Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
IMO a pizza steel is the holy grail when it comes to making pizza in your oven. A stone can't compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

parchment will catch on fire, but otherwise you should see smoke well before anything terrible.

There was that one time my oven went over 1100 degrees and the plastic handle melted off as I went to take out the pizza :black101:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I want to break my cleaning cycle lock, but stupid rentals.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Okay so what's a good pizza steel that's not too expensive?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Okay so what's a good pizza steel that's not too expensive?

I have this one (the ⅜" model). poo poo is heavy.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBKWSGC/

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have this one:
https://smile.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Rectangular-Baking-Kitchen-Barbeque/dp/B00RWSYBDA

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Replying to myself:

After doing some reading, Kenji says stone+ steel is good, but steel+ broiler is best.

Will experiment and report back.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
A pizza in 4 steps.

Once I learned to how scoop out a dough ball and turn it out properly, my pizzas have improved quite a bit.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Recent batch of pizzas

These two were baking steel/broiler

This one was obviously baked in a cast iron pan

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Steel and broiler is supreme. Made eight small pizzas, all delicious.

Making sausage rolls tomorrow. Will take pics.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have advice on, like, making pizza less dense? Is it a matter of using not enough water? I just did one with 70% hydration and it was really soft and pliable but when I made it, it was pretty dense when I ate it and sort of gave me a mild stomachache. I'll post pics in a bit.

I was using the broiler method which I had never used before and I think I took it out too early because I thought the cheese was burning and I mean I guess it was but I should have left it in longer to cook fully either way.

It was a same-day dough so I made it at like 4, let it rise for a couple hours, then punched it down and formed it into pizzas at around 6 and then ate it. Maybe I should have punched it down then let it rise for another hour or something before using it?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Pics

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 20, 2017

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Are you using any kind of stone? Your dough looks like it's still a bit raw. A broiler cooks the top really quick since it's direct heat. The bottom of your crust is cooking from radiant heat without a stone so it's cooking slower. Think of the cheese and sauce as an insulation layer since there is a lot of water between them. Any dough under the toppings isn't getting much heat off the broiler. A preheated stone or steel will apply direct heat to the bottom of your crust.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yep I'm using a steel that I preheated in a 550 oven for 90 mins

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Hmm, how are you making the dough? I do a steel in a 550 oven on bake with dough that's generally 60-75% hydrated. I'd say the two variables to look at are cooking method or dough technique.

Try the dough you are using with the steel in the center rack, preheated, and the oven on bake instead. You're doing what I do in terms of equipment and preheating, so that's plenty of heat for the crust on the bottom, meaning it's probably not on the steel long enough. The only way to keep it on the steel longer is to slow down how fast you cook the top. I use the bake method and it comes out great. Don't focus too much on using a fixed method, look at all of the methods and see which works best in your oven.

The dough is less likely to be a problem, but I've found my doughs became much easier to work with when I switched from a kitchen-aid with dough hook to an autolyse and folding technique. It's pretty easy and I can form the pie a lot easier which means I don't wreck up the gas bubbles in the dough as much. This have given me better crumb in my crust. You should be able to find this method online. I learned it from the book "Flour Water Salt Yeast" by Ken Forkish which is a great book if you are interested in both pizza and bread.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
To be honest I really liked the char from the broilier, I've done it straight bake a million times and that's why I switched, with a normal 550 bake it took like 8-10 minutes to be done and have enough browning and the pizza would dry out in that time

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Lower the shelf by 1

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Well, to change the outcome we need to adjust a variable somewhere. Right now your stuck with good top and raw dough or cooked dough and burnt top. The abstract solutions are to increase the heat applied to the bottom, decrease the heat applied to the top, adjust distances from the heat sources, or monitor your heat cycle and adjust where in the heat cycle you put it in the oven.

To address those variables in a practical application you can:

Try lowering the steel to be further from the broiler to slow the top cooking time

Start with straight bake and finish with the broiler to better equalize the cook time requirements between the top and bottom.

Monitor your broiler cycle for temperature and time. Adjust where in the cycle you are putting your pie in until you find a sweet spot.

If I was having your issue in my oven and was dead set on broiling, I think I would preheat the steel on bake, switch to high broil to heat the element and apply some extra radiant heat to the top of the steel. Then I'd wait for the heating element to cycle off and slide in the pie. Then I'd switch the broiler to low to try to better equalize the finish timing for the top and bottom. I have an electric oven though, so the element keeps radiating some heat after it switches off, a gas oven might not apply as much direct heat to the top of the pie in the off-cycle.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I would advise cooking the pizza in a 550 oven and a bit before it's done, turn the broiler on high to finish it off and get the nice color you want on the top.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If the stone is really heated to 550, you won't have time to heat up the broiler. At 550 convection roast in my oven (which uses the top element), second rack from the top takes a pie 2-3 minutes to cook.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

Does anyone have advice on, like, making pizza less dense? Is it a matter of using not enough water? I just did one with 70% hydration and it was really soft and pliable but when I made it, it was pretty dense when I ate it and sort of gave me a mild stomachache. I'll post pics in a bit.

I was using the broiler method which I had never used before and I think I took it out too early because I thought the cheese was burning and I mean I guess it was but I should have left it in longer to cook fully either way.

It was a same-day dough so I made it at like 4, let it rise for a couple hours, then punched it down and formed it into pizzas at around 6 and then ate it. Maybe I should have punched it down then let it rise for another hour or something before using it?

Like others said, the dough does look a little raw, but I'm betting that's actually a symptom of the dough not being ready. It being that dense means that it takes more heat/time to actually cook through. You're using a good baking method, that usually results in the crust/cheese/toppings all being done at the same time. Exchange a dough that is too dense, and that explains your cheese about to burn, while the crust is still not cooked.

2 hours is way short for a dough. It's not enough time for the billions of little yeast cells to make enough little bitty air bubbles throughout the dough that not only make it less dense in the first place, but also expand during cooking, making the crust even less dense.

*CITATION NEEDED* on this, definitely, but the consensus in the pizza sperg community is that too short of a rise time also leads to the stomach ache that you described. I AM NOT A SCIENTIST, but the typical explanation is that yeast in the floury dough eats complex carbs, farts out CO2 and and poops simpler, smaller carbs. The "simpler carbs" are easier to digest. The longer you let the dough ferment, the more time the yeast has to eat the complex carbs and poop out simpler ones. To my layperson mind, this makes sense, and is born out by the fact that I can eat 3 of my own 13" pizzas that went through a 3 day rise and feel really loving full, but awesome, instead of wanting to die.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Four hours is plenty. My 1 day doughs go roughly: Combine 66% generic pizza dough ingredients, autolyse for 15 minutes, kneed, rest for a half hour, punch & preheat, goes in an hour later. I use warm water and instant yeast. There could easily be an issue with the shaping of the dough, too concentrated on the crusts. I'm assuming an underskirt shot of the pizza would be white/tan with no blisters which is too raw. There was definitely enough ferment time @ four hours as it doesn't read as a no kneed and under-cooking has resulted in the lead stomach OP is describing. The spring would probably be helped by a post punch ferment though.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay I'll try 4 hours next time. I was doing them overnight in the fridge in the past but I was having a problem where like, even if I took them out of the fridge in the morning when I got up, by the time it was dinnertime it was still way cold and much harder to stretch into a pizza so I was trying to just do it same-day instead. It could be that I just didn't let it rise enough like you said though. And yeah I was transferring it to a non-super cold bowl in case anyone was gonna suggest switching bowls (I did make that mistake of not doing that for a long time though)

Should I just like form it into a pizza shape then let it sit for a bit like that also so that there's sort of a final little rise that doesn't get messed with at all before it goes in?

I think also probably too much air got knocked out of it because when I was making it into a pizza it kinda got messed up and I had to like roll it back into a ball and start over, so that maybe just got rid of too much of the air that had been created

Underside definitely had blisters and was crispy and stuff

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 20, 2017

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If the stone is really heated to 550, you won't have time to heat up the broiler. At 550 convection roast in my oven (which uses the top element), second rack from the top takes a pie 2-3 minutes to cook.

I don't have convection bake, just the bottom element. Mine takes forever to cook at 550, even if I preheat it for like 2 hours.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think also probably too much air got knocked out of it because when I was making it into a pizza it kinda got messed up and I had to like roll it back into a ball and start over, so that maybe just got rid of too much of the air that had been created

Problem identified! Yup. You knocked all of the air out. If you do that, it needs to rise again.

As for opening the dough into a round and then letting it rise again, sure. Could be interesting to try to get a super airy crust that way, but better to just fix the original problem first.

4 hours of rising is definitely enough, but up to a point, the longer the better. You mentioned leaving it out all day after a night in the fridge and still being too cold. That seems crazy to me. If I left a dough out for 8+ hours it would be spilling out of the bowl looking like a horror film monster. What temp is your house at? If it's crazy cold, you can kick your oven on for a minute to get a little bit of warmth, then toss the bowl in.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

to prevent accidentally preheating your dough I'd advise microwaving a cup of water to a boil and using that as the chamber.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So maybe the dough was close to done after all and I confused lack of rising for rawness and it just needed a bit more time in the oven in addition to more rising time

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

uhh if the underside was crispy and you got that on top I wouldn't change the cook itself.

maybe one lower still.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I mean the bottom and top were cooked it was just that on the outer crust where it was thickest it didn't seem to cool all the way through

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
So supposing something happens and I have to punch the dough down and restart, like it tears or something, do I have to let it rise again for like hours, or would something like one hour probably be ok since I guess the yeast will have reproduced and then gotten redistributed?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've gotta be honest, you must be beating the poo poo out of the dough to get it that dense again. I roll out my dough with a pin when it is really tear prone (when I cheap out on the flour mostly) and it still gets a nice bubbly crumb in the perimeter.

Anyway, gently caress yeah pizza. (This one was stretched)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Maybe it didn't have enough yeast? I dunno

I used the CPK recipe which is 1 tsp of yeast in ~300 g of flour

I didn't think I was beating it super ultra hard but like they said maybe I didn't wait long enough in the first place for the yeast to do its thing

I made some dough for tomorrow and stuck it in the fridge, I'll monitor the temps so I can say for sure what it's at and after how long, and also this time I used 2 tsp yeast instead

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 24, 2017

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Tips for a pizza party? I'm throwing a dinner party for 6-8 friends. I plan to have dough balls ready along with a "pizza bar" with different sauce, cheese, toppings, and finishers. Each person gets to make their own 12" pizza, which we all share as they come out of the oven.

My wife and I cook pizza pretty often, so I've got a good handle on making the dough and baking correctly. I could use some advice on what ingredients to offer as well as how to do the party.

The friends I'm inviting are not gourmands. Some eat at high-end restaurants; some think Pizza Hut makes good food; but none of them are going to wrinkle their nose and say, "The tomatoes are not true San Marzano, and the so-called fresh basil was clearly picked two days ago." They'll be happy with the pizzas. I just want to offer them some variety.

Sauce List:
-New York style tomato sauce (Canned tomatoes reduced with butter, oregano, and half an onion)
-Barbecue Sauce (Stubb's Original, which beat every attempt I've ever made to make homemade sauce)
-Pesto (store bought, because pine nuts are stupid expensive)

Cheese List:
-Buffalo Mozzarella
-Smoke cheddar
-Goat cheese
Note: These cheeses have turned out well with their respective sauces above. Tomato sauce with Mozzarella; BBQ with smoked cheddar; Pesto with goat cheese.

Toppings List:
-Pepperoni (or a decent salami)
-Prosciutto
-Bacon (Wright brand is amazing)
-Shredded chicken
-Fresh red onions
-Roasted red peppers
-Jarred jalapeno peppers
-Fresh Roma tomatoes
-Fresh basil (I have a plant on my balcony)

Finishers list:
-Salt and pepper
-Chili flakes
-Parmesan

Is this going overboard for a dinner party?
Would an Asiago cheese sauce be good for pizza?
What would you add or take away?

EDIT: What are some good dessert pizzas? Using the same dough, what toppings can I put on for a sweet finish?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd swap buffalo for low moisture, preferably not part skim. Maybe put together a stromboli for snacking before getting the oven to temp or garlic knots.

Not sure on desert pizzas, but goat cheese is good with fruit.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Desert pizzas!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Bagheera posted:

Tips for a pizza party? I'm throwing a dinner party for 6-8 friends. I plan to have dough balls ready along with a "pizza bar" with different sauce, cheese, toppings, and finishers. Each person gets to make their own 12" pizza, which we all share as they come out of the oven.

I think you're going overboard, and if that's what you want, its totally cool.

When I do pizza parties, unless there are some ideas or tastes I really want to explore, I supply one red sauce, a bunch of full fat mozz, and the toppings that I want or already have in the pantry. Everyone is told to BYO toppings and its usually the normal ones you expect - spinach/arugula, mushrooms, peppers, sausage - but sometimes people get creative - we did a fig/prosciutto once and a brisket pizza that was pretty drat good.

Lately we've been doing ~8" personals on a 150 gram 62% doughball but in the past I did 14" group pizzas on a 375 gram ball. Some friends liked the group pizzas more because it exposed them to topping combinations they otherwise wouldnt have tried.

Edit: And depending on my mood I'll make a Chicago style deep dish for everyone to share in addition to my preferred NY thin crust

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ogopogo posted:

Desert pizzas!

Where is that, NM?

Pizza looks great!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Stefan Prodan posted:

Maybe it didn't have enough yeast? I dunno

I used the CPK recipe which is 1 tsp of yeast in ~300 g of flour

I didn't think I was beating it super ultra hard but like they said maybe I didn't wait long enough in the first place for the yeast to do its thing

I made some dough for tomorrow and stuck it in the fridge, I'll monitor the temps so I can say for sure what it's at and after how long, and also this time I used 2 tsp yeast instead

Forgot to follow up on this, but I was really careful not to like make the dough too dense while forming it and also gave it a whole night to rise, and it came out really well!

Definitely the best one I've done so far, especially with the broiler trick. Would have been fine paying $10+ for it in a restaurant.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Where is that, NM?

Pizza looks great!

Thanks! This is Las Vegas. About to gear up and start doing pop-up pizza receptions along with a local pop-up wedding business. Excited to get a legit trailer and whatnot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Oh nice, I go to Vegas once a year. Have you been to Settebello out there? Not that you'd ever really need to but that was prob my favorite cheap neapolitan pizza place when I visited.