Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's writing the movie, he's kind of needed for that.

He's been bouncing from big project to big project without breaks. Live by Night was a big passion project for him and it's getting poo poo on, and he's still going through his divorce.

How did this end up in the animation thread anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Lego Batman, through some twists and turns.

I think it's going to be good. No movie with Barbara and Bruce as an item can fail.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

at the time of this writing, 100 % of them did.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Aphrodite posted:

He's writing the movie, he's kind of needed for that.

He's been bouncing from big project to big project without breaks. Live by Night was a big passion project for him and it's getting poo poo on, and he's still going through his divorce.

How did this end up in the animation thread anyway?

Yeah, my bad on the derail. It started with making GBS threads on Killing Joke and praising Lego Batman, then I took a sideswipe at the current DCCU. It's my fault.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Lego Batman, through some twists and turns.

I think it's going to be good. No movie with Barbara and Bruce as an item can fail.

Director is saying on twitter that the ad is misleading and he hates the pairing.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Do not engage BotL.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Anyone sporting an unironic SFP avatar cannot be trusted when it comes to opinions on superheroes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Fuego Fish posted:

Anyone sporting an unironic SFP avatar cannot be trusted when it comes to opinions on superheroes.

it's not unironic

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

ToastyPotato posted:

Sorry? This is one of two threads I read in this subforum.

As someone above said, do not engage Bravest of the Lamps. Before you know it the thread is 2 pages longer and it's been 3 pages since anyone's said anything new.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Roth posted:

Director is saying on twitter that the ad is misleading and he hates the pairing.

He didn't say it was misleading, just that he didn't like the pairing either and told people to "just wait" when people said they wouldn't see the movie because of it.

Though, he also said that the movie should rank between Batman Forever and Batman and Robin for expectations. :v:

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Somewhere between entertaining schlock and unwitting masterpiece seems about right.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I never understand why people with a rep like BOL don't just spend the ten bucks on a new account and start fresh. Literally everything you say will be followed by a post saying "PLEASE IGNORE."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Some do, eventually. But if you still get one or two it's enough.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Unmature posted:

I never understand why people with a rep like BOL don't just spend the ten bucks on a new account and start fresh.

Some ask me why I keep my gimmick, and say that I have a lot of loyalty to a tainted username. I'm wondering if they know that I am not a comic book animation before throwing that question at me. At least someone talks to me honestly, and doesn't need to ask who I am. It doesn't matter who ignores who, what matters is the posts. No one cared who I was before I started shitposting. If I stopped, would it hurt? Yes, it would be very sad. "You're a grown rear end adult," you might retort. What I mean is sad for you.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Though, he also said that the movie should rank between Batman Forever and Batman and Robin for expectations. :v:

Well congrats to him, he got himself a Twitter post that will look stupid in hindsight. What's the next step in his master plan? Crashing the movie with no careers surviving?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I just wanted to talk about the Spider-Man/X-Men crossover from the 90's. You guys weren't kidding about the episode titles from Spidey's series. Neogenic Nightmare, Chapter IV: The Mutant Agenda. All it needs is a Turbo on there and it would put Capcom to shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn7JTb_VV74

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

SonicRulez posted:

I just wanted to talk about the Spider-Man/X-Men crossover from the 90's. You guys weren't kidding about the episode titles from Spidey's series. Neogenic Nightmare, Chapter IV: The Mutant Agenda. All it needs is a Turbo on there and it would put Capcom to shame.

Sweet Jesus. The Mutant Agenda.
Because the Homosexual Agenda was already taken.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SonicRulez posted:

It takes 1 minute for Spider-man to fail to escape danger by his spider-sense, get in a metal suit, meet and be threatened by the main X-Men team, threatened to be stabbed by Wolverine, flirt by Rogue, destroy that metal suit, web up the entire X-Men roster, destroy a huge metal door and try to escape the X-Mansion. Jesus.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is the next one "Neogenic Nightmare: Chapter V: The Mutant Agenda, Part 2"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He seems to slide up the chimney on his thigh like some kind of Slug-Man.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Is the next one "Neogenic Nightmare: Chapter V: The Mutant Agenda, Part 2"?

No, sadly. It's the Mutant Revenge.

Some of my favorites are
Partners in Danger: Chapter X: Lizard King
Sins of the Fathers: Chapter II: Make a Wish
Neogenic Nightmare: Chapter XII: Ravages of Time

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Tell me "Ravages of Time" is about Spidey meeting Ravage 2099.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Unpopular opinion: I finished (re)watching Young Justice today and I still like it. I probably like it more now than when I had to wait for episodes week to week. Season 1 definitely had issues with stupid catchphrases and "everything according to plan" moments, but those are almost entirely absent from season 2. Almost.

And yes, season 2 has the issue of having a ton of new characters who have absolutely zero characterization/plot growth (Wonder Girl especially) in favor of giving probably way too much to Blue Beetle, but overall the story was solid all the way through when you focus on what they did present rather than what was missing. The art style, characterization, and overall tone are all excellent.

I am thoroughly excited for season 3!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Toshimo posted:

Tell me "Ravages of Time" is about Spidey meeting Ravage 2099.

Not quite. Silvermanne and Fisk are having a little gang war for the Tablet of Time, some ancient aztec thingamajig. Spider-man and Curt Connors are caught in the middle of things as Fisk kidnaps Silvermanne's daughter and Silvermanne kidnaps Fisk's wife. There's supposed to be an exchange and someone is about to unmask Spider-man when all hell breaks loose in a lab with a mayan temple and Curt's science beam and the sunlight and everything is shooting off everywhere, Spidey's fighting Tombstone, poo poo's exploding, yadda yadda yadda Silvermanne becomes a Genius Baby, Fisk's wife dumps him and Tombstone sells the tablet to Adrian Toomes (who would then use it to get some Youth Absorbing tech and steal Peter's youth... ultimately leading to Toomes being stuck with the Man-Spider virus/dna thing and Peter young and normal)

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Not quite. Silvermanne and Fisk are having a little gang war for the Tablet of Time, some ancient aztec thingamajig. Spider-man and Curt Connors are caught in the middle of things as Fisk kidnaps Silvermanne's daughter and Silvermanne kidnaps Fisk's wife. There's supposed to be an exchange and someone is about to unmask Spider-man when all hell breaks loose in a lab with a mayan temple and Curt's science beam and the sunlight and everything is shooting off everywhere, Spidey's fighting Tombstone, poo poo's exploding, yadda yadda yadda Silvermanne becomes a Genius Baby, Fisk's wife dumps him and Tombstone sells the tablet to Adrian Toomes (who would then use it to get some Youth Absorbing tech and steal Peter's youth... ultimately leading to Toomes being stuck with the Man-Spider virus/dna thing and Peter young and normal)

That show loving owned :allears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Reinanigans posted:

Unpopular opinion: I finished (re)watching Young Justice today and I still like it. I probably like it more now than when I had to wait for episodes week to week. Season 1 definitely had issues with stupid catchphrases and "everything according to plan" moments, but those are almost entirely absent from season 2. Almost.

And yes, season 2 has the issue of having a ton of new characters who have absolutely zero characterization/plot growth (Wonder Girl especially) in favor of giving probably way too much to Blue Beetle, but overall the story was solid all the way through when you focus on what they did present rather than what was missing. The art style, characterization, and overall tone are all excellent.

I am thoroughly excited for season 3!

And another one sees the light.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It takes 1 minute for Spider-man to fail to escape danger by his spider-sense, get in a metal suit, meet and be threatened by the main X-Men team, threatened to be stabbed by Wolverine, flirt by Rogue, destroy that metal suit, web up the entire X-Men roster, destroy a huge metal door and try to escape the X-Mansion. Jesus.

The pacing of the 90s Spider-man cartoon was ridiculous. Everything moved way too fast with no time to breathe, and sometimes natural pauses in conversation were noticeably edited out so that the show could go go go.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The mutant agenda episode blew my mind as a kid because it was the first time I realized that they shared a universe. Then it clicked, "well of course if he's mutating he should see the X-Men!" That and Roger Rabbit cemented my love of basically all crossovers.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Lurdiak posted:

The pacing of the 90s Spider-man cartoon was ridiculous. Everything moved way too fast with no time to breathe, and sometimes natural pauses in conversation were noticeably edited out so that the show could go go go.

I binged through the show and it was probably the most stressful show I've ever watched. Far worse than Breaking Bad or whatever for this very reason. 90s Spidey was relentless!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I love how insane and fast the opening theme is. It's even more hectic than the x-men cartoon opening.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Metalshark posted:

I binged through the show and it was probably the most stressful show I've ever watched. Far worse than Breaking Bad or whatever for this very reason. 90s Spidey was relentless!

I honestly wish the show had better animation, less hectic pacing and not quite as much Fox-mandated censorship, because some of the stories are pretty decent adaptations of comic book stuff and the voice cast was great, but its problems make a lot rougher to rewatch than even X-men.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-Men is a really great show, it does drag a bit once you get into the later seasons where it's all alien races and everyone's in space all the time. We blew through most of it over a long weekend but couldn't quite make it to the end.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think the last season they outsourced the animation to Korea which led to a noticeable drop in quality.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

I honestly wish the show had better animation, less hectic pacing and not quite as much Fox-mandated censorship, because some of the stories are pretty decent adaptations of comic book stuff and the voice cast was great, but its problems make a lot rougher to rewatch than even X-men.

I remember when Spider-Man 3 came out a bunch of people saying it's impossible to do the venom story in less than two movies, and while I don't think that movie was a good version of it my response was always "bitch, the cartoon did a perfectly respectable version of it in 60 minutes."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I remember when Spider-Man 3 came out a bunch of people saying it's impossible to do the venom story in less than two movies, and while I don't think that movie was a good version of it my response was always "bitch, the cartoon did a perfectly respectable version of it in 60 minutes."

I mean that's not really true, Eddie Brock was built up for ages before he got the symbiote.

I do think the problem with the black costume story is that getting rid of it in the bell tower is basically the climax of the arc, having Venom show up after that in the same film feels kind of.. .foregone? Excessive? It's not about how much time is left in your movie, it's about plot structure.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
The cartoon has the symbiote come from a crashed rocket ship, right? But then it also did Secret Wars? I'm mis-remembering something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

The cartoon has the symbiote come from a crashed rocket ship, right? But then it also did Secret Wars? I'm mis-remembering something.

Secret Wars was really different and was part of the series finale. After several seasons of portentous hints about destiny and whatever, Madame Web introduced Peter to the Beyonder, who rigged the entire secret wars as a test of Spidey's leadership skills so he could later lead a team of Spider-mans from the multiverse to stop Spider-Carnage from THIS SHOW WAS SO STUPID OH MY GOD.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember that batshit insane stuff and I feel like Ben was there and Spidey met Stan Lee. All that. However, I also remember like the Dr. Doom stuff and the Fantastic Four were there. Was that all one massive crossover event?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I remember that batshit insane stuff and I feel like Ben was there and Spidey met Stan Lee. All that. However, I also remember like the Dr. Doom stuff and the Fantastic Four were there. Was that all one massive crossover event?

Yes. The Secret Wars story had Spider-man choose a bunch of allies to fight a group of villains who were chosen by Beyonder and let loose upon a completely peaceful planet. Then he fast-forwarded time one year and they had turned the planet into a Mad Max hellhole and carved out fiefdoms. Spider-man called in the FF to deal with Doom, Captain America to deal with Red Skull, Iron Man because he has lasers, Black Cat because he figured he might as well get some while he was stuck on this planet, and then he realized he had one spot left so he picked an X-man at random and landed on Storm.

Once Secret Wars wrapped up and Spider-man successfully defeated Spider-Carnage, he got to meet Stan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N9TIvIEnpA

As cheesy as this is, I often think about what Spidey says about how even fictional characters have to grow up sometime.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Man. All this Spider-Man TAS talk is making me want to try rewatching the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Dexie posted:

Man. All this Spider-Man TAS talk is making me want to try rewatching the series.

It gets old really quickly, especially with the re-used animation (particularly web swinging) and Spidey constantly getting baled out by guest stars. And how far they go out of their way to make sure Spider-Man never punches anyone.