Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Crystal Skull is better than Temple of Doom

Not even close.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Crystal Skull isn't great but it certainly isn't nearly as bad as the SW prequel like reputation it got. Not to say it doesn't have problems but a ton of the criticisms come off as senseless and reactionary

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's just mostly boring and the villains plot is really vague and uninteresting.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also, Shin Godzilla is really cool but my only complaint is I wish it was more visceral and body horror-ey all around. So not really a complaint at all.

Good flick. Finally glad I got to watch it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I watched and enjoyed Zoolander 2 today.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 242 days!

CelticPredator posted:

Also, Shin Godzilla is really cool but my only complaint is I wish it was more visceral and body horror-ey all around. So not really a complaint at all.

Good flick. Finally glad I got to watch it.

We need a Kaiju who starts off as a human, so we can recoil from the body horror and then cheer the rampage which follows.

I'm thinking a salaryman becomes Godzilla.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hodgepodge posted:

We need a Kaiju who starts off as a human, so we can recoil from the body horror and then cheer the rampage which follows.

There's a Rampage movie starrimg The Rock in the works.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Budgie Jumping posted:

I watched and enjoyed Zoolander 2 today.

I enjoyed it but it was pretty forgettable and I've no desire to rewatch, unlike the original.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

There was a part in Shin Godzilla where people are looking for some of Godzilla's biological material. I wish some of it landed on someone and they turned into a mutant.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Truly, there is nothing quite as exhilarating as touring the coleslaw factory.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gonz posted:

Truly, there is nothing quite as exhilarating as touring the coleslaw factory.

Did you get free samples?

When ordering coleslaw my chum always asks for cold sore. It makes me snigger

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I saw the new Star Wars movie last night. Does anyone know where the good discussion of it is in the infinite star wars thread? I don't want to have to trudge through all of it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Hodgepodge posted:

So, Tetsuo: The Iron Man?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

blue squares posted:

Hidden Figures is so good!

So happy to hear this! Can't wait for it's release over here.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just get Cronenberg to remake Frankenstein Conquers the World.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is unwatchably bad.

Unlike every other Indy movie, the action sequences are completely sterile. The pacing is just garbage overall.

The few good ideas it has are comletely overshadowed by how clunky the execution is.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hand Knit posted:

I saw the new Star Wars movie last night. Does anyone know where the good discussion of it is in the infinite star wars thread? I don't want to have to trudge through all of it.

Not sure about "good" but there's discussion of it in the last few pages of the Star Wars Spoilers thread.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
gently caress me, I think I might have pink eye. Pink eye, of all things.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MisterBibs posted:

gently caress me, I think I might have pink eye. Pink eye, of all things.

Make the best of it and pretend to be the worst Bond villain.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Why are we getting a Sicario sequel instead of another Detective Loki movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Today's YTOTD is a really good urbex channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-2RnIH1-xg

LesterGroans posted:

Why are we getting a Sicario sequel instead of another Detective Loki movie?

I've been thinking this for a while.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Today's YTOTD is a really good urbex channel:

I stumbled on this guy while watching the Dan Bell and it's interesting how this guy is more interested on abandoned things in general with a lot of his videos just being histories of abandoned or failed business ventures like Ames (which references Dan Bell who at ones point explored an abandoned Ames) and various failed Disney projects.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

plz dont pull out posted:

If we're talking low budget animated movies I'm gonna post this because I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyDg2oikbQ

The song is surprisingly catchy, but dear God, that animation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

I stumbled on this guy while watching the Dan Bell and it's interesting how this guy is more interested on abandoned things in general with a lot of his videos just being histories of abandoned or failed business ventures like Ames (which references Dan Bell who at ones point explored an abandoned Ames) and various failed Disney projects.

I think it's interesting how many of these guys are into Disney.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well they're already fascinated by malls, and Disney parks are like the supreme evolution of those type of environments

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I wonder what the best Six Flags New Orleans Urbex vid is.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

plz dont pull out posted:

If we're talking low budget animated movies I'm gonna post this because I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyDg2oikbQ

Hmm...

edit: We really missed out on the Schwartz & Company Cinematic Universe

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 17, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has a good twenty minutes or so. More quality than the entire Hobbit Trilogy combined.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

weekly font posted:

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has a good twenty minutes or so. More quality than the entire Hobbit Trilogy combined.

As much poo poo as the Nuke the Fridge part got online it ended up giving us the best shot in the whole film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

As much poo poo as the Nuke the Fridge part got online it ended up giving us the best shot in the whole film.

It's the prototypical example of what happens in writing when you work backward from a cool image: you bend over backward to get there and everything leading up to it feels like a convoluted mess.

Indiana Jones in a fake nuclear town is also a great idea. It's just a shame the whole thing was shot and lit terribly, color-graded to all hell, and was ultimately hollow, existing only as an interesting set piece with little value to the film.

It's playing with some interesting thematic elements of the world leaving Jones's era behind, but man what a mess.

e: I feel like if they'd written down the main plot points of the final script, given that to a new writer, and never let that writer see any of the previous scripts that general series of events in the film could have worked out pretty well. But talk about a script with too many cooks.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 17, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

feedmyleg posted:

It's playing with some interesting thematic elements of the world leaving Jones's era behind, but man what a mess.

This is why the stuff with Mutt in the bar works as well.

Him being accused of being a communist is pretty ridiculous, though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The whole thing should have just been Mutt vs. psycho-fascist Cate Blanchett w/ the ants as a featured player

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

The whole thing should have just been Mutt vs. psycho-fascist Cate Blanchett w/ the ants as a featured player

And yet Mutt and Cate Blanchett having a sword-fight between moving jeeps is so loving terrible in its execution. It's like, the opposite of any of the dynamic actions scenes in the previous films.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Snak posted:

And yet Mutt and Cate Blanchett having a sword-fight between moving jeeps is so loving terrible in its execution. It's like, the opposite of any of the dynamic actions scenes in the previous films.

It's Lucas as gently caress

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Spielberg's TinTin movie is already the best new Indiana Jones we're ever going to get

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My girlfriend and her housemate got kinda drunk during that awful Chiefs/Steelers game on Sunday, and while browsing Netflix my girlfriend told her housemate to watch It Follows, and then I got them both to watch Green Room. drat good double-feature, and I loved Green Room even more the second time around. It just goes loving hard really quickly.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I went in completely blind because somehow it's the only Coens movie that I've never heard anyone bring up in casual conversation, and it really was great. It wasn't what I was expecting but I think it might be one of my favorites of theirs.

It's almost definitely their best-edited film, and probably my favorite of their "series of vignettes about one person" thing they've been doing since No Country for Old Men.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

weekly font posted:

It's Lucas as gently caress

It's the same evolution as the lightsaber fights.

Ew.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Not sure if any of you have worked on music videos before, but this is perfect in every way, and also explains how terrible it is to work on these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9L3j-lVLwk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just found out the soundtrack to the PS1 classic Sentinel Returns was composed by John Carpenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tx2WgY98MVE

• Locked thread