Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/816349444207558656

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The director of my department just came into my office with a question and started playing with my chaos emerald.

I worry now that he has gained some of its power. Can such a man be trusted with CHAOS CONTROL?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

beep by grandpa posted:

The director of my department just came into my office with a question and started playing with my chaos emerald.

So that's what they're calling it these days huh :getin:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Mania's been confirmed for the Switch finally. Same trailer, no other new content yet.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Idk if you guys noticed it but there was like 2 seconds of Sonic 2017 footage at the very end of the Switchmas closing montage. I'm at work so I can't really pull it up atm.

It looked like modern sonic boosting from a 2D perspective from what I remember (I was watching in bed half-awake)

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Actually I was so tired there is a distinct possibility that I could have just made the entire thing up...

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
It was just a clip of the Project 2017 teaser they showed before.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/bootleg_stuff/status/820326427736375296

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/tracker_td/status/821372144579911684

I hope you're happy Ken.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

What does this mean for buying the megadrive issues? I'd like to get those when my tax return comes around. I love love love the art in them, Tyson Hesse's art blows me away every time

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Sucks if true, that comic was genuinely good

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Man, I loved those comics since I was just a kid. Even if they did turn into furry soap operas at times.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Am I correct in recalling that Sonic was the longest continually running title in comics?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The longest running licensed comic based on a video game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

The longest running licensed comic based on a video game.

Which makes it weird why Sega (or Archie as the case might be) is suddenly deciding to pull the plug now. Has there been any further info released about this?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

No.

We don't even really know what's going on.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Larryb posted:

Which makes it weird why Sega (or Archie as the case might be) is suddenly deciding to pull the plug now. Has there been any further info released about this?

If it's really happening it probably has something to do with Sonic Boom and an interesting in refocusing and rebranding the character. For good or ill the Sonic comic is largely out of their control and may not represent what they want from the characters or they may just not like having something being published with their IP that doesn't fit their marketing plans.

Or maybe nothing is happening at all, who knows?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Boom is already on its way out. The Boom comic was cancelled, the show was exiled to Boomerang, and all three of its titles have bombed.

So who knows?

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Probably it's not selling well

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

I wonder if Sega has to pay Nakamura royalties everytime Sonic Twitter guy posts a Sanic meme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnwXmFwVSVM

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

January is almost over......

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just brings us another step closer to Mania.

The good kind, I mean.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sonic is best, he's scootin' and rootin'! Way past cool. Been playing Sonic 3 & Knuckles on that sweet SEGA collection on steam, great stuff. Replayed the first two a few years ago. The first one blew me away as a kid, was quite the thing.

Sonic Mania looks good!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

So I was playing Sonic 2 and it turns out there's one starfish robot in Metropolis that isn't inside a solid wall and you can kill it by jumping into it. I wouldn't have thought you could since they're basically the bombs from Sonic 1. Well that's my contribution.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Did a flicky pop out? Because if one did that time, that means every other time...

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Paused posted:

Did a flicky pop out? Because if one did that time, that means every other time...

Something I always thought was dark is in Hydrocity Zone those blue torpedo badniks have animals come out when you bounce on them but if they crash into you and blow up, nothing comes out :911:

Question just for fun, do you guys pronounce Hydrocity Zone as "hydro - city" or "hydrossity" (kinda similar to "velocity"). I've always said the latter in my head.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's hydro city but sometimes for fun i do say it that second way.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
When I was eight I figured it was like velocity but if you asked me now, I'd probably say Hydro City.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The idea of it being a play on words I didn't get til now amuses me immensely.

I really hope that's one of the re-done levels in mania. Of course it'll be carnival night from three, bleh.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

beep by grandpa posted:

Something I always thought was dark is in Hydrocity Zone those blue torpedo badniks have animals come out when you bounce on them but if they crash into you and blow up, nothing comes out :911:

Question just for fun, do you guys pronounce Hydrocity Zone as "hydro - city" or "hydrossity" (kinda similar to "velocity"). I've always said the latter in my head.

Same.

Also it's weird. I think I'm more excited for this than I am for Zelda at this point. I'm certainly getting it for Switch because being able to play Mania on the tube will make Monday mornings so much nicer.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm excited for sonic on the Switch and all but I'm always gonna have a chip on my shoulder for each day that goes by that we don't have a taxman Sonic 3 & Knuckles for iOS/Android/Switch/etc :(

I'd buy a switch day 1 if it came with the updated sonic 1/2/cd/3&k available for purchase at launch

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hell, just release the HD remakes on Steam. They did it for CD and I can't imagine it did that badly.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Hell, just release the HD remakes on Steam. They did it for CD and I can't imagine it did that badly.

The only plausible excuse I've heard for this not already happening is that licensing bullshit is preventing them from being released - whoever makes the crappy emulated version already on Steam probably has exclusive rights to release the game on that platform.

If Sonic Mania does well enough on the Switch, I hope Nintendo/Sega opt to release his Sonic 1/2 ports in lieu of bog standard Virtual Console versions.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

if it's not hydrocity like velocity I'll shoot myself, that's the better name!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought about moving my Sonic Mania CE preorder to Switch, but I think I'm gonna keep it on PS4 since Sonic with the Dualshock d-pad is more comfortable than with an analog stick. I'll probably get the Switch version in an eventual sale for portability reasons. Would have been an instant move if Switch got a physical copy.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm considering getting Mania on the Switch instead, I currently have a pre-order in the stupid CE for PS4 but I recently had a clear-out and re-arranged my bedroom, I don't really have anywhere to put dumb video game statues anymore.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I'm getting it on Switch but I wouldn't if I already wasn't getting a pro controller. 2D platformers without a dpad suck. I hope Nintendo makes a left joycon that has a dpad someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

if it's not hydrocity like velocity I'll shoot myself, that's the better name!

Yeah, pretty sure it's pronounced Hydro City, not Hydrossity. The Japanese name for the zone is ハイドロシティ (ha-i-do-ro-shi-ti), not ハイドロッシティ (ha-i-do-ro-sshi-ti).

Besides, Sonic zones are almost always adjective + noun + zone, they're never puns.