Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
I started up a new game on Commander the other day, and I discovered that yeah, I actually agree with Guava on that spark style. Not the dumping on Bulwark, which I find myself missing, but drat it's fun to just crash around and hit overdrive all the time, and just start poo poo and instigate. It's pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Still, I'm not a fan of any perk or build where "get shot" is part of how it works.

Not even the stupid XCOM:EW MEC build where you tried to optimize for minimum pilot health so a 14 health MEC could tank like 12 shots?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jade Star posted:

I am never in favor of counting on things with one in three odds.

Yeah, you're in favor of one in twenty odds, instead :laugh:

Jegan
Nov 5, 2009
Reaper's real problem is it's a skill about feeding kills to a Colonel. If it came earlier, and wasn't going against Rapid Fire, it might see more use.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Jade Star posted:

Hunter Protocol has potential to be a big swing hit, seriously weakening a just revealed pod of aliens. The problem for me is the 33% chance to activate per alien. As Guava rightfully mentions that is statistically a free shot on a pod of 3 aliens. I think he however overstates how much good that will do, as it still relies on a SPARK with their mediocre aim hitting an overwatch shot. Still it has potential to be pretty impactful during a mission and may wipe out or weaken a member of a fresh pod.

Rough math would indicate that this has a 70% chance to activate on a three-unit pod. Which is still good especially since free shot, but 70% is not 100% as XCOM teaches us.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
I'm not great with the real math behind it but ballparking 3 33% chances is essentially as good as 1 activation. There's going to be a whole spread of 1 activation, 2, and 3 activations as well at lower odds. But that would require me to know statistics!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Yeah, point is it should average out at 1 activation per 3 person pod.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The other problem being how it's suppose to one shot everything like Guava is claiming? Unless hes referring to having Julien specced out with Wrecking Ball, Hunter Protocol and the skill name that escapes me at the moment (less aim penalty on Overdrive shots) together?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vdate posted:

Not even the stupid XCOM:EW MEC build where you tried to optimize for minimum pilot health so a 14 health MEC could tank like 12 shots?

I hardly ever use MECs in general after Portent and Newfoundland. A fine early game crutch, but once I have enough meld to get the gene lab up and running I always switch to gene troopers.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Punch all the xenos

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Well. Let's do the math.

It's a 33% activation, so the chance that it would not activate is approximately 2/3.

Assuming the skill doesn't trigger at all on a three-alien pod, we have:

(2/3)*(2/3)*(2/3) = ~0.296

So the chance that the skill will trigger at least once in a three-alien pod is just over 70%. That's pretty good odds, and only goes up the more aliens you throw in. The chance that it'll go off ONLY once is something like 44.44%.

(For completion's sake, the chance that it'll activate at least twice is around 26%, and if you want three activations, you're looking at around 3.7%)

Stormgear fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jan 12, 2017

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

vdate posted:

That was awesome. What really made it broken is that a single medikit charge could then bring it back to full health. Well, that and it could eat twice as many hits from close range if you made it out of an assault MEC.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I hardly ever use MECs in general after Portent and Newfoundland. A fine early game crutch, but once I have enough meld to get the gene lab up and running I always switch to gene troopers.

I can't help but think Guava would have Words for you on this subject.

Granted, most of them would probably be 'boosh', but the point stands.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Really enjoying the LP! But you are physically hurting me with how conservative you are with your Rangers, especially the one with Untouchable! Seriously, ranked up rangers don't need cover! You have them 100% hit and crit an enemy at point blank range, and use implacable to retreat or have the non ranger chumps kill alien 2 out of 3 and just leave them out as bait for the third dude to pointlessly attack. It's like a free mimic beacon!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

vdate posted:

I can't help but think Guava would have Words for you on this subject.

Granted, most of them would probably be 'boosh', but the point stands.

To each their own. I've done MEC games, and ultimately I prefer a colonel assault/support/heavy/sniper with a full kit of gene mods over a MEC any day every day. Even then, I prefer the flamethrower over the punch for the panic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cythereal posted:

To each their own. I've done MEC games, and ultimately I prefer a colonel assault/support/heavy/sniper with a full kit of gene mods over a MEC any day every day. Even then, I prefer the flamethrower over the punch for the panic.

I prefer the MECs. Really, that's just because I prefer normal troopers but can get the MEC online to provide additional punch* until I can get to at least lasers if not plasma (being able to kill a chryssalid in one action is incredibly important in places).

*pun not intentional but I'm keeping it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ulmont posted:

I prefer the MECs. Really, that's just because I prefer normal troopers but can get the MEC online to provide additional punch* until I can get to at least lasers if not plasma (being able to kill a chryssalid in one action is incredibly important in places).

*pun not intentional but I'm keeping it.

Like I said, I regard and use MECs as an early game crutch. I make them and use them, then take them off active duty once I get lasers and carapace online - usually around the time I attack the alien base. MECs are useful, but I find their relative value peaks early and then drops off whereas gene mods take a while to get up and running but end up solidly enhancing your troops.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Like I said, I regard and use MECs as an early game crutch. I make them and use them, then take them off active duty once I get lasers and carapace online - usually around the time I attack the alien base. MECs are useful, but I find their relative value peaks early and then drops off whereas gene mods take a while to get up and running but end up solidly enhancing your troops.

See, I liked gene mods, but a maxed out MEC filled a niche nobody else could. Ignoring the broken status of mimetic skin, gene mods just let your guys do what they did already a little better. MECs fire off two high damage shots a turn, fire shells outside LOS, give you unlimited cover destruction, and generally allow you to do things no other units can do.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Cythereal posted:

Sit down your MECs? But how will you punch things? Or set them on fire?

Or make lame Terminator jokes with?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chiasaur11 posted:

See, I liked gene mods, but a maxed out MEC filled a niche nobody else could. Ignoring the broken status of mimetic skin, gene mods just let your guys do what they did already a little better. MECs fire off two high damage shots a turn, fire shells outside LOS, give you unlimited cover destruction, and generally allow you to do things no other units can do.

The unique things a maxed out MEC brings to the table, I consider less valuable than what a maxed out gene trooper (even without mimetic skin) brings to the table instead.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Cythereal posted:

The unique things a maxed out MEC brings to the table, I consider less valuable than what a maxed out gene trooper (even without mimetic skin) brings to the table instead.
Counterpoint:

BOOSH

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Shei-kun posted:

Counterpoint:

BOOSH

Someday Guava will have to do this again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Mobility, durability, and absurd damage output are all pretty good. A Not Created Equal or late promotion sniper or support MEC lets you fire the biggest guns in the game twice a turn with a high degree of accuracy. I'm not saying to build a whole team of them, especially since they can't be psychics, but there's so much a MEC can do to help the team, depending on the build. They're excellent for both flushing swarms from cover and dealing with fuckoff huge single targets with the highest damage options in the game.

I can see the appeal of running gene mods, but I prefer getting new options to being able to do what I was doing already a little better.

zyxophoj
May 24, 2014

chiasaur11 posted:

especially since they can't be psychics

Or equip a mind shield. Or have the "screw you and your mind control" gene mod. A mind-controlled MEC is a big problem.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I got two separate videos in my youtube subsriptions that say that there is now a long war mod for XCOM 2. So if you're into that sort of thing, go hog wild.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

Wheany posted:

I got two separate videos in my youtube subsriptions that say that there is now a long war mod for XCOM 2. So if you're into that sort of thing, go hog wild.

And it looks really good and I wish I had bought xcom 2 on the winter sale :c

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Nalesh posted:

And it looks really good and I wish I had bought xcom 2 on the winter sale :c

Its the early buy in for the next Humble Monthly, so you can get it for USD$12.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
There's a lot in Long War 2 I really don't like, so I believe I'm going to abstain. It feels like they just hate any kind of reliable convenience, or anything with a reliable, consistent use.

I predicted before the information came out that they would utterly neuter the ability of grenades to destroy cover, and introduce another grenade or similar mechanic that does that and little else - turns out I was almost right. While i haven't played it myself to test, supposedly the ability to destroy cover with grenades is incredibly weakened unless you take specific perks on the Grenadier class.

So in a way, it's even worse than what LW1 did, because at least then you could just give any soldier the HE Grenade (I think that was what the cover-destroying one was called?), now the only ones who can reliably destroy cover with grenades are a single class, out of nine.

I'm sure the mod will nonetheless appeal to a lot of people, but there's just too much I dislike about it to count myself among them.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

BlazetheInferno posted:

There's a lot in Long War 2 I really don't like, so I believe I'm going to abstain. It feels like they just hate any kind of reliable convenience, or anything with a reliable, consistent use.

That was one of my biggest issues with the first Long War mod. Never played it myself but watched a lot of Beaglerush playing through it. While there was a fair bit of changes that I liked, the random map placement instead of starting at the same spot every time, a lot of the new gear they introduced, that was cool. But they insisted on gimping every established tactic they could, like making berserkers able to jump onto buildings so people couldn't hide anymore, killing the instigator of a mind meld no longer killed both, among others. Dont get me started on their chain panic system, one trooper takes a light wound and next thing you know three troopers total are now crying for their mommies.

Then they started giving aliens class abilities and holy hell. I remember a mission where Beagle was dealing with a thin man with squad sight. He had a berserker breathing down his people's necks which meant every turn that thin man was sniping away at them from the other side of the map, he lost a couple good soldiers in that mission.

There are people who love that kind of difficulty spike, but I'm not one of them.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
The thing that turned me off of their mods was actually their little ADVENT security drone that could show up the mission after Gatecrasher. It's a little thing, but it was a puzzle that taught me that poo poo wasn't for me.

For those who don't know, it's a little 3 HP drone. It's got a pretty cool design even. It's also got two armor and is usually paired with a sectoid as far as I've seen.

Its attack is a multi-turn stun, which it can then follow up with a murder shot on the next turn.

Fighting it as the first pod you run into on a map usually ended with one of my people eating a mindspin, the second eating a stun, and usually one or two dying because if you brought a health kit instead of just grenades then lol, sucks to be you.

Their lasers are pretty, I like their aesthetics.

I didn't get terribly far through their class pack, as it seemed like a lot of the useful stuff was shunted further down the trees in a lot of cases. I barely remember though. The whatever they renamed the ranger to and shinobi's (lol) blades get a pretty huge buff, but that doesn't make up for the grenades.

It's probably going to be amazing for somebody, but not my cup of tea.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Rabidredneck posted:

That was one of my biggest issues with the first Long War mod. Never played it myself but watched a lot of Beaglerush playing through it. While there was a fair bit of changes that I liked, the random map placement instead of starting at the same spot every time, a lot of the new gear they introduced, that was cool. But they insisted on gimping every established tactic they could, like making berserkers able to jump onto buildings so people couldn't hide anymore, killing the instigator of a mind meld no longer killed both, among others. Dont get me started on their chain panic system, one trooper takes a light wound and next thing you know three troopers total are now crying for their mommies.

Then they started giving aliens class abilities and holy hell. I remember a mission where Beagle was dealing with a thin man with squad sight. He had a berserker breathing down his people's necks which meant every turn that thin man was sniping away at them from the other side of the map, he lost a couple good soldiers in that mission.

There are people who love that kind of difficulty spike, but I'm not one of them.

Beagle is kind of the exact wrong example, since he's best known for his top-difficulty runs and such, but yes, I do agree that Long War 1 was a lot of bullshit at times. I'm starting my own game of Long War 2 on Veteran, so I'll see how rough it is and if they've tweaked it overall.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Green Intern posted:

Beagle is kind of the exact wrong example, since he's best known for his top-difficulty runs and such, but yes, I do agree that Long War 1 was a lot of bullshit at times. I'm starting my own game of Long War 2 on Veteran, so I'll see how rough it is and if they've tweaked it overall.

I look forward to reading people's complaints about LW2; my preferred method of playing 1 was to just identify the most annoying stuff (Air game) by reading what others hate, and then alter the mod to get rid of it. Turns out that if you only keep the parts you like it's pretty fun! (Although I understand that editing arcane config files to get there isn't for everyone.)

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Andrevian posted:

The thing that turned me off of their mods was actually their little ADVENT security drone that could show up the mission after Gatecrasher. It's a little thing, but it was a puzzle that taught me that poo poo wasn't for me.

For those who don't know, it's a little 3 HP drone. It's got a pretty cool design even. It's also got two armor and is usually paired with a sectoid as far as I've seen.

Its attack is a multi-turn stun, which it can then follow up with a murder shot on the next turn.

Fighting it as the first pod you run into on a map usually ended with one of my people eating a mindspin, the second eating a stun, and usually one or two dying because if you brought a health kit instead of just grenades then lol, sucks to be you.

Their lasers are pretty, I like their aesthetics.

I didn't get terribly far through their class pack, as it seemed like a lot of the useful stuff was shunted further down the trees in a lot of cases. I barely remember though. The whatever they renamed the ranger to and shinobi's (lol) blades get a pretty huge buff, but that doesn't make up for the grenades.

It's probably going to be amazing for somebody, but not my cup of tea.

The drones aren't too difficult to hit at least. They usually only have 1 armour, but maybe you were playing on a higher difficulty?

If you like the class stuff, try just using the Long War Perk Pack. I had a pretty fun game or two using their pre-LW2 mods Shook up enough stuff, but still the same overall feel usually.

I'm going to sink a few more hours in, but I think I'm going to skip LW2 just because I've a huge backlog of other games, and I'm not very good at XCOM.

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Tylana posted:

The drones aren't too difficult to hit at least. They usually only have 1 armour, but maybe you were playing on a higher difficulty?

If you like the class stuff, try just using the Long War Perk Pack. I had a pretty fun game or two using their pre-LW2 mods Shook up enough stuff, but still the same overall feel usually.

I'm going to sink a few more hours in, but I think I'm going to skip LW2 just because I've a huge backlog of other games, and I'm not very good at XCOM.

I might have been, yeah. I'm going to give it all another shot after a few months of other folks hashing out their opinions on it.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Akratic Method posted:

I look forward to reading people's complaints about LW2; my preferred method of playing 1 was to just identify the most annoying stuff (Air game) by reading what others hate, and then alter the mod to get rid of it. Turns out that if you only keep the parts you like it's pretty fun! (Although I understand that editing arcane config files to get there isn't for everyone.)

Yeah that was my main problem with it, and why I didn't ultimately play it for too long. There were two or three good ideas packaged with eight or nine awful ones. As I'm not too into mods in the first place that was a level of fiddling I deemed not worth it. I'll wait and see how LW2 shakes out but I'm betting on more of the same.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Due to a multitude of reasons havent been able to check long war 2 yet
But I did take some quick looks on youtube and it adds a lot of cool stuff

Just hoping really hard that its not like long war 1 where the bad far outweights the good
And the mod insults you for trying to make it easier (might be confusing with a different mod)

Also, a quick aside, a lot of the bad and nedless dificulty stuff added on long war mods seem to be chalked up to -catching the original xcom spirit- ...which I kind of feel is bullshit cuz I've played all the classic xcom games, and they are nowhere near that hard (with the 1 infamous exception)

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Did you guys confuse this with the Games thread? Everyone knows that the only XCom mod Jade will ever LP is XPiratez.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Slightly more related to this thread, I finally got around finishing the drat game, because Jade started seeing enemies I never had before.

I guess this is as good of a motivator as any.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Attestant posted:

Slightly more related to this thread, I finally got around finishing the drat game, because Jade started seeing enemies I never had before.

I guess this is as good of a motivator as any.

LPs have made me finish, play and replay so many good games (Notably breaking my fear/stupidity rut in Dark Souls). Thanks LPers!

Has Jade covered Continent Bonuses and stuff in XCOM2? There's at least one that combos with the DLC hilariously (extra weapon mod slots I think?) And I'm a little interested whether anyone actively chases them.

Also Laboratory(ies).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010

Olesh posted:

Did you guys confuse this with the Games thread? Everyone knows that the only XCom mod Jade will ever LP is XPiratez.

I'm sad I never heard of that before today.

• Locked thread