Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Hadlock posted:

You want ivy bridge (x230) or better, big improvements in battery life started happening then. Get a model with the IPS screen. Avoid the x240 as it has a more terrible than usual trackpad.

Sandy bridge is as powerful as ivy bridge but you're looking at really old batteries (they do half a shelf life) plus poor battery life. Haswell is where battery life started to get seriously interesting and let me tell you, 8 hours real world battery life is ah-mah-zing, totally changes your outlook on how you use your untethered laptop.

Thanks for the tips. I haven't really kept up on processor development so that's good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Does anyone have the ASUS chromebook flip and note a problem with it shutting down randomly with use of "Alt + Tab" ?

I would say 10% of the time, my chromebook goes into sleep mode if I hit alt/tab. Is this a chromebook setting I can change or something?

I am asking here because I know there are several chromebook users in the thread, hope you guys don't mind.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

So I am currently looking around for a new laptop for my mother in law who pretty much only needs basic stuff. So basically her only requirements are "I need internet access, excel, Microsoft outlook, and some form of word document program", maybe a 15"+ screen. Obviously cheaper the better, anything in particular I should be looking at?

Would you be averse to a Chromebook? You'd get Web browsing, multimedia consumption, productivity apps with either Google Docs or Office.com (Microsoft's online stuff), a low price, and basically nonexistent maintenance and security issues (the solution to the latter two items is to click the "restart to upgrade" button in the bottom right corner when it appears.) You can get the Acer CB 15 with a 15.6" display, otherwise there are models with 14" or 13.3" displays if she can deal with a slightly smaller display.

The Monarch posted:

I'm looking for a recommendation for a laptop with a modern i3/i5/i7 processor, 12-14" screen and as large a resolution as possible, for $400 Canadian or less. I'm willing to buy refurbished or off eBay or whatever. I already have a fast desktop so I don't care about gaming performance. It's gonna be used mainly for programming, and I definitely want something with at least a 1280x800 screen, which is what my current old Macbook has. Ideally 1080p, but nothing less than what I have now. I'll mostly be using it when I have an outlet nearby, so battery life isn't a huge issue, but it would be nice if it wasn't very heavy since I'll be carrying it in a backpack all day.

Can you do your programming on a Chromebook? Either out-of-the-box, with a full Linux distro installed, or remoting into your desktop via CRD? If so, this will get you the price/performance ratio you're looking for and you can easily get a FHD display.

Doctor Party posted:

Does anyone have the ASUS chromebook flip and note a problem with it shutting down randomly with use of "Alt + Tab" ?

I would say 10% of the time, my chromebook goes into sleep mode if I hit alt/tab. Is this a chromebook setting I can change or something?

I am asking here because I know there are several chromebook users in the thread, hope you guys don't mind.

I have the 1st-gen Flip, but I've never seen that behavior (on any CB) although I use the 3-finger-swipe-up gesture instead of Alt-Tab on ChromeOS. That's not normal behavior though, and for weird hardware issues like that I recommend this procedure:
https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/3227606?hl=en
If that doesn't seem to fix it permanently, report the issue to Google using Shift-Alt-I.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

sincx posted:

Does the new Kaby Lake Dell XPS 15 (9560) have a fingerprint reader? Review sites say it does, but it's not listed as a feature on Dell's website.
Currently the answer is a tentative "yes. maybe." Its on the driver page and the CES demo unit, but its not on the description page or configuration page or order confirmation.We won't know for sure until we see the first retail unit arrive.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
That is kinda disappointing the XPS15 doesn't have the 1050ti, especially since the Inspiron 7000 gaming carries on. Hopefully some benchmarks will show up soon to see how big a deal this is.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It should be around a 30% deal depending on the application. DO keep in mind the regular 1050 is ~ 45W and the 1050ti is ~70W and that Inspiron has a much more robust cooling system. I'm not happy either but I'm coming from the XPS 15 before last with the 750M and even the base 1050 represents at least a 2.5x boost in graphics power for me which is something I'm not getting from a Thinkpad YOU HEAR THAT LENOVO YOU FUCKERS

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Of course you're not getting that from a ThinkPad - you're not getting it from a Latitude or EliteBook either

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is the T470p not going to come with a pascal GPU? The T460p comes with a 940mx

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Hadlock posted:

T470p also comes with a 940mx. It has GDDR5 ram this time if it didn't last time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There aren't any low-TDP 10x0 cards available. Not sure what Nvidias plans are but I wouldn't be surprised to see some more Maxwell rebrands at the low end of the 10 series

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

havenwaters posted:

T470p also comes with a 940mx. It has GDDR5 ram this time if it didn't last time.

Still choked to death by a 64 bit wide bus.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Seamonster posted:

It should be around a 30% deal depending on the application. DO keep in mind the regular 1050 is ~ 45W and the 1050ti is ~70W and that Inspiron has a much more robust cooling system. I'm not happy either but I'm coming from the XPS 15 before last with the 750M and even the base 1050 represents at least a 2.5x boost in graphics power for me which is something I'm not getting from a Thinkpad YOU HEAR THAT LENOVO YOU FUCKERS

My current laptop is a 2009 MBP, so pretty much anything is an improvement on that front. Guess I'll wait and see how things shake out, because the top end Inspiron 7000 doesn't look too awful and is a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CitizenKain posted:

Guess I'll wait and see how things shake out, because the top end Inspiron 7000 doesn't look too awful and is a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

I'm getting a Dell 7450 and Lenovo T450S next week, I'll compare them and let you know what I think about each.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

havenwaters posted:

What the gently caress

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Hadlock posted:

What the gently caress

What else were you expecting? There are no low-TDP 10 series parts

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm still rocking a Lenovo y410p from 2013 that has a geforce 750m. This is my machine for going to friends places and playing multiplayer steam games with them, and it works out great. No interest in getting anything higher specs than that at the moment, however the terrible 3 hour battery is now a terrible sub-2 hour battery 3+ years later, and so I'm thinking of getting a Chromebook to complement it and use as a little portable machine with high battery life for web browsing and streaming.

Anyone have any experience with refurbished Acers? I'm looking at the Acer 14 inch chromebook on their website and a refurb is only $200, seems to hit all the right notes. 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, 10-12 hour battery. Only downside is that it doesn't have any SD card slots, but I figure I can just live with that if I get a tiny USB flash drive and leave it plugged in for storage. The thing that makes me hesitate is the 90 day warranty for refurbs. Anyone ever run into any issue on one of these?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

arisu posted:

Anyone have any experience with refurbished Acers? I'm looking at the Acer 14 inch chromebook on their website and a refurb is only $200, seems to hit all the right notes. 4gb RAM, 1080p screen, 10-12 hour battery. Only downside is that it doesn't have any SD card slots, but I figure I can just live with that if I get a tiny USB flash drive and leave it plugged in for storage. The thing that makes me hesitate is the 90 day warranty for refurbs. Anyone ever run into any issue on one of these?

I think you'll be fine with an Acer refurb. CBs are generally reliable and often don't have any moving parts, so I wouldn't have reservations about buying an Acer 14 for $200. It's a pretty good system, with a premium-feeling metal build and a decent display. You definitely want to make sure you get the one with the FHD display and 4 GB of RAM. The N3160 is just powerful enough for general use (don't open up several dozen tabs and you'll be fine) while being power-efficient enough to yield great battery life. If you really need local storage you can indeed use one of those low-profile USB flash drives, but you should give Google Drive storage a shot; you're going to be networked all the time anyway, and you can probably manage with remote storage.

The only thing I'll point out is that the Acer 14 is probably going to be a little bigger than you'd expect. It's not huge by any means, and is still only a 14" laptop, and Acer makes an even bigger 15.6" CB, but most CBs are in the 11.6-13.3" range so this Acer just seems big by comparison. You'll still like it, though, and when you remember you only paid $200 for it you'll like it even more! (People will ask you about it and think it cost way more than it actually did. It really does make a good entry-level CB, for someone who isn't quite sure whether or not to commit to a higher-end HP 13, Pixel, Dell 13, etc.)

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Sounds pretty great. I'm definitely leaning on picking one up, back before I bought my Lenovo I was considering an ultrabook for portability and battery but instead went with power. Don't regret my choice but with Chromebooks as mature as they are now, I can definitely get a second device and have my cake and eat it too.

I'll definitely be using the cloud storage, but I still like having local storage readily available, especially if I'm in a place without wifi (mostly thinking of airplanes, I'll probably do a bit of traveling this year). Is OneDrive integrated well with Chromebooks? My work gave me an Office 365 subscription so I got 1tb of space to work with there. Can you use that in place of Google Drive on the Chromebook?

EDIT: Also I heard ChromeOS can now run Android apps? Does that work well? I imagine some of the apps would look pretty weird, but it sounds fairly interesting.

pezzie fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jan 13, 2017

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015
So I got the Gigabyte Aero w/ the 1060, and it's a really amazing computer. Super glad that I went for it in the end - super thin, really fast, and super reasonable price for what it is. I also actually like the keyboard waayyy better than my old Macbook Pro laptop, or any laptop -- it feels the closest to a mechanical keyboard of any laptop I've used. Just super nice having a computer which works so well!

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Fusion Restaurant posted:

So I got the Gigabyte Aero w/ the 1060, and it's a really amazing computer. Super glad that I went for it in the end - super thin, really fast, and super reasonable price for what it is. I also actually like the keyboard waayyy better than my old Macbook Pro laptop, or any laptop -- it feels the closest to a mechanical keyboard of any laptop I've used. Just super nice having a computer which works so well!

I got a Razer blade GTX 1060 from the Microsoft store with the $99 warranty. It's amazing how far mobile gpus have gone. I was going to get an external gpu enclosure but I don't think I need to get one for a couple of years. The 1060 can play mostly every game on ultra at 1080p including Battlefield 1

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

arisu posted:

Sounds pretty great. I'm definitely leaning on picking one up, back before I bought my Lenovo I was considering an ultrabook for portability and battery but instead went with power. Don't regret my choice but with Chromebooks as mature as they are now, I can definitely get a second device and have my cake and eat it too.

I'll definitely be using the cloud storage, but I still like having local storage readily available, especially if I'm in a place without wifi (mostly thinking of airplanes, I'll probably do a bit of traveling this year). Is OneDrive integrated well with Chromebooks? My work gave me an Office 365 subscription so I got 1tb of space to work with there. Can you use that in place of Google Drive on the Chromebook?

EDIT: Also I heard ChromeOS can now run Android apps? Does that work well? I imagine some of the apps would look pretty weird, but it sounds fairly interesting.

Really happy with my cb14. Yeah, it's a bit clunky but it's still thin and light with great battery life. The screen is surprisingly good for such a cheap device and it's rare that I get annoyed at the viewing angles.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

According to notebookcheck.net the initial round of Dell XPS 15 will not come with a fingerprint reader. That's likely a build to order option and isn't available as part of the initial two models already available

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

arisu posted:

Google Drive is integrated with the file manager in ChromeOS, but you can use any remote storage that has a Web interface. OneDrive, Dropbox, etc., work exactly as if you went to, for example, onedrive.live.com and logged in right now on whatever PC you're using. I mean, at worst you'll be able to use both OneDrive and Google Drive.

There are a few Chromebooks that can currently run Android apps on their Stable channel (Google Pixel 2015, Acer R11, Asus Flip) with others upcoming and others still with this capability in Beta/Dev channels. I've posted about this recently if you want to check my history. It's pretty limited at the moment, so if you really want this capability now you'll have to get one of those aforementioned devices, otherwise just consider it an afterthought and wait a while until it comes to your device.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
I'm ready to replace my Lenovo Y510P that I use for gaming. It's about 3 years old with a GT750M and i7-4700MQ 2.4. What models should I be looking at in the $900-1500 range? Was there anything announced during CES in that range that hasn't released yet?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Any news on an upcoming surface pro 5? Im thinking a core-M/8GB/256GB would be perfect for a secondary touchscreen computer.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
All I can find for it is Rumors and Predictions.

Early 2017 is still what's being thrown around for a release window, probably around the W10 Creators update. Kaby Lake processor is pretty much a given. Maybe a 4k screen?

The Surface 3 and Pro 4 still exist as well. Depending on how the Pro 5 shakes out you might want too look into those to see if they fit your needs -- they'll probably be a fair bit cheaper.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kjermzs posted:

I'm ready to replace my Lenovo Y510P that I use for gaming. It's about 3 years old with a GT750M and i7-4700MQ 2.4. What models should I be looking at in the $900-1500 range? Was there anything announced during CES in that range that hasn't released yet?

If you've got a Micro Center near you, they've got some 15.6" laptops with 1070s for $1399, a 3GB 1060 for $999, and one 17.3" heavy-rear end Acer with a 6GB 1060 for $1199.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

All I can find for it is Rumors and Predictions.

Early 2017 is still what's being thrown around for a release window, probably around the W10 Creators update. Kaby Lake processor is pretty much a given. Maybe a 4k screen?

The Surface 3 and Pro 4 still exist as well. Depending on how the Pro 5 shakes out you might want too look into those to see if they fit your needs -- they'll probably be a fair bit cheaper.
I'm hoping for the refresh to have updated core-M with better than 4GB of ram. Thats *super* low for me. Surface Pro 4's with 8GB (i5/8GB/256GB) start at $1300, compared to $750 for the core-M (core-M/4GB/128). Gigantic difference for an extra 4GB of ram.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jan 15, 2017

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I would love to see a Surface Book 2 w/ a 1050ti in the Performance Base, but considering how much they neutered the 965m, probably wouldn't be any good anyway.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you've got a Micro Center near you, they've got some 15.6" laptops with 1070s for $1399, a 3GB 1060 for $999, and one 17.3" heavy-rear end Acer with a 6GB 1060 for $1199.

gently caress me, thanks a bunch! I don't have one near me but I have a coworker in Denver that can pick one up and ship it to me.

Does anyone have feedback on the quality of the screen on the 17" Acer? Is it the same resolution on a larger screen which would make it look worse? I don't really care about its size/weight. 99% of the time it will be in a small suitcase I drive around with for overnight work.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kjermzs posted:

gently caress me, thanks a bunch! I don't have one near me but I have a coworker in Denver that can pick one up and ship it to me.

Does anyone have feedback on the quality of the screen on the 17" Acer? Is it the same resolution on a larger screen which would make it look worse? I don't really care about its size/weight. 99% of the time it will be in a small suitcase I drive around with for overnight work.

I became a minor scholar on the Predator 17s because I was trying to help a friend replace her ancient laptop, and the $1199 price tag of the G5 model was extremely appealing, and she liked the idea of a home-bodied DTR. Then someone hit her and totaled her car, crippling her discretionary income for a while. :smith:

Anyway, there are two models of the Predator 17 - the G5 model, which is the one for $1199, and the G9 models. The G9 models come with a hot-swappable bay that can change between an optical drive and an optional tertiary cooling fan that supposedly doesn't help thermals much. It also comes with a full RGB keyboard, supposedly better exhaust fans, and a G-Sync screen. The G5 comes with neither a DVD drive nor the supplementary cooling fan, instead using standard exhaust fans, a fixed red/blue keyboard, and a non-GSync screen (both the G5 and G9 come with IPS screens). The other difference is that even though the G5 comes with an M.2 slot and evidently shares the same motherboard design as the G9s, people report that NVMe drives like the Samsung 950s and 960s don't work in the G5s, only the G9s. That tells me that they purposefully gimped support in the G5s, and I think someone ~wise~ in EEPROM hacking would have to compare the G5 and G9 BIOSes respectively and hack NVMe support into the G5's BIOS. As such, the G5 comes with an SATA M.2 drive - also, it has four SODIMM slots, but two of them are on the reverse/interior portion of the motherboard, and two are accessible via the laptop's 'upgrade door' - you can access the M.2, SODIMM slots, and the 2.5" drive bay without performing open-laptop surgery.

As for the screen, there are a handful of videos on Youtube that should show you the clarity - I was certainly impressed. Also, right before my friend got into her accident, I checked the BIOS files for the G5, and the most recent file mentions something about enabling G-Sync on the LCD, so if that's not bullshit...bonus, I guess? Also, the laptop carries a two year warranty that you can extend through the Acer website before its expiration.

If you're curious about other things, here's their subforum: http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Laptops/bd-p/predator-laptops

And here's what the 'upgrade bay' looks like (albeit a G9 model with a 'subwoofer' and twin PCIe M.2 slots - which are used to RAID 0 twin 128GB NVMe drives): http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/inside-acer-predator-17-g9-793-disassembly-internal-photos-and-upgrade-options/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jan 15, 2017

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

Google Drive is integrated with the file manager in ChromeOS, but you can use any remote storage that has a Web interface

There are actually extensions to the file manager in ChromeOS for at least onedrive, Dropbox and ftp servers. You can then access those services directly from the OS.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is anyone here familiar with "Clevo" laptops? I'd never heard of this brand but I found two reasonably priced Kaby Lake laptops on tweakers.net:
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/710263/clevo-n850hk1-met-gtx-1050-ti/specificaties/
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/710337/clevo-n850hj-met-gtx-1050/specificaties/

No user reviews yet. Apparently it's a fairly large Taiwanese company.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Thanks for all the info! I kind of wanted the new Kaby Lake processor to be in whatever I buy instead of the Sky Lake but in looking at the benchmarks it doesn't look like a large difference. Is there any large benefit to getting the newest CPU generation? Would the 6700HQ be the same as the 6700K? I couldn't find a 6700HQ or 7700HQ to benchmark on anandtech.com.

However the difference between the GTX1060 and the GTX 1070 is significant enough that the additional perks to the G9 are just icing compared to how much better the 1070 is.

It also says that the G9 has 1TB HDD + 256GB SSD RAID 0. Does this mean there are 2 128gb SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration? I don't know much about RAIDs, I did a quick google and that is my understanding.

Anything else I should take in to account? You've got me really excited to pull the trigger on this!

Edit: one more thought. The desktop thread has a hate boner for integrated Killer ethernet/wireless. Are there any issues with the Killer ethernet/wireless on the laptops that you know of?

Kjermzs fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jan 15, 2017

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

Is anyone here familiar with "Clevo" laptops? I'd never heard of this brand but I found two reasonably priced Kaby Lake laptops on tweakers.net:
https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/710263/clevo-n850hk1-met-gtx-1050-ti/specificaties/

Had one several years ago. Loud fans, cheap plastic, little chunky, but great performance per dollar. Clevo/sager has been around a long time as a laptop ODM.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ilkhan posted:

Had one several years ago. Loud fans, cheap plastic, little chunky, but great performance per dollar. Clevo/sager has been around a long time as a laptop ODM.

How long did it last before things started breaking? They look like exactly what I need but I'm concerned about poor build quality.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Clevo are fairly large and a lot of BTO companies like XOTIC, Sager, HIDEvolution, GenTechPC, Obsidian, Eurocom etc. use their shells. Clevo are generally known for fairly good build quality (solid good-but-not-great territory) and effective cooling solutions.

So their GTX 1060 / 1070 Skylake (P650RP / RS ) and KBL lineup (P650HP / HS) are pretty popular 15 inch gaming laptops. This is what they look like: http://www.hidevolution.com/evoc-p650hs-g-15-6-custom-built-gaming-laptop-w-nvidia-gtx-1070-w-g-sync.html

Generally the word on them for this Pascal generation seems to be solid quality, good cooling, very competitive pricing, but won't blow you away in the looks or premium feels / prestige department.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Does anyone make a mid-to-high end laptop without dedicated graphics?

I've been thinking about possibly replacing my lovely old Asus but I run Linux on my laptop so any Optimus system is effectively a waste of money and a non-Optimus dGPU is a waste of battery power. Unfortunately when I go looking for higher-end features it seems like a dGPU just gets assumed, even on the business models.

Is there anything out there worth looking at that has Thunderbolt 3, four cores, and capacity for at least 32GB of RAM without a dedicated GPU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

wolrah posted:

Does anyone make a mid-to-high end laptop without dedicated graphics?

I've been thinking about possibly replacing my lovely old Asus but I run Linux on my laptop so any Optimus system is effectively a waste of money and a non-Optimus dGPU is a waste of battery power. Unfortunately when I go looking for higher-end features it seems like a dGPU just gets assumed, even on the business models.

Is there anything out there worth looking at that has Thunderbolt 3, four cores, and capacity for at least 32GB of RAM without a dedicated GPU?

Dell Latitudes, perhaps?