Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

My favorite character this season is Director Mace.

The perfect mix of good intentions and cluelessness, with a dash of badassery when the occasion calls for it.

I really hope they don't kill him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

enraged_camel posted:

The perfect mix of good intentions and cluelessness, with a dash of badassery when the occasion calls for it.

I really hope they don't kill him off.

I agree. He is a great foil to the old guard of secrecy and working from the shadows.
We are going to get backstory on him soon. Hopefully, it turns out that he is just a goofy inhuman who was in the right place at the right time with the right attitude and not some Machiavellian, twelve-steps-ahead, super ambiguous leader like Fury was.

Edit: does he even have that Matrix of Leadership thing that Coulson gave the council of directors that mysteriously vanished?

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 13, 2017

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Aleph Null posted:

Edit: does he even have that Matrix of Leadership thing that Coulson gave the council of directors that mysteriously vanished?
Gonna say no since there was a quick line in an early episode when Mace was having to give senators a pr tour to secure the budget where he called Coulson out on how he mysteriously managed to fund Shield without any government support.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"My sister betrayed me and tried to murder me, but I talked her down. Then her goons tried to murder me again but I beat them up. Guess I'd better go with the murderers!"
(instantly gets murdered)
"Oh my god how could this happen?"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Nill posted:

Gonna say no since there was a quick line in an early episode when Mace was having to give senators a pr tour to secure the budget where he called Coulson out on how he mysteriously managed to fund Shield without any government support.

I took that as more "Since we're going public again, we have to be super loving transparent so no one thinks we're secret super-Nazis anymore". So no ambiguous funding.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

"My sister betrayed me and tried to murder me, but I talked her down. Then her goons tried to murder me again but I beat them up. Guess I'd better go with the murderers!"
(instantly gets murdered)
"Oh my god how could this happen?"

It's a good thing his powers want him to survive, because his brain sure doesn't.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom

Spergatory posted:

It's a good thing his powers want him to survive, because his brain sure doesn't.

It's wishful thinking as gently caress, but I can see the logic being "my sister talked the goons down the first time after my big family speech, and with beardman saying 'better she not be here for this' she didn't order the second time, so if she's here with me, there won't be a third time"

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

booksnake posted:

It's wishful thinking as gently caress, but I can see the logic being "my sister talked the goons down the first time after my big family speech, and with beardman saying 'better she not be here for this' she didn't order the second time, so if she's here with me, there won't be a third time"

Exactly. Nobody wants to think their own sister can murder them.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

enraged_camel posted:

I don't know that he is that clueless, just willing to appear clueless. Like, maybe his MO is that letting some things slide or checking his ego in certain circumstances is worth it to keep the train running.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You're leaving out the part where you and your sister made a super important blood pact to murder each other if the thing that just happened happens. I feel like that's really important.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

howe_sam posted:

The Koening brothers are coming back :neckbeard:

Very important question!
What colour is their lanyard?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Promo for the next episode spoils the death of an important character! Noooooo, why must the PR guy die?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlTizl_j_E

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

hangedman1984 posted:

Very important question!
What colour is their lanyard?

All of them!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

The MSJ posted:

Promo for the next episode spoils the death of an important character! Noooooo, why must the PR guy die?!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqlTizl_j_E

I'm terrible at keeping track of those guys. First I thought Mace's right hand man was the one who got his neck snapped by Ada, but then he was still around irritating everyone so I thought he was also an LMD, but apparently not. Now I guess it doesn't matter.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

If he can't survive that then he was in the wrong business anyway. :colbert:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I think Id have preferred if Aida had been more automomous and Radcliffe less full on evil. But this... also works, I guess.

At least they kept the Aida actress which I've grown to like (after catching up with Galavant during the break).

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

AbstractNapper posted:

I think Id have preferred if Aida had been more automomous and Radcliffe less full on evil. But this... also works, I guess.

At least they kept the Aida actress which I've grown to like (after catching up with Galavant during the break).

It's consistent with what we've been shown of the Darkhold, at least.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
And it's not really evil, it's just making the reader exceedingly obsessed with the desire of reading more of it, no matter the cost. While also learning from past readers' mistakes and not making it super obvious, apparently.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Radcliff. You glorious, evil, deranged son of a bitch. I like how it's implied he's so loving intelligent he took in a massive undiluted hit of Darkhold just by glancing under the cover. Even better, just wait until Radcliff is the LMD and Aida was pulling the strings all along. I'm telling you, it's going to happen.

Also I concur that Mace is great and I'm glad they're not going full Hyperion with him. He's slowly learning how Phil Coulson's Stupid loving Team of Idiots rolls and finally realizing how colossally in over his head he is. :allears:

quote:

And it's not really evil, it's just making the reader exceedingly obsessed with the desire of reading more of it, no matter the cost. While also learning from past readers' mistakes and not making it super obvious, apparently.

If there is one single thing in the Marvel Universe that I can assure you of, it's that the Darkhold is evil in papyrus format. I'm wondering if they're ever going to go into its history, though. Evil literally wrote it, as in the Primordial Evil, the pure concept before Lucifer even revolted.

So yes, going with evil here.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jan 15, 2017

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Chokes McGee posted:

Phil Coulson's Stupid loving Team of Idiots

Well according to Marvel's movie people, the Avengers can't see him.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Chokes McGee posted:

If there is one single thing in the Marvel Universe that I can assure you of, it's that the Darkhold is evil in papyrus format. I'm wondering if they're ever going to go into its history, though. Evil literally wrote it, as in the Primordial Evil, the pure concept before Lucifer even revolted.

You don't mean....Joe Quesada?

Secondary answer: Calling it now, it's from Dormammu. Or maybe Sigourney Weaver's character from Defenders.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given that we seem to be calling our predictions, I reckon that May works out she's been replaced by an LMD when she opens the Darkhold and it's just pages and pages of computer code.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You don't mean....Joe Quesada?

Secondary answer: Calling it now, it's from Dormammu. Or maybe Sigourney Weaver's character from Defenders.

You've got to go further back than that. Think Jim Shooter.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
LMD May figures out that she's an LMD, lets Fitz fix her programming, and she joins the team. Two Mays!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

counterfeitsaint posted:

LMD May figures out that she's an LMD, lets Fitz fix her programming, and she joins the team. Two Mays!

We tried that in season 2. Didn't turn out so well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The Darkhold's been around since the b/w Conan comic. In lore it was written by Chthon one of the oldest and most badass of evil entities.
:goonsay:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
At what point did Ed Hardy redesign the cover?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bring back old gbs posted:

At what point did Ed Hardy redesign the cover?

Maybe Ed Hardy got a glimpse at the book in his youth and it redesigned him
:tinfoil:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

counterfeitsaint posted:

May and May-naught? Or May B?

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

SiKboy posted:

Hey, I've just met you, and I'm an EL-EEEM-DEE, but here's my lanyard, so call me May-B!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SiKboy posted:

June.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

OB_Juan posted:

Hey, I've just met you, and I'm an EL-EEEM-DEE, but here's my lanyard, so call me May-B!

This is fantastic

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The Darkhold's been around since the b/w Conan comic. In lore it was written by Chthon one of the oldest and most badass of evil entities.
:goonsay:

Chthon also was heavily involved with the Maximoffs, being the source of Scarlet Witch's Chaos Magic and using Quicksilver as an inhabitation when he took form in the real world.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

sticklefifer posted:

Well according to Marvel's movie people, the Avengers can't see him.

This took me a couple of tries but I finally realized you got the reference and was very impressed. :golfclap:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'd applaud this.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Mulan-da May

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
So wait. Were the Koenigs proto-LMDs, or just creepily identical brothers?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
We'll know pretty soon.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Jetfire posted:

So wait. Were the Koenigs proto-LMDs, or just creepily identical brothers?

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
They also have a sister!

• Locked thread