Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FreudianSlippers posted:

That's like mixing up Madonna and Mayhem.

If Homer Simpson's makeup shotgun was real both bands would have something in common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Antioch posted:

I did this with 'The Illusionist' and 'The Prestige' when those two came out around the same time. I was halfway into the Illusionist wondering when the hell wolverine was going to show up.

That's one of those weird double movies that get released close to each other with the same theme. There's a Wikipedia page on it; reading the examples list shows that not all of them are created equal, by a long shot.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Memento posted:

That's one of those weird double movies that get released close to each other with the same theme. There's a Wikipedia page on it; reading the examples list shows that not all of them are created equal, by a long shot.

Thanks for the link. I didn't know this was a named phenomenon.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I remember first noticing it with Tombstone/Wyatt Earp & later with Armageddon/Deep Impact.

Some of the pairings are a bit weak, though. Like Braveheart/Rob Roy.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah and Pacific Rim/Godzilla is pretty tenuous as well because the former is a clear homage and the latter is a remake of a remake of a remake.

I always thought one possibility was that you had a bunch of scriptwriters sitting around spitballing ideas and then both of them go away from the meeting with the same idea and put together a treatment for it. Then it goes through screenplay, editing and final acceptance stages without either of them being aware of the other. By that time, contracts are signed and it's too late to back out for either of them, so you get two super similar movies coming out within months of each other.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
One money guy hears about a new project being backed by another money guy on the golf course, so he tells an assistant to dig through the giant pile of spec scripts to find a few of that same theme to get the ball rolling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah I'm sure there's a lot of cross-contamination of ideas. Plus there's always a whole bunch of projects in various stages of completion, so sometimes the higher-ups might move things around because there are whispers that their golf buddy slash rival film CEO has a similar project going.

I mean, when a film is officially announced, it's too late to throw together a competitor (unless you're Asylum).

e: golf-reference high-five

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Yeah that page is kinda bullshit:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, there's a couple of others that seemed a stretch to me. I mean, there's obvious ones like Antz and A Bug's Life which are well known, or Shark Tale and Finding Nemo, but some of them are simply the result of films being in roughly the same genre. No poo poo sci-fi in the late 90s dealt with virtual worlds.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Also, they totally left off Six Sense and Stir of Echos, which came out within like, 2 months of each other, both heavily featuring kids who see ghosts. Also, I'd say eXistenZ goes much better with The Matrix than Dark City. I love eXistenZ but boy did the previews hype up the "virtual vs real world" angle when the film came out like, 6 weeks after The Matrix took over the theaters.

Also some of these are super ridiculous. Like, movies 3 years apart that only tangentially are related??

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
There was a section in the book about the making of The Trouble With Tribbles that goes into this phenomenon. There's departments in TV whose sole job it is to see if what you're about to produce is unknowingly a ripoff of another property, and how it's super easy for writers to not realize it.

For content: I just learned, today, that spreadable butter was a thing.

I thought it was just a thing, you had to suffer with too-cold-to-easily-spread butter during the fall and winter months because no matter how high room temperature is, it's not going to make butter spreadable.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jan 17, 2017

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Room temperature has nothing to do with butter for most americans, since they're terrified of spoilage no matter the time period or storage method

But of course day+ old pizza kept on the table in a cardboard box is fine

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sentient Data posted:

Room temperature has nothing to do with butter for most americans, since they're terrified of spoilage no matter the time period or storage method

But of course day+ old pizza kept on the table in a cardboard box is fine

The girlfriend and I just moved into an apartment and she keeps putting my butter back in the fridge convinced it's going to spoil. I just want to butter my toast without destroying the bread drat it.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Sentient Data posted:

I've lived in the US my whole life, I've always kept some butter out at room temperature and I've never encountered spoiled butter. Like I guess it should be possible for it to go rancid but I've never seen it...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

I've lived in the US my whole life, I've always kept some butter out at room temperature and I've never encountered spoiled butter. Like I guess it should be possible for it to go rancid but I've never seen it...

There's very little water in butter and also (unless it's disgusting butter for hell idiots) a lot of salt. Not very good for growing mold or anything. If it starts going rancid you just skim the bad stuff off the top and underneath it'll be perfectly fine.

e: I keep my butter in the fridge but sometimes I forget it on top or something.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Choco1980 posted:

Also, I'd say eXistenZ goes much better with The Matrix than Dark City. I love eXistenZ but boy did the previews hype up the "virtual vs real world" angle when the film came out like, 6 weeks after The Matrix took over the theaters.

No love for the 13th Floor? (came out 6 weeks after eXistenZ)

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I keep my butter in a bell crock. You put a little water in the bottom and it makes a seal.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I keep my butter in a bell crock. You put a little water in the bottom and it makes a seal.

quote:

The Butter Bell Crocks are made in China [...] they contain no lead or cadmium.

What they mean is they contain hell of lead and cadmium and probably other poisons as well.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I keep my butter in the fridge because in my part of Texas, during most of the year my house can't be cooled below 78 (try, and the air conditioner ices up) and butter melts on the counter. People routinely tell me this is impossible, because butter cannot melt at room temperature. Those people can gently caress themselves because I loving live here in real life and see it with my loving eyes

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I don't think 78 is room temperature unless you live in a Godforsaken hell hole.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Uh, yeah. He said Texas.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

yeah I figured it was pretty obvious that I live in Satan's rear end in a top hat, since I gave my location

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Look, everything I believe says Texas is a hellhole but King of the Hill doesn't make it look any more backwards than the part of Ohio I just moved away from so I don't know what to believe

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
It's just as backwards only forty degrees hotter and commensurately stupider.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

well, Ohio is also a hellhole, hope that helps

Texas is just a hellhole that's also as hot as actual hell

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I tend to have unsalted butter around for cooking, and that stays in the fridge. It will spoil.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Memento posted:

It's just as backwards only forty degrees hotter and commensurately stupider.

I dunno does Texas have Amish? Because if it doesn't I think Ohio might win out.

Those people drive black buggies, at night, in the snow, with only a lantern hanging off the side to tell you they're there. Fuckers.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Powaqoatse posted:

I remember first noticing it with Tombstone/Wyatt Earp & later with Armageddon/Deep Impact.

Some of the pairings are a bit weak, though. Like Braveheart/Rob Roy.

The first really weak one that stood out to me was "An American Tail"/"The Great Mouse Detective". I mean, I didn't confuse the two when I was eight. Also, anyone who seriously thinks "Lincoln" and "Abraham Lincoln the Vampire Hunter" are twins should make friends with the guy who confused the Fugees and Fugazi.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yep, that's the problem with Wikipedia, unless it's a niche thing that most people don't understand, the fact that anyone can edit it means a list like that ends up looking like something from TvTropes.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

The first really weak one that stood out to me was "An American Tail"/"The Great Mouse Detective". I mean, I didn't confuse the two when I was eight. Also, anyone who seriously thinks "Lincoln" and "Abraham Lincoln the Vampire Hunter" are twins should make friends with the guy who confused the Fugees and Fugazi.

I had a class with a guy who thought Lincoln and ALVH were the same movie. I think his excuse was "I don't watch trailers."

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I think there were some programs in the early-mid 20th century to promote food safety and were passed on by boomers to their kids, to the point where lots of people instinctively think "butter is dairy, dairy must be refrigerated at all times" and "pork must be cooked to leathery cinders to kill trichinosis". Some people will act like you slapped down a week-old raw fish if you give them butter from the counter or a medium-rare pork chop.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

hogmartin posted:

I think there were some programs in the early-mid 20th century to promote food safety and were passed on by boomers to their kids, to the point where lots of people instinctively think "butter is dairy, dairy must be refrigerated at all times" and "pork must be cooked to leathery cinders to kill trichinosis". Some people will act like you slapped down a week-old raw fish if you give them butter from the counter or a medium-rare pork chop.

I have a friend who did exactly that. He was given a pork chop and went "This is medium rare. That's not safe." and he ate it anyway. Then the next day he texted me saying he didn't feel good and that he hopes it wasn't from the pork.

In his defense he did just get over food poisoning so he was probably already on edge.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MisterBibs posted:

For content: I just learned, today, that spreadable butter was a thing.
As in, the butter mixed with oil that's been common for a long time, or the relatively new triple-churned spreadable butter?

Memento posted:

Yep, that's the problem with Wikipedia, unless it's a niche thing that most people don't understand, the fact that anyone can edit it means a list like that ends up looking like something from TvTropes.
The real problem is that articles like that are even allowed. There's no way a list like that can be objective.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I haven't watched Yu-Gi-Oh in about 15 years but I just realized Mai Valentine is a play on "My Valentine"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

As in, the butter mixed with oil that's been common for a long time, or the relatively new triple-churned spreadable butter?

The ones that have been around forever. I go to the store, I get the box with four sticks that lasts me months, and I've never looked at anything else.

I guess I've learned another type of butter exists.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
I always thought Staples was a dumb name for a store.

Just had an epiphany this morning... it's staples, as in essentials...

:aaaaa:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bad Llama posted:

They also sell staples! And the L in the logotype is a bent staple.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 14:35 on Jan 18, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

I haven't watched Yu-Gi-Oh in about 15 years but I just realized Mai Valentine is a play on "My Valentine"

Jesus Christ

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Bad Llama posted:

Trust Sleepy's ... for the rest of your life

(also, :eng101: sleepy's is repranding itself as Mattress Master or something dumber for god knows what reason)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer

sweeperbravo posted:

Trust Sleepy's ... for the rest of your life

(also, :eng101: sleepy's is repranding itself as Mattress Master or something dumber for god knows what reason)

I'm still not sure how I feel about Sleepy's slogan. Yeah I get it's the REST of your life (which admittedly was an initial WTF moment)... but I'll be damned if that doesn't conjure up images of a death bed in my head anyways.

:rip: