle to even get a shootable script going is mind-boggling. Then you look at stuff like The Killing Joke and it is even more insane. The fact that an Oscar worthy film maker is struggling with Batman shows a complete lack of vision and leadership at WB and DC.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It says right there that Affleck is going through some poo poo and they're giving him some time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Batman is one of the most oversaturated characters in media, how in the World could someone have trouble with telling a story about him?

I think you knd of answered your own question there, mate. The problem is that you are, as you admitted, anti-art and are concerned with product-delivery efficiency.

Most tragically, the product concerned is superhero fantasies, in other words stories about larger-than-lite figures beating impossible odds.

Anti-Life is here.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Thanks so much you assholes who engage bravest lamp in conversation, because of you I had to read that loving post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Batman is one of the most oversaturated characters in media, how in the World could someone have trouble with telling a story about him?

I think you knd of answered your own question there, mate. The problem is that you are, as you admitted, anti-art and are concerned with product-delivery efficiency.

Most tragically, the product concerned is superhero fantasies, in other words stories about larger-than-lite figures beating impossible odds.

Anti-Life is here.

Anti-art accusations are boring and kind of ironic in that they tend to come from people who are "pro-art" but are also quick to dismiss the work of others as not being art.

Aphrodite posted:

It says right there that Affleck is going through some poo poo and they're giving him some time.

I don't follow celeb gossip, so I don't know what he might be going through and I hope it isn't something terrible. All I know is that he has been very busy professionally recently, including helping work on JL behind the scenes. And it shouldn't fall on him alone anyway. That's unnecessary. Again, I point to a lack of leadership and vision from the people running the show.

purple death ray posted:

Thanks so much you assholes who engage bravest lamp in conversation, because of you I had to read that loving post

Sorry? This is one of two threads I read in this subforum.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 12, 2017