Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

:smug::smug::smug::confused: :smug::smug::smug::argh:

computer angel fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Kavak posted:

Ironically, he supported Vietnam in the beginning as the first integrated war until it became clear that the lives of black soldiers were being valued less than white ones.

Huh? He didn't speak out in opposition at first because he was concerned it could potentially undo LBJ's civil rights agenda, but that's quite a bit different from "supporting" it.

e: Mind you this is all tangential to the fact that the real stand-out garbage today was Mike Lester whining on Twitter about Muslim terrorists something something unjustified white guilt something something.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jan 16, 2017

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

Huh? He didn't speak out in opposition at first because he was concerned it could potentially undo LBJ's civil rights agenda, but that's quite a bit different from "supporting" it.

"Since I am a preacher by calling, I suppose it is not surprising that I have seven major reasons for bringing Vietnam into the field of my moral vision. There is at the outset a very obvious and almost facile connection between the war in Vietnam and the struggle I and others have been waging in America. A few years ago there was a shining moment in that struggle. It seemed as if there was a real promise of hope for the poor, both black and white, through the poverty program. There were experiments, hopes, new beginnings. Then came the buildup in Vietnam, and I watched this program broken and eviscerated as if it were some idle political plaything on a society gone mad on war. And I knew that America would never invest the necessary funds or energies in rehabilitation of its poor so long as adventures like Vietnam continued to draw men and skills and money like some demonic, destructive suction tube. So I was increasingly compelled to see the war as an enemy of the poor and to attack it as such."

Huh, I guess he did.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

TofuDiva posted:

I truly don't want to be the one to defend Gilchrist on much of anything, but... that particular song was written in response to King's (and Bobby Kennedy's) assassination.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_I_Can_Dream

Still, I don't know how many readers would know that if they weren't there at the time.

Honestly, I figured as much (edit: that there was significance to his choice), because if that weren't the case, I'd say it was too dumb even for Gilchrist. It's still awkward IMO to honor King (with no shortage of great quotes to choose from) by quoting a white guy. And by not even mentioning King's name somewhere in there.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

sweeperbravo posted:

Honestly, I figured as much (edit: that there was significance to his choice), because if that weren't the case, I'd say it was too dumb even for Gilchrist. It's still awkward IMO to honor King (with no shortage of great quotes to choose from) by quoting a white guy. And by not even mentioning King's name somewhere in there.
Hey Sluggo's guitar is the "MLK Edition. Isn't that enough for you?

Seriously though. All else aside, it's also bad because Sluggo, a child, is playing a song that even most adults probably don't remember and then has a preachy monologue about it. It's mostly just the usual Gilchrist Nancy bad.

F Minus

I am almost positive someone has done this. I saw some video where they made giant pool tables and you use soccer balls once. It looked like fun.

Mary Worth

This is the kind of entertaining and hard-hitting advice people go to Ask Wendy for. No wonder Wilbur gets paid to tour the world if this is the level of writing he's producing day in and day out.

Rex Morgan MD

Hey at least he also quit cigarettes. Sure, he's onto cigars now, then he moves onto pipes, then...well, it's all part of his long-term plan.

Secret Agent X-9

Gee, guys. Do you think he's going to analyze the dirt on the pants?

Apartment 3-G

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Johnny Walker posted:

F Minus

I am almost positive someone has done this. I saw some video where they made giant pool tables and you use soccer balls once. It looked like fun.

Futurama did it.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Is Brooke being self-aware again?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

ceci n'est pas un joke

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Pop Team Epic

Honey Come Chatka

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Asaekkiga is easily distracted

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

RandomPauI posted:

There've been worse ways to remember MLK.

(2015)

SomeMathGuy posted:

the real stand-out garbage today was Mike Lester

Something about the third Monday of January just seems to rile him up!!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

I assumed this guy was getting disability benefit for being so deep in the spectrum.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

(2015)

Something about the third Monday of January just seems to rile him up!!

What in the hot gently caress

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Hrrmm, if only those squabbling black and white birds weren't equally responsible for disappearing the good MLK Jr. man . . . really makes you think watch the whole thing awkwardly and then mug to the camera . . .

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nice Franquin tribute.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

EasyEW posted:

Skippy (November 4-6, 1929)

What is happening? Is that a walrus or something? I can't parse what's behind the fence at all.

Also, eat a dick, Lester. And Gilchrist. Maybe eat each others dicks.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Fairly standard antics for Ballard Street today.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Phimosissy posted:

What is happening? Is that a walrus or something? I can't parse what's behind the fence at all.

It's a pool with a walrus in the corner, raised up with its flippers on the ground.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is not OSHA approved.

Working Daze is spam.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is wise beyond its years.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

This is the kind of entertaining and hard-hitting advice people go to Ask Wendy for. No wonder Wilbur gets paid to tour the world if this is the level of writing he's producing day in and day out.

"Go ask somebody for advice," writes the advice columnist.

Luann

If Dez just wants to keep trolling Bernice forever, then she can stay.

The Amazing Spider-Man

The SA forums are shunning my attempts to share my hilarious reference in a convenient manner, so just skip to an hour and 9 minutes and 43 seconds by yourselves. Please and thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjG1FPi0T3A

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 17, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise
That is a really dumb way to try to kill someone. Why not just bash his head in before you send him over the waterfall?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Peanuts: Year Six (October 20-23, 1955)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tiggum posted:

Sally Forth

I only just now realized this is an edit. I could see Ces writing this. I guess it's out there even for him in SF, but he'd definitely have something like that in M-L.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I hate to defend Gilchrist, and the comic did suck, but it's not really his fault if you look at a comic where someone sings a song about a dream of everyone living as brothers, from 1968, that was run on MLK day, and don't make the connection.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Sophie might want to consider increasing the weight on her next set of bicep curls.

9 Chickweed Lane

I'm trying to imagine what kind of multi-million dollar company has an organization chart where one of the flight attendants is next in line to become CEO.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker
Sophie might want to consider increasing the weight on her next set of bicep curls.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"You're smart enough to not believe I'm immortal. Diet Smith and Oliver Warbucks though, those guys are idiots!"

Baldo

Close to Home

Fred Basset

Frog Applause

Moose and Molly

Office Hours

Reply All

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

For those of you keeping track at home, that's one thing that should've killed Mark accounted for, 4,768 unaccounted for.

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

Pooch Café

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

My God, its full of smug!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Arlo and Janis Classic (Nov. 12, 1994)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

From the way it talks, I think that the watch is actually a XQJ-37 Nuclear Powered Pan-Sexual Roto-Plooker from Joe's Garage.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Today's Dogg™

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 17, 2017

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

literally shoot your son

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Ed Kudlick would get run out of Ballard Street.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Nancy needs to learn that there are no pizza rules. And as such, there is no god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

• Locked thread