Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Yeah you you can snag a bunch of good stuff if you get a little lucky and even getting like two of the rares and a few uncommons you want for your deck is already a huge help for newer accounts. I have gotten 2 legends so far which is pretty sweet but I can't bring myself to full greed the draft. Like, I always try to end up with a deck that can at least score a win or two in the loser bracket and pass some cards for solid commons

Also what are some cool tips and tricks for the forge? I found drafting there to be harder since your offering pool is smaller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Yeah you you can snag a bunch of good stuff if you get a little lucky and even getting like two of the rares and a few uncommons you want for your deck is already a huge help for newer accounts. I have gotten 2 legends so far which is pretty sweet but I can't bring myself to full greed the draft. Like, I always try to end up with a deck that can at least score a win or two in the loser bracket and pass some cards for solid commons

Also what are some cool tips and tricks for the forge? I found drafting there to be harder since your offering pool is smaller

I mostly end up in/force whatever blue yellow is or combrei, sometimes I go feln depending on early picks. Initially I did that just because I wanted time/justice/primal cards to play with, but any combo of those three colors usually happens to have some decent fliers available. I grab removal/tempo where I can, fliers or other evasion where I can and a bit of card draw & fat dudes to tie up the ground. I don't really have much in the way of specifics, I just do it by instinct. Having a good curve is important though as the AI almost never misses out on theirs, and a lot of the more consistently difficult ai decks are more aggro oriented or have strong early drops. I dunno, the forge AI is just very predictable and kinda easy to game, the only games I usually lose are where I get a rough mulligan and they have a strong start on top of that.

In other news, I had no idea dire wolf was actually based in denver, gonna go knock on their door someday when a draft doesn't go my way~

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 15, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hauki posted:

In other news, I had no idea dire wolf was actually based in denver, gonna go knock on their door someday when a draft doesn't go my way~

One of their devs is in my WoW guild and I bitch at him when my drafts go south. :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Does anyone have the list of that haunting scream deck people were talking about? I ran into it after my placement matches and it was impressive, to say the least.

E: do echo cards get triggered by being drawn from the void?

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 15, 2017

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

One of their devs is in my WoW guild and I bitch at him when my drafts go south. :v:

You should be pestering for spectate mode and a better challenge friend "lobby" instead of being kicked back to the main menu after a game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I just started this up - basically sick of Hearthstone and not sure how committed I am to Shadowverse.

Initial thoughts:
The campaign is terrible, just god awful. It almost made me give up the game entirely. If eternal ends up having trouble attracting new players, this is 100% the first thing they have to look at because it's a three hour long afterthought that players are forced to go through. It's frustrating for new players because sometimes you get dealt hands that you can't win with, and it's frustrating for experienced players because the decks you're given are playing unbelievably bad cards (especially the Time one - the fire one is decent and actually beat the Stranger too). At the very least they should give decks that don't have do nothing garbage cards like silence and the heal your hero for 5 card.

My favorite deck I've made right now is a shadow/fire deck I made for a quest that consists of spamming lots of little guys and putting buffs and weapons on them with a few general izalios I never draw to hopefully close out the game.

My main question is how I should be earning and spending gold. I've done draft three times - the first time I got disconnected twice before the game started and went 1-3, second time I went 6-3 (at least three of my opponents got power screwed), third time I went 0-3. It feels like the majority of my losses come from the opponent making a big lifesteal minion that I don't have an answer for. After that last experience, I'm wondering if this is the best way to get cards for players who aren't very familiar with the game yet.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

No Wave posted:

My main question is how I should be earning and spending gold. I've done draft three times - the first time I got disconnected twice before the game started and went 1-3, second time I went 6-3 (at least three of my opponents got power screwed), third time I went 0-3. It feels like the majority of my losses come from the opponent making a big lifesteal minion that I don't have an answer for. After that last experience, I'm wondering if this is the best way to get cards for players who aren't very familiar with the game yet.

Even if you don't win a single game, draft is by far the best way to build a collection. Focus on drafting rares and legendaries when they come up, even if they don't fit your deck and you'll get far more shiftstone for your gold than buying packs. Do Forge until you get to Master though, as the rank up rewards make it better value, but you can only rank up once per expansion. Make an aggressive deck to run through Gauntlet until Master as well. Rakano Warcry is probably the cheapest and most effective option and also translates well to ranked grinding as it snowballs hard and a decent start will overrun most decks in pretty short order.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

No Wave posted:

Initial thoughts:
The campaign is terrible, just god awful. It almost made me give up the game entirely. If eternal ends up having trouble attracting new players, this is 100% the first thing they have to look at because it's a three hour long afterthought that players are forced to go through. It's frustrating for new players because sometimes you get dealt hands that you can't win with, and it's frustrating for experienced players because the decks you're given are playing unbelievably bad cards (especially the Time one - the fire one is decent and actually beat the Stranger too). At the very least they should give decks that don't have do nothing garbage cards like silence and the heal your hero for 5 card.
I wasn't too bothered by the intro since it's something you kinda just grind through like every other virtual card game tutorial. Though doing it 5 times was kinda exhausting since the first part was much more interesting and fleshed out than the others. Also the yellow and blue deck are probably the weakest out of the bunch. Yeah, the intro could do with some spicing up. Also agree on the starters being bad for the most part. Apparently they used to have better cards but those got rarity nerfed to uncommon/rare/legend and need to be collected now. Making a servicable red or green deck with a few crafts is possible(and is what I did at first) but going for a budget rakano(red+green) deck is smarter since it's a good workhorse deck that runs over cute gimmicks. Got me to silver in ranked pretty fast, and my budget list stays one win away from getting out of gold in gauntlet.

People have already said that drafting is pretty much the way to go for building your collection since it's still a good return if you go 0-3 and drafted some high value cards. Doing Forges until you've ranked it up to max is also a good use of coins but I feel you need to know the game a bit to really get your return there

E: I guess what keeps me from loving the game right now is the balance. Like, there are tons of retard cards that you'll see once you played a bit. How is false prince okay? How is umbren reaper okay? How is twillight raptor not the best 1 drop in the game? And the power level of most legendaries is insane seeing how they're gated behind mountains of shiftstone. That red 5/2 dragon has no downside for its effect and today I had the pleasure of playing someone that cursed me with a legendary artifact that discards my hand at the end of the turn before they played a legend dragon that permafrosted my whole board and they also cloned it next turn which made the frost trigger again

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 15, 2017

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Does anyone have the list of that haunting scream deck people were talking about? I ran into it after my placement matches and it was impressive, to say the least.

3 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
4 Levitate (Set1 #190)
3 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
1 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
4 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
2 Backlash (Set1 #200)
4 Haunting Scream (Set1 #374)
4 Herald's Song (Set1 #196)
4 Lethrai Ranger (Set1 #270)
4 Direwood Beastcaller (Set1 #271)
4 Gorgon Fanatic (Set1 #375)
4 Recurring Nightmare (Set1 #382)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
2 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
2 Feeding Time (Set1 #381)
5 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
9 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)
4 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

They do

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

lockdar posted:

3 Dark Return (Set1 #250)
4 Levitate (Set1 #190)
3 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
1 Suffocate (Set1 #251)
4 Annihilate (Set1 #269)
2 Backlash (Set1 #200)
4 Haunting Scream (Set1 #374)
4 Herald's Song (Set1 #196)
4 Lethrai Ranger (Set1 #270)
4 Direwood Beastcaller (Set1 #271)
4 Gorgon Fanatic (Set1 #375)
4 Recurring Nightmare (Set1 #382)
4 Wisdom of the Elders (Set1 #218)
2 Deathstrike (Set1 #290)
2 Feeding Time (Set1 #381)
5 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
9 Shadow Sigil (Set1 #249)
4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)
4 Feln Banner (Set1 #417)
4 Seat of Cunning (Set0 #62)

Thanks. I managed to squeeze most of this out after mulching some crap and substituting stuff for recurring nightmares (couple of sporefolk and a desperado). Gonna tear up silver, then maybe work on a zombie clockroach deck.

This deck is loving clowntown holy poo poo

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 16, 2017

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just got into this game, completed the campaign and got some packs, but I have a (possibly really dumb) question: How do I influence the number of Power cards in a deck? Is it possible? I can't seem to find the option.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Artelier posted:

I just got into this game, completed the campaign and got some packs, but I have a (possibly really dumb) question: How do I influence the number of Power cards in a deck? Is it possible? I can't seem to find the option.

In forge, you can't, otherwise I think it's in the settings, advanced deck building or something like that? Don't have the client in front of me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hauki posted:

In forge, you can't, otherwise I think it's in the settings, advanced deck building or something like that? Don't have the client in front of me.

Thanks, found it! It's under Options -> Gameplay, which I feel is very unintuitive.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Thanks. I managed to squeeze most of this out after mulching some crap and substituting stuff for recurring nightmares (couple of sporefolk and a desperado). Gonna tear up silver, then maybe work on a zombie clockroach deck.

This deck is loving clowntown holy poo poo

This is the list I've been working off of.

The deck is very fun

dead in real life
Jun 17, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

E: I guess what keeps me from loving the game right now is the balance. Like, there are tons of retard cards that you'll see once you played a bit. How is false prince okay? How is umbren reaper okay? How is twillight raptor not the best 1 drop in the game? And the power level of most legendaries is insane seeing how they're gated behind mountains of shiftstone. That red 5/2 dragon has no downside for its effect and today I had the pleasure of playing someone that cursed me with a legendary artifact that discards my hand at the end of the turn before they played a legend dragon that permafrosted my whole board and they also cloned it next turn which made the frost trigger again

What's weird to me is it's surely a conscious design choice for some of the legendaries to be blatantly overpowered. There are Magic pros on the design team who definitely know what they're doing. So maybe there's data or focus group-based stuff suggesting that players in card games are drawn to these super powerful legendaries (more than they're pissed off by losing to them?) I don't know. I'm just not a big fan of limiting creativity in deck-building with auto-includes. Do they think it's good that every yellow deck wants to run 4x Sandstorm Titans? I'd be curious to hear their design philosophy on this point.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Have you guys tried the version of haunting scream posted on rngeternal? I don't have the midnight gales so I guess it's a moot point, but I'm curious how the different builds compare because I see a bunch of different lists. Been screwing around with my own version (just based on collection) in gauntlet and there's so many different lines of play. Getting a scream/fanatic train rolling is hilarious, drawing like six cards a turn. I kinda want to watch someone better than me play it just to see their thought process though.

edit: I feel the need to tell everyone I just got loving clowned on by a dude ramping out like 8 clockroaches in a row off a perfect draw. He second sight'ed away a couple of the later ones for more value. It was like T1 initiate, T2 clockroach, T3 initiate + clockroach, etc.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 16, 2017

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Midnight Gale is great and all but when I lose to Haunting Scream it's 100% due to Beastcallers and Fanatics.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hauki posted:

edit: I feel the need to tell everyone I just got loving clowned on by a dude ramping out like 8 clockroaches in a row off a perfect draw. He second sight'ed away a couple of the later ones for more value. It was like T1 initiate, T2 clockroach, T3 initiate + clockroach, etc.

This is the first "optimised" deck that I've fought, while everyone else seems to be running some sort of starter packs deck in the league I'm in. I had a lot of flying units and he had a bad draw on Clockroaches so I pulled through but I can definitely see this running over me if I was just a little extra unlucky.

Also, Drafting is the best way to get cards as a newbie right? Better than 2 Forge runs?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Winning 7 in a Forge Run will let you rank up, which gets you a rank up chest, making it better value than draft. It is however only better value if you get the rank up. Once you hit master, Forge is much worse value than Draft.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

How does draft ranking work exactly? I'm assuming the draft itself is open/unrestricted as I don't really see how it could function easily otherwise. After that, are you matched against opponents of your rank/nearby rankings?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Holy poo poo, I crafted my first Soulfire Drake today and the number of people who just loving snap fold to it is unreal. :psyduck: This is awesome, I can't wait for number two.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
If you want to get familiar with all the cards in the game try this site - http://www.numotgaming.com/cards/ its a full visual spoiler which can be super helpful for learning what you can build toward / expect to face.

Hauki posted:

How does draft ranking work exactly? I'm assuming the draft itself is open/unrestricted as I don't really see how it could function easily otherwise. After that, are you matched against opponents of your rank/nearby rankings?

I've heard draft tries to match you by rank and doesn't really care how far along a win streak you are. But all the match making can get wonky if it takes a while to find an opponent. (There's also apparently a mmr that does ... something?)

The draft itself uses phantom boosters that were 'passed' by someone in the past (with the same person passing the first and third booster, while a second person passes the second the and fourth booster).

JoshTheStampede posted:

Midnight Gale is great and all but when I lose to Haunting Scream it's 100% due to Beastcallers and Fanatics.

Yeah, these two are what makes Haunting Scream work imo (coupled with levitate / haunting scream [HS] itself). A fun little trick that will probably get you a win against a new HS player, wait to use your removal until they've declared their attack step. At worst it means they won't HS that turn, and at best they will forget they already declared an attack, HS, and then realize they can't attack with the unit they HS'd.

There's also probably some match ups where Midnight Gale is exceptional (if I had to guess, versus stonescar burn?)

dead in real life posted:

What's weird to me is it's surely a conscious design choice for some of the legendaries to be blatantly overpowered. There are Magic pros on the design team who definitely know what they're doing. So maybe there's data or focus group-based stuff suggesting that players in card games are drawn to these super powerful legendaries (more than they're pissed off by losing to them?) I don't know. I'm just not a big fan of limiting creativity in deck-building with auto-includes. Do they think it's good that every yellow deck wants to run 4x Sandstorm Titans? I'd be curious to hear their design philosophy on this point.

Cards like Sandstorm Titan are typically referred to as 'pushed', in that the developers are pushing for them to be played (?) by making them super desirable. Titan is the most obvious example of this, but there are others out there. The balancing factor for this is that a pushed legendary costs as much shiftstone to craft as a chaff legendary, I guess? I honestly think that the Titan is tolerable, almost entirely because it lacks Aegis. That's not too say that it isn't a little oppressive for the meta or that its fun to play against when you have no legendaries.

Tin Tim posted:

False Prince falls over the moment you interact with it. Umbren Reaper is annoying, especially when those decks run recursion, but it's either too little too late vs. aggro or gets removed and/or silenced by control. Twilight Raptor isn't the best one drop because Oni Ronin exists (I don't think I'd ever torch a Raptor, but a Ronin? Definitely.) Soulfire Drake is rough, I'll agree, but I'd rank it as probably less threatening than Deepforge Plate as far as aggro finishers go. Azindel's Gift is rare and should only really be an issue in the control mirror - and even then you can probably dump your hand in response that late in the game. I'd actually never encounter Rimescale Draconus but, uh, yeah - landing a 7 cost character tends to end the game and I'd argue that's not a bad thing (and also that Shimmerpack is probably a worse offender of 7-cost instant win buttons).

That said, my point isn't that the game is perfect and/or that there aren't some questionable/problematic design decisions. If anything I'd love to know what you typically like to play in CCGs and figure out a way to help you build toward it - as a lot of these frustrations become a lot more manageable when your deck is capable of doing as many rude things as your opponents deck is. (If I recall correctly you're running mono-Justice?)

Artelier posted:

Also, Drafting is the best way to get cards as a newbie right? Better than 2 Forge runs?

Ooh, yeah, this has sort of already been answered, but Drafting >>> Packs. Forge = Drafting up until you either can't get 7 wins in Forge or you hit Master at Forge, whichever comes first, then Drafting >> Forge. (Personally I enjoy playing against other people more than the AI so I prefer drafting to Forge even though I think I'm only Silver or Gold at Forge.)

No Wave posted:

I just started this up - basically sick of Hearthstone and not sure how committed I am to Shadowverse.

Initial thoughts:

My favorite deck I've made right now is a shadow/fire deck I made for a quest that consists of spamming lots of little guys and putting buffs and weapons on them with a few general izalios I never draw to hopefully close out the game.

The campaign is overly long, but the core idea doesn't seem misplaced (here's how the game plays, here's what each faction can do) but the decks themselves are unfortunate - especially because they are what a new player will be using for a while. I think a better idea would be for them to give away the multi-faction theme decks you get as a weekly quest, whether or not they make that change before launch is... totally up in the air.

General Izalio is a weird card imo, he fills a hole that aggro tends to have (finisher), but there's so many cards that do what he does better. If you have a big board and your opponent doesn't Bloodrite Kalis is better, if you don't have a board, and they do Soulfire Drake is better. He can kind of do both, but at a higher cost, which means your opponent is more likely to have stabilized or you're more likely to have already won. That said, Stonescar is a really fun deck type imo - you just flood the board and YOLO your way to wins while playing around Harsh Rule / Lightning Storm.

That's one of the two ways draft tends to end, the other is just getting walked over by flyers. If you haven't done your forge yet give it a chance.

Interestingly, Echo cards don't get triggered by being returned to hand (at least by Praxis Displacer). Other random tip that will get you a win sometime, units exhaust after blocking, leaving them ripe for Execute-ing.

Hauki posted:

Yeah, I guess I've been sitting at master on forge since I stopped ranking up and while I can still reliably go 6-2 or 7-1, the difference between the two is substantial in terms of reward. I really need to dig back into drafting, I don't have a ton of gold saved up yet since I keep chaining forges, but I think I've got 20k or so.

Yeah I'd really like a second shimmer pack before I start running it, but oh well. I also only have one yeti party. And agreed about crafting, legendaries I feel okay about since they're the rarest/least likely to simply draft or open and are often backbones of archetypes. I only crafted the commons/uncommons I needed for rakano because they're relatively cheap and I wanted a deck that was viable on ranked immediately. Since then I haven't crafted anything outside of the titans.

Scouting Party is, imo, the most important card in the deck after Xenan Obelisk. It floods the board and gives you card advantage (usually), making it useful against aggro and control.

Kyrosiris posted:

Holy poo poo, I crafted my first Soulfire Drake today and the number of people who just loving snap fold to it is unreal. :psyduck: This is awesome, I can't wait for number two.

Oh yeah, its a huge beating. Though honestly if you're crafting for Rakano I'd do Deepforge Plates + Champion of Glory first. Those two will take you farther I think. (Soulfire Drake is amazing though, even if its Entomb effect is largely irrelevant because after landing it you usually either win or lose because its a 5-drop in aggro.)

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 16, 2017

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Anniversary posted:

Oh yeah, its a huge beating. Though honestly if you're crafting for Rakano I'd do Deepforge Plates + Champion of Glory first. Those two will take you farther I think. (Soulfire Drake is amazing though, even if its Entomb effect is largely irrelevant because after landing it you usually either win or lose because its a 5-drop in aggro.)

Already got two plates and four champs. :) Been lucky as gently caress with Plates being available in drafts, so the Drakes are the last power card that I need for really tuned Rakano.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Kyrosiris posted:

Already got two plates and four champs. :) Been lucky as gently caress with Plates being available in drafts, so the Drakes are the last power card that I need for really tuned Rakano.

Oh, uh, nevermind then. Yeah, that sounds like a winner of a deck.

I probably need to switch back to Rakano - I tried 'budget' Shimmerpack for a bit but ... its been unrewarding as of late. It helped me climb but then plateaued and I've actually lost some rank with it (first time I've lost a tier). And going back to Rakano will be a nice switch after playing a ton of Stonescar Kalis as the last aggro thing I tried.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

The corollary to this, the number of people who snap-concede when I torch their drake is also unreal given the rest of it's text.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Hauki posted:

The corollary to this, the number of people who snap-concede when I torch their drake is also unreal given the rest of it's text.

From my experience, if my Drake dies I'm out of the game as it's usually a sign that I'm being forced off of being the beat down. (Unless I have superior board presence, but then I probably shouldn't be playing the drake yet unless it's going to close out the game).

e: I only have one drake and no Deepforge Plates so that's probably why it means this more for me than for most players.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Running Navani with the maul that has warcry 3 is hilarious

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Koirhor posted:

Running Navani with the maul that has warcry 3 is hilarious

Christ, I bet.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Anniversary posted:

False Prince falls over the moment you interact with it. Umbren Reaper is annoying, especially when those decks run recursion, but it's either too little too late vs. aggro or gets removed and/or silenced by control. Twilight Raptor isn't the best one drop because Oni Ronin exists (I don't think I'd ever torch a Raptor, but a Ronin? Definitely.) Soulfire Drake is rough, I'll agree, but I'd rank it as probably less threatening than Deepforge Plate as far as aggro finishers go. Azindel's Gift is rare and should only really be an issue in the control mirror - and even then you can probably dump your hand in response that late in the game. I'd actually never encounter Rimescale Draconus but, uh, yeah - landing a 7 cost character tends to end the game and I'd argue that's not a bad thing (and also that Shimmerpack is probably a worse offender of 7-cost instant win buttons).
I guess part of it is that I have an innate aversion to "gotcha" type cards. Like when a card swings the game so far that it kinda invalidates the journey that led up to that point just because you lacked the specific answer. And stat/text bombs seem to do that for me pretty often cause they force me to just sit there until I can procure a lucky draw or lose. Sandstorm is probably the worst offender since it has so huge stats for the cost and also endurance because why not? From what I gathered on the net it seems to be that way to keep other things in check but that still doesn't really make it okay. Like, you're actively punished if you play time decks without it cause you'll probably lose against a time deck that runs it even if you're playing better. And then there is also something to be said about how it pretty much removes any competition for a deck slot cause lol if you don't put it in your deck. False Prince is pretty strong in a world where people normally play like 3/3 of stats against it. I've discovered the trick behind turning it into a frog but it still feels lovely to burn a spell that I'm probably going to need for a 5 mana card instead and also drop tempo at the same time. While we're at it, does it die to any 1 damage or better spell? Like will the sequence turn it into a frog before the spell hits it? That would change my view on it quite a lot. Reaper/soulfire is maybe just a personal thing of mine cause I dislike putting such broad effects on a body that you need to kill asap before it wrecks you. Soulfire is at least a slow effect but reaper doing damage and healing is pretty mean. Those type of cards are just like "damned if you do, damned if you don't" if you do not happen to have silence and so far I've not seen many silence cards that are worth running outside of staples like valkyrie/desert marshall. I'll give you that ronin is more of a threat in the type of deck that's build around it, but raptor is still pretty darn good if you consider its competition.

With that said though, I also realize that I'm still new and that the game also has more growth and adjustment ahead of it. I guess there is also something to be said about those cards I dislike being worse for me than for a tuned deck/experienced player but the difference in power level between rarities is really noticeable in a lot of cases. It's not a bad thing in itself but a slim line to tread on. From what I could tell so far the balance seems to be in an okay spot on average but there are just some weird spikes I've noticed while playing ladder.

Anniversary posted:

That said, my point isn't that the game is perfect and/or that there aren't some questionable/problematic design decisions. If anything I'd love to know what you typically like to play in CCGs and figure out a way to help you build toward it - as a lot of these frustrations become a lot more manageable when your deck is capable of doing as many rude things as your opponents deck is. (If I recall correctly you're running mono-Justice?)
No worries, dude. Despite my posts sometimes having a bitchy undertone I'm actually happy when people are open to discussion cause I want to learn and like to find out if my thoughts on cards are poo poo or right. I've put my mono justice list behind me and currently run a not so budget rakano list to grind gauntlet/ranked. I even pulled a plate and a drake from draft but I haven't included them right now. Such decks are my first choice when I just want to slam cards or grind wins, but they aren't that fun to play for me. At heart I'm probably a control player seeing how warrior is my only golden HS class. I would also be down for some hot meme decks but since crafting is so expensive I'm staying away from that for now. Anyway, here's my rakano + 4 seat of glory that I couldn't neatly fit into the image

I have one copy of plate/drake/fury but I can't decide what to cut for any of them right now

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Tin Tim posted:

While we're at it, does it die to any 1 damage or better spell? Like will the sequence turn it into a frog before the spell hits it?
Yes, so Temper/Vara's Favor and the like will kill it.

It's not uncommon to use "friendly" spells like Levitate on it as well as long as you also get a good effect like drawing a card.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

No Safe Word posted:

Yes, so Temper/Vara's Favor and the like will kill it.

It's not uncommon to use "friendly" spells like Levitate on it as well as long as you also get a good effect like drawing a card.
On the other hand, Vanquish and Suffocate don't (because they check power both before and after resolving).

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

standard.deviant posted:

On the other hand, Vanquish and Suffocate don't (because they check power both before and after resolving).

Right, you can't even target it in those instances I don't think. So yeah to be more specific, any spell that can target False Prince and deals at least 1 damage will kill it :)

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Tin Tim posted:

I have one copy of plate/drake/fury but I can't decide what to cut for any of them right now

I'd probably cut both Battleblur Centaur's and maybe Obliterate?

And yeah, I know what your talking about and can understand the feeling. I'm floating in Diamond 2 and often lose to decks with more legendaries (which isn't hard as the deck I'm running only has 2 in it, due to what I have). That said, I think most of the game is in a healthy place (though there are a few legendaries that feel degenerate in draft and are all but completely worthless in ranked).

Also its only sort-of control, but maybe see if you can give Haunted Scream a whack. It's pretty affordable and feels pretty control-y to me.

No Safe Word posted:

Right, you can't even target it in those instances I don't think. So yeah to be more specific, any spell that can target False Prince and deals at least 1 damage will kill it :)

I think Vanquish can target it? But have no clue what it will do on resolution.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

trip report: first draft since beta reset not going so great, repeatedly paired against master ranked dudes while I sit stuck on 2 mana after mull~

sweet, 4 master ranked players in a row plus a dude with 2 sandstorm titans and a xenan obelisk

Hauki fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 16, 2017

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Just started playing this and it seems like Hearthstone mixed with MTG and Hex but leaning towards MTG the most. Enjoying it immensely so far and already nearing silver after one day. Quite fun!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Pretty neat article about keep/redraw using several sample hands of three top-tier decks: https://rngeternal.com/2017/01/15/going-deep-keep-or-redraw/

I'll admit that's one of my biggest weaknesses right now, and I pretty much operate at a fundamental "do I have enough power/influence to actually play the units/spells? okay, cool" level instead of really going deeper. I also don't have the odds in my head like I would for Hearthstone so I can't think "okay I have X sigils left and on a redraw that means I have Y% chance of getting Z power within the first few draws".

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
Did someone just win a tournament playing Felnscar? Because if I see one more Statuary Maiden I'm going to ... probably just lose again.

Hauki posted:

trip report: first draft since beta reset not going so great, repeatedly paired against master ranked dudes while I sit stuck on 2 mana after mull~

sweet, 4 master ranked players in a row plus a dude with 2 sandstorm titans and a xenan obelisk

:majorminor:?

That's pretty absurd.

Onion Rings posted:

Just started playing this and it seems like Hearthstone mixed with MTG and Hex but leaning towards MTG the most. Enjoying it immensely so far and already nearing silver after one day. Quite fun!

Yeah, Silver is where you'll probably start seeing meta decks and the grind will start to kick in. It's surmountable, but takes a bit of time/effort and as you build a collection that will really help.

Playing through Gauntlet and Forge will help you build that collection and are highly recommended.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Anniversary posted:

I think Vanquish can target it? But have no clue what it will do on resolution.

Vanquish can target it, he'll turn into a frog and then Vanquish will fizzle on resolution.

For hot meta decks, check RNGEternal. They have monthly or biweekly tier lists and maintain deck lists for the most common version of every popular deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

JoshTheStampede posted:

Vanquish can target it, he'll turn into a frog and then Vanquish will fizzle on resolution.

For hot meta decks, check RNGEternal. They have monthly or biweekly tier lists and maintain deck lists for the most common version of every popular deck.

Oh yeah, this is a pro-tip.

No Safe Word posted:

Pretty neat article about keep/redraw using several sample hands of three top-tier decks: https://rngeternal.com/2017/01/15/going-deep-keep-or-redraw/

I'll admit that's one of my biggest weaknesses right now, and I pretty much operate at a fundamental "do I have enough power/influence to actually play the units/spells? okay, cool" level instead of really going deeper. I also don't have the odds in my head like I would for Hearthstone so I can't think "okay I have X sigils left and on a redraw that means I have Y% chance of getting Z power within the first few draws".

Yeah, I generally am pretty shallow on my assessment too. If I have power and plays I generally keep - if I don't I gamble on the mulligan. I like the multiple players giving feedback angle this has and think its pretty useful.

Also I guess this answers my question, the three tier one decks are Felnscar, Shimmerpack, and Rakano.