Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jack Gladney posted:

SMG, when the Affordable Care Act is repealed, what is going to happen to the quality of your medical care? Is this the proper form of acceleration?

I'm sure the Canadian strip club he works at has great benes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jack Gladney posted:

SMG, when the Affordable Care Act is repealed, what is going to happen to the quality of your medical care? Is this the proper form of acceleration?

He is Canadian.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I bet you guys tell your kids there's no Santa too :colbert:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

I bet you guys tell your kids there's no Santa too :colbert:

I'm Jewish so if I had kids, yeah

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This is, somehow, the cherry on top of the mythological sundae.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

The thing with scripts is, they have a very specific function, (as said by therattle) so they can't be completely loose in how they're created. One of my first big scrips, I wrote paragraphs of backstory for the main characters, thinking that was how characters were created on the page. I mistook what Dan O'Bannon said in the making of Alien about him writing every character's back story for the actors, and put it into the actual script rather than something on the side for the actors to chew on.

Which is why I needed people like Hulk to guide me in the technical aspects, and for looking at different ways to create a character besides jamming their backstory in as a footnote. It might be basic stuff, but learning about the character trees, and his examples of how character was shown just through action, and how to write that was very helpful. Heck, so was the dreaded Max Landis. I won't defend him, but his tips are very interesting and helpful, even if you don't really like his work. He knows how to write an effective script, as evident by him getting work. So I would apply those tips for my own work on a technical basis, which I honestly don't think is a terrible thing to do.

I mean, I'd listen to tips by like, Brett Ratner too. While I don't really like his work, he's still a name in Hollywood, so there's at least something he does right.

Really, there's no better instruction than just reading scripts. Scripts to movies that turned out good, bad, indifferent- it's all in seeing how writers use the format and how it can be manipulated and various techniques. Note what signs there are of the overall tone/atmosphere of the finished film (if there is one- there are scripts out there for movies that never got made, or movies that turned out radically different.) Think about alternate ways the same script might have been handled by another filmmaker (I could easily envision Ed Wood being made in a more "naturalistic" way, not that it would necessarily have been better.)

The side note is to avoid shooting scripts because those all have camera angles blocked out and that is NOT what the screenwriter does. Sadly many published scripts go with that because it's closest to the finished film.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Black Bones posted:

I just watched Highlander for the first time. Was pretty great. Would have seen it sooner if someone had told me that Queen did the music! no one told me

I know they did Flash Gordon too, which I haven't found yet. did they do any others?

I think remake-chat was a few pages back but Highlander would be my pick. I still like the movie a lot but it's mostly on the strength of the actors and the music, otherwise there is some baffling stuff in there like the weird fight choreography in the first duel.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I never would have guessed that in a million years. He doesn't even need to watch superhero movies in the first place!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grendels Dad posted:

I think remake-chat was a few pages back but Highlander would be my pick. I still like the movie a lot but it's mostly on the strength of the actors and the music, otherwise there is some baffling stuff in there like the weird fight choreography in the first duel.

They've been trying to get a remake off the ground for a few years, now, with Justin Lin, Tom Cruise, Dave Bautista, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo and Ryan Reynolds all attached at various points. Last I heard the other John Wick guy (not Leitch) is now developing it.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

glam rock hamhock posted:

La Cabina rules

Hell yeah. I've been looking for other stuff in a similar vein and haven't had much luck so far.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Hell yeah. I've been looking for other stuff in a similar vein and haven't had much luck so far.

Have you watched Harpya?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Have you watched Harpya?

Harpya is crazy good, may as well just post it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYiS6lmc_H0

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Snak posted:

I'm not watching some video. Why are we invading Poland?

The goddamn bugs whacked us, Snak.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha I just heard "Buddy Holly" for the first time a couple weeks ago and I've been playing it on repeat. For some reason I thought they were a gimmick band for teenagers because of the "sun is a mass of incandescent gas" song, which is a different band entirely.

If you're having words against They Might Be Giants, we're gonna have to take this outside.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Apparently they wrote the Malcolm in the Middle song, so congrats to them on scoring my entire middle school life.

They scored my high school life, I've listened to Flood countless times.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Haha I just heard "Buddy Holly" for the first time a couple weeks ago and I've been playing it on repeat. For some reason I thought they were a gimmick band for teenagers because of the "sun is a mass of incandescent gas" song, which is a different band entirely.

That's nobody's business but the Turks.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Have you watched Harpya?

Yeah, I think you recommended it in here a long time ago, actually. Liked it a lot.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, I think you recommended it in here a long time ago, actually. Liked it a lot.

Off-topic and just a quick little affirmation: your username reminded me how much I enjoyed your posting in the American Sniper thread.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Big shouts to the They Shoot Zombies list on YouTube.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

CelticPredator posted:

You haven't read my script though.

I have already read many things.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

haha

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Grendels Dad posted:

The weirdness is what makes them so good, it's not like they are genuinely skilled sword fights otherwise, like the Duellists.

I hope any remake keeps how homoerotic the quickening is

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

were any of them books?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

3/12/15 - 1/1/17: GenChat: Tell me something I don't already know : https://forums.somethingawful.com/misc.php?action=whoposted&threadid=3706088

Yo, sorry to everyone who has to read my posts, since I apparently post often enough to crack the top 30. I hope something I've said has been insightful and/or helpful, but I'm guessing a lot of white noise.

pt 1 of a 7 part Pokemon musical: Pokemon Live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgvIdkD_jnE

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jack Gladney posted:

For what it's worth I will probably lose mine if Medicaid expansion dies and the answer to that is entirely contingent. If the result is genuine universal healthcare in the near future, it's worth it even if I lose a leg and go broke or die or whatever.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It won't, of course, the GOP will just be like "welp we tried to replace it but you didn't want it anyways right lol bye"

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

were any of them books?

Yes. However, I am specifically referring to his many posts on the subject.

Jack Gladney posted:

You cannot threaten me with illness or death.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It won't, of course, the GOP will just be like "welp we tried to replace it but you didn't want it anyways right lol bye"

The near future obviously doesn't mean the next 4 years in this context. It will be bad and bad things will happen in he meantime.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

Off-topic and just a quick little affirmation: your username reminded me how much I enjoyed your posting in the American Sniper thread.

Aw geez :blush: Thanks! Also you got me to check out Lost River in the last gen chat thread (or the one before? I can't remember) so thanks for that also. Digging the new av.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Huh. Someone made an hour and a half analysis of a This House Has People in It. I'd post a link but first I want to make sure he doesn't suck at this.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

Huh. Someone made an hour and a half analysis of a This House Has People in It. I'd post a link but first I want to make sure he doesn't suck at this.

We've been talking about Night Mind since last year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

For what it's worth I will probably lose mine if Medicaid expansion dies and the answer to that is entirely contingent. If the result is genuine universal healthcare in the near future, it's worth it even if I lose a leg and go broke or die or whatever.

I just got coverage over the exchange two months ago. I am so afraid that I'll lose it that I really don't know what to do. Sometimes I wonder if this is what conservatives felt when the ACA was passed and kind of understand hatred of government, and then I think, "no, that doesn't make a lick of goddamned sense because they couldn't even articulate why it scared them."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

We've been talking about Night Mind since last year.

Oh...Sorry?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Hey weekly font, I really like your podcast. Fun topics, good guests, and lively discussion, so good poo poo all around.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I'm quite hungover today and fading in and out watching my bluray of The 7th Voyage of Sinbad on a loop, ama.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

Hey weekly font, I really like your podcast. Fun topics, good guests, and lively discussion, so good poo poo all around.

oh yeah, I'm on the last episode and I still haven't listened to it, thanks for the reminder

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Is Les Vampires any good or is it on the 1001 film list just to gently caress with me

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Gorman Thomas posted:

Is Les Vampires any good or is it on the 1001 film list just to gently caress with me

Yes. Louis Feuillade's serials are a good counterpoint to anyone who believes silents are boring.

Personally, I found Judex to be the best of the three that are available and Fantomas is great, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Man, Running Scared is underrated as gently caress. I don't hear nearly enough about that movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

Yes. Louis Feuillade's serials are a good counterpoint to anyone who believes silents are boring.

Personally, I found Judex to be the best of the three that are available and Fantomas is great, too.
I haven't seen the silent yet, but the remake is fantastic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I haven't seen the silent yet, but the remake is fantastic.

I've been meaning to see it. The only Franju I've seen so far is Eyes Without a Face. Haven't gotten enough courage to watch Blood of the Beasts yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Egbert Souse posted:

I've been meaning to see it. The only Franju I've seen so far is Eyes Without a Face. Haven't gotten enough courage to watch Blood of the Beasts yet.

Same guy did Eyes Without A Face? Guess that's jumping straight to the top of my watchlist.

• Locked thread