Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Has anyone here debraided mouse cables? Is it worth the trouble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

NihilCredo posted:

Try Anker's mice.

A coworker has an Anker mouse and it's a bit too tall for me, looking for something less than around 2.5" tall.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Roccat showing off some of their stuff ahead of CES. I think I need to get my hands on a Kone Pure 2017.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Roccat showing off some of their stuff ahead of CES. I think I need to get my hands on a Kone Pure 2017.

As I've mentioned previously in this thread, I quite like my Pure Optical. If I could have a mouse-related wish, it would be for the g900/403's wireless tech to be shoehorned into the Kone Optical's body.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Audax posted:

Has anyone here debraided mouse cables? Is it worth the trouble?

I had one (I think it was a Logitech) where the braid was fraying so I took a box cutter to it.

It worked fine.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

Platystemon posted:

I had one (I think it was a Logitech) where the braid was fraying so I took a box cutter to it.

It worked fine.

Went ahead and did it - it feels GREAT! Got some new mouse feet for the G403, fixed the scroll wheel with 5 pieces of tape, and it feels super light!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Has anyone here tried both the g900 and G403?

How did you find the physical feeling and weight of them compared to each other? I know the g900 is heavier but I'm curious if it's actually noticeable.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

How did you find the physical feeling and weight of them compared to each other? I know the g900 is heavier but I'm curious if it's actually noticeable.

90g to 107g is a huge difference. I have both and prefer the g403

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend a Logitech G602? Particularly, a small % of reviews seems to think the mouse wheel and buttons get worn out fast, wondering if that's just a bad luck thing or an actual design flaw with the model.

I'm basically looking to replace a G600 with something similar, might just get another but they seem to be hard to get now 5 years later. Roccat/ Razer and such seem to have similar designs out now (roccat nyth in particular looks interesting) but I've had bad experience with those so hesitant to switch.

Alternatively, anyone tried out https://www.asus.com/ROG-Republic-Of-Gamers/ROG-Spatha/?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 8, 2017

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
so I basically said "gently caress it" and copied this guy's work on reduction the g502's weight: http://www.overclock.net/t/1599416/manphalanges-light-weight-84g-logitech-g502 except for gutting any functionality out, and now it's 91g and... kinda the perfect mouse now? looks like hell, but it feels great to play Overwatch with.

Wistful of Dollars posted:

is the g403 wireless? if so then it's actually the same weight as the g900

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jan 8, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Having done some more browsing... are there any mice that do not develop double click or scrollwheel issues in a year or even months? Been checking out several, different manufacturers , and this seems to be a constant in reviews, no matter the mouse. My g600 was fine for 5 years and is just starting to show wear now, did qc get really cheap recently or what.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
No, there are no mice which you can definitively say will not develop click issues. For the G600 you will see lots of people complaining about it if you search around.

Some percentage of the vast number of each mouse made will develop click issues, and some percentage of owners of those will go online to complain about it. At the same time, yes, QC and standards seem to have gotten more lax for Logitech (among others) in the last few years. But I've had a G402 develop no issues in over a year of heavy use. Meanwhile my G502 started left double-clicks in less time than I've owned and used the G402.

emdash fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 10, 2017

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

I'm just a clown in the eyes of the world :(

m.hache posted:

I have a G500 right now that is starting to wear down. I get random double clicks or non responses occasionally from it.

I'm looking to replace it with something that:

1. Is comfortable to use. I feel my hands are slightly crunched together while holding the mouse
2. Fairly precise. I'll play the occasional shooter so I don't want that to suffer
3. At least 3 side buttons (front, middle and back). What is on the G500 is perfect.

No particular budget. If the mouse is right I'll spend what I need to. I use the drat thing enough.

EDIT: After looking at the review video posted on the other page, I'm looking for a mouse with "Wings" to rest my pinky. The Corsair Sabre didn't really "WoW' me based on his review. Does anyone have any thoughts on it? or an alternate recommendation?

My G500 also died after 6+ years of service and after spending hours and hours looking at and trying different mice I've found that there is no good replacement so far. The G402 and G502 are a different shape, fairly heavy in the case of the 502, and although they have three thumb buttons the layout is crap compared to the layout on the G500, and in addition to that they feel worse to press. I also gave the Mionix Naos a try, as the design looked ergonomic for palming. It's not as tall as the G500 so my hand drapes over it uncomfortably and my fingers still drag on the pad despite it having a "wing" for the ring finger. It's also made of the slipperiest plastic I've ever felt and is nearly impossible to pick up.

I ended up bringing home a G500s that I was using at work (a few years newer) and replacing the mouse feet with hyperglides to revitalize it a bit.

The G402/502 are worth trying, as they are at least related in shape to the last generation. But if you are as attached to the shape, button layout, and button feel as I was/am, you're probably better off buying an old stock G500s while places like Amazon are still carrying them. I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, but are there any mice that have a front/middle/back thumb button layout like the G500(s) now?

I've looked into "MOBA" mice like the Steelseries Rival 500 and I'd like to try one at some point because the thumb layout looks interesting, but I don't play MOBAs and I've heard bad things about Steelseries' software offering (spoiled by Logitech's there as well).

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Aphal posted:

My G500 also died after 6+ years of service and after spending hours and hours looking at and trying different mice I've found that there is no good replacement so far. The G402 and G502 are a different shape, fairly heavy in the case of the 502, and although they have three thumb buttons the layout is crap compared to the layout on the G500, and in addition to that they feel worse to press. I also gave the Mionix Naos a try, as the design looked ergonomic for palming. It's not as tall as the G500 so my hand drapes over it uncomfortably and my fingers still drag on the pad despite it having a "wing" for the ring finger. It's also made of the slipperiest plastic I've ever felt and is nearly impossible to pick up.

I ended up bringing home a G500s that I was using at work (a few years newer) and replacing the mouse feet with hyperglides to revitalize it a bit.

The G402/502 are worth trying, as they are at least related in shape to the last generation. But if you are as attached to the shape, button layout, and button feel as I was/am, you're probably better off buying an old stock G500s while places like Amazon are still carrying them. I haven't seen anyone else comment on this, but are there any mice that have a front/middle/back thumb button layout like the G500(s) now?

I've looked into "MOBA" mice like the Steelseries Rival 500 and I'd like to try one at some point because the thumb layout looks interesting, but I don't play MOBAs and I've heard bad things about Steelseries' software offering (spoiled by Logitech's there as well).
Any of Logitech's current lineup is a good replacement for the G500, which honestly wasn't a good mouse outside of its comfort. It had the questionable laser sensor with forced accel and angle snapping and really poor LMB/RMB switches (terrible debounce and click latency that actually decreased my performance in Battlefield). The 3-side button config was absolutely the best thing about it, and it's too bad they abandoned that design.

You're overlooking the G403 which is incredibly comfortable to palm, much lighter than the G502, and has well placed side buttons. It also comes in a wireless option if that sweetens the deal for anyone.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

The G403 has waaay less buttons. Two on the side, no right/left scroll wheel rocker, inaccessible DPI button (I remap these to useful functions depending on the game). I'd have to buy a USB footpedal or something to use push-to-talk. I'm not overlooking it, it's just pretty new and expensive, a departure in shape/design, and very limited functionality. Maybe they'll make a G503 that addresses these problems. I'd gladly pay for a new mouse that has a better sensor as long as I don't lose a bunch of buttons and features that I use. I've never had issues with the clicks, acceleration or angle snapping on my G500 and G500s, and I've tried it side by side with these other newer mice. I did get a refurb once that had really crappy feeling LMB/RMB switches, but that was an outlier for me.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

emdash posted:

No, there are no mice which you can definitively say will not develop click issues.

Naturally, 's more I'm trying to avoid the ones that definitely will. :downs:

Or maybe the correct solution is to get some cheap redragon so when that inevitably breaks it's no surprise and no big deal to replace!

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

Aphal posted:

I've never had issues with the clicks, acceleration or angle snapping on my G500 and G500s, and I've tried it side by side with these other newer mice. I did get a refurb once that had really crappy feeling LMB/RMB switches, but that was an outlier for me.
It's fine that you never had issues, and that you have a strong desire for an excess of buttons bordering on MMO gaming models. You might have to go with the Rival 500 or Corsair Saber if that's your primary desire. The button config on the Rival is certainly an interesting analogue to the G500's array

Speaking as a dedicated FPS guy, the G500 was not a good mouse. I can still vividly remember ditching my 2nd G500 due to wheel breakdown after using them for 2 years and upgrading to a Zowie EC-1 Evo, there was an exhilarating epiphany of "WOW, the mouse I was using before this was a huge piece of poo poo". lol

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

By sensei do you mean steelseries 500? Really liking the look of that button layout so thanks for bringing it up either way.

For maximum buttons, I found this silly thing. https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Catz-Tournament-Gaming-Matte/dp/B00MHTF1MO. That's even more than the G600 had. Doesn't even look quite as crazy as some of their other ones.

Aphal
Sep 14, 2004

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's fine that you never had issues, and that you have a strong desire for an excess of buttons bordering on MMO gaming models. You might have to go with the Rival 500 or Corsair Saber if that's your primary desire. The button config on the Rival is certainly an interesting analogue to the G500's array

Speaking as a dedicated FPS guy, the G500 was not a good mouse. I can still vividly remember ditching my 2nd G500 due to wheel breakdown after using them for 2 years and upgrading to a Zowie EC-1 Evo, there was an exhilarating epiphany of "WOW, the mouse I was using before this was a huge piece of poo poo". lol

I don't think wanting three side buttons and to be able to scroll left and right is really comparable to having a full numpad on the side of the mouse. Like I said, my primary desire is retaining the functionality of the mouse I enjoy using. The G500, 500s, and 502 all have around 10 "buttons" counting the functions of the rocker wheel, and the G403 has... six? I'm an FPS guy too and all the modern FPSes have a ton of triggered actions that feel much more at home on the mouse, between melee, grenade, and character abilities in stuff like Titanfall 2 and Overwatch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Need a sanity check:

Do entry level wireless logitech mice have connection problems? My cursor jumps around and is pretty inaccurate, despite the receiver being maybe 2 feet away (although not directly in line of sight). Problem gets worse when playing games like Witcher 3, Overwatch, Planet Coaster, where my PC is at load. Even my entry level wireless logitech keyboard gets crazy input delays when I dare run a modern game.

I'd like to remain wireless if possible, but I understand if nothing is going to fix that. Just figured the technology matured. I used to buy expensive mice, but I had gone through three (Logitech G5, G5, G500) despite sane, moderate use. I can pull out the mechanical keyboard again but meh.

On that note, whats the current hotness for wireless mice? I'd be using it for gaming. Don't need anything nuts, just two side buttons and maybe hyperscroll. I just want reliability and practicality at this point.

buglord fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 11, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Dali Parton posted:

Need a sanity check:

Do entry level wireless logitech mice have connection problems? My cursor jumps around and is pretty inaccurate, despite the receiver being maybe 2 feet away (although not directly in line of sight). Problem gets worse when playing games like Witcher 3, Overwatch, Planet Coaster, where my PC is at load. Even my entry level wireless logitech keyboard gets crazy input delays when I dare run a modern game.

I'd like to remain wireless if possible, but I understand if nothing is going to fix that. Just figured the technology matured. I used to buy expensive mice, but I had gone through three (Logitech G5, G5, G500) despite sane, moderate use. I can pull out the mechanical keyboard again but meh.

On that note, whats the current hotness for wireless mice? I'd be using it for gaming. Don't need anything nuts, just two side buttons and maybe hyperscroll. I just want reliability and practicality at this point.
Is there any dirt or hair trapped by the optical sensor?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Dali Parton posted:

Need a sanity check:

No. Wireless mice tech is pretty much perfect. The only thing is that it still runs on the 2.4GHz spectrum, so wifi (try changing your channel), bluetooth, microwaves, cordless telephones can still interfere with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Try a USB hub or extension.

The physical surroundings of the port can cause issues in some cases.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

The only mice not affected and are pretty much perfect and used by pros are the G900 and 403.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My MX518 is nine years old now and still works perfectly. They don't make them like they used to...

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Ihmemies posted:

My MX518 is nine years old now and still works perfectly. They don't make them like they used to...

My original G5 agrees. Though I should probably start looking at a 403 or 203 one of these days. The 203 actually looks really neat since it's a stripped down G Pro with a new sensor. Does anyone know if it's an actual new sensor in the 203 or just a new one for Logitech to be using?

E: Ah, okay... very little information, but a legitimately new sensor. http://www.overclock.net/t/1615853/g102-mercury-sensor-info

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 12, 2017

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

The Mercury sensor is all new. It's not as powerful as the 3366 but it's drat close and also won't spin out due to impact from quick lifts.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Would the G500s be an adequate replacement for my old G500? The old girl is finally going out of service with a serious problem on the right mouse button, no longer allowing me to click & drag, and the cable is all but broken at the very tip of the mouse.

I'm looking for basically the same form & comfort I enjoyed from the G500, and the G500s appears to have the same button layout. The thing I care most about is comfort, some functional thumb buttons, and a really fluent motion on the mouse pad. My budget is about 50 bucks, let's say excluding shipping.

Yay/nay?

/edit: The G502 proteus looks futuristic as hell, but I'm not sure I need that. I play mainly World of Tanks, some Skyrim, nothing that really requires l33t micro or such.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 15, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I came from a G500, and the 402 worked much better for me after initially getting a G502. You're going to notice the weight right off the bat, and the scroll wheel is a lot better in my opinion. Only caveat is that the 402 cable is not braided, so it doesn't work well with a mouse bungee.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

ufarn posted:

I came from a G500, and the 402 worked much better for me after initially getting a G502. You're going to notice the weight right off the bat, and the scroll wheel is a lot better in my opinion. Only caveat is that the 402 cable is not braided, so it doesn't work well with a mouse bungee.

With weight, do you mean it's heavier? I noticed the G500s still has the weight cassette that I can just remove. Don't think the unbraided cord would be an issue for me. The thumb buttons being closer together on the G500s initially looked like a benefit over the 402, but the more I look at tit, the more I'm intrigued by its placement.

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

With weight, do you mean it's heavier? I noticed the G500s still has the weight cassette that I can just remove. Don't think the unbraided cord would be an issue for me. The thumb buttons being closer together on the G500s initially looked like a benefit over the 402, but the more I look at tit, the more I'm intrigued by its placement.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Yeah, it's very heavy. I like a heavy mouse, but G502 is mondo heavy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Has anybody tried one of those vertical mouses?

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC

How are they?

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've tried a coworker's Anker and the height of it really annoyed me, but otherwise the grip felt good. I'm thinking about getting their newer model as it's supposedly slightly shorter with a shallower angle.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Jehde posted:

I've tried a coworker's Anker and the height of it really annoyed me, but otherwise the grip felt good. I'm thinking about getting their newer model as it's supposedly slightly shorter with a shallower angle.

How are ergo mice with gaming? I'd imagine there's an adjustment, but if all the buttons are there and it tracks like usual.....

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

I would expect any sensor that has only 3 baked in steps that top out at a mere 1600dpi in the current level of mouse tech to be extremely lackluster for gaming reliability and precision with lots of spinouts and questionable interpolation + prediction effects. I'd be all for trying out of a vertical mouse that had a top tier gaming sensor in it for curiosity's sake.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Would you say that's below your average office cubicle-grade mouse?

I hate to be contrarian but after using mice from a $10-$100 range, I never really noticed a difference when it came to "drag, click on thing". Yeah the higher end mice had DPI switches which was bomb, as with other little things like braided cables and weights, but the simple mouse aspect never felt different.

Disclaimer, my fastest paced games were like Team Fortress 2, which I played casually, so maybe I'm not noticing the higher end tracking?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

It's not even about the DPI being too low (1600 is relatively high), but the kind of sensor & firmware that has such a limited option array is almost certain to be office-usage class and have flaws like extremely low malfunction speed.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

TheRationalRedditor posted:

It's not even about the DPI being too low (1600 is relatively high), but the kind of sensor & firmware that has such a limited option array is almost certain to be office-usage class and have flaws like extremely low malfunction speed.
...what?

Lots of the best gaming mice with allegedly-flawless sensors have super limited DPI options. For example all the Zowie mice that have Avago 3310 sensors have DPI options of 400,800, 1600, 3200 and that's it. Some other mice with this sensor do offer more DPI options. This sensor is widely considered practically flawless, both the sensor and the Zowie mice that implement it are highly recommended for hardcore competitive gamers.

Limited DPI options is not a reason to assume any kind of problems like low perfect control speed. They really have nothing to do with each other.

edit: just to back up my claim about "highly recommended", zowie avago 3310 mice are among the most used by CSGO pro players http://on-winning.com/cs-go-config-setup-settings-monitor-mice-sensitivity-pros/

Col.Kiwi fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

When I say limited, I literally mean that 1600dpi is the max step in a selector system with only 3 steps. Zowie mice are really really good (except for the wheels) and their sensors are of a known, proven quality. The same cannot be said of Anker and the smart money is not in the assumption that they're better than generic office sensors, given they're marketed as inexpensive ergonomic products.