Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

Bodies can be found as long as they're killed with an accident. You could drop a chandelier on top of the Sapienza target and as long as nobody actually saw you specifically set it off, it still counts. You can poison a target's food and they can drop dead in front of a bodyguard and it counts. You could kill the last target with an exploding fire extinguisher in front of his security guard and it still counts. But you can't, say, shoot them in the head and then have the body be discovered, because then it's obvious that someone murdered them.

Unlike, say, dropping a fire extinguisher and an explosive charge next to the target and then running away seconds before it explodes. That's just a tragic coincidence.

What about snapping their neck and throwing the body from the roof of a building? Or killing someone then setting the body on fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

double nine posted:

What about snapping their neck and throwing the body from the roof of a building? Or killing someone then setting the body on fire?

I'm reading reports that knocking out the target and then flipping them over the balcony lost them the SA rating, although they could have also been spotted by a camera or something and not have realized, so YMMV. I can say with absolute certainty that shoving people off balconies, drowning them in toilets, having them eat poisoned food, and blowing them up with fire extinguishers are all things that have still given me a SA rating even with the body having been discovered.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm reading reports that knocking out the target and then flipping them over the balcony lost them the SA rating, although they could have also been spotted by a camera or something and not have realized, so YMMV. I can say with absolute certainty that shoving people off balconies, drowning them in toilets, having them eat poisoned food, and blowing them up with fire extinguishers are all things that have still given me a SA rating even with the body having been discovered.

nonononono. I've KO'd people before and thrown them off the ledge without issue, I'm asking if you kill them beforehand by fibrewire or necksnapping, then throwing the body off the building or w/e.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

double nine posted:

nonononono. I've KO'd people before and thrown them off the ledge without issue, I'm asking if you kill them beforehand by fibrewire or necksnapping, then throwing the body off the building or w/e.

So killing them in a way that is usually spotted as murder, but masking it by seemingly having them killed via accident.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm pretty sure if someone is throwing up in the upstairs trashcan he should go to the downstairs bathroom, right?
e: I also threw him off a roof and didn't get my SA rating, so.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

double nine posted:

The game just cares about what happened when they actually died, there's no way to cover up afterward. I think you could knock someone out and then throw them off a building to kill them, though from what I gather no one should see the victim falling in that case.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I hope I can get SA on this one and the one later this month in Paris. That winter coat looks dope, and I need the location-based suits from both Colorado and Paris.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

e: I also threw him off a roof and didn't get my SA rating, so.

Same, I'm guessing they spotted his unconscious body mid-air. Motherfuckers.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Does killing him with an explosion or a non-accident only affect SA? Or does it fail the mission?

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Hobo Clown posted:

Does killing him with an explosion or a non-accident only affect SA? Or does it fail the mission?

It will fail the mission.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

whoever designed the perkins disarray in Paris - I want to strangle you with your own intestines. gently caress that escalation.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
The latest ET mysteriously drowned in a toilet, I'm sure that's perfectly normal and won't be any more suspicious than an explosive. But for now...

...I accessorise!

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqGsSzUP_74

Pro

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

double nine posted:

whoever designed the perkins disarray in Paris - I want to strangle you with your own intestines. gently caress that escalation.

What problem are you having with it?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

What problem are you having with it?

(lvl 5 one) all sorts of small problems. Trying to get the bodyguard outfit and the guards turn around too quickly, dragging the woman's body out of sight behind the rooftop terrace and again the guard turns around too quickly. Being impossible to grab the auction outfit because at least one waiter is always looking at it and why did that 3rd one come down from upstairs :argh:. I kill the journalist with a mine & car-explosion but last time she got to close to the primary explosion so it didn't count as an accident.

By and large though the problem is the attic.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
dang how big is the wickerman aoe? and through the wall too?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

dang how big is the wickerman aoe? and through the wall too?

Big enough that if you try to use it to cheese the Colorado escalation with the stalker, you have to be really careful about how close you get to him or to the targets.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

drat it, I lost Silent Assassin right at the last minute.

Had no problem hitting him with an emetic syringe and then poisoning his water, grabbed the files but then I remembered I needed to erase to security footage. Distracted the guard with the vacuum cleaner but I took a wrong turn and ran back into him after erasing the footage and was spotted.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Poisoning him isn't an accident so you failed the contract anyway.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Samopsa posted:

A guy on youtube found out that poison kills still somehow count as accidents towards this elusive target. I'm not gonna do it that way since it seems a bit too cheesy.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Seriously? That's weird and makes it an even easier ET! Just run up and jab a needle in his neck (and you don't even need to take it with you as there's one to pick up in the basement).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Samopsa posted:

Poison is an accident. I didn't fail, I just didn't get SA.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Veotax posted:

Poison is an accident. I didn't fail, I just didn't get SA.

It's not supposed to be, and if it counts as one for ETs, then they need to straighten something out no matter what.

Kolnikov
Mar 25, 2016

the experience is consummated
Pillbug
Silently assassinated.

Did lots of recons and had a whole plan going involving oodles of rat poison - I figured I'd get around the "vomit in the bin, not the toilet" problem when I got to it. So I grabbed lockpick, golden gun, coins and emetic syringe in the laundry room, collected rat poisons and the house soldier disguise, shot the footage with the golden gun and then got started in earnest by poisoning the drink of the only hacker up there who can see through the hacker disguise. Knocked him out when he vomited, dragged him through into Rose's closet, borrowed his clothes because then I'd be fully camoflaged - and the ET was gone.

He walks out onto the balcony somewhere in his loop to... make a phone call? Practice his lines? And also to have a little precarious lean over a railing. I was making GBS threads myself a bit because I hadn't taken out the patrolling soldier and he'd be back any minute, plus there are people below - but over he went, and I got away with it. And then as a hacker I could just grab the files without anyone noticing and run for it.

Anyway, I'd recommend that. If you want to be extra safe you could probably stick the patrolling soldier with the emetic syringe to isolate him and then stuff him in the closet too.

And now I have a hat. But no coat.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I didn't get SA either, a non-target unconscious body got discovered.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, having 47 kill Diana.

They brought that story home in a really well done way at the end of Absolution. (unless you're saying the video had them with an alternate ending, didn't watch the thingy yet)

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Heavy Metal posted:

They brought that story home in a really well done way at the end of Absolution. (unless you're saying the video had them with an alternate ending, didn't watch the thingy yet)

Oh, I didn't know that actually happened in the game. In the video they talk about a game where it starts out with 47 having killed Diana, and he is a messed up murder-hobo because of it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Oh, I didn't know that actually happened in the game. In the video they talk about a game where it starts out with 47 having killed Diana, and he is a messed up murder-hobo because of it.

I'd go as far as to say that the beginning and ending of Absolution is not actually bad, it's only the middle part with the bizarro southern stereotype where its brought down far enough to sink the game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So how do you specifically use remote detonations to trigger a car explosion? I put a remote explosive underneath a limo in Paris, and all it did was set off the car alarm, I placed a second one (from the attic) just a little more in the middle and the thing went off like it was loaded with TNT.Do you need to place explosives right in the center on the ground or what's the trick?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Got noticed picking the lock into the basement after doing everything else stealthily. So much for the SA. Still got the Colorado suit unlocked though.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

That was almost too easy?

Got the elite outfit, ran up to the second floor, coin cleared everyone out. Ran over towards the hacker room to figure out how I was gonna waste the target, and he walks out to the balcony.

Deleting the security footage was almost harder, but vacuum+coin got him far enough away, and I used the bridge to escape cause gently caress the basement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Heavy Metal posted:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

That's draft, like, 3. It looks like most of development planned to start in the badlands, flashback to the mansion, and then go to Chicago. The original draft was Diana being killed by Travis before 47 shoots his hand off as he kidnaps Victoria. The rest of the game was an extended snuff sequence on the teenaged girl character, with 47 progressively killing the group of people that tortured and eventually killed her. Diana would be actually dead; it's unclear if the plan was for 47 to end the game dead, or freelancing, or what.

That got cut midway through development, thank christ, when Max Payne 3 came out.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 14, 2017

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I'm glad IOI has put 47 squarely back in The Day of the Jackal territory. He's interesting as a cold, meticulous professional with rare flashes of personality and not as a Leon-type killer with a heart of gold. Not that you can't try the latter story beat once for flavor, but Hitman 2 did it better already. Even in that game, 47 kind of coldly goes "well poo poo, go ahead and give me the next contract, Diana" when the priest's trail goes cold.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Do you still need to make the mask to finish the ET?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just if you want to exit via the tornado shelter. It's the quickest and easiest exit, but maybe I would have gotten SA if I opted for one of the other exits.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Just did the Master Sniper challenges and SOSA for The Icon. I love how IOI set it up so that you can kill Dino in his trailer with a battle axe right as he asks his accountant "who's been stabbing me in the back on my own set?!"

It's the little things.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I hosed up SA on the ET because I didn't delete security footage like a moron, but the best room in the mansion is where the server is. You can turn it off, and then one of the hackers will come down to investigate. Hide behind the generators in the corner of the room, subdue and drag the body where you're hiding. The hackers will keep coming down from upstairs one by one with plenty of time inbetween to subdue and drag/hide. When all 3 from upstairs are down you can take a disguise, go upstairs and and download the data. Target goes out to the balcony when there aren't any hackers to talk to, so I just pushed him off. If you get recorded like I did, pick up the baseball from the upstairs table then go back down to the server room of horror and turn on the vacuum and take up the hiding place behind the generators again. The security guard will come to investigate, bean him in the head with the baseball and stash him on the corpse pile. Delete the footage if you got spotted. Then exit through the window in the same room as the security footage, there's a gate and exit right outside. I just simply forgot to do the deletion :downs:

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
ET: stuck a emetic syringe in his butt, took him down next to the trash can when he went to puke, and dragged him into Rose's room after I took care of the lone guard there. Then just shoved him out the window onto the awning and gave him a little kick and that was the end of that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Your tutorial mission target in Absolution is Diana. 47 conveniently shoots her in the stomach-ish area and then has to leave because security arrives. This leaves her fate ~ambiguous~ until the ending where it is revealed that she faked her death and he shot her in a very non-Hitman-y way on purpose because he didn't want to kill her. Which in hindsight is pretty obvious, because it makes her like the only Hitman target to be killed off in a cutscene, and also baldy probably has a crush on her or something I dunno Absolution isn't very well written.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jan 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Your tutorial mission target in Absolution is Diana. 47 conveniently shoots her in the stomach-ish area and then has to leave because security arrives. This leaves her fate ~ambiguous~ until the ending where it is revealed that she faked her death and he shot her in a very non-Hitman-y way on purpose because he didn't want to kill her. Which in hindsight is pretty obvious, because it makes her like the only Hitman target to be killed off in a cutscene, and also baldy probably has a crush on her or something I dunno Absolution isn't very well written.

Also this happens while she is showering, complete with gratuitous male gaze-y tracking shots because videogames.