Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

This whole Meower Rangers thing Power Rangers is doing is surprisingly well done. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Doggles posted:

This whole Meower Rangers thing Power Rangers is doing is surprisingly well done. :3:

People are so salty about it, too, and I am here for it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

People are salty about something which is already better than the new movie looks?

gently caress this fandom.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

People are salty about something which is already better than the new movie looks?

gently caress this fandom.

"I want to see the trailer/get more information about the movie! I don't want to see this!"

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It is weird that the movie is right around the corner and there isn't a trailer. You'd think the hype machine would have rolled out already, but the only new info we get is from the toyline.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
No memes

I mean, this is kind of a big time for the franchise even if you don't care about the movie, with the Ninja Steel premiere and the Justice League crossover comic and the recent adjustment the mainline comic made to the White Ranger. They have a lot they could talk about than social media memes. Sonic the Hedgehog's account does that a lot, too, but they have a lot less to be excited about.

But still... no memes.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's a difference between a parody and a meme.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I understand, but you can't avoid the connection to the cheezburger pictures and "everybody loves cats on YouTube" phenomenon.

There's been some really great PR parodies, especially at the height of it's fame. Animaniacs. MAD Magazine. That one ReBoot episode that was loaded with toku references in general. During season one/two original airing there was a guy making parody scripts for EVERY EPISODE. I'm not saying the cat video is good or bad (wouldn't be fair, I'm not watching it) but the context of being an official viral video promotion makes it a little more :rolleyes: worthy.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

They've released a few more gifs! I'm giggling like crazy at work. :3:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Craptacular! posted:

No memes

I mean, this is kind of a big time for the franchise even if you don't care about the movie, with the Ninja Steel premiere and the Justice League crossover comic and the recent adjustment the mainline comic made to the White Ranger. They have a lot they could talk about than social media memes. Sonic the Hedgehog's account does that a lot, too, but they have a lot less to be excited about.

But still... no memes.

What happened with the White Ranger in the comics?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's super not clear. There's some Alternate Universe where an evil Ranger and Rita(?) took over the Earth, and his costume is basically a fusion of the Green and White Ranger.

Which is kind of confusing because the White Ranger powers were invented by Zordon. Literally created from scratch. So who knows. We'd have a better idea if the comic could stick to the main story instead of going off on a jaunt to some unrelated adventure every other issue.

Everyone (but Billy) got to be the Green Ranger though that was neat.

The new Justice League crossover is interesting. The Rangers and Batman got into a slap fight for a bit which Batman quickly realized he had no hope of winning. Then Kimberly kidnapped him and his car with her zord. Zedd looks like he's the main villain

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

It's super not clear. There's some Alternate Universe where an evil Ranger and Rita(?) took over the Earth, and his costume is basically a fusion of the Green and White Ranger.

My working theory was that this was Eltar, and Rita took over after locking Zordon into his tube. Has that one been disproven yet?

The Phantom Ranger sort of opened this idea that maybe dudes in ranger costumes was something Zordon brought from his world.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

My working theory was that this was Eltar, and Rita took over after locking Zordon into his tube. Has that one been disproven yet?

The Phantom Ranger sort of opened this idea that maybe dudes in ranger costumes was something Zordon brought from his world.

I THINK they've said it's another reality, but it'd be pretty cool if it was Eltar.

One plot element I hope they explore is the idea that the Phantom Ranger is Zordon's son. That has some serious potential if they are on Eltar.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I think the comic has departed enough from right after Green with Evil that you can't really rely on anything after that from the show.

Plus the tease of the destroyed Megazord and also the evil ranger having Mastodon-ranger powered armies that seem to indicate it is a parallel earth.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
My guess is it's going to be an alternate Zack who accepted Rita's deal to become the Green Ranger, unlike ours who rejected it(as shown in an earlier issue)

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.

drrockso20 posted:

My guess is it's going to be an alternate Zack who accepted Rita's deal to become the Green Ranger, unlike ours who rejected it(as shown in an earlier issue)

That actually kinda makes sense. Mastodon soldiers could be using his old powers too. And his new Zord thing was called Black Dragon.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Reminds me of how I used to really enjoy Time Force, then went and watched Timeranger subbed and was like...wow this is a lot like Time Force but done better.
Wait really? When does it get good because the villain in that show seemed so cheesy and bad that it was kind of painful to watch? I legitimately wasn't expecting an Italian stereotype to be the villain.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Well when you're up against Ransik, one of the top 5 Tokusatsu villains of all time, you're bound to come up short.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If you can't handle silly villains, Super Sentai may not be for you. Sentai is often a lot darker than Power Rangers, but it's also a lot goofier, which PR replaces with PG-13 edge. (I don't intend that as criticism, I like PR too)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's super weird to compare the two and TimeRanger is possibly the best one for it.

I think, on the whole, Power Rangers is more consistent in tone than Sentai. Mind from what I've seen, of late Sentai has just lost most of its edge entirely, while Power Rangers keeps on keeping on.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

I like my sentai where kids are getting abused and characters are getting murdered.

In maskman, the yellow ranger, while in a training montage, tosses a shuriken into a guy's face. This guy was helping the squad train up their skills.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

G-III posted:

I like my sentai where kids are getting abused and characters are getting murdered.

In maskman, the yellow ranger, while in a training montage, tosses a shuriken into a guy's face. This guy was helping the squad train up their skills.

You would adore Liveman

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes

MadScientistWorking posted:

Wait really? When does it get good because the villain in that show seemed so cheesy and bad that it was kind of painful to watch? I legitimately wasn't expecting an Italian stereotype to be the villain.

There's a bunch of mediocre filler until TimeFire shows up, but the shows picks up when he comes in. Without getting into spoilers too much, I would say Time Force adopted many of the plotlines of Timeranger very closely, but took out some key elements as they were surely too dark for american tv. Because of this parts of Time Force seem soulless in comparison. More specifically TimeYellow, TimeBlue, and the original TimeRed's character stories are greatly simplified or removed completely, which is why Katie, Lucas, and Alex's characters are so lacking. And because the characters and general stories of the two series are so similar, it's hard not to see Time Force as a less compelling version of Timeranger after that.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm not a fan of the original TimeRed's thing though. Might just be me saying not muh Rangers but I feel it's just there to give the show a twist it didn't really need at the end.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

You would adore Liveman

Up until the party becomes five people. Then it becomes a cocaine fueled fantasy of pregnant men and heroic sacrifices by oversized centipedes.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Craptacular! posted:

Up until the party becomes five people. Then it becomes a cocaine fueled fantasy of pregnant men and heroic sacrifices by oversized centipedes.
:suspense:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

There's an episode where one of the new guys is impregnated with an alien. And while they don't actually use the word abortion, he basically tries to get an abortion and the voice of the alien baby in his big pregnant belly begs to not be aborted. The climax is this becomes a one episode father figure relationship, naturally.

Another episode had the villain's plot causing the side-effect of massive bugs. So you have giant centipedes and spiders etc that are basically men in suits crawling around on the floor. At one point, a lethal blast is fired at our heroes, and a giant centipede makes a slow-motion heroic sacrifice leap to save them. And then everyone sheds a tear for the heroism of the centipede, taking the show's theme of "fighting for all living things" to it's limits.

Liveman has some other silly stuff, but most of it rules: One episode starts with a gangster based on too many 80s Stallone/Arnold movies, chasing the monster of the day (who just knocked the Livemen out of their costumes), beating the poo poo out of it with fists and chains, and then he ties it up to his motorcycle and drives away dragging the monster on the road.
That guy becomes a regular character, and what I just described is actually the most boring part of his story.

It's an okay show, ending is disappointing but the road there was good. Yellow Lion is one of the better sentai heroes I've seen so far.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 15, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's really hard to find a Super Sentai with a REALLY good ending.

Hell, apply that to Toku all over.

I think Bioman will always be my favorite series. It's not goofy at all beyond just being a toku, but it's also not all that... Deep?

The characters aren't much to write home about, though Pink Five is a surprisingly powerful character any time they give her poo poo to do. The ending even manages to stick the landing, I think.

If what you want is a serious 1980s action adventure show for kids using the Sentai formula, Bioman is pretty well perfect. It doesn't have much in the way of engaging plot lines or complex character work, but it is extremely consistent from start to finish and has some great villains. Bio Hunter Silva is one of the best villains in the series, even if he is visually a repainted Hakaider.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Burkion posted:

I think Bioman will always be my favorite series.

Never would have guessed

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Burkion posted:

Hell, apply that to Toku all over.

I think Bioman will always be my favorite series. It's not goofy at all beyond just being a toku, but it's also not all that... Deep?

The characters aren't much to write home about, though Pink Five is a surprisingly powerful character any time they give her poo poo to do. The ending even manages to stick the landing, I think.

If what you want is a serious 1980s action adventure show for kids using the Sentai formula, Bioman is pretty well perfect. It doesn't have much in the way of engaging plot lines or complex character work, but it is extremely consistent from start to finish and has some great villains. Bio Hunter Silva is one of the best villains in the series, even if he is visually a repainted Hakaider.

Yeah it's weird how rarely Toku series end well(although Rider has been better overall in that area from W onwards, with only Wizard and Ghost outright screwing the proverbial pooch)

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I liked Boukenger's ending, though it would have been nice if Sakura could have just used her words. I also like the ending of Magiranger.

Mele and Leo's fate made me not enjoy Gekiranger's ending as much as I otherwise would have. I liked how this was adapted in Jungle Fury. Wild Force and Gaoranger's ending are basically the same, but Gaoranger's is a little more impactful. The Wild Force team giving up their jackets and morphers made me sad, though.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PMush Perfect posted:

Never would have guessed

I'll have you know, I was bought this avatar through my work of sheer love and admiration for Bioman.

It is a sign of pride and I love it dearly. Also never be wary of weird 80s Filipino English dubs because some of them are loving magical.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe I just got lucky, but I started getting into Sentai with my first two series being Samurairanger and Gogakiger, which both had strong good endings.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've only ever completed three shows, I've had one good and two pretty bad. PR generally does a better job with endings, it seems, even if the path to it is sometimes more torturous.

I'm going to start Jetman eventually. Out of the pre-Zyu series, Liveman and Jetman stuck out to me as trying something different. After that, I'll go Zyu onwards.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Burkion posted:

Starting with Go Busters really spoiled me for endings, yeah. Most of the others I've seen just kind of fade out.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wOe9SeaTbM

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

I'll have you know, I was bought this avatar through my work of sheer love and admiration for Bioman.

Mm, yeah. That was the reason. We'll go with that. Sure.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah it's weird how rarely Toku series end well(although Rider has been better overall in that area from W onwards, with only Wizard and Ghost outright screwing the proverbial pooch)

Wizard's wasn't terrible, the show was just way too long; I think they could have done it in 30ish like Decade and worked quite well. It's a flawed series, but I've softened a bit over time.

Ghost, though :wtc:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wizard's wasn't terrible, the show was just way too long; I think they could have done it in 30ish like Decade and worked quite well. It's a flawed series, but I've softened a bit over time.

Which one, the proper ending or the tacked on crossover that followed it? If it's the former then yeah, I can agree with that. Wizard was a deeply flawed series but I will admit it had it's moments (almost everything having to do with Beast for example. It's also the only series aside from the Decade/W crossover movie to have a female Rider who doesn't die or never transforms again after one brief fight).

Back on topic though, I thought Shinkenger and Gokaiger had pretty decent endings (in fact if the franchise had ended after the latter it would have served as a pretty good send-off all things considered).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Yeah, I think Wizard's ending, unlike the rest of it, was pretty decent.
Drive's ending was good, too.
I'm not sure if Gaim's ending was "good", but it was at least what the show was building up to.
OOO's ending was good and also sad. Ankh :(