Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

K. Waste posted:

Yo, Hidden Figures and Operation Avalanche make a surprisingly good 2016 moon movie double feature.

I do like that Matt Johnson is going against the grain and criticizing the boring mumblecore nothing happens fetish. Also, was in a couple classes with him, cooooooooool dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Death By The Blues posted:

I do like that Matt Johnson is going against the grain and criticizing the boring mumblecore nothing happens fetish. Also, was in a couple classes with him, cooooooooool dude.

Operation Avalanche is definitely an expansion on 'mumblecore,' but I think it's a much clearer descendent of Man Bites Dog, and possibly A Scanner Darkly. It has a lot of histrionic fun with the plasticity of American mythology - it's a great black comedy about the concept of 'counter-intelligence,' also explored in HyperNormalization.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So I finally thought I'd try Shudder. Watching Antiviral right now. Holy gently caress.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I loving love The World's End and I'm puzzled by people who think it's the weakest of the Cornetto trilogy.

My beef with it comes from a dislike of the main character and those similar to them. I'm supposed to cheer on this dude, but he's the type of person who is preventing Earth from being uplifted.

I like the movie, but as a tragedy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

MisterBibs posted:

My beef with it comes from a dislike of the main character and those similar to them. I'm supposed to cheer on this dude, but he's the type of person who is preventing Earth from being uplifted.

I like the movie, but as a tragedy.
I don't recall ever feeling like I was supposed to cheer him on.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
You weren't. His righteous speech at the end of the film is cribbed from a late-'60s schlock film about white supremacist, serial rapist bikers.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

K. Waste posted:

You weren't. His righteous speech at the end of the film is cribbed from a late-'60s schlock film about white supremacist, serial rapist bikers.

I wonder if they'll ever adapt The Iron Dream into a movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean, it sounds like a much better idea for a TV show than the The Man in the High Castle.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Can't wait for The Man in the High Castle on Ice.

New Series of Unfortunate Events is OK, nothing amazing *shrug*

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Detective No. 27 posted:

That's one of the few times where "it should be a series" would make the joke funnier.

CPL593H posted:

What's the thing with Sam Hyde that made everyone hate him?

Probably that he's a nazi.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Snak posted:

So I finally thought I'd try Shudder. Watching Antiviral right now. Holy gently caress.

I signed up for their trial a while back because they had a few things I wanted to check out, intending just to cancel after I watched them, and now I've been subscribed for two months because they keep adding good stuff.

And I'd definitely like to see lil' Cronenberg make some more movies. Though honestly I'd be interested to see him step away from body horror completely, something about Antiviral makes me think the results would be neat.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I know a guy who's really surprised about Sam Hyde and it's like... I don't know how you watch more than one of his videos & find that shocking.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
At this point I am more shocked that a white person isn't racist.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Shudder does in fact own.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I know a guy who's really surprised about Sam Hyde and it's like... I don't know how you watch more than one of his videos & find that shocking.

I was really into Million Dollar Extreme back when they were called Alien Mode in like 2009. It was some perfect surrealist idiocy, and totally apolitical. Then over the years they got more and more cruel and alt-righty, and eventually I had to sever. Still, that Sam Hyde TedX is a loving modern classic. There's even moments of genius in the adult swim show. I hope they turn their dumbass lives around.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Stay woke, go support less racist creators?

It's not hard, well a little hard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF5mXmk8RuQ

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The lesson here, kids, is that "apolitical" means "reactionary".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

First impressions are often wrong, but my first impression of NPH's Count Olaf is that he's kinda boring.

Jim Carrey was more interesting.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

First impressions are often wrong, but my first impression of NPH's Count Olaf is that he's kinda boring.

Jim Carrey was more interesting.

Between this and Pat Warburton replacing Jude Law, who was central to my sexual awakening, I'm not getting good vibes from this reboot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jude Law is awesome.

I like Warburton too, but I dunno. I will say NPH's Olaf got a lil interesting when he slapped the kid. I kinda like that they went there.

Although I kinda wish they hired someone who is uh...like actually old. Stephen Lang as Count Olaf.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Jude Law is awesome.

I like Warburton too, but I dunno. I will say NPH's Olaf got a lil interesting when he slapped the kid. I kinda like that they went there.

Although I kinda wish they hired someone who is uh...like actually old. Stephen Lang as Count Olaf.

Derek Jacobi as Count Olaf, he must be less costly than Harris if he was in Anonymous.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Death By The Blues posted:

Can't wait for The Man in the High Castle on Ice.

New Series of Unfortunate Events is OK, nothing amazing *shrug*

That reminds me! There was recently a show on here which was Vanilla Ice on Ice. I poo poo you not.
Here is the poster:

therattle fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jan 15, 2017

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Well put.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I wish I could give this a love react.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

therattle posted:

That reminds me! There was recently a show on here which was Vanilla Ice on Ice. I poo poo you not.
Here is the poster:

It just feels like a missed opportunity to not also have him do meth the whole time.

Ice on ice on ice.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

Slugworth posted:

It just feels like a missed opportunity to not also have him do meth the whole time.

Ice on ice on ice.

Co-starting Heisenberg Blue.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I Before E posted:

I mean of the three something has to be the weakest, and for some reason it's hard for people to admit it's Shaun Of The Dead.

Criminal Minded posted:

Yep. It's Hot Fuzz > World's End > Shaun.

They're all good films, Brent

Slugworth posted:

Ice on ice on ice.

Doesn't that go without saying?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Like libertarianism and racism, they're natural allies but there's still some important space between them.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
So, yesterday was Dead Ringers and Network. Today is gonna be Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face. Got the wifiiiii baaaaaaack.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

So, yesterday was Dead Ringers and Network. Today is gonna be Night of the Hunter and Eyes Without a Face. Got the wifiiiii baaaaaaack.

Dang, you're celebrating in style.

Every time I re-watch Night of the Hunter I think it's lowkey my favourite movie.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

Dang, you're celebrating in style.

Every time I re-watch Night of the Hunter I think it's lowkey my favourite movie.

I convinced my parents to watch it on Christmas Eve since it took place on Christmas. :v:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I Before E posted:

Between this and Pat Warburton replacing Jude Law, who was central to my sexual awakening, I'm not getting good vibes from this reboot.

Wait Patrick Warburton is the Young Pope now???

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I am only half way through the series (and it's doubtful if I will finish it,) but Now and Then, Here and There seems to be a deplorable work, in that it uses imagery of child soldiery and institutionalized sexual abuse to convey the message of "atrocities wouldn't occur if [child] soldiers could all just steadfastly refuse to be complicit with them." Not only that, but it expresses that idea with poor writing, allowing its protagonist to escape the dire consequences of his non-compliance time and again for narrative expedience. It's bizarre to see a work that is demeaning and cruel to a real, victimized group of people. It's like making a big tentpole prison break movie set during the holocaust.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Anonymous Robot posted:

I am only half way through the series (and it's doubtful if I will finish it,) but Now and Then, Here and There seems to be a deplorable work, in that it uses imagery of child soldiery and institutionalized sexual abuse to convey the message of "atrocities wouldn't occur if [child] soldiers could all just steadfastly refuse to be complicit with them." Not only that, but it expresses that idea with poor writing, allowing its protagonist to escape the dire consequences of his non-compliance time and again for narrative expedience. It's bizarre to see a work that is demeaning and cruel to a real, victimized group of people. It's like making a big tentpole prison break movie set during the holocaust.

Oh man, you should check out The Secret, where gems like "the anti-war movement just causes more war" are thrown around willy nilly as profound statements about reality on par with stuff like "everything is energy." On top of making a case for the top 1% of the wealthy being good people, it manages to accidently make a case for communism.

There is an early segment, where im not making GBS threads you, a gay man is blamed for the homophobic attacks on him because they are a result of his negative thinking. As soon as he learns The Secret, he molds objective reality into a positive paradise where magically all these haters just stop working at his job and he stops getting mugged on the street.

It sorta blew my mind how my trans friend saw nothing evil or dishonest about it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

Oh man, you should check out The Secret, where gems like "the anti-war movement just causes more war" are thrown around willy nilly as profound statements about reality on par with stuff like "everything is energy." On top of making a case for the top 1% of the wealthy being good people, it manages to accidently make a case for communism.

There is an early segment, where im not making GBS threads you, a gay man is blamed for the homophobic attacks on him because they are a result of his negative thinking. As soon as he learns The Secret, he molds objective reality into a positive paradise where magically all these haters just stop working at his job and he stops getting mugged on the street.

It sorta blew my mind how my trans friend saw nothing evil or dishonest about it.

It's important to take in evil media. Sometimes it's ideologically revealing, but in this case, I think it's more that it can teach something about craft. I'm willing to believe that the creators of this series had the best of intentions and a story they wanted to tell, and it got away from them because they didn't fully understand it and weren't willing or able to do the work of placing themselves inside that position and completely grasping the implications of it. This is a challenge I've faced in my own work. I've written some pieces that I'll never share because of it; there are times where you have to have the humility and self-awareness to accept that you aren't the right person to tell certain stories.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The main thing I've learned about criticism is to either not respond to it, or to ask constructive questions.

I love movies with goofy "future fashion". I'm waiting impatiently for an adaptation of Ubik, where characters are constantly described as wearing the most absurd, garish outfits possible:

Ubik posted:

Tweed toga, loafers, crimson sash and a purple airplane propeller beanie

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
^^^PKD predicted hipster fashion in Ubik. It's wild.

In this case, absolutely, and probably in general too. But I loving love Michael Mann and James Ellroy, for example, and I know a lot of people in this thread do too, and seems both those guys have some some pretty reactionary views on life.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

I just watched Medium Cool. What are the most powerful political films of the last few years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Budgie Jumping posted:

^^^PKD predicted hipster fashion in Ubik. It's wild.

My favorite detail is that it's a tweed toga, and I can't imagine anything more unbearably hot and heavy, except maybe a leather toga.

• Locked thread