Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
the used jason molina let me go i got at the same store also still had the CD :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Elrobot posted:

got a cool book my friend spent years working on about the dancehall art of Limonious

That book is dope.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
you can find lots of his work for not too much, I usually pick them up when I come across them since Chris mentioned the project from artists like Prince Jazz-Bo, Frankie Paul & the Original Stalag 17-18 and 19 Comp

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Although it's not strictly about vinyl the other One Love books are about Clarks in Jamaica and the Sound Systems culture
http://onelovebooks.com/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Elrobot posted:

Although it's not strictly about vinyl the other One Love books are about Clarks in Jamaica and the Sound Systems culture
http://onelovebooks.com/

The Clarks book is cool but seems like a $45 Clarks promo.

This one I really want:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Snowy posted:

The Clarks book is cool but seems like a $45 Clarks promo.

This one I really want:

Is that meant to be used for a PA system? Because having that in a house for personal use is just loving silly.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

CPL593H posted:

Is that meant to be used for a PA system? Because having that in a house for personal use is just loving silly.

Hell yeah they were used live. Check out the history of Jamaican sound systems, there's a lot of info around. I saw a lot of these walls of speakers at the Caribbean parades in brooklyn, hardcore volume and live dancehall on wheels rules.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Sound system culture is about blowing your opponent's system away and of course it isn't for home use

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
I didn't think I would get any mail today on MLK Day, but I got my surprise box from No Idea Records. It's like getting a package from that record store in my dreams, where all the records are by bands I've never heard of.

35 records, but only 34 different ones, I got two copies of a Red Money/Black Market split. There are colored ones and even a picture disc.

I think I'll get my money's worth. YAY, new bands to discover!

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was really loving nervous about this because the original composer quit last year and was replaced with Eric Drew Feldman (Captain Beefheart, Fear, Pere Ubu, Pixies, Frank Black, The Polyphonic Spree, Tripping Daisy, PJ Harvey, etc. Goddamn this dude is all over the map), but the switch-up is loving gnarly. New album on Valentine's day, first album with new poo poo in almost a decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8DjpU7ompc

I'm trying to describe Monitor and I'm at complete loss. Tribal... Industrial... Medieval... New Wave... No Wave... Uhhhhhhhh OH, there's also The Meat Puppets' first song they ever recorded in the middle of the album for no particular reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7EWATfm4A

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

caligulamprey posted:

I was really loving nervous about this because the original composer quit last year and was replaced with Eric Drew Feldman

I didn't know this. Is the only original Resident left at this point Homer Flynn?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Giga Gaia posted:

I didn't know this. Is the only original Resident left at this point Homer Flynn?
Ssssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhut up.

Yes. Although EDF's been playing with them sine the '80s and Nolan Cook's been on board since Wormwood. OH! Plus they brought back Carla Fabrizzio for the new single and that's loving great! It's kind of like how the "new guys" in Kraftwerk have been around since the '80s.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

caligulamprey posted:

Yes. Although EDF's been playing with them sine the '80s and Nolan Cook's been on board since Wormwood. OH! Plus they brought back Carla Fabrizzio for the new single and that's loving great! It's kind of like how the "new guys" in Kraftwerk have been around since the '80s.

Whatever happened to Molly Harvey?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Whatever happened to Molly Harvey?
She gave it up to raise a kid in Atlanta. She always performs with them when they come through town, though. I was toying with the idea of heading out there for the next tour (probably next year? They're workshopping a new tour this year in Japan and the UK) just because she's so good and I haven't seen her since the Demons Dance Alone tour.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

caligulamprey posted:

Oh that's cool and close enough to original imo. I wonder sometimes if they'll ever break down the 4th wall and write a book or make a movie about their career without all the pretense.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I only have Meet the Residents on vinyl but I should really get around to getting the rest of their stuff. I haven't put the time into getting to know them much past the costumes.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
went to a show last night and used my buddies distro to grab some mincecore

lots of agathocles, haggus, gowl, dfa, accused, tarantuja, parasit and a PDX and short fast and loud comp

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like me some Agothocles and Accused. 👍🏼

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

My latest purchase

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Me and a friend had a conversation about ridiculous video game vinyl. Couple of days later he gives me this.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Me and a friend had a conversation about ridiculous video game vinyl. Couple of days later he gives me this.

You're both scum.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
im going to have to allow it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOWRNLaCMJg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxU2UjAjN24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNJJ-QkZ8cM

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Nostalgia is poison.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

So many brass soft jazz solos lost to the pokemon bleep bloops.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

13 minutes til 15 minutes https://soundcloud.com/rinsefm/yamaneko310116

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

My cousin gave me this for Christmas

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
What video game is this?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Did he give you a record he got from Vinyl Me Please that he didn't want?

And are you playing the record that you have framed in cellophane hanging above your record player?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Did he give you a record he got from Vinyl Me Please that he didn't want?

And are you playing the record that you have framed in cellophane hanging above your record player?

Yeah they sent him 2 copies for some reason. I think he complained about the spindle hole being too big and they sent him a replacement.

Its a special frame that flips open when you press a button. I put the record I'm currently listening to in it. I think it's cool.

Nice try though :)

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
'haha nice try buddy' *presses button to flip open frame* 'who's the dumbass now?'

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
gently caress! owned

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I do have some albums framed though but they're doubles.

edit --> I have a video game soundtrack being delivered today.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

So was the christmas gift the jazz record or the record player?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

So was the christmas gift the jazz record or the record player?

The record.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

The record.

Thanks for sharing.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Thanks for sharing.

No problem. Do you want to know about my dad's old record player?

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Boinks posted:

I got some bleep bloop music in the mail today too. Feels so good knowing that it took the place of some bullshit Mingus repressing for Vinyl Me Now

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

No problem. Do you want to know about my dad's old record player?

Is it the one in the photo?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

rockinricky posted:

I didn't think I would get any mail today on MLK Day, but I got my surprise box from No Idea Records. It's like getting a package from that record store in my dreams, where all the records are by bands I've never heard of.

35 records, but only 34 different ones, I got two copies of a Red Money/Black Market split. There are colored ones and even a picture disc.

I think I'll get my money's worth. YAY, new bands to discover!

Mine arrived and I finally had a chance to listen to them. Only ten or so that I didn't like. (Pop Punk bugs the poo poo outta me) But there was some good hardcore and grind. Some colored wax and an etched one. Nothing I would have sought out on my own but it was fun to go through.

The haul:

The discard pile:

Band name that actually made me laugh out loud

And that previously mentioned record store took more of my money. I just stopped in to look at the bargain bin...

:nws:http://imgur.com/5BE8Prd:nws:

Then I saw a couple more things that I had actually been looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Is it the one in the photo?

Sure is. Pioneer PL-S50 direct drive. Past the prime for Pioneer stuff but its not terrible. I put a Shure M97XE on it.