Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

The MonHun crew is too busy finding new and creative ways to avoid making HD assets to develop a game for the Switch, please understand.

Cicadas! fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
This is me praying for that PC release on monhun5

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Cicadas! posted:

The MonHun crew is too busy finding new and creative ways to avoid making HD assets to develop a game for the Switch, please understand.

Yeah I had high hopes for a Switch game announcement. Then I realized they've been rehashing the same stuff from the PS2 era. It works for DS games but if they wanted to actually do a full game for the Switch it would take quite a bit of time to make it not look like poo poo. Think the best you can hope for in the near future is just an HD port of MHXX.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Minrad posted:

No Monster Hunter announced for the Switch, and worse, it has paid online :yikes:
You mean an Xbox-style subscription service? That fuckin' sucks.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Minrad posted:

This is me praying for that PC release on monhun5

Lol. Not unless it's on some emulator.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah I had high hopes for a Switch game announcement. Then I realized they've been rehashing the same stuff from the PS2 era. It works for DS games but if they wanted to actually do a full game for the Switch it would take quite a bit of time to make it not look like poo poo. Think the best you can hope for in the near future is just an HD port of MHXX.

Is there going to be an update to MHX? I thought they weren't go to do that.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
Yeah MHXX (double cross) was revealed a couple months ago

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is Capcom still struggling a little bit financially? A true HD Monster Hunter that was still portable would be a big selling point for me, but maybe they just don't think it's worth the effort of building new assets right now.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

C-Euro posted:

Is Capcom still struggling a little bit financially? A true HD Monster Hunter that was still portable would be a big selling point for me, but maybe they just don't think it's worth the effort of building new assets right now.

They are, but I think it's more because game development takes a long time.

Remember that MH4 wasn't even announced on the 3DS until it was out for a year.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Terrible texture resolutions didn't stop them from releasing MH3U on the Wii U...

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I mean that game had higher res textures. They did hd textures for p3rd hd and the ios port of freedom unite too. They can do that thing when they aren't making games for the crapiest hardware in the world.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Yeah MHXX (double cross) was revealed a couple months ago

Ah OK. I thought I remember seeing something about that. I'm still working through MH4U anyway. I can wait. Thanks :)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone please help me :negative:

I need 3 horns to complete the Amatsu armor, but I've spent a couple of hours now and gotten 0. Failing the quest after 20 minutes because someone triple-carted to the one-hit KO is not fun! Even after we manage to break its face, I still only get Storm Vesicles.

I really need help farming Amatsu a couple of times! :smith:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Someone please help me :negative:

I need 3 horns to complete the Amatsu armor, but I've spent a couple of hours now and gotten 0. Failing the quest after 20 minutes because someone triple-carted to the one-hit KO is not fun! Even after we manage to break its face, I still only get Storm Vesicles.

I really need help farming Amatsu a couple of times! :smith:

I need Amatsu parts too, I can help out after I get home from work.

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Welcome to Amastu and pubs! If I remember correctly, its horns has a 2-part broken condition and even then it's not a guarantee drop. It sucks but despite the grind I love the Amastu fight. It's always sad murking it at the end with the death animation and the sun coming out. It's the closest to an emotional moment I've come to with MH.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
amatsu pro tip: BRING FARCASTERS AND MATERIALS TO MAKE MORE FARCASTERS.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zmej posted:

Welcome to Amastu and pubs! If I remember correctly, its horns has a 2-part broken condition and even then it's not a guarantee drop. It sucks but despite the grind I love the Amastu fight. It's always sad murking it at the end with the death animation and the sun coming out. It's the closest to an emotional moment I've come to with MH.

I love Amatsu! It's such an rear end in a top hat to fight (super difficult to hit, one-hit KO) but everything about that fight is the definition of epic.

How you get the horns confused me at first, because after hitting its head a bunch one of its horns will break... but that's not the condition. You gotta keep hitting the head until the face gets busted in order to get horns :doh: According to kiranico you have an 80% chance of getting a horn at this point but I've gotten more gems than horns doing it. Also the worst part is spending 30 minutes trying to form a group only for none of the people to know how to dodge. I don't have the heart to kick people either so I usually give it a couple of attempts before just giving up and leaving the hub....

e: I think my least favorite part about Amatsu is how stressful it is and then even when I do everything 100% right I still fail the quest because of pubbies.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I need Amatsu parts too, I can help out after I get home from work.

Any ETA on that? (timezones, y'know) The less pubbies the less stressful this will be :unsmith:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Any ETA on that? (timezones, y'know) The less pubbies the less stressful this will be :unsmith:

Probably around 5:30 pm CST.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Neo_Crimson posted:

Probably around 5:30 pm CST.

Ah, if I converted it right that would be in the middle of the night over here :(

But! I did it! I got the horns!
It took almost an hour to find a group and while we didn't triple-cart we weren't able to break his head.... so I had an idea. Amatsu's attacks are all incredibly well telegraphed (one of my favorite in this department) and the subquest is "break his head". Without teammates who triple-cart and take his attention, I realized this would be a lot easier solo. And it was! I went in completely by myself and it was so much easier to hit his head, getting the subquest was a piece of cake and then I'd just "End via subquest" to get a horn. Rinse and repeat and now I have the incredibly cool armor! :neckbeard:

It's a mix of regular and R pieces for Evasion+2, Latent Power+1 and Bludgeoner, which I admit isn't the best set of skills but it looks cool and I can't wait to use it :kimchi:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

C-Euro posted:

I somehow doubt they build their assets at 240p. All of their assets are probably already at a higher resolution and then they scale them down for the system. I don't believe they ever bothered touching the polygon count for the models in either 3U WiiU or P3rd PS3. All in all, the gap between the release of 3U on 3DS and 3U on WiiU should have been less pure development time and more marketing timing i.e. they wanted a release for each year.

I expect any Switch HD versions would be the same story. Like, if they feel they've got 2017 covered with MHXX 3DS but wouldn't have MH5 ready for 2018 we'll get an HD title on Switch.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

scaterry posted:

amatsu pro tip: BRING FARCASTERS AND MATERIALS TO MAKE MORE FARCASTERS.

Ten trillion times this

So much better than trying to dodge his bullshit

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

Ten trillion times this

So much better than trying to dodge his bullshit

Or just panic dive when you get sucked into the center?

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
You can also glue yourself to the ballista if it's nearby.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Or use the lengthy iframes on Absolute Evasion/Readiness :eng101:

The only attack I have trouble dodging is when he coils up a little and then rushes forward. It has a hitbox the size of a building and unlike all the other attacks it doesn't do its cry before attacking which throws me off.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Neo_Crimson posted:

Or just panic dive when you get sucked into the center?

This works but if you're trying to kill him in gunner armour farcasters give you a higher survivability rate as well as doing

Marogareh posted:

You can also glue yourself to the ballista if it's nearby.

If you're near one. Otherwise, it's handy to have lots of farcasters to make sure you don't get splattered

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I just bought MH4U to see what the previous game was about and to fight cool spiders and whatnot that Gen didn't have. Are there any cool things to know or do right out of the gate, like BuJaBuJaBu armor was for Gen? I noticed that there aren't any hunter arts or styles, so maybe heavy bowguns won't be as fun. Does anyone still play it? I want to have a crack at that Dahren Moran beastie but I'm betting he's and online team encounter .

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
You can hunt dahren mohran eventually offline. It might be gated behind online progression though, I forget. There's a point in the campaign where you basically have to go online to make some progression for the offline stuff, but it's at the point where you finish the base game/LR part of 4u

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
No one warned me this poo poo has musicals in it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
OK, cool. Concerning the research missions.. are they just the free hunt option from Tri renamed? Just seems like a random grab bag of potential monsters with rusted items sometimes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

No one warned me this poo poo has musicals in it.

The gift that keeps giving :3:

e: I still have my collection from earlier in this thread!

Your Computer posted:

Wrist Watch posted:

That uh, sure was an ending.

Neo_Crimson posted:

I was wondering what the big deal about the village ending was until I actually saw it.

uh

pnumoman posted:

You guys were right, the ending really is....something.

EightFlyingCars posted:

That ending really is something... unexpected.

Calaveron posted:

I don't think any other game would've been able to pull off an ending cutscene like that

Wafflz posted:

The ending

Your Computer posted:

You guys kept talk about the ending being.. something else, but uh.. I did not expect that.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

so the ending is uh.....

it sure is

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm glad nobody has spoiled what exactly happens after the Glavenus fight in Village because uh...that's certainly a thing.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 16, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
You can get a web quest and strike out for Dahren Mohran almost right away. It's hard, but not impossible. I would suggest playing up to Tetsucabara and making a set of armor that makes you more durable and getting the gunner food boost, then you can farm the Mohran quest to build weapons that will let you sail right through low rank.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

OK, cool. Concerning the research missions.. are they just the free hunt option from Tri renamed? Just seems like a random grab bag of potential monsters with rusted items sometimes.

It's been a while but research missions are basically a way to get certain specific monsters as Guild Missions if I remember right, but that's a whole other mess of RNG to deal with. I think people might have used it to farm for weapons too, but I never looked into that. I just farmed it to get a Kirin Guild Mission, and otherwise ignored it unless I had to progress the story.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
And after looking up what Free Hunt is, yeah, expeditions are similar to Tri's Free Hunts. Monsters can run away in expeditions though

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Allarion posted:

It's been a while but research missions are basically a way to get certain specific monsters as Guild Missions if I remember right, but that's a whole other mess of RNG to deal with. I think people might have used it to farm for weapons too, but I never looked into that. I just farmed it to get a Kirin Guild Mission, and otherwise ignored it unless I had to progress the story.

OK. I wanted to make the early velocidrome set to replace my starter armor but if I have to do it three pieces at a time per time the critter chooses to show up I'll just skip it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I think the game might give you the Velocidrome guild mission for free if you want to farm Velocidromes. It's a pretty common Guild Quest drop anyways from expeditions.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

OK. I wanted to make the early velocidrome set to replace my starter armor but if I have to do it three pieces at a time per time the critter chooses to show up I'll just skip it.

You should have unlocked velocidrome and kut-ku guild quests from doing the expedition. You undertake those in the guild hall after going through start menu stuff to enable them.

You can do early guild quests just fine without a group and it's way better than relying on expeditions, which make it hard to get all the breaks and don't really give reward materials. The online Dah'ren Mohran is also really easy solo since it's the sort of fight where most of your damage can come from ballista/cannons especially in low rank. Just make artillery god armor, eat for felyne bombardier and blast away.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Since I've finally unlocked my HR, maxed out my weapon and armor, done all the village quests, etc. in Generations and essentially reached the endgame (not that I still don't have plenty to do, armors and weapons to make, deviants to hunt etc.) I want to give MH4U another try, just to fight some new monsters and stuff. Is there a... survival guide of sorts for people coming from Generations? Guild quests, that forest thing, rusted equipment, palicos, damage numbers, that sort of thing. Things the game are kinda bad at explaining and/or are different in MHGen.

I played MH4U for a bit before going over to Generations, reaching Village 6 (and completing every quest on the way there), but there are still a lot of things about the game I either 1) didn't understand or 2) have forgotten :shobon: also RIP Adept Style, I'm going to get murdered so badly without it

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

For an Adept user, the most important thing to know about MH4U is that it has Evasion +3. Attain this skill ASAP and never look back.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BMan posted:

For an Adept user, the most important thing to know about MH4U is that it has Evasion +3. Attain this skill ASAP and never look back.

The problem with this of course is

1) Actually getting to the point in the game where you can get Evasion + 3

and more importantly

2) Fashion

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, to elaborate on expeditions a bit, certain monsters in expeditions have a chance of dropping guild quests for monsters you can't normally find from village quests, like velocidromes, and more notably, Kirin.There's a list on Reddit that lists it all out somewhere, but it's all RNG whether you get that guild quest or not. Course, someone could share it to you as well if the multiplayer community were still alive. You have to run into that monster first in the Villlagr expedition quest first though before the guild quest starts dropping.

EDIT: Also each time you finish a guild quest, it levels that guild quest up, eventually into HR, and then G-Rank.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Speaking of expeditions, do unstable environments exist in any form in Generations? There's still the food skill that refers to 'em...

• Locked thread