Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Deformed Church posted:

Maybe some Paradox goodness? Stellaris and EU4 are both fairly new.

I haven't played EU4 in quite a while, but I have it and it was something I was considering. I guess that with the way I play it, it usually doesn't have a very laid back pace.

Factorio does look very promising. I'll go with that. Thanks all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have a pretty general question for the thread. I haven't paid *tons* of attention to game news in the past... 2 years or so? I'm looking for games that came out in that time period that:
-Have a laid back pace.
-Are on Steam or another PC distribution platform.
-Have cerebral gameplay. Spreadsheet games are acceptable; as long as there's some sort of strategy or thinking involved I'll be okay.
-Not a pure puzzle or adventure game. The genres I play the most are RPG and strategy games; I'd be open to management games, survival games, whatever else if it meets the other criteria.
-Nothing actively "hard". Probably anything that reviewers wouldn't go out of their way to describe as "unforgiving" is going to be fine. No roguelikes for this reason, though.

What do you guys like that fits this description?

Stellaris. It's the best strategy game of the last decade (IMHO). The pacing is glacial, but the depth is abyssal. Seriously, even running top speed non-stop exploring your home turf in a tiny circle and expanding your empire takes an hour+

If you play a xenophilic empire and are chill, you can just expand, explore and sucker punch people with quick wars. I'm trying for a federation victory right now and it's neat.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy

Deformed Church posted:

Maybe some Paradox goodness? Stellaris and EU4 are both fairly new.

How's EU4? Never played the EU series. I played Hearts of Iron 3 & 4 and CK2.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I have a pretty general question for the thread. I haven't paid *tons* of attention to game news in the past... 2 years or so? I'm looking for games that came out in that time period that:
-Have a laid back pace.
-Have cerebral gameplay. Spreadsheet games are acceptable; as long as there's some sort of strategy or thinking involved I'll be okay.
-Not a pure puzzle or adventure game. The genres I play the most are RPG and strategy games; I'd be open to management games, survival games, whatever else if it meets the other criteria.
-Nothing actively "hard". Probably anything that reviewers wouldn't go out of their way to describe as "unforgiving" is going to be fine. No roguelikes for this reason, though.

I'll definitely second the Anno series. Either the newest game, or Anno 1404 with the expansion.

On that note, I'm looking for something similiar. Something in the vein of an rpg or strategy game that's relatively cerebral. It can be challenging, just not too high-paced. The only catch is, I want a game that can easily be played in smaller chunks. Stellaris and Anno for example end up taking like at least 8 hours to finish a scenario.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fruits of the sea posted:

On that note, I'm looking for something similiar. Something in the vein of an rpg or strategy game that's relatively cerebral. It can be challenging, just not too high-paced. The only catch is, I want a game that can easily be played in smaller chunks. Stellaris and Anno for example end up taking like at least 8 hours to finish a scenario.

Open X-Com, Xenonauts, XCom 2 or Invisible Inc.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

-Have a laid back pace.

Going to recommend Thea: the Awakening here.

Set in a Slavic mythology setting, you are a small village of a dozen people trying to restore the lost power of the god you worship. Extensive crafting and a novel card game to handle all the challenges, from combat to hunting to magic.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Out of the Park baseball is a nigh-unapproachable sim in terms of depth, and if you're at all interested in the front office side of the sport is unbelievably intense

OOTP is great but Football Manager is better imho.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, Football Manager is a lot better at being an actual videogame whereas OOTP has way too many stats. I've heard good things about Eastside Hockey, but the most approachable management game at the moment that I know of is Motorsport Manager.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Have any good WW2 strategy games come out since 2012? I haven't really play any since Company of Heroes (great) and Men of War (okay) came out but I've just rewatched Band of Brothers and I've developed a real hankering for some WW2 games.

I'd also settle for other very good games set in WW2, but I'd prefer that they were single player or at least not grindy in any way. I don't have much time to play video games these days.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brownie posted:

Have any good WW2 strategy games come out since 2012? I haven't really play any since Company of Heroes (great) and Men of War (okay) came out but I've just rewatched Band of Brothers and I've developed a real hankering for some WW2 games.

I'd also settle for other very good games set in WW2, but I'd prefer that they were single player or at least not grindy in any way. I don't have much time to play video games these days.

What level of strategy are you looking for? Hearts of Iron 4 is very good, but is about top level army strategy rather than commanding individual tanks on the battlefield.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Any scale/level is cool with me, but HoN seems too complex for me to play to relax after spend all day learning other stuff. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Silent Storm 2 is real good if like like squad based strategy. It's like the jagged alliance games but in a ww2 setting with some differences.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brownie posted:

Any scale/level is cool with me, but HoN seems too complex for me to play to relax after spend all day learning other stuff. Maybe I'm wrong though?

Hearts of Iron 4 is a lot more approachable than the other HoI games. I found Hearts of Iron 3 completely impenetrable but picked up 4 in like an hour.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Brainamp posted:

Silent Storm 2 is real good if like like squad based strategy. It's like the jagged alliance games but in a ww2 setting with some differences.

I played Silent Storm a LOT when it first came out. Got to the robomechs twice, never continued past that. Awesome game though, wish there were more modern examples with even better distruction, etc.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Hearts of Iron 4 is a lot more approachable than the other HoI games. I found Hearts of Iron 3 completely impenetrable but picked up 4 in like an hour.

Oh if that's the case I'll look into it immediately. I always liked the idea of HoI so hopefully it works out!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What are some good rhythm games that emphasize accurate timing, like closer to Theatrhythm or DDR than Guitar Hero/Rock Band? I have a nice PC, a 3DS, and some other old consoles.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

What are some good rhythm games that emphasize accurate timing, like closer to Theatrhythm or DDR than Guitar Hero/Rock Band? I have a nice PC, a 3DS, and some other old consoles.

Gitarooman

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It's a bit on the easy side, but you should look up Rhythm Heaven: Megamix on 3ds. It's all about listening for tells and pushing a single button at the right time. Some of the songs are about keeping time on the on/off beat, some of them are pressing the button at a specific time. It also has some remixes, that take multiple songs and their cues and mix them all together in one big quiz of how well you've learned the previous stages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajLCKKiEMdE

I can't find a video of the english version of the first remix, but this should give a decent idea of how they work There's a demo for it on the eshop, if it looks interesting.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Brownie posted:

Grab and play Close Combat 2, A Bridge Too Far. It's an older game but it still works fine on my PC. Best captures that Band of Brothers style feeling, though it's most similar to the film its based on.

Osu! is good and free, Elite Beat Agents is a classic for the DS and the aforementioned Rhythm Heaven Megamix is brilliant.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

THUMPER

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Thumper is really easy and forgiving though, more reactive than rhythm based. I'm terrible at rhythm games and I beat it easily.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Death Road to Canada is so good I'm honestly curious about other zombie games now: I don't like FPSes, so with that in mind, what are the best zombie-related games out there?

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

StrixNebulosa posted:

Death Road to Canada is so good I'm honestly curious about other zombie games now: I don't like FPSes, so with that in mind, what are the best zombie-related games out there?

Resident Evil 4 is a tps and you shouldn't let that stop you, it's one of the best action games ever though it has stuff other than zombies going on. Dead Rising is one of the best games of its generation and has more of a classic 'Ahh! zombies lol' vibe. Both were originally AAA console games & aren't going to have exactly the same feel as DRTC.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any good games about building/sieging a castle outside of the Stronghold series i might have missed over the years? Anything after ca 2005 is good graphical vise.

Actually, it doesn't really have to be a castle, i just like building something elaborate and then having to defend it/attack stuff like it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Totally different, but The Walking Dead season one.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Nordick posted:

Yeah the campaign/story is RFG is just whatever. It works as a framework and excuse to blow everything up, that's pretty much it.

I just want to add an observation. In the first Red Faction game, all rocks were generally destroyable while man-made structures were not (save for some flavor-added concrete blocks or whatever.) In Guerrilla Warfare all the rocks are indestructible but every man-made building can be obliterated.

Brownie posted:

I played Silent Storm a LOT when it first came out. Got to the robomechs twice, never continued past that. Awesome game though, wish there were more modern examples with even better distruction, etc.

Ugh, the game definitely takes a turn once the panzerkleins show up. It's kind of a fun game, still, but...it just destroys the charm that made the first half so enthralling.

credburn fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 15, 2017

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is out there that's like the base-building part of XCom 2. I loved This War of Mine and want more of that but no "figure out how to combine stuff" like Don't Starve

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Any good games about building/sieging a castle outside of the Stronghold series i might have missed over the years? Anything after ca 2005 is good graphical vise.

Actually, it doesn't really have to be a castle, i just like building something elaborate and then having to defend it/attack stuff like it.

Castle Story is still early access but is about castle building. Medieval Engineers has great castle building physics. 7 Days to Die has good defending. Evil Genius is a classic of elaborate structure defense, as is the Dungeon Keeper series + War for the Overworld. Rimworld however is my best nomination for settlement defense.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

What is out there that's like the base-building part of XCom 2. I loved This War of Mine and want more of that but no "figure out how to combine stuff" like Don't Starve

Halcyon 5 Base Commander has base-building similar to XCom, but that isn't the focus of the game.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dead Rising 1 and 2 are real good zombie games. 3 is alright, but has nowhere near the same charm as the other, and there is no fourth dead rising title. State of Decay was interesting, but it didn't really engross me like it did others. There was also one other game, I think it was called Dead State? It was alright, but not something to pick up at full price.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Brainamp posted:

Dead Rising 1 and 2 are real good zombie games. 3 is alright, but has nowhere near the same charm as the other, and there is no fourth dead rising title. State of Decay was interesting, but it didn't really engross me like it did others. There was also one other game, I think it was called Dead State? It was alright, but not something to pick up at full price.

Dead State is an isometric tactical game like XCom but with the production values of FallOut 1.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Project Zomboid is hard but can be pretty fun (though I haven't played it in many updates).

e: Also it's in early access and the update schedule is best described as 'glacial'.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 15, 2017

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

State of Decay has a similar kind of setup as Death Road to Canada, where you build up your collection of survivors and supplies over time, although it's more about building up a solid base and making runs out to scavenge for supplies rather than constantly being on the move.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Brainamp posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Rising_4

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not a Dead Rising game :colbert:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

MPLS to NOLA posted:

Resident Evil 4 is a tps and you shouldn't let that stop you, it's one of the best action games ever though it has stuff other than zombies going on. Dead Rising is one of the best games of its generation and has more of a classic 'Ahh! zombies lol' vibe. Both were originally AAA console games & aren't going to have exactly the same feel as DRTC.

I have Resident Evil 4 and I've tried it! Not a fan of the combat, or of being locked out of combat if I choose easy mode, so I set it back down for now. I may go through it later, but ehhhhh.

Dead Rising though, I'm curious about that, and I'll check it out whenever it next goes on sale!

exquisite tea posted:

Totally different, but The Walking Dead season one.

I'm busy with other story-heavy games, but I do have it, and I'll check it out when I finish one of 'em, thank you! I hear it's good and sad, so I'll be ready for that.

Brainamp posted:

Dead Rising's on the wishlist, and...hey, Dead State looks like my jam. I should've asked about these before the xmas sale ended.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

State of Decay has a similar kind of setup as Death Road to Canada, where you build up your collection of survivors and supplies over time, although it's more about building up a solid base and making runs out to scavenge for supplies rather than constantly being on the move.

Iiiiinteresting. The graphics look kind of generic, but hey - if it goes on a good sale I'll check it out.

Thanks to everyone, this is a lot of zombie-killing for me to look into. :D

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It also has that endless survival mode, which probably strays even closer to rogue-lite-ness.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Project Zomboid is hard but can be pretty fun (though I haven't played it in many updates).

e: Also it's in early access and the update schedule is best described as 'glacial'.

Unless something has changed in the past few months, one of the most frequently complained about issues Zomboid has is that it is far too easy. It's trivial to set up an impenetrable base due to the way the game is balanced.

There's zero NPCs or progression, so the only threat is basic zombies, which can be completely nullified by finding a hammer and boarding up windows. They can't get through because they never make any real effort to break them down. There's base building, but it's pointless because again, a house with boarded windows is an impenetrable fortress.

That said, if you like zombies and do want a very challenging game (at least until you learn to game the system) that is fairly similar to Zomboid, there's Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. It's an ASCII rogueline, which many people won't like, but it's by far one of my favorite games ever made and it's totally free and open source.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Unless something has changed in the past few months, one of the most frequently complained about issues Zomboid has is that it is far too easy. It's trivial to set up an impenetrable base due to the way the game is balanced.

There's zero NPCs or progression, so the only threat is basic zombies, which can be completely nullified by finding a hammer and boarding up windows. They can't get through because they never make any real effort to break them down. There's base building, but it's pointless because again, a house with boarded windows is an impenetrable fortress.

That said, if you like zombies and do want a very challenging game (at least until you learn to game the system) that is fairly similar to Zomboid, there's Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead. It's an ASCII rogueline, which many people won't like, but it's by far one of my favorite games ever made and it's totally free and open source.

I guess when I played I just didn't know the tricks. I remember stuff like searching all over the world unsuccessfully for an axe and getting killed by an infection that happened when I got cut going through a broken window. It has been well over a year since I last played it though and I admit I didn't dive into it enough to read wikis and research optimal strategies.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Anyone got a game recommendation for a game with a really robust character creator? I'm talking primarily visually and clothing-wise, I'm doing this primarily for a D&D game! I already have Dragon's Dogma which will work in a pinch, but I mostly just want some tool where I can make good looking characters to show to people!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Galick posted:

Anyone got a game recommendation for a game with a really robust character creator? I'm talking primarily visually and clothing-wise, I'm doing this primarily for a D&D game! I already have Dragon's Dogma which will work in a pinch, but I mostly just want some tool where I can make good looking characters to show to people!

Sims, Saints Row?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Galick posted:

Black Desert Online. It's an character creator with a subscription fee. You get a free MMO with the subscription too though.

Actually, they say the character creator is free but I can't find it.