Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I appreciate a good Predator-style self destruct mode reference here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

PST posted:

Zeb+Chopper+AP-5 felt like a filler until the end, but then fell into the typical Thrawn 'just as planned' type resolution. Also nice to see the imperial droid transform and go all terminator mode.

I actually liked the logic Thrawn used at the end. Felt like a pretty good resolution that made a lot of sense.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I like that by stopping the timer on the bomb, they ended up speeding up the timer on Thrawn finding them.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

DancinBrud posted:

I like that by stopping the timer on the bomb, they ended up speeding up the timer on Thrawn finding them.

:captainpop:

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I laughed pretty hard at Chopper almost-certainly blooping out "I have a bad feeling about this" as Zeb started dragging the droid back to base.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

tribbledirigible posted:

It was also a nice homage to the Mcquarrie concept art for C-3PO.

The whole episode was a bunch of homage to McQuarrie's concept art having a wacky adventure together, starting with with proto-C3PO fighting the spider monsters.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
And Filoni saying he wished they could have used the K2 model for the droid instead if the episode had of come later in the production cycle.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Also, a big chunk of the beginning of this episode was an homage to the opening of ESB, right down to shots and lines that were copied almost exactly.

drunkill posted:

And Filoni saying he wished they could have used the K2 model for the droid instead if the episode had of come later in the production cycle.

It definitely felt like those droids were intended to be K2 units. I do have to wonder, though, why the Empire would send out bipedal, humanoid droids to investigate possible Rebel bases on random planets throughout the galaxy. It seems like standard probe droids would do a better job, what with being able to float above rough terrain and dangerous organisms and all that.

Finally, have to say that I dislike Thrawn's flagship featuring a huge decal on it. That just doesn't feel very Imperial...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

MeinPanzer posted:

Also, a big chunk of the beginning of this episode was an homage to the opening of ESB, right down to shots and lines that were copied almost exactly.

It definitely felt like those droids were intended to be K2 units. I do have to wonder, though, why the Empire would send out bipedal, humanoid droids to investigate possible Rebel bases on random planets throughout the galaxy. It seems like standard probe droids would do a better job, what with being able to float above rough terrain and dangerous organisms and all that.

Finally, have to say that I dislike Thrawn's flagship featuring a huge decal on it. That just doesn't feel very Imperial...

Yeah but everyone knows what a probe droid is and does, and they didn't have Vader with them to determine on the fly from long lens photos that it was definitely the Rebels, and not a smuggler outpost.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

NTRabbit posted:

Yeah but everyone knows what a probe droid is and does, and they didn't have Vader with them to determine on the fly from long lens photos that it was definitely the Rebels, and not a smuggler outpost.

Telling some anxious officer that the images picked up aren't the Rebel base they were looking for had to be like 90% of Vader's day job.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Roach Warehouse posted:

I laughed pretty hard at Chopper almost-certainly blooping out "I have a bad feeling about this" as Zeb started dragging the droid back to base.

Yeah, I had to watch that twice to make sure it was what I thought it was.
Normally I'm not the biggest fan of the Chopper voice effect - it sounds too close to someone literally saying "wahp waaahp wahp wahp waahp" into a microphone, but this one time it worked out nicely.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Dave Syndrome posted:

Yeah, I had to watch that twice to make sure it was what I thought it was.
Normally I'm not the biggest fan of the Chopper voice effect - it sounds too close to DAVE FILONI literally saying "wahp waaahp wahp wahp waahp" into a microphone, but this one time it worked out nicely.
There's no way it's not Filoni, right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

But Thrawn's whole thing is he sees war through the prism of art and psychology, having artwork as a totem or banner on his ship makes sense.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MeinPanzer posted:

They were called infiltrator droids, so I got the impression they were supposed to actually sneak onto the base and catalog personnel, weapons, defenses, etc. This droid only went psycho because it was found out.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the way the infiltrator droid works reminds me of how the Terminator robots were supposed to be until James Cameron was like "sure, Arnold is terrifying and these killbots should be terrifying too".

Also this episode was amazing, just because of AP-5's snark :allears:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Snape Bot remains awesome.

I loved the references to the opening of ESB, and the Aliens like shots when Chopper was looking for the Infiltrator.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Aces High posted:

the way the infiltrator droid works reminds me of how the Terminator robots were supposed to be until James Cameron was like "sure, Arnold is terrifying and these killbots should be terrifying too".

Also this episode was amazing, just because of AP-5's snark :allears:

yeah, much more Lance Henrikson Terminator.

Also, Rickman droid is great as always.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

twistedmentat posted:

Snape Bot remains awesome.

I loved the references to the opening of ESB, and the Aliens like shots when Chopper was looking for the Infiltrator.

This and some other observations about these newer episodes makes me wonder... Do you think the writers and show-runners are beginning to aim a little higher on the age demographic as they go along? I think they might. Introducing a character like Thrawn almost requires that you don't sugarcoat how badass he is, and as a result the sense of "stakes" feels higher recently.

It's still aimed much lower than the movies are/were, but it does feel like it's pulling fewer punches lately.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
The Disney Star Wars group is very comfortable with violence in Star Wars, even the kid stuff.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

woodch posted:

This and some other observations about these newer episodes makes me wonder... Do you think the writers and show-runners are beginning to aim a little higher on the age demographic as they go along? I think they might. Introducing a character like Thrawn almost requires that you don't sugarcoat how badass he is, and as a result the sense of "stakes" feels higher recently.

It's still aimed much lower than the movies are/were, but it does feel like it's pulling fewer punches lately.

I think so. Rebels early on was very tame compared with were Clone Wars left off in terms of killing and maiming. Now it's pretty much right up there, with Sabine blowing up Stormtroopers by the dozens with TDs and fools getting sabred and stomped.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

woodch posted:

Maybe they're ageing the stories along with whoever would have first started watching the show; i.e. S1 was aimed at 10-year-olds, S2 at 11-year-olds, S3 at 12-year-olds....

That said, I think the problem is more that kids today aren't exposed to things that really wouldn't bother them. I got hooked on anime watching Robotech and Thundersub on first-run broadcast TV, and being blown away by the idea of serialized stories, character deaths, and not shying away from the horrors of war, even if keeping them relatively tame. It was quite the thing watching GI Joe, where the only thing ever blown up is vehicles, then watching Roy strumming that guitar.....

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PST posted:

Zeb+Chopper+AP-5 felt like a filler until the end, but then fell into the typical Thrawn 'just as planned' type resolution. Also nice to see the imperial droid transform and go all terminator mode.

It would be nice, if just once before the Thrawn rebel show down, that he suffer just one set back.

And not the "Yes Yes they get this but I get something more" I guess you could argue is all he does is test them and hence doesnt care if they get away. But gently caress for once lets see him pissed off.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That one idiot at Hera's house pissed him off, does that count? :v:

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Ups_rail posted:

It would be nice, if just once before the Thrawn rebel show down, that he suffer just one set back.

And not the "Yes Yes they get this but I get something more" I guess you could argue is all he does is test them and hence doesnt care if they get away. But gently caress for once lets see him pissed off.

But then he'd cease to be a writer's pet, and we can't have that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ups_rail posted:

I dunno, I tend to think that Rebels Thrawn is mostly spinning things after the fact. Chopper Base has, what, a handful of A-Wings and the Ghost? If you jumped in and blew the whole thing up (presuming the rebels don't pull a Hoth and escape) that's a blow, sure, but it doesn't end the rebellion. So now you just lost an Imperial class Star Destroyer (even if she's just damaged that's at the very least months of yard time, so that ship is out of action for the foreseeable future, and she might have been totally destroyed) and all you got out of it was the supposition that there's a rebel outpost on one of 94 planets? Yeah, you've narrowed it down, but that's an expensive way to do it.

I'd call that a setback, no matter how much Thrawn wants to call it a win.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

VolticSurge posted:

But then he'd cease to be a writer's pet, and we can't have that.

To be totally fair, I think the resolution of this episode was probably the most reasonable example of this kind of thing so far. The rebels being damned if they do, damned if they don't follows pretty naturally from the set up. They still "won" in the sense that they got the best possible outcome from a bad situation. Thrawn still "lost" because his best outcome was the droid reporting back in.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That one idiot at Hera's house pissed him off, does that count? :v:

"Hmm, my boss just spent a full minute monologuing about how much he loves art... I know! I'll advocate burning an irreplaceable artwork right in front of him, that's sure to impres-ACK MY NECK!"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqCYb3fmgEI

Kanan going full on Blind Master with his training.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dprfufVXR8k

Looks like that takes place after this one maybe?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

woodch posted:

Thrawn is a poo poo character aimed at precocious 4th graders. His presence brings the whole show down and the closer they hew towards the book Thrawn the more "putting the 'young' in 'young adult'" this show gets.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

TBH,Thrawn is starting to show signs of being a Villain Sue. Only way they can salvage him in my eyes is if the season finale is him executing his GRAND FLAWLESS PLAN which almost succeeds,only for the dominoes to spill all over the place due to something he failed to account for,such as,say, Kulani's droid troops showing up to help. Then he loses his poo poo and blames his subordinates for the screwup, because he's NEVER WRONG according to himself. That's why I like Rogue One's villain more,honestly-he's losing his poo poo,he's desperately trying to cover his rear end,and the threat is less of his BRILLIANT STRATEGY,and more of the overwhelming military power he commands. I'm not saying they should make Thrawn into a bumbling idiot. Just make him less...what's a good word? Omnipotent? All-knowing?

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jan 19, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

At least he's not using art to deduce his strategy all the time anymore? :shrug:

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Someone on reddit painted their Armada miniatures and assembled Pheonix Squadron:

https://imgur.com/a/tvpg1

They just need to add the Hammerhead and Quasar Fire carrier to the game now.

Edit: I just noticed almost all the A-Wing squads are only on 1 health, hah.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jan 19, 2017

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

drunkill posted:

Edit: I just noticed almost all the A-Wing squads are only on 1 health, hah.

Such attention to detail! Clearly the A-Wing squad with 2 health is Wedge's squad :mmmhmm:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did they say why they needed an actual base when they have that giant hanger ship. I assume that thing is still floating about somewhere with the hammerheads since the only thing we see on the ground are A-wings and CR90s.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Thrawn is a poo poo character aimed at precocious 4th graders. His presence brings the whole show down and the closer they hew towards the book Thrawn the more "putting the 'young' in 'young adult'" this show gets.

How is this different from R2D2 and C3P0? More characters designed for children. And everyone knows by now Star Wars is full of poo poo characters, it's just accepted because its Star Wars.

Thrawn is cool. Just not as cool as Chopper.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

I have no particular love for the character, but I don't see how the Rebels version of Thrawn could inspire such red hot hate. He's practically a minor character, and he's barely done anything--which is its own complaint, but certainly nothing new for the antagonists in this series. He's also probably one of my favorite voice performances in the show.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did they say why they needed an actual base when they have that giant hanger ship. I assume that thing is still floating about somewhere with the hammerheads since the only thing we see on the ground are A-wings and CR90s.

Why do we need naval bases, and air strips when we have aircraft carriers?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I think a lot of Thrawn's viability as a good villain hinges on the outcome of his big plan to expose and destroy the Rebels; if the main cast ends up escaping in the end with minimal losses ("minimal" being, in this instance, possibly the Quasar Fire and some of the fleet), then it essentially defangs him in a style not at all dissimilar to what happened with Kallus and the Inquisitors.

To avoid that, I have an inkling that Bendu's going to kick the bucket (I mean, he's a mentor archetype and everything). There's also a moderate chance of Sato biting it (pairs well with the ep with his brother's kid earlier in the season) and a slight possibility of Kanan or Zeb, the latter of which would probably piss me off because it'd feel like wasted potential.

Sabine's gotta live because she's got an ongoing arc, Ezra because something something audience surrogate, the rest because of Rogue One.

inb4 touching AP-4 death scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't see Bendu kicking the bucket because I'm not sure Bendu physically exists at all.

• Locked thread