Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Fair enough! That's counter to what Hard has told us in the past though which is why I said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

my kinda ape posted:

Fair enough! That's counter to what Hard has told us in the past though which is why I said that.

To be fair, the frequency with which I get matched against plats does kind of make this hard to read with a straight face.

Thanks for the advice guys. I didn't feel like I was doing much different for the most part, though at times I caught myself making mistakes and correcting myself. I got the round winning kill once. It felt sweet.

Then the game crashed, which has never happened to me before. It was during the transition to the operator select after a round. Maybe I'm being too optimistic about what I can do with a 1070? I have ultra textures on, most everything else maxed, with shadows a step below. It's using a bit over 4000 GB of video memory, I have 8 total.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Sdoots posted:

Then the game crashed, which has never happened to me before. It was during the transition to the operator select after a round. Maybe I'm being too optimistic about what I can do with a 1070? I have ultra textures on, most everything else maxed, with shadows a step below. It's using a bit over 4000 GB of video memory, I have 8 total.

A 1070 should have no trouble with everything maxed, and occasionally games will crash, don't worry about it unless it becomes a repeating thing. If you got the little prompt to send a crash report, that's pretty much all you can or should do about it.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Siege is one of the few games that after having mixed results for a while I had to stop myself and really weigh the decision to breach/peek/move. In a lot of games I can rely on outshooting the enemy but it doesn't work that way most of the time (sometimes latency is on your side, sometimes it isn't or tiny sliver peek kills because you shoot out of your sight [or aim out of your barrel?]). A lot of bravado/ego comes into play when trading peeking shots and that tends to never work out in my favor.

Siege has made me much more critical of my decision making process; especially when it hands you so many tools to make more informed decisions.

Siege is FPS minesweeper.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

lohli posted:

A 1070 should have no trouble with everything maxed, and occasionally games will crash, don't worry about it unless it becomes a repeating thing. If you got the little prompt to send a crash report, that's pretty much all you can or should do about it.

I have a 1070 which struggles at 1440p at certain times on certain maps...

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
IIRC it's nighttime favela that has a huge performance issue outside, everything else runs mostly well.

And I'm sure I've said this before, this time I'll link the nvidia breakdown about it, but sticking Shading on high just adds bump mapping which doesn't really add anything noticeable to the visuals 99% of the time, you really need to go out of your way to pay attention to the surfaces it has a dramatic effect on(a few paved areas outside) to really notice it's there at all. It does have a pretty significant effect on framerate though, and given that dropping things from high to medium on that map returns the game to running at a framerate on par with the rest of the maps, I assume there's something weird going on with how the bump mapping is interacting with the fireworks(if they're significant light sources in this case) or other lighting.

http://www.geforce.co.uk/whats-new/...shading-quality

I wonder if you could lower the tessellation settings for the game via nvidia drivers/software to fix it screwing up performance while still getting some of the fancy bump mapping?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

my kinda ape posted:

No you're actually right on quoting me. Casual is a big dice roll with very few yet important rules.

Casual's ''own'' MMR is basically party size and pings. I don't know why it's phrase as if it has the same system as ranked.

Mind you much like ranked all of these things can and will fuckoff if it takes too much time to find a decent match.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Whats the definition of "too" in "too much time"

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BadLlama posted:

If the matchmaker gets to the bottom of its bottle of booze, you get ANGRY MATCHMAKER instead.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

BadLlama posted:

Well, me and some other guys had a real good bonding session over the 4 minutes we spent bullshitting waiting for one last guy to join. We had planned to wait for 6 minutes but at 4 someone bailed.

I imagine poo poo was just hosed up in that instance, because it'd be real weird if "too much time" was longer than that.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Well it's not like the valves completely opens if it doesn't find a match right away but restrictions loosen up bit by bit every minute or two.

Ugh so many mom jokes potential.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PqgmgTNy0M
:cry:

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I'm just curious, how does the conversation go when you try to keep that kind of poo poo in? Anyone else see the light, or was it a pretty unanimous "nah son that shits gotta go"?

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
I wasn't really serious when I said i fought to keep it in but i wouldn't have given a poo poo if it did either way.

At the end of the day when a call is made anyone here can pretty much switch from lulz to gameface in a second.

..and this is exactly what happened. Someone high said ''ok you know what, gently caress this poo poo'' and it got fixed.

Could it have happened earlier? Of course.
Does this silly harmless bug has it's place in this semi-tryhard game? No.

e: I guess if anything I complained that it was boring the way it was brought up in the patchnotes.

Hard fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 13, 2017

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hard posted:

Does this silly harmless bug has it's place in this semi-tryhard game? No.

Clown masks on the other hand...

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Jehde posted:

Clown masks on the other hand...

They intimidate the opposing force (supposedly). It's the logic used with the Army of Two ballistic masks, anyways. I don't think there's a whole lot intimidating about some mask with tribal poo poo all over it myself, nor a clown with big teeth, but what do I know?

I just played a game where our Castle had a passion for trapping us in as small of a space as possible, and with the exception of the person playing Rook and myself, nobody took armor. In most other multiplayer titles, this kind of experience would make me stop for the evening. For whatever reason, Siege keeps me compelled to keep playing. I'm only hurting myself more but it hurts so good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

If you want to intimidate the enemy you have to light your hair on fire with animal fat

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Clown masks are whether you like em or not an assumed feature and weirdly enough, not a bug.

Hard fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 13, 2017

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
I would like to see a bug in a game that results in horrifying clown faces.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

Hard posted:

Clown masks are whether you like em or not an assumed feature and weirdly enough, not a bug.

Listen man Raptor legs was not a bug.

Have you never heard of a little thing called emergent gameplay?

Jeez cmon mr game dev.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Hard posted:

Okay what about the bug masks though.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Raptor legs is gonna be the next big thing in gaming like Skiing ended up being in Tribes you guys just wait :(

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, is it just me, or is rubberbanding occurring more and more frequently? Since after the last patch the other week, I've been rubberbanding more and more - it's actually gotten to the point where I'm nearly constantly rubberbanding, and a few others ingame have apparently been noticing it happening to them, too.
Incredibly frustrating, as it's not my connection and verifying the game cache has no affect. Nothing in regards to my connection or PC has changed recently, and other games are fine - so there's no obvious culprit, aside from the game itself. I've had no issues in my ~230 hours of playtime up until recently, but sadly it's becoming increasingly unplayable. :( (Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't get the Y2 pass - I might if things actually get better for me and the first batch of operators aren't bad, but drat this is really pushing me away from the game)

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

Jehde posted:

Okay what about the bug masks though.

I'm not gonna sperg about spiders not being insects.

Nice :golfclap:

Hard fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 13, 2017

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Major Isoor posted:

So, is it just me, or is rubberbanding occurring more and more frequently? Since after the last patch the other week, I've been rubberbanding more and more - it's actually gotten to the point where I'm nearly constantly rubberbanding, and a few others ingame have apparently been noticing it happening to them, too.
Incredibly frustrating, as it's not my connection and verifying the game cache has no affect. Nothing in regards to my connection or PC has changed recently, and other games are fine - so there's no obvious culprit, aside from the game itself. I've had no issues in my ~230 hours of playtime up until recently, but sadly it's becoming increasingly unplayable. :( (Needless to say, I'm glad I didn't get the Y2 pass - I might if things actually get better for me and the first batch of operators aren't bad, but drat this is really pushing me away from the game)

I used to rubberband a lot when someone in the house was watching Netflix. Now I rubberband a lot just because.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Major Isoor posted:

Quality of their netcode (and servers) is cyclical it seems. It goes from mostly decent to mostly non-functional and back again. Wait a week or two and they might have it duct taped back together again.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I played with an honest to god edgy 12 year old who called everyone oval office and yelled about aids a lot. :toot:
I thought they were just a legend

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Moatman posted:

I played with an honest to god edgy 12 year old who called everyone oval office and yelled about aids a lot. :toot:
I thought they were just a legend

Basically this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zgRmSU4tYk

edit:

Also one of us pulled off this sweet ace 1hp clutch:
https://streamable.com/ch86t

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 14, 2017

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
i too play with goons

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yo, there's a bug in the game with Doc - the medgun counter on the interface never goes down, it stays at 3. I have no idea if this was there before the patch, cause I just bought Doc. But every time I play him, only the bottom right ammo counter goes down when I use the healing shot - the middle part of the interface just always says "3" (the one next to the "use ability button"). It still is pretty easy to keep track of how many darts have you fired since there are only 3, but every other limited use gadget does track it's number on the middle interface, so for consistency at least I think that should be fixed :v: Even If I'm the only Doc player I've yet to encounter.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I really wish the Doc gun was back to the old system of darts being infinite until you hit somebody.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Party Plane Jones posted:

I really wish the Doc gun was back to the old system of darts being infinite until you hit somebody.

Avoid matrix dodging them and it won't be a problem

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

https://streamable.com/j2dy0

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Kikas posted:

Even If I'm the only Doc player I've yet to encounter.

I think I've got more doc playtime than half the players have total playtime.

wrong way
Oct 20, 2009

That's ok I guess
Bought and played the game at release liked it but bounced off. Is it worth it to play casual without a group to learn the maps again? Or should I just jump on discord and let you guys have your way with me.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

wrong way posted:

Bought and played the game at release liked it but bounced off. Is it worth it to play casual without a group to learn the maps again? Or should I just jump on discord and let you guys have your way with me.

This game is 10 times better with a group so the sooner you start playing with one the better.

Don't worry about being bad/rusty Siege goons are pretty chill with new blood.

Kikas posted:

Yo, there's a bug in the game with Doc - the medgun counter on the interface never goes down, it stays at 3. I have no idea if this was there before the patch, cause I just bought Doc. But every time I play him, only the bottom right ammo counter goes down when I use the healing shot - the middle part of the interface just always says "3" (the one next to the "use ability button"). It still is pretty easy to keep track of how many darts have you fired since there are only 3, but every other limited use gadget does track it's number on the middle interface, so for consistency at least I think that should be fixed :v: Even If I'm the only Doc player I've yet to encounter.

Yeah comfirmed :/ might affect Ash and some others.

Hard fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jan 14, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It happens with capitao

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hard posted:

Don't worry about being bad/rusty Siege goons are pretty chill with new blood.

The only times Siege goons get pissed is if you're being outright an rear end in a top hat; eg screaming at the top of your lungs and/or saying 'penis penis PENIS PENIS PENISSSSSSSS' for 2 minutes straight during a match are basically the Discord's entire banlist.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Capitao Crunch should not be consumed or handled by women who are pregnant or who are considering becoming pregnant.

(Zika jokes: Never going out of style, because they were never IN style.)

• Locked thread