Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thefluffy posted:

Tuk Tuks stop being funny when you put the black hand and AK pulse on them. (and antishield rockets for the smarter enemies)

I'm trying to imagine what the AK pulse generator even looks like physically and wondering how the hell it'd fit on a Tuk Tuk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
you only get to fire it once because your janky golf cart vehicle disintegrates out from under you when you activate it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm trying to imagine what the AK pulse generator even looks like physically and wondering how the hell it'd fit on a Tuk Tuk.

(Insert image of Mad Max Doof Wagon here)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

anthony patch posted:

Yes you can:

he's a cyclolucidite isn't he

tell us what that means!!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
To all those having fun in tiny things don't forget the Batushka!!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I've always thought as them as an example of lasers fire capitalism.

You missed the pun. dyzzy didn't just mean super-captialists, he meant the SNC is the pinnacle in the evolution of sharing economy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

That's alright, I wanted to make my own pun.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

atomicthumbs posted:

edit: if I let Marvin Beck pilot a Broodmare, is he jerking it in there

:reject::fh:

Also nice review man

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

he's a cyclolucidite isn't he

tell us what that means!!!

https://twitter.com/gausswerks/status/705976658772119552

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
git gud, scrubs.

https://twitter.com/gausswerks/status/819278690886545412

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Ahahaha I was hoping it'd be a Swordfish.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but how was this game made? I was popping around the debug menu and noticed the rendering and started playing with the options and it made me reconsider something: Is this game made with sprites? I had always thought that, but the way the lighting works and the fact there's normal maps and that I can go straight to a diffuse render suddenly changed my view about the game. I know that gauss has posted the 3d models on his Twitter and what look like sprite sheets, but just the way you can strip off the rendering layers puzzled me. And, as well, how do you get the customization options to work, if they are sprites? Clever use of masks?

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

I'm not sure if this was asked before, but how was this game made? I was popping around the debug menu and noticed the rendering and started playing with the options and it made me reconsider something: Is this game made with sprites? I had always thought that, but the way the lighting works and the fact there's normal maps and that I can go straight to a diffuse render suddenly changed my view about the game. I know that gauss has posted the 3d models on his Twitter and what look like sprite sheets, but just the way you can strip off the rendering layers puzzled me. And, as well, how do you get the customization options to work, if they are sprites? Clever use of masks?

spacer magic

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Young Freud posted:

It's all sprites, but we use two layers-- one for the visual component, and one that's purely giving depth information. This doubles the cost of every sprite, but allows us to do cool poo poo like proper depth sorting on sprites and volumetric lighting, even though the game is technically all 2D art. Which is another way of saying we did a shitload of work to make 2D assets look 3D :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Incidentally, The Void Repeats is where I've hit a brick wall in the campaign. I just can see how I could even feasibly defeat those forces with what I have.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

anthony patch posted:

It's all sprites, but we use two layers-- one for the visual component, and one that's purely giving depth information. This doubles the cost of every sprite, but allows us to do cool poo poo like proper depth sorting on sprites and volumetric lighting, even though the game is technically all 2D art. Which is another way of saying we did a shitload of work to make 2D assets look 3D :v:

are the daylight maps just the normal sprites used for lit-up areas? I loaded up one of the post-story campaign missions and was SHOCKED to suddenly be able to see what everything looked like.

The Lone Badger posted:

Incidentally, The Void Repeats is where I've hit a brick wall in the campaign. I just can see how I could even feasibly defeat those forces with what I have.

use the broodmare. take care of the north end last. be sneaky. walk through walls.

Edit:

still scrollin' back through the thread and

anthony patch posted:

I thought about making a mortar that's a giant dirty bomb, just makes a screen-size area a kill zone but doesn't damage the environment at all. Basically the weapon would just be a huge player troll unless you know what you're getting into, hence its absence from the game.

if you did this you could call it the Black Heart

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 13, 2017

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Small thing i appreciate in the design. Whenever i see this:

I feel reminded of the blocks i grew up in:

Edit: Also places in Berlin (which does have 3d data in google):

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 13, 2017

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

anthony patch posted:

the benefit is that with shadows disabled the game runs buttery smooth on extremely outdated toasters. also it looks cool as gently caress.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What's the greenish weapon that I sometimes notice Canaries hitting me with? Do they get Black Hands?

also is there any secret hidden intel on the Snakebite since we're not allowed to use it, presumably due to it being too lovely

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

anthony patch posted:

I was figuring it was clever use of normal-mapped sprites.

What about the second part of my question? How did you get the weapons to appear on the vehicles in Freelance? Is that masks or did you guys literally put every combination and then make sprite at every angle?

atomicthumbs posted:

What's the greenish weapon that I sometimes notice Canaries hitting me with? Do they get Black Hands?

also is there any secret hidden intel on the Snakebite since we're not allowed to use it, presumably due to it being too lovely

That one that goes "thump-thump-thump" whenever it hits you? I believe that's the Bully.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the bully is white, much like irl

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

How do you even do Inch of Dust with the Party Van.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Primarily by abusing how small it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8DaFok9Csg

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

:stare: quoting this to watch later since I can't effectively play at difficulty 5+ with anything :( is there commentary?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

is there commentary?
Nope, it's just the plan playthrough. Though honestly i didn't find it that interesting, just because it was done with a hovercraft.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

:stare: quoting this to watch later since I can't effectively play at difficulty 5+ with anything :( is there commentary?

Seeing most of these runs are a combination of incredible jealousy for the reasons you just said, and-

Mithaldu posted:

Nope, it's just the plan playthrough. Though honestly i didn't find it that interesting, just because it was done with a hovercraft.

:geno: another nail in the coffin for big beefy rides being viable for the big time.

The fact they went for a 100% Full clear is a very nice touch though :unsmigghh: As they called out the "I blitzed through it with a fast mech/hover" runs. Even with the infamous Swordfish, that is still a big difference.

Though the runtime of almost two hours also highlights how much we need a 'save and exit' option. Regardless of any inevitable :emo: people will have over the dread crime of "Save Scumming ™"

Bitch please, theoretical future strawman example. If I want to cheat in Brigador all I need to do is use F1, not jump through hoops to copy/paste save files.

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope
Gauss and I will do a commentary run through the campaign at some point, properly record it since we're rubbish on twitch and only 20 people would see that anyway.

The big green laser thing that the Canaries fire is damping laser. Significantly reduces player mobility but deals no damage. I tried adding it as a player weapon, but even in a small mount it wasn't useful enough to merit burning a weapon slot for it. There's still the possibility of adding it as a 0 cooldown special, but I'm not sure about that one as there's a lot of tricky issues about implementation and player control for a weapon like that.

The weapon sprites on vehicles is just the same z-depth chicanery. When gauss modeled the vehicles he added mount points at various locations on every upper and lower component. I then went through every vehicle by hand and tried out different combinations to see what looked good, then once I'd locked down mount numbers and sizes I then based on that decided loadouts for enemy vehicles.

This is what one of my development charts for playable vehicles looks like, just dedicated to mounts:

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

atomicthumbs posted:

I am not sure if that weapon even has a name but I DO know it slows down your craft but does no damage itself.

:edit: once again my failure to read embarrasses me. :doh:

Thefluffy fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 13, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I did notice his 'shoot on sight' policy toward explosive objects.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
What counts as slow? Stuff like the Touro or just the ultra heavy platforms? I like playing the slower things cause the agravs get me mixed up.

I'll have to figure out how to record a run then.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Hypha posted:

What counts as slow?

slow things

things that make you go "ugh, this is slow"

fast things are the ones that make you think "whoa, this is fast, but i wish i had bigger guns"

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I heard if you paint a racing stripe on a touro it goes faster

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Praise the Brigadevs

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

dhamster posted:

I heard if you paint a racing stripe on a touro it goes faster

It has to be red,though. That is the key to goin' fasta. :orks101:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

After watching that video I'm learning to love the Swordfish.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Section Z posted:

Though the runtime of almost two hours also highlights how much we need a 'save and exit' option. Regardless of any inevitable :emo: people will have over the dread crime of "Save Scumming ™"

Honestly, I have not tried a run longer than 9 maps. What always seems to is I read this thread, find something new, go into the game and test it out in either Orientation, First Strike, or Moerbeke Quarter, mostly for the sake of time. I would like more maps and more 3-4 map freelance operations.

VolticSurge posted:

It has to be red,though. That is the key to goin' fasta. :orks101:

If you paint it read and add a command antenna, it'll go three times faster than the normal Touro.

What's the "taser" I've seen on some of the Corvid suits? I remember getting close to them and this little lightning bolt shoots out of them but it doesn't really have much of an effect.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Well I guess when I can play this again I'm going to HAVE to learn to AGRAV

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Section Z posted:

Seeing most of these runs are a combination of incredible jealousy for the reasons you just said, and-

:geno: another nail in the coffin for big beefy rides being viable for the big time.

The fact they went for a 100% Full clear is a very nice touch though :unsmigghh: As they called out the "I blitzed through it with a fast mech/hover" runs. Even with the infamous Swordfish, that is still a big difference.

Bitch please, theoretical future strawman example. If I want to cheat in Brigador all I need to do is use F1, not jump through hoops to copy/paste save files.

Is this a thing people are actually worried about? Do I need to try recording my nightly unwind? I can't promise no alarms though. (I also can't promise my computer can handle recording.)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Young Freud posted:

Honestly, I have not tried a run longer than 9 maps. What always seems to is I read this thread, find something new, go into the game and test it out in either Orientation, First Strike, or Moerbeke Quarter, mostly for the sake of time. I would like more maps and more 3-4 map freelance operations.

Quoting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Thirding. Pleeeease more smaller map packs.