Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

King Kool posted:

My brother was absolutely repulsed by the Colman's Mustard I tried. He said it was just about the worst thing he's ever tasted.

I wasn't really fond of it either, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. It's not something I would buy for myself for regular use.

Put it on sausage sandwiches :britain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I only discovered English mustard and chips at about 20, and for a moment felt like having a re-do of my life til that point.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I discovered Colman's yellow mustard outside of the The British Museum in London. I got a hot dog from a cart, and the only mustard they had was in a yellow plastic squeeze bottle. I assumed that it was plain old American yellow mustard, like French's, so I squirted a shitload all over my dog. It was an eye-opening and eye-watering experience when I bit into it.

Still ate the whole thing, though.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
My go to mustard for the longest time was Woeber's Hot & Spicy mustard, it's not actually hot at all but I really enjoy the flavor. I picked up some Lowensenf Extra when someone recommended it in this thread, one of the best sandwiches I've had in a long time was leftover ham, lowensenf extra mustard and pickled onions I made along side my pickled eggs.

Someone in my family noticed my recent obsession with hot sauce and bought me a generic 12 bottle hot sauce gift pack thing. Literally 7 of the hot sauces in it have the exact same ingredients and just different labels. It's the thought that counts I guess, I'm probably just going to dump most of it in my next batch of pickled eggs.

Are there any good garlic based hot sauces? Something where garlic might actually be closer to the top on the ingredient list? I tried the Choula chili garlic and Dave's roasted garlic and a few others and they are probably the most disappointing sauces I've tried.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

My go to mustard for the longest time was Woeber's Hot & Spicy mustard, it's not actually hot at all but I really enjoy the flavor.

Is this the one you're talking about? If so, that is hands-down my absolute favorite mustard ever. I love it so and can't recommend it enough.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Is that Woebers available in the States? I've never seen it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

wormil posted:

Is that Woebers available in the States? I've never seen it.

It is. It was very common around where I grew up in southern CT, and I've found it in two separate Harris Teeter stores here in NC. Just keep an eye out for it at different supermarkets.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
anyone make their own mustard? seems like it should be easy enough

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Jose posted:

I've done it a few times. Including one of the ICSA competitions, Battle Mustard.

Grinding the seeds took a LOT more work then I thought (I used my Cuisinart), so make sure you soak them through thoroughly before processing.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I know it's not hot sauce, but my wife bought me these tortilla chips the other day. They are like nuclear-hot doritos. Just a couple had me hiccuping. They hurt so, so good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jose posted:

You can buy Colemans mustard powder in the UK at least, to make your own sinus destroying blends.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I wish you could buy a bag of roulette doritos; that's only the super hot ones. They're really good for chips.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I've got Frank's Red Hot and Weber's horseradish mustard in the fridge, truly influences of living in Western NY. Also some Tapatio. Melinda's garlic habanero when I find it.

Anyway, I got this hot sauce kit for Christmas:
https://imgur.com/a/ddj0a

Such cute little bottles for fiery death.

I've also got harissa and just about all of Punjab kicking around in my spice cabinet. The box says to experiment with stuff besides the starter ingredients... Wish me luck.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
I think I have that same set! I should probably actually get to using it, one of those things I just kind of forgot about.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Franks is complete garbage hot sauce for babies but it's a regular guilty please of mine. Drown a cold pizza in it and it's heavenly.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Franks might be the Budweiser/Miller of hot sauce, but I have yet to find something better to put in vegetable soup or soup beans.

Tried a bunch of the hot sauces I bought. Dave's Scotch Bonnet and Tropical Xtra Hot Habanero weren't really hot at all but tasted great, I'll probably bump up the Tropical to XX or XXXtra hot next time I buy some. I'm thinking about ordering some plain wings from BW3 and pouring those sauces all over them.

Melinda's Fire Roasted Habanero and Garlic had nice heat but kind of on the bland side. Cholula Chipotle tasted great and is cheap, definitely going to be a staple for me from now on. The neon green El Yucateco was a little disappointing, it's mostly just heat.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Re: Mustardchat, I wish the World Market near me still stocked Dave's Hurtin' Habanero Honey Mustard - I loved that stuff, but not enough to blow $13 on a single jar of it on Amazon Prime.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I'm just starting my journey into hot sauces and I got some Tabasco habanero sauce, it's real fruity and awesome.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Khablam posted:

Franks is complete garbage hot sauce for babies but it's a regular guilty please of mine. Drown a cold pizza in it and it's heavenly.

It's good for my roommates who are largely intolerant of spicy. Plus, yeah, it's cheap and has decent flavor.

Anyone else like Scorned Woman? I remember I first tried it when I was like 10 and stuck with me since.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Missing Name posted:

It's good for my roommates who are largely intolerant of spicy. Plus, yeah, it's cheap and has decent flavor.

Anyone else like Scorned Woman? I remember I first tried it when I was like 10 and stuck with me since.

Scorned woman is pretty drat tasty. I had it when I was really young too and I remember it tasting really good but being too hot to use regularly.

I got a bottle of 95% pain sauce in the fridge at work and I'm going through it rather quickly. It's got a good sweet flavor to balance the heat of the habeneros.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
My current favorite is a hot sauce made by an owner of one of the vendors that my company uses. He doesn't sell it. He gives it away to his clients as gifts in nice retail packaging.

It comes in two flavors:

"Habenero Hotsauce" (Easy going, like Yucateco)
and
"The Hottest Fuckin' Sauce" (it creeps up on you. It starts mild and just keeps building.)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Frankston posted:

I'm just starting my journey into hot sauces and I got some Tabasco habanero sauce, it's real fruity and awesome.

its so much nicer than the regular stuff

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Missing Name posted:

I remember I tried it when I was like 10. It was the first truly hot sauce I tried. I've had it a few times since then. It's good.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Jose posted:

Tabasco Habanero really is a good sauce. It has just a hint of the fermented pepper mash taste that I like from Tabasco, without being quite so vinegary--and a good amount of heat and fruit. If I could only have one bottle in the pantry, I would seriously consider it as the one.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jose posted:

It really is. I've just ordered a cheese & tomato pizza specifically to douse it in the stuff.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
My parents had a bottle of Tabasco sauce at their house, and it lacked the fermented taste I hate and it seemed spicier than I remember. The bottle was probably old, so maybe that had something to do with it?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I go to some pretty lovely burrito places near my work that are elevated by the Tobasco Chipotle sauce.

Also the standard tobasco was perfect in a pickle shot back in college.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I put dried habenero in vinegar to make a spicy vinegar for whatever. They reconstitute and I assume the peppers are safe pretty much forever as long as they are submerged? I don't refrigerate it and I'm still alive.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
I bought a bottle of the Roasted Carrot Habanero from this company on a whim: http://www.roastershotsauce.com/

It's pretty good. The carrot is a nice complement to the habanero, and it's not too spicy overall. I'll probably try the garlic-jalapeno one as well.

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

wormil posted:

I put dried habenero in vinegar to make a spicy vinegar for whatever. They reconstitute and I assume the peppers are safe pretty much forever as long as they are submerged? I don't refrigerate it and I'm still alive.

You should be fine but be careful when preserving things for long periods without first pasteurizing. My grandmother would keep a jar of peppers and just boil new vinegar and pour it in piping hot to refill.

http://www.nwedible.com/how-not-to-die-from-botulism-what-home-canners-need-to-know-about-the-worlds-most-deadly-toxin/

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is true of all places in Russia or just the region I was in near Saransk but every restaurant you went to had homemade mustard and it was the best.

I made my own homemade Sichuan chili oil over the weekend and it was the best decision I've ever made.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Is it cool to talk about making hot sauce in this thread?

I usually make hot sauce with formerly fresh frozen whole peppers (minus the stem and the core where it attaches obvi). Then whole garlic, salt, vinegar, blend, minimal filtering. Then I bottle it in old 12 oz Crystal hot sauce bottles thinned out a bit with a thinner commercial brand like Crystal or Goya.

Got some dried chile de árbols that are quite hot. Thinking split them lengthwise, destem, dump, rehydrate in white vinegar, then use them the same way I would the thawed ones, reserving vinegar for later. Good plan or nah?

Cholula uses árbols and that stuff is quality in my opinion.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Comb Your Beard posted:

Is it cool to talk about making hot sauce in this thread?

I usually make hot sauce with formerly fresh frozen whole peppers (minus the stem and the core where it attaches obvi). Then whole garlic, salt, vinegar, blend, minimal filtering. Then I bottle it in old 12 oz Crystal hot sauce bottles thinned out a bit with a thinner commercial brand like Crystal or Goya.

Got some dried chile de rbols that are quite hot. Thinking split them lengthwise, destem, dump, rehydrate in white vinegar, then use them the same way I would the thawed ones, reserving vinegar for later. Good plan or nah?

Cholula uses rbols and that stuff is quality in my opinion.

That should probably be fine. It's pretty similar to the recipe I like to use. Maybe save some seeds to blend if you want more heat, and throw in some honey?

e: May as well post the recipe. http://www.bluekaleroad.com/2013/01/homemade-sriracha.html

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

http://caribbeanpot.com/traditional-caribbean-peppersauce-hot-sauce-recipe/

This is my usual, but I use cider vinegar (for a bit of sweetness), and usually add yellow mustard (a trini standard) and some random citrus I've got hanging around. Some allspice if I'm feeling like a bit of jerk flavor.

I learned it from my friend's Trini father, who lives in Canada now. Apparently he got the recipe from an Irish community that's been in Trinidad for a hundred-ish years.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

So, uh...

Is it safe to say that if I've never made hot sauce before and have this kit, just throw poo poo together and see what sticks? With documentation, of course

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Missing Name posted:

So, uh...

Is it safe to say that if I've never made hot sauce before and have this kit, just throw poo poo together and see what sticks? With documentation, of course

Worst thing that happens is that it's gross. Try it! :justpost:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Frankston posted:

get el yucateco it's better in almost every way

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

get el yucateco it's better in almost every way

From where? My local supermarkets don't stock it unfortunately.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Wallyworld. But habanero Tabasco is good so gently caress the haters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Frankston posted:

From where? My local supermarkets don't stock it unfortunately.

amazon have it but its not cheap