Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ImpactVector posted:

Bummer. So Helldivers isn't recommended?

I highly recommend Helldivers for couch co-op. I played the hell out of it before Rocket League took my PS4 hostage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

can you not order the business edition of yakuza 0 on amazon? please do not make me go to best buy, sega

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Megasabin posted:

I tried this War of Mine, and it seems kind of boring. Is there any more to the gameplay than building poo poo during the day, and going on raids at night?

That's mostly it from what I remember, but it also can get interesting the further you go as supplies dwindle and you have to make some tough choices.

fake edit: for co-op, Overcooked is a good one and Jackbox is good if you have multiple people over

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.
So uh, did anyone get the platinum headset? I was interested as I really liked my gold headset and was considering the upgrade.

But I think my wife has got me Astro A50's for my birthday this week so they are better than the platinum headset??

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

can you not order the business edition of yakuza 0 on amazon? please do not make me go to best buy, sega

Business edition is on Amazon, but the wording on the listing is weird and the business edition bonuses are not listed where they normally are. I had the same question and ended up calling Amazon customer service and they confirmed it for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpactVector posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for couch co-op games? Preferably ones that either aren't also on Steam or at least have more stuff or play better on the PS4.

Knack has couch co-op!

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

ImpactVector posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for couch co-op games? Preferably ones that either aren't also on Steam or at least have more stuff or play better on the PS4.

Can't comment on if they are on steam, as I don't play games on my computer at all, but here are the ones we enjoy

Overcooked - 4 players
Magicka 2 - 4 players
Helldivers - 4 players
Rocket League - 4 players
Gauntlet - 4 players (I think, it's been a while)
Diablo 3 - 4 players
Plants Versus Zombies Garden Warfare 2 - 2 player 3rd person shooter
Dungeon Defenders ----- it's been a while, can't recall how many people can play at once.

oh, and the kids still like minecraft for some reason.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Fozzie Bear posted:

Can't comment on if they are on steam, as I don't play games on my computer at all, but here are the ones we enjoy

Overcooked - 4 players
Magicka 2 - 4 players
Helldivers - 4 players
Rocket League - 4 players
Gauntlet - 4 players (I think, it's been a while)
Diablo 3 - 4 players
Plants Versus Zombies Garden Warfare 2 - 2 player 3rd person shooter
Dungeon Defenders ----- it's been a while, can't recall how many people can play at once.

oh, and the kids still like minecraft for some reason.
Thanks for the list. Despite the caveat, I'm not actually the one with the good Steam couch setup. I just have a few friends that do and have already played a good number of the highlights there.

But no one has Helldivers and I wouldn't mind a copy of Overcooked, so that's probably what I'll end up with.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Black Ops3 also has a poo poo load of couch co-op

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

ImpactVector posted:

Hmm. Idea has potential, but might be a hard sell. The fiance doesn't really do horror.

It's "horror" in the same way any 90s teen slasher flick was horror: you'll get a couple jump scares, a bunch of built-up tension, but generally speaking it's not "scary" in the same way an actual horror game is. I'm a huge wuss and I had zero problems with it. It also made for a hilarious week or two where every six seconds all the girls in the CRM dept around the corner were shrieking and then laughing as they played through it. That game is so much better than it had any right to be.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Have to second this, my wife and I are having a blast playing through the game. If these same people dropped a new interactive slasher movie game every couple of years I'd be down.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It's a horror pastiche because it's necessarily several times as long as any one movie. Psycho killer, dark creepy woods, ancient indian curses, crumbling abandoned buildings where you're not alone, it all comes up at some point. But yeah, there isn't a whole lot of sheer terror in it, and very little gore either from what I recall.

vvvvvvv True, but since a) there's only a ten or so characters in total and b) someone getting killed doesn't wind back time and make you try again it's not going to be happening every couple of minutes like in a typical horror game.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 17, 2017

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

haveblue posted:

It's a horror pastiche because it's necessarily several times as long as any one movie. Psycho killer, dark creepy woods, ancient indian curses, crumbling abandoned buildings where you're not alone, it all comes up at some point. But yeah, there isn't a whole lot of sheer terror in it, and very little gore either from what I recall.

Nah, people get their heads crushed in and you can see the chunks of flesh and eyeballs shoot out, characters can get their eyeballs gouged out, their jaws ripped off, impaled on hooks, stuff like that.

It's POSSIBLE for there to not be much gore. But some of the death scenes definitely go for it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah the first time someone died for me was a fall and it was disgusting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm enjoying Transformers Devastation but is it recommended that I just stick with one character for the whole game? I'm not sure I understand the EXP system and if unused characters don't level up I'd rather just focus on one character.

You are never forced to be a certain character (except for the beginning) if you're worried about suddenly being saddled with a character who's disadvantaged. And the game isn't very long so just play as the character you want.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Pierson posted:

Edit: If I wanted to play on a PC monitor is it true I can just plug a headset into the PS4 controller and have sound come via that right? How's the sound quality that way?

Yes, but you also have to check an option in the menus to send all sound to the headset. I only mention that because I'm an idiot and it took me way too long to figure that out.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Knightmare posted:

That's mostly it from what I remember, but it also can get interesting the further you go as supplies dwindle and you have to make some tough choices.

fake edit: for co-op, Overcooked is a good one and Jackbox is good if you have multiple people over

Overcooked is loving great BTW. My girlfriend and I played for like 2 hours last night and we both enjoyed it immensely. Last game we had that much fun playing together was Until Dawn

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

There aren't many good ones.

There are very many good ones on ps4 imo

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

RBA Starblade posted:

In a similar vein to the guy asking a couple pages ago, what's a good set of headphones for the ps4 (don't really need the mic) to pipe ingame audio through? I just realized that the PS4 can do that, and while the basic earbuds do it decently the sound cuts for a second every now and then. That LS30 looks nice but a bit outside the price I was looking for.
Unfortunately I don't think better headphones will fix the sound cutting out. I think it's just a limitation of the audio jack in the controller. Possibly a Bluetooth interference issue? I don't know but it really got on my nerves. If your setup includes a headphone jack anywhere else I'd recommend using that. What I do now is plug headphones into my A/V receiver and use the PS4 camera for voice.

The controller port is a great option in theory but the audio issues killed it for me. Using the system menu for volume adjustments was kind of annoying too but I could live with that if it had been the only problem.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 17, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Minidust posted:

Unfortunately I don't think better headphones will fix the sound cutting out. I think it's just a limitation of the audio jack in the controller. Possibly a Bluetooth interference issue? I don't know but it really got on my nerves. If your setup includes a headphone jack anywhere else I'd recommend using that. What I do now is plug headphones into my A/V receiver and use the PS4 camera for voice.

Unfortunately it doesn't, I was just going to get a wired silver headset after looking a bit. I'll hold off and look into it more then, thanks.

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Captain Yossarian posted:

Overcooked is loving great BTW. My girlfriend and I played for like 2 hours last night and we both enjoyed it immensely. Last game we had that much fun playing together was Until Dawn

I have been playing overcooked with my 3 kids (9,6,4), and our sessions go pretty much the same each time. We pass one or two missions, then someone burns something on the stove, and it becomes a frantic race to ruin the kitchen and block me as I try to clean up. We all end up dying of laughter.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wait, gravity rush comes out tomorrow?on Weds? Weird.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I thought it came out on Friday for US

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh. Sure enough it does. poo poo I was looking forward to playing that tonight.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

I finally finished Gravity Rush just before the second ones comes out. When you go into the deep down it's some ash lake level poo poo. I hope the second has more of that.

I hope so too because that whole chain of events was my favorite part of the game. Going inside the pillar and seeing how loving weird it is inside was really cool.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Marogareh posted:

I hope so too because that whole chain of events was my favorite part of the game. Going inside the pillar and seeing how loving weird it is inside was really cool.

Eurogamer did a tech review of it and mentioned that there are things in the clouds and far below as well, so it sounds like we're getting a return to that sort of world building.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, beyond the cool mechanics and art style, that was what really sold me on gravity rush. It goes in some really unexpected and cool places.

Bleh. I just had a copy of GR2 in my hands and got shut down at the checkout haha. drat.

E: they did say it comes out tomorrow though.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 17, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Playing Last Guardian. I threw some food at Trico but he missed and the food fell to the bottom floor 20 feet below. Now it's looking at me like it expects me to get another one and I feel bad :(

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

You can play WD2 right now for free. Give it a shot, much better than the last one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkAqFrIs4Z4

edit: https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/watch-dogs-2/cid=UP0001-CUSA04459_00-WD2FULLGAME00000

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 17, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Renoistic posted:

Playing Last Guardian. I threw some food at Trico but he missed and the food fell to the bottom floor 20 feet below. Now it's looking at me like it expects me to get another one and I feel bad :(

Congrats, goon, you're now a parent!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I kind of fell out with Watch Dogs 2 at some point pre-holiday in the rush. Then it died down and now I am playing it a bit daily. I just decided to get the grenade launcher and set myself as a target in Bounties.

I just got sniped by a guy on the street when I was on a tallllll building. I grenaded him first and I saw the explosion land at his feet. He was standing by a wall, and It was a perfect hit on my part. He barely flinched. Is the Grenade Launcher not damaging enough to human targets?

[edit] I mean splash damage sure as gently caress kills the police.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Renoistic posted:

That hasn't happened to me but it seems like 80% of the time Trico won't snatch it out of the air.

I've learned to just walk up and hit O so you just plop it right in front of his dumb face.

Really like the game. I played it for 2 hours on release and put another 4 or 5 in it this weekend. Game is good.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bloodychill posted:

It's prime time for them to completely gently caress up the FF7 remake.

that's a nomura game so you won't see them gently caress that up for at least another 5 years

kingdom hearts 3 got pushed into next year as well

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Kingdom Hearts 3 never had a release window to begin with but it's starting to look like a 2019 title by now.

Square need to fire Nomura hard and fast and a decade ago

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

That hasn't happened to me but it seems like 80% of the time Trico won't snatch it out of the air.

I've learned to just walk up and hit O so you just plop it right in front of his dumb face.

Really like the game. I played it for 2 hours on release and put another 4 or 5 in it this weekend. Game is good.

He gives you a really distinct "I'm ready" look before he will catch it out of the air. You have to stand there holding it in front of him for a few seconds most of the time.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm probably gonna get the platinums so I'll let y'alls know how it is

Pierson posted:

Cheers man, will keep it in mind.

The Pro is the new one with doubled power right? I'm mainly looking at the back catalogue, longer loading times don't bother me, and I don't even own a 4K TV. Most likely I'll get one used/refurb Slim there's some advantage to buying new.

Edit: If I wanted to play on a PC monitor is it true I can just plug a headset into the PS4 controller and have sound come via that right? How's the sound quality that way?

The sound is over Bluetooth via the remote so keep that in mind. That said if you have some heavy duty headphones you might need an amp

bloodychill posted:

It's prime time for them to completely gently caress up the FF7 remake.

Curious when we might actually see it. The small video they did release looked good. Hope E3 has some info. I'm hoping next Xmas at best lol. Also aren't they splitting the game up? I guess I'm ok with that if i means we get it sooner

ImpactVector posted:

Borderlands Handsome collection
Resogun
Lara Croft and the temple of Osiris
Child of Light is co-op ish
Trine 2

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Nomura put out a statement last week saying both KH3 and FF7 remake are no where near done, and to not expect them soon.

Nomura really seems to have become inefficient at his job in his later years. I know the dude probably commands a lot of respect for his earlier work, but Square should probably put their foot down before we get two more FFXV-esque projects. You know where after 5+ years he has to be bailed out, and the team that takes over finds a mess of ideas still in the concept stages.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really wonder when development first started on kh3 because that could be way older than ff15 even. kh2 was in 2005 and what followed was a bunch of handheld/mobile games

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I'm a new PS4 owner. What driving game should I get? Is there a good rally game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Nomura put out a statement last week saying both KH3 and FF7 remake are no where near done, and to not expect them soon.

Nomura really seems to have become inefficient at his job in his later years. I know the dude probably commands a lot of respect for his earlier work, but Square should probably put their foot down before we get two more FFXV-esque projects. You know where after 5+ years he has to be bailed out, and the team that takes over finds a mess of ideas still in the concept stages.

I think i read somewhere that nomura is pretty much at the idea stage for the entirety of production. Meaning nothing ever gets done cause he'll have a new and better idea for what they're making every 6 months.
So yeah, they should fire him